Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but to drop my two copper coins, religion shouldn't be forced on a student. That's why we have churches, temples, etc. I being christian do not want bhuddism forced on me. I'm all for learning about other things, but I can read up on it in my spare time.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Greetings..

SPJ:
    I think (IMHO) that the study of fighting systems should not be referred to as an Art untill several concepts/disciplines are introduced, not the least of which is "Ethics"..

Kung Lek:
    Circular logic is bullsh.it, I avoid it in matters that have meaning.
    .. Please explain, it seems that "circular logic" is applicable to your position on this matter of .. it's okay to offend others if they have offended someone else.. or, "if you didn't mean to do it, then you wouldn't have done it in teh first place".. you kind of overlook innocent ignorance.. IMHO kindly educating someone to the nuances of cultural etiquette would have a more lasting and more beneficial effect than harsh words and character bashing.. anyway, i am only hoping to see this issue from a different perspective, i don't normally "kick the things that bug me", i try to see if i can find a common ground or help change a situation that could avoid even more misunderstandings..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Originally posted by SPJ
    Responding the

You are right, religious Daoism and Buddhism do not require MA learning.

I was refering to the old days.
    'Most' monks/priests/whatever were not fightin' machines in the 'old days' either.

unko-

which one of the idiots are you representing with the new handle now?

can you be more transparent possibly?

lamo.

ED, i realize you were refering to a she, you stated it early on in the thread.

I think it is cheap and dirtbaggish to do such a thing and that's where I stand. Let it go and don't endorse her at all. if people come asking in regards to lineage, then respond exactly as you have responded here.

Bob-

the zen way is to "just be" there is no evil, there is no good, things just are and we can point em out however we like. How you think about me makes no difference anymore than anyone else.

I will continue to think and do as I am compelled by the forces of the universe that spark to move this flesh and bone around.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    unko-

which one of the idiots are you representing with the new handle now?

can you be more transparent possibly?

lamo.

This is the brilliant discourse of which you are so proud? Impressive.

'Most' monks/priests/whatever were not fightin' machines in the 'old days' either.
    Agreed.

Earth Dragon:

That is tough. A "runaway" student. Being a teacher, you somehow have to guide her in the right path. Because whatever your student said or did does reflect on you.

If people ask for her reference, you may say yes she was once your student, however, she still has a long way to go for her study.

To teach a student to study MA is tough. To teach a student to be a righteous person is even tougher. In the end, she is still your student. In other words, your teaching is not finished yet. however, it is up to her if she wants to continue her learning or not. Otherwise, you may only give her partial credit for her incomplete study.

Taichibob:

I agreed totally.

Greetings...

the zen way is to "just be" there is no evil, there is no good, things just are and we can point em out however we like.
    I tend to agree, largely, with the above quote, except.. "however we like".. although there is no good/evil, there are consequences.. good/evil are merely labels of desirability, consequences, however, may cause others to stumble or be misled on their journey.. to use antagonistic or harsh language could cause more harmful consequences than the self-gratifying benefit gained by the individual choosing to engage in such dialogue..

My personal philosophy, and that which i include in my teaching philosophy is, "do no harm", except in the defense of self and others..

I will continue to think and do as I am compelled by the forces of the universe that spark to move this flesh and bone around.
    Although the "forces of the Universe" may provide the energy and raw material for the "flesh and bone", choice and deed are the signatures of your individual consciousness.. what you "continue to think and do" is how you choose to define yourself in the eyes of others.. I thank the universe for the oportunity to use this Body and Mind, but.. i take full responsibility for the actions and deeds as directed by my consciousness (spirit, for those inclined to see past the confines of logical structure)..

Be well.. (good dialogue, thanks)..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I've seen a few different contextualizations of Wu Wei, but "kick away what bugs you" is a new one. Now that I think about it though, I may remember something like that in the Surangama Sutra: 'Meditation on the Faculty of Arbitrary Hostility.' Yeah; sounds reasonable.

SPJ,
    very insightful, I sometimes need to remember that being a teacher is a life long responsibility. I tend to not put effort into my runaway students as you called them. I do put 100% attention on my active students. I have taught 100's over the years so I think I almost have to cut them loose. I do respect your post though in a special way. thank You ED
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

On the flip side,
    We receive numerous letters and emails every year from people wanting us to teach them to "enter the Buddha." We had a guy in military prison at Ft. Sill asking to become a disciple and learn the path to enlightenment. We do not, in any way shape or form, advertise or teach anything Buddhist in association with the school.

In America, people are begging for something to believe in. Some people are willing to give it to them, for a buck or two.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 04-14-2004 at 01:21 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I don't know much about religion , but seems this religous guy beleives in " qi gong" and has talked to my qi gong teacher.

http://www3.telus.net/Nelson_United/...avidmar30.html

Mk said a while back that kungfu is moving meditation...I love that and so did alot of others at time...for me my meditation is based in principals of now buddhist philosohies so there is no one without the other....but i guess it just comes back to the same ol tcm vs ma general argument.....

bob-

please explain consequences? merits? demerits? and what has that got to do with zen? mahayana and zen while having some mutual ground are not one and the same.

"however we like" is totally ok. consequences do not really exist in an internet forum filled with 5 guys using 45 pseudonyms to argue amongst themselves.

in fact, in zen, duality doesn't exist. but hey, i'm just saying.

unko-

Talk to me with the other person inside your head.

Man, where are you getting all the email addresses from? Do you actually get any work at all done or are you just toatlly sc.rewing your boss over for bandwidth and internet time where you are just a lump in a cubicle? doing nothing? man, koko must be a nice place to wank all day on someone elses dime. I would never hire you. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I know this wasn't addressed to me but what d'you mean.different .......that zen as a meditative focus as oppose to mahayana directly applicable to ma ???

Originally posted by Kung Lek

unko-

Talk to me with the other person inside your head.

??????????????????????????????????