Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many times do fighters get KTFO'd in your practices?

It's never happened at my gym, and I've been there over 4 years now. We have had guys get wobbled, but never lights out. I've had the lights 'flicker' twice myself, but never been out. Both times the guys I was sparring instantly let up and asked if I was ok. When it happened the few other times with other guys, their sparring partners stopped too.

There really is no reason to get KO'd like that in training. It shows a lack of control people sparring should not have.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    that's the point of my question...how often does it happen...what is 'usual' and what is too much.

there is an issue of lack of control on the kicker. Like I said, he landed one on me a month or so ago that made me 'flicker'. I talked to him about where we were with contact and that we were trying to go hard, with resistance, with gear but it was also practice and not a match. this guy is not a student of mine but someone who is interested and I invited in. I sparred with him first before letting him spar with any of my students and felt he had reasonable control even with the kick...**** still happens.

so, for one, I'm trying to evaluate whether this guy can be trusted to not take anyone else out.

I'm not of the opinion that we are out of control or going too hard on too regular a basis.

if anyone likes, check out the youtube link above. that clip and two others on my page are of me and my guy that got ko'd saturday sparring at what I call a medium level of contact. my space is only 19' wide w/ 16 feet x 16 feet of sparring area w/ block walls to either side...we have to be carefull so no one get's slammed in to a wall and we don't generally carry through with blitzes that back others up to the wall and if someone get's rocked, we back off and or stop altogether.

LARP'ing is Live Action Role Playing.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

At our gym the rule is 'hit someone as hard as you want to get hit'. But if you are going too hard or even too soft, the instructor will tell you to tone it down or pick it up.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

yea, that's pretty universal and in effect at my place

I generally describe contact levels like this:

light: head won't move hardly at all when hit
    medium: head definitely moves when hit
    hard: you might get rocked a bit

as stated above, we go 'hard' once a month or so.

We spar 6-8 times a month. In addition to the one hard day we'll go: Medium 3-4 times a month and light 3-4 times a month.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    At our gym the rule is 'hit someone as hard as you want to get hit'. But if you are going too hard or even too soft, the instructor will tell you to tone it down or pick it up.

Hi.

Asking about your siggy link for a quick sec. I assume it is Abel in all black? I notice at 1:13 in the video the guy in shorts finds himself on all fours and unable to defend himself from 2 hard and unanswered head shots, why was the match stopped then restarted? All Abel had to do was deliver the next and third punch he was already set up to throw since he had his opposite hand on the guys face and most likely win. Is there a thread for this match? Sorry for the thread hijacking but I just gotta know.
    Last edited by HOKPAIWES; 01-21-2008 at 12:38 PM.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

We have went over Rudy's 'performance' before. Search for threads about it. But 2 quick points:

1. Rudy chose the ref.
    2. Rudy was not attacking when it was stopped/restarted. And Rudy's own corner was holding Anthony from falling out of the ring and they were calling for a break.

Also, Anthony posted a pic taken the next day of his face. There was not a mark on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    We have went over Rudy's 'performance' before. Search for threads about it. But 2 quick points:

1. Rudy chose the ref.
    2. Rudy was not attacking when it was stopped/restarted. And Rudy's own corner was holding Anthony from falling out of the ring and they were calling for a break.

Also, Anthony posted a pic taken the next day of his face. There was not a mark on it.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply and explaination. I am searching.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

KO's happen in contact sports, more so when fists and feet are flying wound people's heads.
    If you are training with hard contact, someone will get Ko'd eventually.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ross
    Conditioning meaning what? In terms of him getting tired and dropping hands? Certainly agree. In terms of him being able to "take a hit" (ie toughness)? Could not disagree more. Clarification please?

I don't know guys. I am not a pro-fighter nor will I ever be one. No desire to. Outside of going pro, there is no need IMO to do anything past medium contact. Everyone has their opinions, everyone has their ego. But in the end **** ain't funny when memory starts to go, blurred vision starts creeping in, and headaches come on in the drop of a hat.
    Now maybe I am a puss, but I have had several low to mid grade concussions, mostly from hockey and Lacrosse, but a few (easpecially the last few) from training. Started to get scary when headaches would not go away!
    In the end one has to ask, "Why?" Why am I getting concussions? From my training. "We go hard / Gotta' hold my mud / gotta nut up" etc. are all things I hear often with the martial arts. But in the end one has to weigh out the +'s with the -'s! Is being a "man" worth lossing memory? Blurred vision permanantly? Headaches at the slightest touch of the head or from bright light? To me the answer is an emphatic NO! I do not train to be a pro (even they are not abusive to their bodies like that), and even if I did the risk is not worth it to me.
    I really value my brain, and of course when we are all young we have the "young, dumb, full of cum" attitude and could care less. But over time your values switch. My worst nightmare is getting injured (lets just say with a massive concussion/brain injury) doing what I love, the result being I can no longer do what I love for risk of potential injury! I would rather avoid the situation and go lighter. Than to say **** it, go hard, get hurt, and then look back saying "I shoulda......"

Jake

PS God I am starting to sound old
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Not getting tired and thus not dropping your hands aside (which of course is good), it is well known that the better condition you are the less likely you are to get knocked out/injured
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

After doing JJJ, Shoalin Kempo Karate, TKD, karate and now what may be considered LARPing I've seen choke outs, dislocations and broken ribs but can't remember someone knocked out during sparring.
    Years back, and I think I talked about it here, I visited a WTF TKD dojang and they were head hunters so what the TKD guy is did doesn't surprise me. Is the TKD trying to prove himself?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I don't know. I would say not at this point. He seems like a nice guy. But, the bottom line is to have a safe program. If he can't control his kicks next time, and he'll only spar me then (an hopefully not knock me out ), then I'll be asking him not to come back.

But, that sounds kinda p*ssy. And, no Jake, I'm not being all macho. I've been trying for months to get others to come in and spar with us so we get some change up and besides my Kempo friend and his students, this guy has been the only one. I don't want to sound like 'you're kicking our asses so we don't want you around. He's a challenge and that's what I want for my students but, again, safely. I don't have a 100% read on him yet so I'm not sure what's going on, if anything, besides not being able to shorten the power up on his kicks at point of contact.

Thinking about it, can a person even pull a spinning wheel kick and still have it be a wheel kick? Maybe ask him to restrict his techniques to things that can be controlled.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Oso- I admire you for going outside your group and challenging yourself and your students. Nice to see people seriously concerned with safety first!
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Thinking about it, can a person even pull a spinning wheel kick and still have it be a wheel kick? Maybe ask him to restrict his techniques to things that can be controlled.
    spinning wheel kick is my desctription: big cirlular heel kick w/ no chamber

but, yea, hard to control. most light contact tournaments would probably rule it an unsafe technique because of that and you mostly aren't looking when you land it. but, we're not playing light contact.

however, he will either need to control it or not throw it.

Jake, you know my belief: if you can't make your stuff effective against everyone then what's the point? My Kempo buddy and his stuents have been totally safe to work with, as have the few JJ guys that I used to train with.

Rogue, while you're looking: who's Peter Freer? I think that's his last name. Sanjuro, you might know of him as well, I think he's canadian but not sure.