Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How many times do fighters get KTFO'd in your practices?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    sorry, I just renewed my liability insurance and they now ask for your website and I link to youtube on my website and didn't want to get turned down due to seemingly excessive risk.

if you have a big enough download rate, I'll be happy to email them to you but they are like 70mb. I'll put them back up after I know the insurance has cleared and my annual reinspection occurs.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thanks. I'll wait until they're back up.

I always like watching folks spar...it helps me get ideas for our training. I've been putting together a san da program for about 6 months or so...at least really focusing on it for that long, so its cool to see how others are going about it/doing it.
    A unique snowflake

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    well, there's a few clips of light/medium sparring still up, just not the ko clip.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Ross
    Conditioning meaning what? In terms of him getting tired and dropping hands? Certainly agree. In terms of him being able to "take a hit" (ie toughness)? Could not disagree more. Clarification please?

I don't know guys. I am not a pro-fighter nor will I ever be one. No desire to. Outside of going pro, there is no need IMO to do anything past medium contact. Everyone has their opinions, everyone has their ego. But in the end **** ain't funny when memory starts to go, blurred vision starts creeping in, and headaches come on in the drop of a hat.
    Now maybe I am a puss, but I have had several low to mid grade concussions, mostly from hockey and Lacrosse, but a few (easpecially the last few) from training. Started to get scary when headaches would not go away!
    In the end one has to ask, "Why?" Why am I getting concussions? From my training. "We go hard / Gotta' hold my mud / gotta nut up" etc. are all things I hear often with the martial arts. But in the end one has to weigh out the +'s with the -'s! Is being a "man" worth lossing memory? Blurred vision permanantly? Headaches at the slightest touch of the head or from bright light? To me the answer is an emphatic NO! I do not train to be a pro (even they are not abusive to their bodies like that), and even if I did the risk is not worth it to me.
    I really value my brain, and of course when we are all young we have the "young, dumb, full of cum" attitude and could care less. But over time your values switch. My worst nightmare is getting injured (lets just say with a massive concussion/brain injury) doing what I love, the result being I can no longer do what I love for risk of potential injury! I would rather avoid the situation and go lighter. Than to say **** it, go hard, get hurt, and then look back saying "I shoulda......"

Jake

PS God I am starting to sound old
    I agree with you alot on that.Basically you get instructors under 30 yrs old,They teach mostly out of ego.Forgetting the fact that no matter if you have a student to sign a wavier form it really doesn't matter these days.They will still try and sue you.My guys and i always go medium contact and also discuss our fighting practice to understand why did i get hit or what we should have done and make it better.You really can't do that with going full contact and egos running wild,Its becomes more like i have to get you back.I don't know anyone that would take a full shot at someone that didn't want to return the favor.

NOt exactly a KO

I recently watched sparring in test and they were going at it. They had to stop the fight for a minute or so because one person looked as if she was about to topple over. She had taken a shot to the head and started wobbling. I believe both fighters in addition to the head gear had clear face masks on (because I think they were minors). Maybe it could be considered a "standing 8" but it was the first time I had seen something like that happen for real.

Since it was a test, I think the intensity level was a bit higher than usual. In sparring, we are told that "control" is a key component because we are still leaning and the intent is not to kill the other person. My teacher tries to match us up by either size or body weight most times but I enjoy sparring different types of people. Even with emphasis on things like 'control' there are people out there who just take this time to whale on more inexperienced fighters or tend to over do it. In those situations, I feel inclined to "return the favor." However, there is really no reason for going full contact when training. If one were to do that, then even simple self defense techniques would put people out of commission if done with no control.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

chronic traumatic encephalopathy

Concussions Linked to Condition Similar to ALS
    Study Shows Repeated Head Traumas May Raise Risk of Symptoms Seen in Lou Gehrig's Disease
    By Denise Mann
    WebMD Health News
    Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

Aug. 17, 2010 -- Repetitive head traumas and concussions, including the type sustained by many professional football players, may increase risk for developing a motor neuron disease that looks and acts a lot like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig’s disease. The disease is calledchronic traumatic encephalopathy.

The new findings appear in the September issue of the Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology.

