Page 27 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    Early 20th century Occultist Alexandra David-Neel mentioned the very same thing in her book Magic and Mystery in Tibet. She also mentioned that consciousness can reside in any part of the body and not just the head. She stated if you focus your consciousness on your big toe, for example, you will feel a subtle warm feeling there. I've tried the exercise and it works everywhere you could think of, even the elbows.
    That is because when you focus your attention on a body part blood flows to the area and warms it. I have done it many times, including increasing my core temperature to the point where others could feel it sitting next to me, even though they didn't know what I was doing.

It didn't take any special mystical knowledge, teaching or learning to do. I just decided to start doing one day and voila! It was easy!

I am sorry to say, there is nothing mystical about it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    That is because when you focus your attention on a body part blood flows to the area and warms it. I have done it many times, including increasing my core temperature to the point where others could feel it sitting next to me, even though they didn't know what I was doing.

It didn't take any special mystical knowledge, teaching or learning to do. I just decided to start doing one day and voila! It was easy!

I am sorry to say, there is nothing mystical about it.
    Very true, i too have done this. Nothing mystical at all. Actually, it is a part of qigong.

never ceases to amaze me how the default mode of people's lack of knowledge about their own basic physiology is to attribute things to extraordinary sources...

except, of course, when I do something, well that's special just because I'm ME!!!!

and not Scot_

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    never ceases to amaze me how the default mode of people's lack of knowledge about their own basic physiology is to attribute things to extraordinary sources...
    People like to believe in magic. I wish magic was true, because it is so cool!

But there is only one place REAL magic can be found: REAL Magic

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    except, of course, when I do something, well that's special just because I'm ME!!!!
    No you're not!

Mazel-tough indeed

Why does the name Gary Moscowitz sound familiar to me?
    Go ahead, make my high holiday
    Mazel-tough guys gunning for terrorists
    By REUVEN FENTON and ANDY GELLER
    Last Updated: 7:28 PM, September 4, 2009

It's high noon for the high holidays.

Fearing jihadists will attack synagogues during Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, a group of badass rabbis has developed a program to turn your average shul-goer into a lean, mean fighting machine.

The group, which calls itself the International Security Coalition of Clergy, was founded by Rabbi Gary Moscowitz, who boasts a black belt in karate, teaches martial arts and was an NYPD cop for nine years.

He's teaching others basic and advanced fighting moves -- how to take down a terrorist by the neck, how to use a table as cover from gunfire and how to execute a nifty running somersault while drawing a gun -- that he says can be used by Jews if they're attacked by terrorists during prayer.

"Jews are not like Christians," Moscowitz said. "If I turn my cheek, I'm coming around to make a kick."

Moscowitz said he doesn't think Muslims in general are a threat, but "extremist groups are."

"We're just worried about the safety of the houses of worship that are being threatened with rhetoric on regular basis and extremism," the 52-year- old rabbi said.

Moscowitz said few people took him seriously until May, when the FBI busted homegrown Muslim terrorists for allegedly plotting to blow up synagogues in The Bronx.

Since then, he said, his phone has been ringing off the hook and he created a 100-hour course for synagogue self-defense.

Moscowitz said NYPD officers aren't qualified to guard synagogues because they don't know members of the congregation.

"A terrorist could put a yarmulke on, say, 'Happy holidays,' and blow the place up," he said.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said the rabbi had been fired in the early 1990s from the force, but didn't know details. Asked about Moscowitz's criticism of the NYPD, Browne opted for a biblical-like statement.

"Blessed are the tight of lip," he said, "for they shall resist speaking ill of the ill-informed."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Not sure if y'all caught wind of this one

I got sent a reader's copy of this book. It's pretty funny. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but now it'll sit well in the library of martial arts oddities...
    Sun, Nov. 29 2009 11:38 PM EDT
    Kung Fu Controversy Prompts 'Deadly Viper' Pastors to Revamp
    By Eric Young|Christian Post Reporter

The founders of a Christian leadership and lifestyle initiative have had to revamp their efforts after concerns were raised over the Asian theme infused into their latest book and their website.

While critics of the recently released book by pastors Mike Foster and Jud Wilhite said they had no problem with the intent and subject matter of Deadly Viper Character Assassin: A Kung Fu Survival Guide for Life and Leadership, they did, however, take issue with the theme the authors had chosen and the application of that theme, which they said “reveals a serious insensitivity to Asian culture and to the Asian-American community.”

