Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1191

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

Is the spirit of Caligula recruiting Karateka now?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Caligula? srsly on our religious thread?

I almost put this on our Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts thread because this thread is fat enough, but I didn't obviously...

Brothers promote faith and martial arts
    Roger Lee rlee@journalscene.com @LeeDodger

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Grandmaster Dr. Rodney E. Graham earned seven medals at the U.S. AAU National Karate Championship Tournament this summer. PHOTOS PROVIDED
    Photos

Mixing faith with martial arts has proven to be a good formula for the Graham brothers.

Grandmaster Rodney E. Graham, who is the minister of music at Tall Pines Baptist Church, has made it a mission to demonstrate one can be both a serious Christian and a serious competitor.

“Incorporating faith into martial arts allows me to use martial arts as a witnessing tool to bring people to Jesus Christ,” Graham said. “It helps me reach people who haven’t been touched. I also want to change the way people view Christian martial arts organizations. Just because you are a Christian it doesn’t mean you can’t be a very competitive martial artist.”

That is a point he tries to make at every competition he attends. If his track record is any indication, his mission has been a success.

Graham has earned considerable awards and accolades in the martial arts world. This summer, he earned seven medals at the United States AAU National Karate Championship Tournament. He brought home two gold medals, four bronze and one participation medal after competing in Sparring, Forms, Short Weapons and Long Weapons. He also represented the North Carolina Home Team comprised of athletes from throughout the Carolinas in team events and helped set a new Guinness Book World Record.

Graham and more than 1,000 other karate practitioners succeeded in breaking a record for The Largest Group of Karate Practitioners to Perform a Karate Kata at the Same Time. The old record was set in India in 2013 when just more than 800 people performed at the same time.

“Competing at nationals has been a goal for me for a long time,” Graham said. “I really wanted to do well there to help give our organization credibility. Some people don’t take us seriously so hopefully I helped show them we are legitimate. Being part of setting a record was pretty cool. It was quite a process. We all had a wrist band we had to show to a camera before we stepped on the mat so that officials could review the tap and verify how many participated.”

Graham was inducted into USA Martial Arts Hall of Fame in 2009. At this year’s hall of fame induction ceremony scheduled for September, he will receive the Karate Competitor of the Year award. He is also due to test for his 10th Degree Wado-Ryu (Japanese) Karate Black Belt, which would earn him the title of “Soke,” the highest rank in all of Japanese Martial Arts.

His accomplishments include earning championship karate medals at the Coastal Carolina Championships, the NC/SC State Championships and the 5-State Regional Championships (AL, GA, NC, SC, TN).

He is employed as an instructor with PRO Martial Arts-Wescott, where he serves as the Armor Anti-Bullying and Anti-Predator Instructor, teaching students how to avoid and deal with uncomfortable and/or hazardous situations. He said he was bullied as a child so the cause is one he embraces wholeheartedly.

“I realize what some kids go through,” he said. “I’m very happy to try to help them tackle those challenges. I try to help kids who are in a shell open up and share their concerns and promote awareness. I give them and their parents safety tips.”

He has a Master’s Degree in Education and two Doctoral Degrees in the field of Martial Arts Studies and holds an Executive Certificate in Principles of Business from Notre Dame.

He is also an accomplished drummer. He has been a compensated percussionist in almost 50 Broadway-type musicals in the various theaters in Charleston and performed in the Piccolo Spoleto Festival four different years.

He is coached and trained by his older brother, Grandmaster Dr. Robert G. Graham, who is also a ninth degree black belt and member of the USA Martial Arts Hall of Fame. Robert owns and operates the World Martial Arts and Fitness Center located in the Summerville area and is a manager with Republic Services. He is also very involved at Summerbrook Church.

USA Martial Arts presented Robert with the “Lifetime Golden Achievement” award for his contributions to the martial arts. Like his brother, Robert holds a PhD in Martial Arts Philosophy and a DSc in Martial Arts Science. The degrees were awarded through the University of Asian Martial Arts Studies, a US Government-accredited institution in Centerville, Ind.

The brothers, who are both Summerville High School graduates, founded the Christian Martial Arts Association, a fellowship of Christian believers who share an interest in the martial arts. Robert serves as president and Rodney serves as vice president.

After experiencing his own success in martial arts competitions, Robert gave up competing due to medical concerns. Later this year, he will be accept the Non-Profit Organization of the Year award on behalf of the Christian Martial Arts Association.

The brothers are the sons of the late Thomas G. and Della I. Graham.
    Caligula...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I almost put this on our Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts thread because this thread is fat enough, but I didn't obviously...

Caligula...
    Hey come on, it's not that big of a stretch.
    For instance:
    Caligula was a god according to the religion of Rome at the time. And, in a rage, he attacked the Mediterranean and had his soldiers stab at the water in a war with Neptune. Which is highly likely to be one more myth about Rome's emperors, but when you posted the karatekas punching towards the sea, it was the myth that surfaced in my mind first.

Can't a guy be pretentious and over educated around here anymore?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    What do you think about mixing these together?