"We are not suggesting that this is the same disease as ALS," says study researcher Robert Cantu, MD, clinical professor of neurosurgery at Boston University School of Medicine and co-director of The Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy there. "We think this is a disease that mimics ALS in terms of the spinal cord."

ALS attacks nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord resulting in progressive muscle weakness and wasting, according to the ALS Association. When chronic traumatic encephalopathy affects the brain and spinal cord, the symptoms are similar to what is seen in ALS.

Testing Tissue of Pro Athletes

In the new National Football League-funded study,researchers looked at tissue samples taken from the brain and spinal cords of 12 deceased athletes. Three of the 12 athletes -- pro football players Wally Hilgenberg and Eric Scoggins and one professional boxer/veteran -- had developed a motor neuron disease; two died after being diagnosed with ALS.

But the new research suggests that the three athletes may have actually had chronic traumatic encephalopathy. There was an abnormal form of tau protein in the brain and spinal cords of all 12 athletes. This abnormal protein is a hallmark of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

What's more, 10 of the 12 also showed a second abnormal protein called TDP-43 in their brains. Only three of those 10 also had evidence of this protein in their spinal cord, and these were the same three athletes who were diagnosed with motor neuron disease, the researchers report.

This may have resulted in some of the ALS-like symptoms that led to the erroneous ALS diagnosis, Cantu explains. TDP-43 is found in brains of people who are diagnosed with ALS, but the amount was more extensive in the athletes than in their counterparts with true ALS.

Did Lou Gehrig Have Lou Gehrig's Disease?

The new findings suggest that professional baseball player Lou Gehrig may not have died from Lou Gehrig’s disease.

"Maybe Lou Gehrig had chronic traumatic encephalopathy," Cantu says. He sustained at least five documented concussions during his career. In addition, there are reports that he was knocked unconscious for five minutes after being struck in the head with a ball. He also played football at Columbia University before joining the New York Yankees.

Gehrig's brain and spinal cord tissue cannot be analyzed, so the truth may never come to light.

Going forward, "we need to get a better grasp of the incidence of this," says Cantu, who was recently appointed senior advisor to the National Football League Head, Neck and Spine committee.

"From this research hopefully will come animal research to get an animal model of the disease and then, we can work on medications and other therapies that could modify the disease in animals and then if successful, go on to humans," Cantu says, adding that the new study is very preliminary.
    Brain Injuries of Combat Veterans

Time is of the essence. Traumatic brain injury has become the signature injury of the Afghanistan and Iraq war, suggesting that some veterans may be prone to this ALS-like disease.

"I suspect we see it in individuals with injuries such as blast injury," he says. Given the numbers of soldiers who develop these injuries, "this is very worrisome," Cantu says.

"The study just provides new information on the possibility that some motor neuron diseases are due to multiple concussion and head trauma from collision sports injuries," says Raymond A. Sobel, MD, a professor of pathology at Stanford University Medical Center and the editor of the Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology. Earlier studies have suggested that there was a link between head trauma and these diseases, but the new work is the first time that there has been evidence seen in the brain and spinal cord.

More study is needed before any sweeping conclusions can be drawn, he tells WebMD.

"This research may lead to a better understanding of what is happening in people with these diseases at a molecular level, which could lead to therapies or help preventing also in people who are at risk," he says.

"It is premature to say we may have misdiagnosed patients who were thought to have ALS," says Erik Pioro, MD, PhD, director of the section for ALS and related disorders at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.

"I think that it suggests a connection between trauma and motor neuron degeneration," he says.

Perhaps ALS is not a single disease, he adds. "ALS, as we know it, may not be a single disease, but a syndrome," he says. "This research provides a piece in the puzzle of our understanding of what ALS is and is teaching us that it is more of a complex condition."
    Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology official site

I got into a debate with one of my copy editors for Shaolin Trips about this. I was discussing the late Venerable Shi Suxi, one of Shaolin's great monks, who suffered from a Parkinson's-like affliction. My copy editor insisted that it was Parkinson's, and I said it was a similar disease but not the same. I couldn't find the term "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" at the time, so I ultimately conceded that point.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart