Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Honest HFY Question-

Hey Vic-

I have stayed off this thread since I got my answer and left-lurking for a post or 2 then leaving since I knew where this was going

That being said-and at the rate of having this post of mine also misread and attacked as a double and or hidden meaning by suspicious minds who breed their own demons and ghosts-

Having met Garrett Gee twice and breaking bread with him,I don't believe the "attitude" is coming from him

I think it's more along the lines of what happened when Grandmaster Cheung first came out and all the HK Ving Tsun guys who saw the differences jumped on the TWC bandwagon to the point of zealots-if you think back to those days-how many were willing to just put up and bang over any implied or non implied slight,and how many were willing to even take a bullet or him if need be-I know I would have back then

Phil Holder-"Mad Dog" even made it public he would-

So I personally just think it's not him,again having met and spoken with him a few times-

ok-let's see how this gets turned around into something that's not-
    Last edited by drleungjohn; 02-12-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling

I can see the frustration on both sides of this unfortunate situation (maybe not agree, but see). Hopefully we can move passed it.

Parlati sifu, I agree with your statement that we (generic "we") cannot make definitive statements about TWC without first hand, direct experience. I agree 100%, and feel that it goes both ways. I really enjoyed the parts of this thread that were sharing (not comparing)... they were very interesting and enjoyable.

Also (and I really hope this does not come across as defensive or argumentative to anyone - NOT what I mean), I understand what you are saying about a "mentality." I would only like to add that there are (don't know exactly) a few hundred people training HFY, but only a dozen or so who post with frequency. Admittedly, they are probably among the most "gung ho" or "passionate" or whatever, and some express themselves and there frustrations better than others, but there is unfortunately no way online to "prove" that there are a significant number of regular, calm, easy-going people offline as well (and some hot heads I'm sure, just like in any large group).

I know there are probably thousands of TWC practicioners (and YM, and YKS, and every other branch), but only a small minority engage in these online discussions. I try to participate when I can, but I get very frustrated and dismayed at being stereotyped... my time is limited as it is, and it makes me (and perhaps others) feel like participation is fruitless if minds are already made up about me just because of the training methods I use to learn to defend myself. I mean, wow, if we judge each other by the worst member of our family, I don't think anyone will come out clean. And FWIW, I don't always agree with my sihingdai. I try to be discreet about resolving those disagreements, but we are all (hopefully) adults, and have our own views of things. I've come down on people in my own school, and I've had the thunder brought down on me when I screw up as well. It's all good.

Also, (again, my intention is to demonstrate my opinion and not to start anything), when I hear these two things:

1. Gee sifu MUST be controlling you guys and setting the tone.

2. If he isn't, Gee sifu SHOULD be controlling you (or Meng sifu, or whomever) to take care of this issue.

...it seems like there is no way to solve the issue. D@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't. That's why I rarely participate... every conversation becomes a double-edged sword. I'd rather train. At least there I can leave better than I arrived.

Gee sifu has never ORDERED anyone to do anything AFAIK. In the years I have been learning HFY, I have never been given (or heard) any "orders". He has certainly expressed his personal preferences (for example he is not fond of videos and such), and some of those have been honored, and some have not. He knows that we do not live in an ancient Chinese family, and he understands that we are all free to express ourselves however we wish (even if it is very badly). He is known for giving his opinion and stepping back to see if we are paying attention and have considered what he has said. He lets us all stand (and fall) on our own merits.

Could he be stricter? Yes. Could he be more wide open? Yes. He just is what he is. I can't count how many times he has said (in one form or another) that he doesn't care if you like him or his students or business or online studd or books or videos or whatever. He only cares if you personaly relate to HFY. If you do, welcome aboard. If you don't, best of luck and well wishes on your journey. I can respect that. After all, this is a free modern world.

I think if one posts here, then questions directed to them are fair game (may or may not be answered, but certainly fair game). Bringing people in who have never (or not in a long time) posted seems fruitless, especially when there are other, more direct ways of getting answers. I try (not always successful) to keep my name dropping limited to those in the conversation. If we all did this, perhaps we could avoid these sadly-all-too-frequent explosions from occurring.

I am in no way denying or off-setting what anyone has said. Opinions are opinions, and really (without facts) are not things that can be contested. I am only offering mine here as well.

Much respect to everyone. Be well and train well, and hopefully this year of the rat will bring about a better way for us to communicate.

Now everyone, please, take a breather, drink some wine, do some snt, whatever. Let's regroup with cooler heads. This thread is dead (or really should be shot and put out of its misery).

Be well and train well.

-Levi

Although it was a VTM article it was not clear that this was the case, IMO GM Gee was upset because the article could be percieved as showing a general disrespect to the MA community from HFY, which is not the case.
    OK, good. That makes sense. It also perhaps betrays from whom the pattern of advertorial statements that could be "percieved as showing a general disrespect to the MA community from HFY" are actually coming from.

While we are all critical of each other's behaviour on here, the fact is that no one posting here is without sin, recent moralising posts to the contrary. Expect to be called out if you post obvious rubbish or pompous, moralistic crap.

I'd prefer that people be themselves, arguments insults or no, rather than as a come across bunch of moralisers and pompous pseudo-Zen airheads. This forum is more like a bar than an academic institution. Nothing wrong with that IMO, if you disagree no one's making you stay.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Rediculous.....

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Respect is something that can be given freely from the start, but it's something that is only held when the person continues to show they've earned and deserve it. IMO, by the way victor conducted himself here, he has lost that respect.
    You guys have lost focus in taking a defencive position.

Hell, ive disagreed with many on this forum over time but i always can reach the 'agree to disagree' stage. Perhaps cause im content with what i have and no matter what others say it aint changing my experiences which control my opinions.

Ive been generally interested about HFY Kiu Sao and how it relates to elements in my VT. But all ive got is generalisations and no straight foward answers.

Im told cause i havent got hands on experience it cant be conveyed...please LOL.

Ive explained in words my VT Kung Fu to friends that do BJJ, TKB, Boxing, Karate, they came away with a basic knowledge/understanding of my approach mindset and techs....physical behaviour believe it or not is universal in martial arts.

I asked what are the differences in facings between Chi Sao and Kiu Sao ?
    to address this one aspect at a time..... after i offered my own approach as the ice breaker !

Why is that so hard to answer ?

I did it in one post, Vic offered his POV, approach in a few posts.....

30 odd pages from HFY and were still not there........
    Its a shame.

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 02-13-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98