Do you think it's OK to make students practice or least observe Buddhism in order to study at a particular school?

Want to hear your comments.........

I have no problem with that. Practise or observer Buddhism as part of the training should be well awared by new student. No imposing. Forcing people to learn this and that does not work well.

Back to the topic of this thread, some martial arts are religion or philisophical based. So is it your cup of tea ? The choice is yours.

Regards.

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    I have no problem with that. Practise or observer Buddhism as part of the training should be well awared by new student. No imposing. Forcing people to learn this and that does not work well.

Back to the topic of this thread, some martial arts are religion or philisophical based. So is it your cup of tea ? The choice is yours.

Regards.

KC
    Hong Kong
    There are philosophical aspects of buddhism that fit with defending oneself or others. But that would be the end of it. Religious Buddhism is something that is not necessary to study of martial arts.
    I would think Confucianism would be more ingrained to TCMA study. Filial systems, reasons to use force etc.

Also, ~G, that Rodney dude is dodgy as it gets. lol "DR" of what?
    https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dr-rodn...ree/50/7a9/64a
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 08-04-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Christian Fu

Sop****re Matthew Wilcox, Dr. Kevin Youngblood and sop****re Graeme Gastineau practice Kung fu for Impact 360 at Complete in Christ Church. Impact 360 is a Kung fu class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Photo By Brittney Garringer

Bible teachers and Kung fu
    Thu, 10/08/2015 - 6:05pm -- Sara Denney

Bible department professors Dr. Scott Crenshaw and Dr. Kevin Youngblood teach classes during the day and instruct Kung fu on Tuesday and Thursday evenings through Impact 360 in Searcy.

Youngblood said he strives to combine Biblical principles with Kung fu in his classes.

“It’s the greatest combo in the world,” sop****re Graeme Gastineau, attendee of Youngblood’s Kung fu class, said about the combination of Kung fu and the Bible.

Youngblood said he hopes to teach students to defend the weak and to take a hit without retaliation.

“I know how to respond to an attack in a way that is appropriate from a Christian perspective,” Youngblood said.

Youngblood said his martial arts training began at nine years old when he started Judo. He switched to Kung fu at age 10.

Not only has Youngblood been learning and practicing Kung fu from a young age, but he has also taught it since he was 15 years old, he said.

When Crenshaw approached Youngblood about teaching a Kung fu class at Impact 360, it provided an excellent way to contribute to the community, according to Youngblood.

“I like what it does for students,” Youngblood said. “I like the discipline that it instills in students and the self-control that it gives to them.”

Youngblood recruited Gastineau to be a part of the class at a Bible majors’ cookout at the end of the 2014 spring semester, Gastineau said.

According to Gastineau, he was twirling a stick and Youngblood approached him and said “you’re doing it wrong.” Youngblood proceeded to show Gastineau how to properly use the large stick as a weapon, all while holding his baby son in the other arm.

Gastineau is not the first in his family to learn the art of Kung fu. Gastineau’s father learned Kung fu from Youngblood while they attended school together at Lipscomb University. Gastineau said “he is living through that legacy.”

Gastineau soon became involved in Kung fu, and said he benefits from it in more ways than just the exercise.

“As Christians we discipline ourselves in different Christian practices so that in times of crisis, those practices will become second nature,” Gastineau said.“Likewise we learn Kung fu to discipline others, to fight just enough to protect yourself and protect others.”

Youngblood teaches a beginner-level Kung fu class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. More information can be found at impact360online.com.
    'to take a hit without retaliation' I suppose that's the iron body way. We all know how that goes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    'to take a hit without retaliation' I suppose that's the iron body way. We all know how that goes.
    Name:  bag_5111.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  30.0 KB

Back off Romans!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Christian Swordsmen

Fellowship of Christian Swordsmen teaches sword fighting, love of Christ
    Published on Monday, 21 March 2016 17:00 - Written by Augusta Robinson, augustarobinson@tylerpaper.com

Olivia Oney, 12, of Tyler, and Georgi Dumas, 15, of Henderson, practice staging a theatrical fight during a sword fighting class Thursday March 17, 2016 with the Fellowship of Christian Swordsmen at Pollard Park in Tyler. (Sarah A. Miller/Tyler Morning Telegraph)

As he wields his rebated steel sword against a fellow class member’s sword, Dawson Bodenhamer’s endurance and training are put to the test in a theatrical sword fighting class held by the Fellowship of Christian Swordsman.

Beginners in the class use shinais, bamboo practice swords, but Bodenhamer and others who are experience sword fighters can perform many tricks on command - such as flipping their swords around and catching them with one hand.

Bodenhamer said he joined the class about five years ago, after he was in a play that involved swordfighting. Since then, he has learned many things and enjoyed the experience.

“I wanted to learn to do all those moves,” Bodenhamer said. “There really is no limit to the amount of moves you can learn.”

While he added that getting to practice with fellow Christians has made the experience even better.

“It’s kind of fun and you get a community like this, good Christian friends,” he said.

Chris and Alison Chadwick founded the Fellowship of Christian Swordsman about 13 years ago, after each gaining years of jousting and sword fighting experience. Mr. Chadwick said that after years of working and hanging out in bad environments, he stopped sword fighting after he received salvation from the Lord.

However, after being asked to do a sword fighting demonstration at church, others began to request his services and he and his wife began offering the classes.

Mr. and Mrs. Chadwick said that since they started they have taught over a thousand kids, some who now teach others about sword fighting.

Mr. Chandwick said the class has many benefits.

“It’s just a physical, fun activity and we keep it safe,” Mr. Chadwick said. “It builds confidence and usually iron sharpens iron, it says in the Bible.”

The class takes place at Pollard Park and each of the moves are designed to look realistic without causing injury.

“Theatrical sword fighting is what you see in movies and plays and so forth,” Mr. Chadwick said. “Basically it’s for film and stage where you theatrically fight without killing each other, just like in ‘Lord of the Rings.’”

Each student in the class starts out using a shinai until they gain about 60 weeks of experience, Mr. Chandwick said. He also said classes include a prayer and devotional. He encourages those who would like to learn more information to go to the group’s Facebook page.

While Mr. Chadwick said sword fighting could be physically rewarding, he hopes that those who leave the class also feel spiritually uplifted.

“I love oozing Christ on people,” Mr. Chadwick said. “To me it’s just an opportunity to come together and love each other.”

Twitter:@TMT_Augusta
    Sort of like a Jedi Academy for Jesus?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

random rumination

Actually the previous post would have been more apropos to today.

Should Christians practice martial arts?
    Patrick Mabilog 04 May 2016

Pixabay

A long-standing debate that has existed for quite a while now is whether Christians can practice martial arts. The discussion has broken groups into a few factions and camps, of which these are some of the most popular:

Some argue that martial arts, at it's very core, are a practice of an occultic oriental ritual that focuses on spiritual release. Still others argue that Christians can practice martial arts as a purely physical exercise and a self-defense discipline without the chants and meditations. Others will say that the meditation and exercise are both practicable and that they no longer have an effect on one's spirit.

While the urge is there, I don't want to have to make this post about choosing which perspective is right, but rather present Biblical truths and leaving the deciding to you.

The best place to start is to have a proper understanding of how God created the soul. Our soul is made up of the mind, heart and will, the three being intertwined. What we believe in our head can often become a conviction of the heart which then will lead to the actions of the will.

Paul teaches us in Romans 12:2, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." God is in the business of renewing minds and taking every captive thought so that we may focus on that which glorifies God.

But it is important to note that martial arts are a good exercise, and that God also values proper health and stewardship of the body. While there are other options for proper exercise, there are those who find some martial arts to be the best for them. And it can be dangerous to expose the mind and heart to the philosophies that govern the spiritual aspect of martial arts.

However, come to think of it, many of the things we use and do on a daily basis have some form of paeanistic background. Our weekly calendar is based on paeanistic practices, wedding rings were once a pagan practice, the cross was once a Roman form of punishment, and even some of our sacerdotal vestments are some that we share with other religions. So should we also let go of all of these things?

At the end of the day, Paul leaves us with the thought that most things are permissible, but not everything is constructive and beneficial (1 Corinthians 10:23). It all boils down to a personal conviction that you hold, and it depends on God's grace and mercy to give you the wisdom to discern such things.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I agree.
    As a Christian one must decide for ONESELF their path.
    See, Christianity is and always has been a expression of choice. It isn't a religion ( organized) per say because we truly follow ONE man and not really a set of rules and doctrines ( though there are many of those too).
    The gospel is quite simple: Believe in Christ and you will be saved.
    Everything else is an add on to the gospel.
    No, it isn't that simple since believing in another and what th4y have done for you when you didn't deserve it one of the hardest things for people to do.
    People PREFER rules and a "laundry list" of things to do.
    People have a hard time grasping the concept of trusting ( faith) what someone else has done for them.

In regards to MA, the OT is clear that God does indeed prepare us for battle, so the physical part of MA is not a problem and never has been.
    The mental part is only problem when training makes one violent and instills in one a desire, a want, to hurt others.

The spiritual is, of course, the easiest to address:
    As a Christian you have committed you mind, body and spirit/soul to Christ, so it is for HIM that our spirit yearns.

As a Christian it is impossible for me to be spiritual outside of Christ, it is impossible for me to meditate and not be with Christ.
    It simply does not work that way ( to meditate and be unchristian) for a person that has the HS in them.
    UNLESS they actively CHOOSE to do so.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The battle cry of the first crusade was: Deus vult!

Pacifism hasn't been a top priority of Christianity for 2000 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post

It never was.

Luke 22:35-38

35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post

Pacifism doesn't really play a part in any religion or ideology that subscribes to a moral code or the belief in a moral absolute.

In short, violence CAN be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It never was.
    That quote may not mean what you think it means.
    It is not an advocation or call to arms.
    That said, as I stated above, pacifism is not something that any religion that is guided by a moral code can subscribe to.

Yeah. But this is forever strangely out of sync with the Sermon of the Mount.