“My contention is not about the content of the book itself,” wrote Professor Soong Chan Rah of North Park Seminary in a public letter earlier this month to Foster, Wilhite, and the book’s publisher, Zondervan. “It is with the way in which you choose to co-opt Asian culture in inappropriate ways.”

Examples of “inappropriate” co-opting included a related video clip that critics say portrayed Asians in a “cartoonish manner” and an image that presents Asians as “sinister enemies.”

“You are representing a culture that you do not know very well to thousands of people. You are using another culture to make your message more fun. That is offensive to those of us that are of that culture and seek to honor our culture,” Rah added.

Following the complaints, Zondervan and the book’s authors engaged in dialogues with Rah and several other Asian-American leaders that ultimately led to a public letter of apology from Zondervan, which decided to pull the book and the curriculum in their current forms from stores permanently.

“There is no need for debate on this subject,” Zondervan President and CEO Moe Girkins wrote on behalf of the Christian publishing company.

“We have taken the criticism and advice we have received to heart,” she added.

Still, while Girkins acknowledged that the book’s characterizations and visual representations were "offensive to many people," the publishing head made sure to also express Zondervan’s support for the book’s authors, who she testified as gifted writers and passionate about their ministry. She also maintained that Foster and Wilhite’s message is a “valuable” one and said Zondervan planned to work with them to come up with a better presentation of that message.

The Asian-American leaders who protested the book similarly testified to the work of Foster and Wilhite, noting that they have heard from numerous people who “deeply admire” their work and who attest to the impact that their ministry has in the Church today.

“We know there is much to preserve in the hard work you (Foster and Wilhite) have done to this point in creating the content and community for Deadly Vipers, and we want to see your excellent ideas and your growing following converge in similar vehicles as before (book, website, blog, etc.), or more,” wrote Rah and five other Asian-American leaders who were involved in the recent dialogues.

“Our hope and sincere prayer for you both is that this controversy and its resolution will in no way diminish your work and ministry, but broaden and deepen it,” they added in a public letter last Friday.

Since Zondervan’s decision to pull the book last week, Foster and Wilhite have shut down the Deadly Viper website and started People of the Second Chance, a new platform for their growing community.

“What is People of the Second Chance? Truthfully, we're still sort of figuring that out,” the pastors wrote in what remains of the Deadly Viper site.

“But we do know this ... we have dreamed for years about a movement of people that would let radical integrity and radical grace consume them in their life and leadership. And in God's perfect and ironic timing, People of the Second Chance is no longer just a nice concept with some stickers and tee shirts, but the very story we are living out right now,” they added.

Though the pastors reported that the past few weeks have been weeks of “learning, loss, tears, and experiencing a significant valley in our lives,” they said they are “more certain than ever that God does his best work in brokenness.”

Since Monday, the pastors have been moving the fans, followers, and friends of the Deadly Vipers initiative to the newly created Facebook fan page and Twitter account for People of the Second Chance. As of Sunday, the movement has over 1,400 Twitter followers and over 3,700 Facebook fans.

Foster and Wilhite have also registered URLs for their new website, potsc.org and potsc.com, the blog for which is expected to launch the week of Dec. 7.

Zondervan, meanwhile, has named Stan Gundry as the Editor-in-Chief of all Zondervan products who will be responsible for making the necessary changes at Zondervan to prevent “editorial mistakes like this” in the future.

It also plans to reach out to a broad spectrum of cultural experts to deepen its cultural awareness and sensitivity.

"Zondervan is committed to publishing Christian content and resources that uplift God and see humanity in its proper perspective in relation to God," Girkins had stated in her Nov. 19 letter.

"We take seriously our call to provide resources that encourage spiritual growth. And, we know there is more to learn by always listening to our critics as well as our advocates," she added.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I got sent a reader's copy of this book. It's pretty funny. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but now it'll sit well in the library of martial arts oddities...
    You mean asians aren't cartoonish and sinister villains?

wtf?

j/k That's a shining example of ignorance coming into the light though!

Or someone just getting busted on their jerkwadness and redacting.

