Thread: How many times do fighters get KTFO'd in your practices?

Hybrid View

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

How many times do fighters get KTFO'd in your practices?

Serious question.

Happened to one of mine today. He was wearing boxing head gear, had his mouth guard in and his opponent had vinyl foam foot gear on.

hook kick to the head pretty much dropped him immediately. He was out for 2-3 seconds and way groggy for another 20-30 seconds. after another 1-2 minutes he was speaking clearly and walking fine...cleaning up his gear, etc.

he is experiencing short term memory loss...everything from about 10 minutes before getting ko'd. this is normal. he hasn't puked and his equilibrium seems ok...walked up steps fine and unlocked his own door etc. his girl is with him and will call 911 and then me if anything changes.

We generally only go 'full contact' once a month, the rest of the practices are intended to be moderate contact. today was a hard day but the kick wasn't that hard...just right on the money.

Back to the question, though. What is usual or normal expectation? Do you get ko's in practice regularly? ever?

thanks
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    Serious question.

Happened to one of mine today. He was wearing boxing head gear, had his mouth guard in and his opponent had vinyl foam foot gear on.

hook kick to the head pretty much dropped him immediately. He was out for 2-3 seconds and way groggy for another 20-30 seconds. after another 1-2 minutes he was speaking clearly and walking fine...cleaning up his gear, etc.

he is experiencing short term memory loss...everything from about 10 minutes before getting ko'd. this is normal. he hasn't puked and his equilibrium seems ok...walked up steps fine and unlocked his own door etc. his girl is with him and will call 911 and then me if anything changes.

We generally only go 'full contact' once a month, the rest of the practices are intended to be moderate contact. today was a hard day but the kick wasn't that hard...just right on the money.

Back to the question, though. What is usual or normal expectation? Do you get ko's in practice regularly? ever?

thanks
    yah it sucks. Normally its a round kick I didn't see. Keep your hands up and expect the kick even if someone doesn't throw it.
    (well thats what I keep telling myself)

I've had 2 occur in my classes in the last 3 years. Neither was 'lights out,' but they were concussions.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

this was lights out. I've got tape but haven't reviewed with my student yet to see if he is ok with it being broadcast. It's the guy I'm sparring in this clip and the two others with similar titles on my youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u3fIseqNWo

I reveiwed the tape today and it was a big spinning wheel kick; my guy got caught flat...hands weren't down down but they didn't come up from chest level at all. the same guy (a tkd guy that's come in twice now) caught me a month or so ago and came close to knocking me down...he's got solid kicks.

he's ok, I talked to him a bit ago. no headache at all today. still doesn't quite remember it all but does remember the leg coming up.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Body bruises clear up. Brain bruises are forever. No reason IMO to go past light contact to the head for regular sparring. Gotta' protect the noodle! Too many take that **** for granted. I have had several concussions mostly from hockey, but some from MA training. Not fun. Not cool. Not worth anything I was doing.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

I agree to an extent. That's why I'm looking for some sort of consensus on how often it happens elsewhere. This is the first in about 13 months of san da training.

Like I said, he had on as much protective gear as possible.

You have to go beyond light contact to all targets at least some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Body bruises clear up. Brain bruises are forever. No reason IMO to go past light contact to the head for regular sparring. Gotta' protect the noodle! Too many take that **** for granted. I have had several concussions mostly from hockey, but some from MA training. Not fun. Not cool. Not worth anything I was doing.
    Jake
    you have to go beyond light sometimes. that is just realistic training. in grappling, I am sure you have seen guys suffer concussions from hard throws. it sucks, but such is life.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yea, that's pretty universal and in effect at my place

I generally describe contact levels like this:

light: head won't move hardly at all when hit
    medium: head definitely moves when hit
    hard: you might get rocked a bit

as stated above, we go 'hard' once a month or so.

We spar 6-8 times a month. In addition to the one hard day we'll go: Medium 3-4 times a month and light 3-4 times a month.