Page 23 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

That's the problem with stories and movies, some people can tell the difference between reality and fiction.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Most of writing fiction is dreaming up the unintended consequences of an action.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Most of writing fiction is dreaming up the unintended consequences of an action.
    yes, that would be premise.

it is absolutely necessary to begin every story concept with the idea of "what if"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kung fu or Karate?

I guess it's all the same to Baptists...
    Martial-arts seminar at Baptist school leads kung-fu master to Christ
    By Crystal Kieloch
    Wednesday, 11 March 2009

BLUEFIELD, Va. (ABP) -- Taiwanese kung-fu master Liu Chang probably didn't think a routine seminar he led at Virginia Baptist-affiliated Bluefield College would lead to him converting to Christianity. But that's just what happened.

Liu, a widely-respected karate expert, was one of two visiting instructors at a martial-arts seminar hosted by Doug Minnix, Bluefield’s assistant professor of exercise and sport science and faculty advisor for the school’s Karate Club. Liu was joined by Kimo Wall, an American karate expert who conducts seminars around the world.

“Master Liu is no typical kung-fu master,” Minnix said. “He is a 12th-generation direct descendant of the White Crane system.”

The White Crane system is a southern Chinese martial art widely practiced around the world. It is characterized by deep-rooted stances, intricate hand techniques and fighting mostly at close range. There are different levels of the White Crane system; the Feeding Crane level, at which Liu excels, is the most combative.

“[Liu’s] technique reminds me of the legendary methods that are only read about and no longer to be found,” said Minnix. “How such a remarkable individual ended up on tour with Kimo Wall and in the small town of Bluefield, I believe was orchestrated by God.”

Before making his own profession of Christian faith, Minnix, who was a student at Bluefield College in the late 1980s, practiced the principles of Zen Buddhism and traveled to China to research the particular style of karate to which he was devoted.

But, “In the midst of a culture dominated by Zen, I had a God moment,” Minnix recalled about his trip to China. “While walking down the streets, a young man witnessed to me about Jesus and handed me a gospel tract. This seed stayed in my heart and would remain, yet undeveloped, until I returned to Bluefield College.”
    Kung Fu master Liu Chang (center) offers a demonstration during a Bluefield College martial arts seminar. (PHOTO/Bluefield College)

Scott Bryan, who chairs Bluefield’s exercise and sports science department, mentored Minnix during his days as a student at Bluefield and shared more about Christianity with him. During his senior year, Minnix answered the call of Christ and subsequently gave up his study of martial arts.

“But, in my devotional time, I kept running across Scriptures that seemed to run harmoniously with karate principles,” Minnix said. “It was during that time that God gave me a vision for a martial-arts ministry.”

That same karate ministry, which involves Scripture memorization and Bible study, is what brought Liu and Wall to Bluefield last summer. Wall, a former Zen Buddhist who also converted to Christianity and who is a longtime sensei (a Japanese title used to address teachers in martial arts) to Minnix, brought Liu to Bluefield to present the Feeding Crane system to karate students from the college and community.

But, the karate students were not the only individuals to leave the martial-arts seminar changed by the experience. During an after-hours dinner, Liu shared the details of a series of events that led him to find both lost relatives and martial-arts techniques. The circumstances, he believes, were magic, because they were too well orchestrated to be coincidence. Wall boldly responded, “Not magic, but a miracle, the power of God.”

Later during the seminar, Liu received word from Taiwan that his home had been damaged by a typhoon. Concerned about his family, Liu found encouragement from people within the college and local church community. They offered Liu support and prayer. Sensing God’s direction in the entire experience, Minnix gave Liu a Chinese/English Bible.

“Following some encouragement by Kimo sensei, I finally presented Mr. Liu with the gospel,” Minnix said. “He opened the book, and with tears in his eyes and a humble disposition, said, ‘All my life I hear about this book, but today [is] the first day I see it.’”

Minnix shared later that he, along with Wall, were amazed at how a man of such stature, position and power could be so quickly touched by God.

Minnix recalled, “He said to me, ‘Now you first time from now on study Feeding Crane; now I first time from now on study the book.’ I can’t explain how I felt that night. God truly intervened and crossed cultural lines to connect us in a very special way.”

Liu would end his trip to Bluefield with a visit to Minnix’s church, and said afterward, “This is [the] first time I go to church. I feel very special power [that I have] not felt before.”

Liu communicated later with Minnix and others his desire to learn more about Jesus. He also said his Bluefield experience is one he plans to share with students all over the world.

“I will never forget Bluefield,” Liu said. “Bluefield is [the] place where I first talk to God. I go home and tell people here, and they cannot believe. ‘You talk to God?’ Amazed.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    I don't doubt the Jews had some form of martial art back then, all nations did (Check out the numerous joint locks, kicks, and punches in manuals from the German school of swordfighting for example). But the general consensus seems to be that the guy took his training in kuk sool won and repackaged it as the Abir style.

Stav is still the king of the "ethnic a$$pull" martial arts.....