Hard to say without more depth. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post

This guy sounds lke a bull**** artist trying to use Christianity to market himself

That is a required skill for most sifu to attract, teach and retain students. No martial art instructors talk as much as sifu... history lessons, eastern philosophy correlations, etc. Anything to divert the reality that the sifu is incompetent when it comes to combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    That is a required skill for most sifu to attract, teach and retain students. No martial art instructors talk as much as sifu... history lessons, eastern philosophy correlations, etc. Anything to divert the reality that the sifu is incompetent when it comes to combat.
    Most sifu? wtf is wrong with you man.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Xtreme Ministries

Where Feet, Fist and Faith Collide.
    Flock Is Now a Fight Team in Some Ministries
    Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times
    By R. M. SCHNEIDERMAN
    Published: February 1, 2010

MEMPHIS — In the back room of a theater on Beale Street, John Renken, 37, a pastor, recently led a group of young men in prayer.

Before the Cage Assault bout in Memphis, Mr. Lane got his hands taped by Pastor John Renken of Xtreme Ministries.

“Father, we thank you for tonight,” he said. “We pray that we will be a representation of you.”

An hour later, a member of his flock who had bowed his head was now unleashing a torrent of blows on an opponent, and Mr. Renken was offering guidance that was not exactly prayerful.

“Hard punches!” he shouted from the sidelines of a martial arts event called Cage Assault. “Finish the fight! To the head! To the head!”

The young man was a member of a fight team at Xtreme Ministries, a small church near Nashville that doubles as a mixed martial arts academy. Mr. Renken, who founded the church and academy, doubles as the team’s coach. The school’s motto is “Where Feet, Fist and Faith Collide.”

Mr. Renken’s ministry is one of a small but growing number of evangelical churches that have embraced mixed martial arts — a sport with a reputation for violence and blood that combines kickboxing, wrestling and other fighting styles — to reach and convert young men, whose church attendance has been persistently low. Mixed martial arts events have drawn millions of television viewers, and one was the top pay-per-view event in 2009.

Recruitment efforts at the churches, which are predominantly white, involve fight night television viewing parties and lecture series that use ultimate fighting to explain how Christ fought for what he believed in. Other ministers go further, hosting or participating in live events.

The goal, these pastors say, is to inject some machismo into their ministries — and into the image of Jesus — in the hope of making Christianity more appealing. “Compassion and love — we agree with all that stuff, too,” said Brandon Beals, 37, the lead pastor at Canyon Creek Church outside of Seattle. “But what led me to find Christ was that Jesus was a fighter.”

The outreach is part of a larger and more longstanding effort on the part of some ministers who fear that their churches have become too feminized, promoting kindness and compassion at the expense of strength and responsibility.

“The man should be the overall leader of the household,” said Ryan Dobson, 39, a pastor and fan of mixed martial arts who is the son of James C. Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, a prominent evangelical group. “We’ve raised a generation of little boys.”

These pastors say the marriage of faith and fighting is intended to promote Christian values, quoting verses like “fight the good fight of faith” from Timothy 6:12. Several put the number of churches taking up mixed martial arts at roughly 700 of an estimated 115,000 white evangelical churches in America. The sport is seen as a legitimate outreach tool by the youth ministry affiliate of the National Association of Evangelicals, which represents more than 45,000 churches.

“You have a lot of troubled young men who grew up without fathers, and they’re wandering and they’re hopeless and they’re lousy dads themselves and they’re just lost,” said Paul Robie, 54, a pastor at South Mountain Community Church in Draper, Utah.

Fighting as a metaphor has resonated with some young men.

“I’m fighting to provide a better quality of life for my family and provide them with things that I didn’t have growing up,” said Mike Thompson, 32, a former gang member and student of Mr. Renken’s who until recently had struggled with unemployment and who fights under the nickname the Fury. “Once I accepted Christ in my life,” Mr. Thompson said, “I realized that a person can fight for good.”

Nondenominational evangelical churches have a long history of using popular culture — rock music, skateboarding and even yoga — to reach new followers. Yet even among more experimental sects, mixed martial arts has critics.

“What you attract people to Christ with is also what you need to get people to stay,” said Eugene Cho, 39, a pastor at Quest Church, an evangelical congregation in Seattle. “I don’t live for the Jesus who eats red meat, drinks beer and beats on other men.”

