Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many times do fighters get KTFO'd in your practices?

I came across a few, what's he do or done?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    so did I. martial artist, old school karate, maybe a PKA fighter from the 80's. Watched a class of his last night at the suggestion of my JJ teacher but didn't find too much online about him. I might have his last name slightly off.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Sorry Oso, the name is still not ringing a bell.

Just a dumb question, but how hard do we need to go for what we each do?

Some of the hardest hitting guys I've worked with were karateka using limited targets, no gear, but a lot of injuries. Too many if you ask me.

The kickboxers I know avoid most injuries in training but still manage to go all out in the ring.

I've watched some of the r3al d3@dly guys work but they tend to use a lot of distance and don't make a lot of contact which doesn't seem to be very realistic.

Now in my LARPing days we still use a lot of contact and do some things you won't do in the average dojo, and we use control combined with targeting, some light gear and a lot of trust, but still we're now at the point where we're trying to figure out how to safely up our training.

So how does everyone else balance safety with training that edges closer to how you actually use your art?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

ok, no worries...just thought you might have heard of him.

Something did hit me today, we've been fine with what we've been doing w/o a single injury to anyone till now. (Officially 12 months of doing what we've been doing.) So, now I'm thinking, 'How do I screen walk ins better?'. When you guys see the clip, I think you'll agree that it wasn't really all that hard and not blistering fast. The guys not been a jerk and accepted the things I said to him afterwards with, well, humility. not that that's what I was aiming for. so, we'll see.

So, I think I've gauged what we're doing ok...were were moderately successful as a team at last years Great Lakes...so, I just need to figure out what to do about this guy to keep him coming for the needed competition but get him to play safer.

Took more clips tonight of two of my guys going medium'ish. will get them up this weekend too.

Hard Enough?

well...

hard enough to be able to compete in a venue of your choice and not lose all the time?

hard enough to not get beat up, mugged, killed or raped if/when that situation might happen?

the thing about the guan is that ultimately, no matter how hard you go, that 'opponent' does not have the intent to do you serious bodily harm.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    We have went over Rudy's 'performance' before. Search for threads about it. But 2 quick points:

1. Rudy chose the ref.
    2. Rudy was not attacking when it was stopped/restarted. And Rudy's own corner was holding Anthony from falling out of the ring and they were calling for a break.

Also, Anthony posted a pic taken the next day of his face. There was not a mark on it.
    Was it a tapout or a knee to the top of the head? I see a knee. May i have a link to the thread that dicusses this. Sorry for the highjack.

ggggrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    Hard Enough?

well...

hard enough to be able to compete in a venue of your choice and not lose all the time?

hard enough to not get beat up, mugged, killed or raped if/when that situation might happen?

the thing about the guan is that ultimately, no matter how hard you go, that 'opponent' does not have the intent to do you serious bodily harm.
    The old balancing act of hard enough to know you can survive being hit, hit hard enough to have confidence that you can rock the other guy but somehow still have everyone walk away to train another day.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Was it a tapout or a knee to the top of the head? I see a knee. May i have a link to the thread that dicusses this. Sorry for the highjack.
    Yes, he tapped from a knee to the head. Just like JFS, the first time he got hit solid, he quit.

Here is a good thread:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...highlight=rudy
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    The old balancing act of hard enough to know you can survive being hit, hit hard enough to have confidence that you can rock the other guy but somehow still have everyone walk away to train another day.
    Its tricky at times, usually with people new to hard contact training.
    See, in TRAINING you hit hard enough to get a "honest" reaction, you leave the whole "can I KO someone" issue to competition.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Please PM 1bad65 if you want to discuss the Rudy fight.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Please PM 1bad65 if you want to discuss the Rudy fight.
    see now, I was waiting for the growl to take affect....

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Yes, he tapped from a knee to the head. Just like JFS, the first time he got hit solid, he quit.

Here is a good thread:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...highlight=rudy
    Was it a fight or a sparring match? If it was just sparring ,a knee to the top of the head is excessive.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 01-23-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Sorry dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    ggggrrrrrrr
    back on topic.

I have not had it happen to any of my students in a while and I am sure in full contact w/ full force it happens more than it should . I have to agree that I do not want my brain to turn into a marshmellow. One year I gave two concussions and two knockouts to 3 different people.

yea, I don't think it should happen that often either...I think I've worked through that we've been ok and I just need to decided how to manage the walk-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Was it a fight or a sparring match? If it was just sparring ,a knee to the top of the head is excessive.
    It was a fight, with LESS RULES than the current MMA rules. And Rudy also set the rules.

Knees and kicks were allowed to downed opponents, for example.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams