Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Honest HFY Question-

Honest HFY Question-

no tricks or bait and switch-black and white-yes or no please...
    Does HFY have a Gwai ma section in their Biu Jee form?

Hey DR.LJ,

Are you John Cresione?

Sauchi

LOL, didn't see a 'yes' or a 'know' in that reply!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

That's Me!!!!

Yes-Hi Matt how are you!!

How's things?

Hey John, good thanks!

I'm going to answer your question:

Yes, they do.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Hey John, good thanks!

I'm going to answer your question:

Yes, they do.
    Interesting, so does TWC. Sifu Ryan Kennedy from Toronto demonstates it here:
    http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/clips.asp
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Interesting, so does TWC. Sifu Ryan Kennedy from Toronto demonstates it here:
    http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/clips.asp

Hey Phil!

When was this "secret" revealed? That wasn't part of the 3rd form when I learned it from John Clayton. It also wasn't part of the 3rd form in Master Cheung's book.

Hi Keith-

How's it going man?
    That was a pre USA thing that was taken out and then put back in-I have seen a few variations of it-

Hey Punch

-check you pm here bro'

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Hey Phil!

When was this "secret" revealed? That wasn't part of the 3rd form when I learned it from John Clayton. It also wasn't part of the 3rd form in Master Cheung's book.
    First of all Capt'n I want to make it clear that there are no secrets. I don't want to get slammed here again for my joke about it . . .lol
    The Gwai Mah has been a part of the form for years. When Sifu Delroi Flood from Bermuda went to Australia in the 80's he saw the Aussies doing the Gwai Mah and showed it to me. We would pratice it but never taught it. Also, I have a video from a 2006 L.A. seminar where Joe Sayah asks Sifu Cheung about the Gwai Mah section of the Biu Jee form that was taught years ago and if we could start teaching it again. Sifu said OK so it's back in the form. There are also kicks on the dummy that many people may not have seen that are taught now. There is footage of Sifu doing the dummy form with those kicks when he went to the VTTA in HK in the late 70's to show the forms. In fact there are things I hadn't seen before myself that have been taught in the last few years. But remember, they aren't secrets but just things Sifu has decided to teach now.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

The Gwai Mah was part of the form when I learned it in c. 1991-2 while my academy was still part of the WWCKFA.

I've been taught the 16 kick dummy set, and another chi gerk dummy set, but AFAIK these were not on the curriculum from 1989-1996 (whne I started TWC and when my instructor left the WWCKFA). My instructor had learned them at some earlier time from GM Cheung.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    The Gwai Mah was part of the form when I learned it in c. 1991-2 while my academy was still part of the WWCKFA.

I've been taught the 16 kick dummy set, and another chi gerk dummy set, but AFAIK these were not on the curriculum from 1989-1996 (whne I started TWC and when my instructor left the WWCKFA). My instructor had learned them at some earlier time from GM Cheung.
    I concur with you Andrew. The Gwai Mah was taught a long time ago. Keith Young who's been a student under Sifu Cheung since 1979 will say the same thing.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Gwai Ma

John,
    In response to your question, HFY does indeed have Gwai Ma.
    But I don't think getting this answered is your real motive. Gwai ma is all over the place in traditional Kung Fu systems, and your question is as silly as someone asking if martial art uses arms and legs.
    Given your history with Robert hopefully this isn't some cheap attempt to further propogate rumors Robert started about TWC and HFY somehow being stolen or borrowing from each other. If so next thing you know maybe you will take the stance that Choi Lee Fut came from HFY or TWC since they too use Gwai Ma.

Matt
    People often choose the comfort of known misery
    to the discomfort of unfamiliar uncertainty -Unknown

Honest HFY Question-
    no tricks or bait and switch-black and white-yes or no please...
    Does HFY have a Gwai ma section in their Biu Jee form?
    By default John through your connection with Robert Chu any question you have for HFY is seen as insincere of questionable motive and in this particular case as a waste of time since the way this question was formed shows a lack of common knowledge on your part no understanding of Chinese and that you are willing to risk looking foolish for some reason when you could have very easily done a search of this forum on your own and formed an intelligent opinion as to the answer and then asked a more credible question.

Even with the trivial and frivolous answer provided by Mr. Punch he comes off as slightly more credible than yourself even if he did have a 50/50 chance of guessing southern arts sometimes have things in common.

I agree with Matt on the surface your question sounds silly but my analogy would be akin to asking a southern martial artist do you use sao in your system. Gwai Ma is present in all southern martial arts in some form or another. Gwai Ma is more a term emphasizing the use of the knee but more times than not any specific use because it is a general term. Any system which emphasizes tin yaan dei as Hung Fa Yi does and being a southern martial art will utilize Gwai Ma but it will not be specific to the Bui Jee level because again it is a general term.

If Robert has any more questions tell him to ask them himself.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

You 2 guys are something-

Real good way to win friends and influence people-so because I know Robert I'm guilty of what?

Robert is his own man-I am not his mouthpiece

How about this guys-Yip man lineage doesn't have it in the forms,Yeun Kay San does-so easy to ask a question if I don't know an answer-why "assume"?

How many bs threads and flame wars have I been involved with on this forum?

How often do I post here?

My history on this board is non confrontational !

I have been on good terms to Benny and Gee sifu for a long time.

Why create a problem that isn't here due to knee jerk reaction?

I asked a black and white question-period.