Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

why does anyone care if god exists or not ?

surely if people just focused on being better people instead of pontificating on who is right or wrong everything would turn out fine wouldnt it ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

surely if people just focused on being better people instead of pontificating on who is right or wrong everything would turn out fine wouldnt it ?
    Yup. Otherwise, we're just some dudes that show up to a fight based on internet squabbles and debate an ear grind ad infinitum to see who's the better man.....LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

pontificating on who is right or wrong about anything religious or otherwise has nothing to do whether or not god exists.

what is the guideline for being a better person in the society you live in but rule of law which sprang from religious tenet.

If you look back on our relatively short time line of existence, many of us are all too distracted by our own folly as opposed to actually thinking or acting on the state of being that we are in.

less than 5000 years is NOTHING. Man is so incredibly hubris filled in his wayward journey forward.

It is important. All is mind, and that's why it is important. Nothing of manifest material of man exists without mind first. To just amble forward in ignorance without asking the questions is even more folly in my opinion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    what is the guideline for being a better person in the society you live in but rule of law which sprang from religious tenet.

Not true. Religious guidelines aren't the source of "guidelines for being a better person". For centuries it was common for a thirty-five year old man to marry a fourteen year old girl, and be praised for it. Casanova chronicles, amongst his many women, liasons with twelve year old girls--liaisons that the parents of said children viewed with candor. Due to changes in government control and regulation, the changing family demographic, and the equality clauses of the democratic ideal, it is now unthinkable for such pairings to take place....thank god (I'm being ironic). Religion takes credit for what Democracy brings about. Being a better person means being a socially responsible person. Do you think it's coincidental that Christianity has tied itself to monarchies, and now Democracy? Get in the sheets with the people in power and take credit for social reform--thus saith the lord.

Well SW I really feel sorry for you you have nothing to believe in. So how do you suppose the universe came to be ??? Big bang I bet ha what a joke. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Well SW I really feel sorry for you you have nothing to believe in. So how do you suppose the universe came to be ??? Big bang I bet ha what a joke. KC
    I don't have to "believe in" a reformist Jew in some random period in time as being the "key to all existence, and the almighty arbiter in cosmic Fate, keeper of Heaven and Earth, and weilder of the flaming sword of vengeance!" in order to "believe in" the potential of the human race, the value of life and social order, kindness to strangers, love and happiness, and the bond between man and nature as the all-unifying bond to the cosmos. Big Bang? Eh....who cares.......

I am an organic being composed of a trillion organic beings. I am the will that is impossible to realize without red blood cells, white blood cells, neurons, platelets, hemoglobin, bacteria, organs, tissue--in all, I'm the sum of a trillion little parts, the unifying conscious faculty of organic will. But my will is only the governing power of a trillion individual wills, natural order, and chemical/organic processes on atomic/subatomic levels. Now, how can I possibly be so vain as to think that I'm a bonafide Kosmokrator?

Surely you don't think the original Shaolin monks were a bunch of misled, unhappy heathens with nothing to believe in?

maybe he just doesnt rush to put his faith in some sky daddy like you seem to

i personally believe in a greater presence, but only as a concept

not in any religious sense

something created me ? so i have to praise them?
    i didnt ask to be created my mother gave birth to me, i dont pray to her.

i think all religions based on a god(s) telling people what to do are systems of making people submit to someones will, nothing more.
    Last edited by golden arhat; 04-23-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I don't have to "believe in" a reformist Jew in some random period in time as being the "key to all existence, and the almighty arbiter in cosmic Fate, keeper of Heaven and Earth, and weilder of the flaming sword of vengeance!" in order to "believe in" the potential of the human race, the value of life and social order, kindness to strangers, love and happiness, and the bond between man and nature as the all-unifying bond to the cosmos. Big Bang? Eh....who cares.......

I am an organic being composed of a trillion organic beings. I am the will that is impossible to realize without red blood cells, white blood cells, neurons, platelets, hemoglobin, bacteria, organs, tissue--in all, I'm the sum of a trillion little parts, the unifying conscious faculty of organic will. But my will is only the governing power of a trillion individual wills, natural order, and chemical/organic processes on atomic/subatomic levels. Now, how can I possibly be so vain as to think that I'm a bonafide Kosmokrator?

Surely you don't think the original Shaolin monks were a bunch of misled, unhappy heathens with nothing to believe in?
    Dont get on the Heathens case now. Shaolin monks couldnt possibly been mean of the Heather, they were too far east

Heathenism is coming back you know. Long live ODIN!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

What I believe I have yet to post . The humanistic views preached by you guys are so shallow I cant help but laugh " a trillion wills" or was it three I forget. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Yes, well I'm not convinced that an eternity in flames is really that unpleasant if I don't have a central nervous system and nerve endings to relay messages of pain and torture up and down my spinal cord. But that's just me.

What I was describing for you was the commonality of life in its myriad forms, the equality of life not based on the pride of species, and the valuation of all life and all suffering, because we are all basically the same material as a worm, as a bacterium, as an elephant, as a chimpanzee. Valuing life is not the same as "believing in" Christ. They are, and always will be separate.

I would question the value you place on "humanism" because if a humanist thinks we all should treat each other well and as equals, and help out a brother in need, regardless of his religious orientation, I think that beats out the "convert and feed at the hand of Christ or suffer your hardships" mentality espoused by many religious organizations. When Mother Theresa traveled the world, she did so in a humanist capacity in service of a relgiious organization.

Good people are good people. No religion has a monopoly on meaning and service to humanity. There were good people before Christ, and I dare say people better than him long after.

What I believe I have yet to post . The humanistic views preached by you guys are so shallow I cant help but laugh " a trillion wills" or was it three I forget. KC
    It's okay, your laughter is a product of your brain's assessment of information and the emotional response it attaches to such assessments. These are dependent on the firing of your neurons, which also control the responses that cause your face to curl up into a smile, utilizing muscles, and stimulate the air to burst from your lungs in customary "laughing" fashion. There are many wills in your laughter.

This is why religion and MA go so well together, people in both thing they have the "real" religion/MA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

sw- yes true.

the original laws were of the godhead (god-gods).
    The priesthood ran almost everything in times of yore and if rule of law did not spring from religious tenet, then why the separation of church and state?

they were at one time mutual. the split in the big time line of things is actually quite recent.

almost every culture on the planet had a priesthood who held th e law of god(s) supreme over the rules they themselves had or behaviours they had. they would even revise laws they made if disaster came. Say a village was burned, well, many interpret that as gods wrath.

even today people do this. in America! really.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    Siddhartha Gautama a.k.a The Buddha

straight up.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.