Robert Brady, 49, the executive vice president of a conservative evangelical group, the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, agreed, saying that the mixed martial arts motif of evangelism “so easily takes away from the real focus of the church, which is the Gospel.” Many black churches have chosen not to participate.

Almost a decade ago, mixed martial arts was seen as a blood sport without rules or regulation. It was banned in nearly every state and denounced by politicians like Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona.

Over the past five years, however, because of shrewd marketing by the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the sport’s premier brand, mixed martial arts has become mainstream. Today the sport is legal and regulated in 42 states.

Its proponents point to a study by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine showing that mixed martial arts participants suffer a lower rate of knockouts than boxers.

Over the past year and a half, a subculture has evolved, with Christian mixed martial arts clothing brands like Jesus Didn’t Tap (in the sport, “tap” means to give up) and Christian social networking Web sites like Anointedfighter.com.

Roughly 100 young men, many sporting shaved heads and tattoos, attend fight parties at Canyon Creek near Seattle, watching bouts on the church’s four big-screen televisions. Vendors hustle hot dogs and “Predestined to Fight” T-shirts. About half are not church members but heard about the parties through friends, said Mr. Beals, who is known as the Fight Pastor.

Men ages 18 to 34 are absent from churches, some pastors said, because churches have become more amenable to women and children. “We grew up in a church that had pastel pews,” said Tom Skiles, 37, the pastor of Spirit of St. Louis Church in Arnold, Mo. “The men fell asleep.”

In focusing on the toughness of Christ, evangelical leaders are harking back to a similar movement in the early 1900s, historians say, when women began entering the work force. Proponents of this so-called muscular Christianity advocated weight lifting as a way for Christians to express their masculinity.

“This whole generation is raised on the idea that they’re in a culture war for the heart and soul of America,” said Stephen Prothero, a professor of religion at Boston University.

Paul Burress, 35, a chaplain and fight coach at Victory Baptist Church in Rochester, said mixed martial arts had given his students a chance to work on body, soul and spirit. “Win or lose, we represent Jesus,” he said. “And we win most of the time.”

But on that cold night in Memphis, Mr. Renken, the pastor from Xtreme Ministries, watched as two of his three fighters were beaten, one emerging with a broken ankle.

Another, Jesse Johnson, 20, a potential convert, was subdued in a chokehold and decided not to return home with the other church members after his bout. He stayed in Memphis, drinking and carousing with friends along Beale Street, this city’s raucous, neon-lighted strip of bars.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: February 4, 2010
    An article on Tuesday about some evangelical churches that have turned to mixed martial arts to attract young men misstated the age of John Renken, the founder XTreme Ministries, a church near Nashville that doubles as a fight academy. Mr. Renken is 37, not 42.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Baptist MMA

Triangle for the Trinity! Heh, heh, I kill myself. I should so register that slogan. If you hear it anywhere else, you know where it came from...
    Martial arts ministry: Churches find following using rough-and-tumble sport as draw
    * By Lindsay Melvin
    * Posted February 23, 2010 at 12:05 a.m.

As fighters circled each other throwing punches and high kicks, a young man dropped to his knees, gripping his stomach, red-faced as he tried to catch his breath.

Giving him a pat on the shoulder, Jonathan Border checked on his student, who'd just received a gut-punch pretty common in the world of mixed martial arts.
    Nathan Clem is comforted by instructor Jonathan Border (right) after getting the wind knocked out of him during an MMA class at Germantown Baptist Church last week. 'When people train to fight and don't have Christ in their life, they're missing what it's about,' said Border.

Nathan Clem is comforted by instructor Jonathan Border (right) after getting the wind knocked out of him during an MMA class at Germantown Baptist Church last week. "When people train to fight and don't have Christ in their life, they're missing what it's about," said Border.

"He knows that's going to happen. And it's going to happen again," said the head instructor at Germantown Martial Arts as the winded fighter trailed off to the water cooler.

Despite its rough appearance, MMA, a sport particularly attractive to men, is increasingly being used by churches and Evangelical Christians to bring people to Christ.

The sport -- renowned for its combat techniques and competitors that duke it out shirtless, tattooed and often bleeding -- is taught by Border at Germantown Baptist Church as one of the church's ministries.

Border is known to lead his team members in a ringside prayer before sending them in to unleash a torrent of blows.

