Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How many times do fighters get KTFO'd in your practices?

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Body bruises clear up. Brain bruises are forever. No reason IMO to go past light contact to the head for regular sparring. Gotta' protect the noodle! Too many take that **** for granted. I have had several concussions mostly from hockey, but some from MA training. Not fun. Not cool. Not worth anything I was doing.
    Jake
    you have to go beyond light sometimes. that is just realistic training. in grappling, I am sure you have seen guys suffer concussions from hard throws. it sucks, but such is life.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

ok, clips are up at youtube

first half of round 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am5QhHH-LZw

second half of round 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lpUV_nl3U

round 2, till the ko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chjjXnbDptI

I've got more clips from earlier in that day...two of my students against each other and the tkd guy with my other student...will get them up throughout the week.

constructive comments are more than welcome.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Well, I'm no expert, but it looks like it could go either way to me.

TKD Guy.... If you have to "hop" up before throwing the kick then it probably shouldn't be thrown in that match. I didn't notice anywhere else in the match that he gunned up for any other kick. That tells me he's aware that he has to go a little ****her past the point he had been in order to get the kick off.

Your Guy..... Kept his guard up much better than the TKD guy. Props to him. He should be more aware of retreating whenever he sees a spin begin to happen, and I bet he is now.....

I think your TKD guy needs to be a bit more understanding when bringing a kick into the mix like that. Just the speed of it brings enough force to go beyond the level that I think this match was set at.

Just my $0.02

Oh and Oso.......when I come and spar you and you beat my a$$....please don't post it on youtube!!!!! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    you have to go beyond light sometimes. that is just realistic training. in grappling, I am sure you have seen guys suffer concussions from hard throws. it sucks, but such is life.
    You can go 100% in grappling. But getting hit or thrown hard enough to get a concussion says to me there is a lack of control.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

The guy in gray has bad footwork. Thats a big reason the guy in yellow had the better, more powerful strikes. Notice when the guy in yellow got on his toes, he looked alot better.

The guy in gray needs to work off his jab more. He leads with big shots with his lead hand, rather than setting up for a good power shot with a good jab.

He does keep his hands up though, thats good. He also never turned his back like the guy in yellow did.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

naja: i only post stuff when it's ok with the people in the clips, so don't worry.

1bad65: yea, his footwork isn't great. He is currently 210 but 12 months ago he was 260. I think he's still adjusting to the change. He's constantly on his heels but is getting better about it.

thanks.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

The tubby chick-haired dood was flatfooted and seemed intent on nailing the other guy. The other guy seemed to be going a lot lighter, and playing around. I don't think he was throwing his kicks particularly fast and it looked like he'd half put a few out there to allow the girl-guy to play around with what might happen.

I've been what would definitely call TKO'ed in sparring a few times: kick to the solar plexus rendered me incapable of moving (or anything really, other than gasping)... broken nose had me on what would have been a standing count once, and another solid rock to the face the same (except according to onlookers I was still punching after - which I was happy to hear). Never been full-on KOed except when my sister brained me with a log (I was punching out then too apparently!). Think I have a hard head... probably down to being taught catching cricket balls the Ozzie test way when I was a kid (hands in front of the forehead ) and being useless at catching!!!

Other people have in the gyms I've been to. Not all that often. We did full contact sparring every session (two/three times a week) though we could go lighter if we wanted, and I think I saw maybe two or three KOs/near KOs in two years.

EDIT: ah ****, just realised my description of the guy in grey could've been more polite... sorry... wasn't really intentional - just the way I saw it off the top of my head.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

My guy, the chubby one, is 210, the other guy 180. We've already discussed that he (my guy) had nailed the other guy several times in the head and so, fair is fair to a point.

He is very flat footed genetically and has to work hard to stay on the balls of his feet.

ftr, he's got short dreads.

The guy in the gray turned it into a "fight" and the guy in yellow took him out wiht his first commited attack of the round.
    Nothing wrong there.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

yea, that was what my student and I talked about after reviewing it.

That looks like a spinning crescent kick instead of a wheel kick.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

not how i define it...crescent strikes with inside or outside of the ankle/foot...he hit with the heel, so, for me, that's a wheel/hook type kick

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    You can go 100% in grappling. But getting hit or thrown hard enough to get a concussion says to me there is a lack of control.
    I throw a roundhouse. You zig when you should have zagged. you end up on the floor. It happens.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Ending up on the floor and getting a concussion are two different things.

Where'd the vids go?
    A unique snowflake