Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evasion in WC?

KFF,

I haven't studied Western boxing nor JKD.

What I use is the kuen/boxing of (Hei Ban/Opera Company) Wing Chun.

Suki Gosal
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    do people still attack charging down the centerline ?
    Yes.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

From another recent thread here on KFO....here is a clip of Wong Shun Leung sharing insights on this topic:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M72H7q2iabM

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    From another recent thread here on KFO....here is a clip of Wong Shun Leung sharing insights on this topic:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M72H7q2iabM
    Keith,
    Please note that he's talking about 'dodging'. He also demonstrates this at the beginning of the clip. What I'm talking about is a much more subtle movement - not bobbing and weaving.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Keith,
    Please note that he's talking about 'dodging'. He also demonstrates this at the beginning of the clip. What I'm talking about is a much more subtle movement - not bobbing and weaving.

Bill
    Agreed..

Moving the line, angling, can be done with a subtle slip, or movement of the head--evasion.. Bobbing in the sense of WB, IMO is not seen in the system--doesn't mean you can't do it....
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    So you use more of a western boxing/JKD type approach to defend?
    those are general ideas, that are not excluded from WC.

It may not be emphasised but its there IMO....

The triangle horse in my VT is all about superior positioning when bridges are in contact and evasion when not in contact.

Thats footwork evasion, weaving is another story.

I utilise actions from the dummy form for weaving away from actions where needed. Footwork is very important for support though and it tends to be towards the outside,(just my habbit now i think about it )

Youll find 'a VT weave' (IMO) in the first section with the side kick, after the first Dai Bong.

Because VT deals with minimal movement, short actions etc evasion for me is very minute. Not as emphasised as say a boxers movements. Although when wearing big gloves my action becomes bigger because the weapon im evading is bigger.

A Wu Sao which checks and protects with a punch is my most used evasion tech, (triangle footwork again) very similar to something youd see from other arts just with VT flavour.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    The triangle horse in my VT is all about superior positioning when bridges are in contact and evasion when not in contact.
    Agreed. I just see it as 'superior positioning' be there contact or not.

Footwork is very important for support though and it tends to be towards the outside,(just my habbit now i think about it )
    I think that's more or less the norm for the system. Some folks I trained with would keep working to the outside until they got behind you. Then they'd take out the legs, etc.
    Because VT deals with minimal movement, short actions etc evasion for me is very minute. Not as emphasised as say a boxers movements.
    Exactly.. Here we see conservation of motion again as an integral part of the system.
    Although when wearing big gloves my action becomes bigger because the weapon im evading is bigger.
    Bingo again.. And IMO the openings are often smaller and the angles needed to make them can get bigger too..
    Last edited by YungChun; 01-20-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Contact evasion...

We should note VT also has its own flavour of 'slipping evasion' during contact.

If i Use Tan against a striaght punch and the opponent is stepping foward and fully commited, my Tans contact point does not continue to follow the intital touch point of the weapon/punch.
    Its angled in such a way that any further force is moving outside your body and if the opponnet is still moving forward at the time contact is made the punch slips down my Tan making my hand become closer and closer to the opponents mass.

A quick change from Tan to a punch, Ka Blamm. Short and sharp.

IMO this is another type of slipping found in VT and its available in many other VT actions too.

Space and timing are paramount, and your opponnet has to commit but its all there IMO....

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Youll find 'a VT weave' (IMO) in the first section with the side kick, after the first Dai Bong.
    Hey Drew! I'm sure that there are more examples of this type of weave found in the Wooden Man Form.

A 'signature' type technique from Lee Shing was something called 'Wang Wan Yiu', like a revolving waist, which allows you to slip closer to the body of your opponent while maintaning high and mid cover. Useful very close as the elbows drive upwards and into the centre quite rapidly while the hands can catch and manipulate if need be...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術