Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

Talking MA & Religion?

Check the image below to find the answer.

AHAHAHA...
    So true, especially when you spar for the first time.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

the worst one is when you've been sparring for about ten minutes already, and along comes some behemoth and you just think

"balls"
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    the worst one is when you've been sparring for about ten minutes already, and along comes some behemoth and you just think

"balls"
    NO, NO, NO.

The worst is when you have to spar multiple opponents and you look at the queue waiting next to the mat-area and realise that the last one is YOUR Sifu and he is grinning with delight.

Question Religion and Martial Arts

What do you think about mixing these together?

Do you think it's OK to make students practice or least observe Buddhism in order to study at a particular school?

Want to hear your comments.........
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Smile Spiritual outlook

Hi ED,

Having a spiritual outlook is definitely a plus in martial arts. Martial sports really don't need to have a spiritual outlook although a martial sports person such as Ali has a powerful spiritual outlook that some would even think of him as a latter day prophet. Once upon a time in America, Ali has a beautiful mind. It is sad that he could not carry on his God's work today.

Personally, I believe that spiritual outlook is the difference between a technician and a master of an art. BTW, there are 2 approaches to apply spirtiual outlook in MA. One route is through philosophical discipline (reasoning) while the other is mystical discipline (meditation).

I tell stories about all religions although I use them main as parables. In a form such as 18 Luohan, I have at least 18 stories that I can tell just to help my students to graspe the imagaries. My favorite is the 5th road "Yasha (demon) probing the ocean". It could lead to many of the Chinese mythology which always draws their attention.

I am of the opinion that if they understand my spiritual outlook they will have the benefit of understanding how I function. In that case, we will communicate much better. I have not intention of making spiritual duplicates of myself. So I don't require my students to take upon any spiritual outlook.

A great topic there, my friend.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Religion is all about killing people who disagree with you.

MA is all about how to kill people.

It's a match made in Heaven! (pun intended)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

lol
    good one

In all seriousness, that is a personal thing. If someone wants to mix the two then they should be allowed to. If they only wish to practice the martial aspects without religious aspects, then they should be allowed to do so. No one should be forced to practice any of the religious aspects of the CMA.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

i agree...I don't think anyone should be forced to anything...but if you don't understand the spiritual roots of your art/s, just don't think you're really studying it

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    i agree...I don't think anyone should be forced to anything...but if you don't understand the spiritual roots of your art/s, just don't think you're really studying it
    True, however understanding the spiritual roots and practicing them are two different things.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Re: Religion and Martial Arts

Originally posted by EarthDragon
    Do you think it's OK to make students practice or least observe Buddhism in order to study at a particular school?
    Since your school is a voluntary, private group, it seems within your rights to restrict membership by any arbitrary standard you please.

That said, I would personally be extremely uncomfortable with a martial arts instructor who forced religous beliefs on their students, even if I happened to agree with them; and recommend ardently against it.

I think as long as you understand those roots..it's all good and irrelevant if you subscribe or not......

Re: Religion and Martial Arts

Originally posted by EarthDragon

Hell no its not right! what kind of stupid cr@p is that?

No one made me observe a religion to take math or science, why should it be required from a ma school? Utter B/S.

Oh, as far as understanding roots goes, those roots only go so deep. I fully agree with understanding the origin, but making folks practice is more than a bit too much.
    Last edited by BeiTangLang; 04-14-2004 at 03:35 AM.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Very good posts.

The argument is the other way around.

You study MA to defend yourself and not be harmed. You save life and serve justice.

If you practice Daoism (Wu Dang) and Shaolin Zen Buhhdism, you need to study MA so as to complete or help your spiritual learning.

Use Zen meditation to enter the world of Wushu. So that Zen and Quan are one and the same. (Zen Quan Her Yi)

As a matter of fact, you may practice or not practice religions.

But, all that Wushu learning will not help us, if we do not know how to be/make a "man" in the first place. That is why all schools of Wushu are tightly bundled with certain "disciplines" (life philosophy or religion).

Again, it is your choice for the enlightment for your own being (consciousness or Zen).