"When people train to fight and don't have Christ in their life, they're missing what it's about," said Border, who holds a black belt in karate, judo and Brazilian jiujitsu and formerly was ranked second in the world as a professional kickboxer.

A combination of wrestling, boxing, kickboxing and a slew of martial arts, MMA is among the fastest growing sports in the world.

"Guys by nature, they love a physical challenge," said Jeff Presley, a devoted Christian and MMA instructor at Memphis Judo & Jiu-Jitsu in Bartlett.

While sports like MMA are attracting more men between the ages of 18-35, Presley said he thinks the feminization of the church has been a turnoff to that same group.

"Churches are more matriarchal in the U.S. That's why it's dying," he said.

Training young men in martial arts has allowed Presley to disciple people, who likely would have never stepped foot in church, he said.

"Sitting in the pews of a 1,000-person church, that's not really the way Jesus expected people to be challenged and grow," said the 44-year-old retired competitor, who now judges pro fights.

Like Jesus, Presley doesn't shy from going where the sinners are and he finds MMA often attracts men who've lost their way.

"There's a lot of hungry guys out there," he said.

Taking advantage of the MMA hype, Christ-centered apparel Web sites have cropped up across the Internet, with slogans like "Fight 4 Christ" and "Jesus Didn't Tap," a reference to when a fighter taps the mat to signal he gives up.

The American public was exposed to MMA through the Ultimate Fighting Championships, which first aired on pay-per-view in 1993.

But its lack of rules, including no weight classes and no time limit for rounds, earned the sport a brutal reputation and U.S. Sen. John McCain launched a campaign against it.

By 2001, the sport was made safer and officially sanctioned.

MMA, however, still carries that stigma of being too violent, Border said.

"More people die from football, the same thing with boxing. In MMA they can always tap out," he said.

Germantown Baptist recruited him to start the fitness ministry in 1999, and what began with fewer than a dozen students has since grown to 200 adults and children.

Whether Jesus would get in the ring, Border can't say, yet he believes Jesus wouldn't frown on his work.

"If I can use this to head people toward him, I don't think he'd be disappointed," he said.

John Renken, founder of Xtreme Ministries in Clarksville, Tenn., which runs the Clarksville Mixed Martial Arts Academy, estimates there are 700 ministries across the country active in MMA, whether watching fights together or actively competing.

With the motto, "Where Feet, Fist and Faith Collide," the academy is not so much about MMA, Renken said, as building relationships with other men.

"I've noticed when we train together, sweat together and sometimes bleed together, it forms a bond ... and it becomes a very natural progression from fighting in the gym with me to going to church with me," he said.

During a recent sparring session at Germantown Martial Arts, a muscular man with tattoos etched across his forearms and legs, pulled off his headgear and gingerly rubbed his jaw.

"I'm not going to be able to eat for three days," said Dan Schroeppel, 33.

Looking over at his sweaty buddy, who'd just kicked him in the face, Schroeppel said there are never any hard feelings.

"It makes me better," said the Cordova resident, who was preparing for an upcoming fight.

Schroeppel has been studying martial arts with Border for more than three years.

He'd tried other MMA programs, but found there was too much ego and competition.

At Germantown Baptist, he said, everyone is cool. However, the attraction was more about the program's high caliber of coaching than its Christian message, he said.

"I'm just not a very religious person," he said.

At the same time, Christopher Burt, a psychology and history major at Crichton College, says the program has not only gotten him in physical shape, but in spiritual shape as well.

"It's hard to find genuineness in the real world, let alone in a church," said the 22-year-old, whose experience with MMA has given him an alternative way to reconnect with his Christian roots.

Border ends each training session with a prayer and is not shy about helping a student going through a rough patch by talking about the gospel.

It's been a welcoming experience, Burt said, "Even when you feel uncomfortable in church you come in here and people genuinely care about you."

-- Lindsay Melvin: 529-2445
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fight church!

We just happen to punch people in the face
    Published: Tuesday, March 2, 2010
    Lynnwood pastor uses martial arts to reach athletes and parishioners
    By Oscar Halpert
    Herald Writer
    LYNNWOOD — It's fight night at Canyon Creek Church.

Groups of men and a handful of women in their 20s and early 30s arrive to watch the live, televised feed of a professional mixed martial arts bout between big-time headliners Antonio Minotauro Nogeira and Cain Velasquez.