"Consult the Runes for much buttkicking!!!"
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

kung fu, aikido, what's the difference?

Details, details... Morgan is probably a rabbi.
    Crawley priest worships kung-fu
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 14:00

HIGH-flying kicks, punches and blocks are being taught in self defence classes - by a CHURCH MINISTER.

Priest Dave Morgan has set up his very own martial arts class in his church, and it is proving a hit with martial arts fans young and old.

Pastor Morgan, who turns 60 this year, teaches the aikido lessons twice a week at the New Hope Church in Bewbush.

The lessons of Hoya Hoya Mikomi are taught by the reverend, who says self defence is not the only thing the class provides.

He said: "It gives people confidence.

"People are often shocked when they hear that I am teaching the class and I am a minister. It is a nice shock from people though."

The pastor used to be in the Ministry of Defence, which is where he learnt the skill.

Now, the art is helping him fulfil his role as a church minister.

He said: "Originally the class was opened to get children off the streets after the sports centre in Bewbush shut, but now we have found that more single mums are coming along."

The class has been running for around six weeks, and is gaining more and more members.

Reverend Morgan, who lives in Ifield said: "We did a presentation at Crawley Library for an open day event, and just from that we literally doubled our class.

"At the moment we have 12 people that come every week, but that number is growing all the time.

"I think the fact I am just an ordinary guy is what encourages people to come along, in the church I dress in everyday clothes. I am just seen as a normal approachable guy, which helps.

"The thing is now I have many titles, I can be called reverend, pastor or sense. I really enjoy it though.

"I set up the church to give hope to people who have none, to be a voice and be a presence for anyone that's hurting.

"Hopefully with the aikido that will encourage people to come along as well."

If anyone wants more information they can contact Dave on 01293 540608 or 07931 903801.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

chinese christian or bible study groups here near where I live

they have tai chi class for senior, kungfu classes for young

heck, they have swimming, ping pong, chess classes, too

they even have driving classes

so it is kind of social services for the church attending people.

these may not be related to any religious beliefs or religious practices at all.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Why don't they just create a fighting sytle based on Christian principles?
    i'm glad i caught this... several years ago i was musing over this same idea. some tend to believe that the texts of the bible contain more in their words than is led on to the people - a way of passing on esoteric knowledge. in the same manner that in some systems, forms are passed along orally or written down as a story or poetry of sorts... each phrase corresponding to a set of movements and so forth... in the bible i discovered some phrases that fit this bill...

ephesians 6:10-20 the armour of god... could this also be a series of yoga or qigong like exercises for developing a so called armour of god? here's the 6 actions from the texts:

girding the waist with truth

putting on the breastplate of righteousness

shodding the feet with the gospel of peace

taking the shield of faith

putting on the helmet of salvation

the sword of the spirit

is this christian combat iron shirt exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post

is this christian combat iron shirt exercises?
    in a word? no.

christian principles are to not fight
    so "christian fighting principles" are a contradiction in terms.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

"Is it a sin to fight?" Nacho libre.

"No". sister.

--

"if you fight for something noble

"if you fight for somebody that needs help

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    chinese christian or bible study groups here near where I live

they have tai chi class for senior, kungfu classes for young

heck, they have swimming, ping pong, chess classes, too

they even have driving classes

so it is kind of social services for the church attending people.

these may not be related to any religious beliefs or religious practices at all.

--

my point is that kung fu or any MA practice needs not be part of your religious practice.

your religious practice needs not to exclude the MA practice.

Nacho libre is a religious man that likes to wrestle since young boy.

Not all shao lin monks practice kung fu.

the ones that practice kung fu are called wu zheng or warrior monks.

---

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    my point is that kung fu or any MA practice needs not be part of your religious practice.

your religious practice needs not to exclude the MA practice.

Nacho libre is a religious man that likes to wrestle since young boy.

Not all shao lin monks practice kung fu.

the ones that practice kung fu are called wu zheng or warrior monks.

---

In Shaolin, it's all ch'an.
    fighting is irrelevant.

"christian fighting principles" is a weird statement.

Jesus was not an advocate of making war on any level.
    He reportedly said one or two things that have been interpreted to contradict this.

- "If you do not own a sword you should sell your shirt and buy one." (comes to mind.)

But mostly, "render unto caeser what is caesar's and render unto god what is god's" and "turn the other cheek" which is more of an act of defiance through non-violence which he did advocate. with teh former being a statement of "comply" with earthly demands as opposed to resisting them.

But then...he did reportedly act violently in the temple with his destruction of the property of the moneychangers and kcking them about.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 06-11-2009 at 07:29 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yes, there are 6 stages. six paths

the first 3 stages

1. do good deeds to help others,

2. follow "laws" including not drinking not eating meat--

3. yielding to or forgiving others.

if we do the three, we may be reincarnated into human domain again in the next life.

4. study to improve our understanding of the world and life

5. Chan Ding to meditate

6. reach wisdom/enlightment

we do the last 3 stages.

we enter buddhahood, we leave the cycle of reincarnation.

---

yes. everything is chan