Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How many times do fighters get KTFO'd in your practices?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post

yea, I don't think it should happen that often either...I think I've worked through that we've been ok and I just need to decided how to manage the walk-ins.

Do you let walk-ins spar?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yes, but they aren't 'walk-in' walk-in's. as in, I don't have a sign on the door or anything. When I meet people outside of the school and discover they have a martial background I will sometimes invite them to visit.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I let walk-ins spar as long as they sign a waiver. Everyone spars me on their first night, though, so I can gauge them. I've never had any issues.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yea, of course a waiver is signed and he did spar me first.

he's got good kicks, moderate hands but no throwing ability...or ability to not be thrown.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

ok. That clears it up. Same as at my gym.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

yea, of course a waiver is signed and he did spar me first.

he's got good kicks, moderate hands but no throwing ability...or ability to not be thrown.
    Everyone has the ability to be thrown, some just lack the ability to stick the landing.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

yea, i guess that is true....except for me of course.

It's not the throw that gets ya, it's the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I let walk-ins spar as long as they sign a waiver. Everyone spars me on their first night, though, so I can gauge them. I've never had any issues.
    That's great. You wouldn't believe the number of places I've been to where no one has even sparred the instructor.

As for seeing someone ktfo in practice... I've only experienced it twice. Once was myself (lulz), and the other was a sparring partner of mine.
    Jack Dempsey: "What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?

It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.

Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile when its bodyweight is set into fast motion."

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    It's not the throw that gets ya, it's the landing.
    You have to know how to land!

Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx View Post
    That's great. You wouldn't believe the number of places I've been to where no one has even sparred the instructor.

As for seeing someone ktfo in practice... I've only experienced it twice. Once was myself (lulz), and the other was a sparring partner of mine.
    Tou went to the wrong schools, I will spar any of my students.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Tou went to the wrong schools, I will spar any of my students.
    but, there are a large majority where it doesn't happen.

but, there are a large majority where it doesn't happen.
    This may be my naivete showing, but how? Even when I was but a wee chap doing ATA, we "sparred." I've never worked out with a group that didn't have sparring at some level.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

i think we were saying that there are a lot of schools where the instructor doesn't spar with his students...not that there are a lot of schools that don't spar.

but, fwiw, I have never heard of any of the other supposed TCMA schools in my town that spar regularly, much less at all. I think most of the rest of the MA schools here spar in some fashion or the other.

There are a lot of schools, especially CMA ones that do not spar bro! Consider yourself lucky for finding one that does!
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com