Inside the church's auditorium, a sound system thumps a rhythmic bass beat as colored lights swirl. Two flat-screen TVs hang from the ceiling and a high-definition projection screen occupies a central spot at the rear of the 280-seat auditorium's stage.

Nogeira and Velasquez approach the ring as the Rolling Stones' “Sympathy for the Devil” booms over loudspeakers.

“It's actually a pretty small turnout tonight,” says youth pastor Travis Kerwin, 28.

Suddenly, lead pastor Brandon Beals leaps to the stage, holding a microphone.

“We have T-shirts to give away, more T-shirts to give away,” Beals tells the 150 people who paid $10 for a seat.

A church might seem to be a strange place to show mixed martial arts, a full contact sport involving a mix of kickboxing, boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

For Beals, it's the fulfillment of a dream: combining his passion for the sport with his devotion to establishing an evangelical church close to his hometown of Mill Creek.

At this church, Beals sprinkles Ultimate Fighting Championship stories into sermons, pastors travel to bouts to pray for fighters, and Beals maintains a blog.

His involvement with the mixed martial arts community through a ministry he's organized called “Fight Church” has attracted widespread media attention, including a story in The New York Times, which profiled what it cited as a new trend: churches that reach out to those in the mixed martial arts community.

“There's a misconception that we're a beer-drinkin,' cussing congregation,” he says. “Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm about as clean-cut as they come.”

The way Beals and other young leaders of his church see it, Christianity has lost its focus on what matters — reaching out to people on their terms, in language they can relate to.

They see Jesus not as someone who engaged in fistfights, but as a man who refused to give up. Posters inside the church repeat the theme: Never give up.

A graduate of Northwest University in Kirkland, where Beals met his wife, Di, he began his religious work as senior associate and youth pastor at Bethany Christian Assembly in North Everett.

The couple moved to California, where Beals served as a youth pastor in Modesto while working on his master's degree in theology. His thesis was titled “How to Start a Church.”

“Through that process,” he says, “I felt like God was telling me to put up or shut up. I wanted to create a church that I'd be comfortable going to.”

Canyon Creek Church started in early 2004 in a small rented space in Mill Creek. As word spread, the church outgrew its space. Two years ago, Beals and his associates purchased a building just off 164th Street SW on Ash Way in unincorporated Lynnwood that they quickly remodeled.

Beals and fellow pastor Christian Lindebeck now lead a congregation that has grown from a couple of dozen to more than 700 with a staff of 17.

The church will soon be expanding to a 16-acre site on Highway 9 at Cathcart to build an 85,000-square-foot facility, complete with sports fields and a gymnasium available to the community.

The fight church is just one part of the mission, Beals says. It stems from his long interest in mixed martial arts, which led him to start blogging about it.

Beals' passion for the sport has led to a ministry in which he and Kerwin fly to mixed martial arts events and minister to competitors. To help fund fight church, he recently started a related business called Fight Pastor. T-shirts designed by a church member are sold at the Saturday night fights.

“It doesn't really make any money,” he says. “I already have a job. We just want to be self-supporting.”

Instead, he says his goal is to reach out to fighters, men he says have generally been viewed stereotypically outside the fan base as violence-prone lug heads at best and thugs at worst. Some states have banned the sport, though through the popular Ultimate Fighting Challenge — sort of the NFL of mixed martial arts — its popularity has entered the mainstream.

“I consider myself an ambassador for Christ to the mixed martial arts community,” Beals says.

Professional fighter Demico Rogers of Bothell is one of the two fighters whom Beals and Kerwin regularly minister to before bouts.

“We both have the same common goals for MMA,” Rogers says, “to not have it looked at so negatively.”

Rogers, 28, is a married family man who wants to have children someday.

“We're normal people,” he says. “We just happen to punch people in the face.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

“We're normal people,” he says. “We just happen to punch people in the face.”

LOL!!!! Best quote of the day!!!!!!

I get a laugh from people who profess Christianity but couldn't articulate the base tenets of it with a gun to their head.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

WHAT???? you mean there are so called "Christians" out there that don't know / Live according to the "true" teachings of Christianity?????

Next, you'll tell me the Easter Bunny isn't Real!!!!!!!!!