Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

lol...you're really calling yourself unko????

that's the funniest thing I've heard today

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    lol...you're really calling yourself unko????

that's the funniest thing I've heard today

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    On the flip side,
    We receive numerous letters and emails every year from people wanting us to teach them to "enter the Buddha."
    Send 'em my way. I'll teach 'em to "enter the Buddha", ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Kung Lek

Greetings..

in fact, in zen, duality doesn't exist. but hey, i'm just saying.
    .. lovely concept, no duality.. but, all that exists and permits us to have experiences is based on duality.. nothing exists except by comparison to something else.. and that is duality.. "in Zen", separates "Zen" by comparison to other things, itself a duality.. we study, train and meditate our way through the rich world of duality experiences , why? if the goal is non-duality, if such a condition exists then no other condition is permitted by definition.. i think what we really refer to when we reference "non-duality" is the unity that is inherent in diversity.. we are like snowflakes, unique patterns of exactly the same stuff.. unity and diversity.. the divine dichotomy..

Consequences? hmmm.. when your actions affect others, are those actions harmful or beneficial? The consequence of taking the power shot while you have a training partner's hands trapped resulting in a broken nose or some other such result.. a consequence of your choices and deeds is downtime for your partner but food for your ego.. is there a fair balance here?

"however we like" is totally ok. consequences do not really exist in an internet forum filled with 5 guys using 45 pseudonyms to argue amongst themselves.
    ..Really? some people have more than one handle in here.. why? it would seem like way too much trouble to keep up with more than 1.

If you don't see the inherent value in sincere interaction with others and consider interactive experiences to be solely for your benefit, then.. "however we like" will provide you with just that type of self-fulfilling life experience.. on the other hand, if you find value in the interactive experiences with others, a natural result of that value is cooperative experiences.. a willingness to give and take, not always "however we like" but beneficial at another level..

consequences do not really exist in an internet forum filled with 5 guys using 45 pseudonyms to argue amongst themselves.
    .. sure they do, look at the time invested in the dialogue.. have you gained any insights from any dialogues, there's a positive consequence.. have you found your emotions rising and feel challenged, there's another consequence..

It's too easy to write off the complicated dynamics of interpersonal relationships in favor of conceptual theories and "zen-like" rituals.. speaking of which, how non-dual is the whole Zen ritual experience?

Anyway, thanks for the dialogue.. Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I'm too lazy ot read all the replies...

but a balance is needed between physical and mental / spirital in order to become exceptional good. There are cliches about a warrior being a poet etc etc. Many past great masters had a combination whether there were buddhist, muslims, christians, taoist etc.
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

I'm too lazy ot read all the replies...
    Well, let me sum them up for you. Kung Lek is using some totally ridiculous non-existent variation on buddhism to justify remaining an adolescent for his entire life and having little to no regard for the feelings of others.

Bob is explaining why what Kung Lek believes doesn't really qualify as zen.

But, like so many discussions between adults and children, there is a communication barrier that Bob is having difficulty penetrating.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

For give me if I 'm wrong but wasnt Kung Lek a moderator at one time? It seems to me he used to be very helpful and polite, what happened?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

For give me if I 'm wrong but wasnt Kung Lek a moderator at one time? It seems to me he used to be very helpful and polite, what happened?
    He went off his meds.

The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Since so many martial arts evolved from ideas and ideals as well as combat experiences, it makes sense to study what those ideas/ideals were and are in odrder to understand what it is we are practicing.

Ultimately without some sort of philosophy or cultural practices, I think the martial arts get kinda boring.
    Last edited by shaolinboxer; 04-15-2004 at 07:33 AM.

Good posts.

Actually all schools of Wushu do have their own life philosophy and unique technical solutions to common combat problems.

Wu Wei: I got lost at lot in this in my early days with teachers of Daoism and Buddhism. Bear with me. I am no expert.

I. Do nothing.
    Why? Nature will take care of itself. No matter what you do will not effect the outcome. Because everything in nature follows the law/path/Dao of nature.

Government should impose fewer laws and engage in fewer wars and lower the taxes, so that people may have time to study and contribute to economy.

II. Cause and effect.
    The cause is the effect. The effect is the cause. huh?

Everything is moving in a circle of time and space. It does not matter where you start in the circle of the life. The ****her you go, the closer you are to your starting point. So your future is your past (start point). your past (start point) is your future. It is Karma. It is why the cause is the effect and the effect is the cause. So it happens everyday in this life, too. Not just the past life and present life. If it does not happen yet, it surely will. It is only a matter of time.

III. Do everything (Wu Sou Bu Wei).
    If you do everything, you starts a lot of things in circles. They will all come back to you. So do nothing that would effect the nature.

IV. Follow the law/Dao of the nature.
    To do that, you have to study the law of nature. So that you do nothing to effect the nature. Because ill effects will befall on you if you do.

V. Do everything that is consistent with the law of nature.
    Do nothing that is inconsistent with law of the nature.

Wu Wei does not mean do whatever you want or do absolutely nothing.

It means do nothing to effect the nature or harm the nature. And do everything only if it is consistent with the law of nature.

I feel very tired now. sort of brain freeze.

well ED

I found god... hidden in the third cushion of my couch.

lol

in all seriousness, I am still fully capable of being polite and helpful, but I am also more than will to reject the taunts and disrespect of those who willfully come and disparage particular practices that I hold in high regard.

Which has been the case here for quite a while.
    There are far too many posters here bashing something tha they clearly know very little or nothing about and it well, frankly, It irks me and so I reject them, verbally and blatantly.

I refuse to take there nonsense and ill understanding of chinese martial arts and just let them stomp it the same way a gardner would refuse to let teenagers stomp his prized lilly garden.

for too long the high school wrestler has been making claims of being the be all and end all of martial arts, and this is simply farcical and an outrageous insult to my sensibilities.

So, I chose to attack. And in order to do so (Bob, you're gonna love this part) I chose to accept the consequences of my actions, to withdraw from being moderate and to set to the task of attacking the vermin for what they were and picking away at their sophism using whatever weapons are available.

Not being oneto sit idley by and take sh.it for too long, this was my choice.

Now having said that, I will do my best to not make it comfortable for them regardless of their attacks on me or my character. they really should return to the forums they came from with their willful intent to "teach us kf-ers" a lesson about martial arts (as if they knew something about martial arts).

In reality all they do is flail and clutch at each other grasping for some small and useless understanding and gaining nothing but repetitive violence again and again until if they have any courage at all, they grow old, with bad scars, broken noses and all sorts of other marks that shows they are merely violent, and have no kungfu.

Taichi bob, you would be surprised at what lengths the pernicious will go to to gain some seed of self confidence, but it will never come to them in the guise they carry of cowardly anonymity.

All they seek to do is destroy and ridicule that which they are incapable of understanding.

Now there's some zen for ya

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sorry to interrupt.

Wu Wei.

Why is that you will not effect the outcome of nature?

Why is that if you harm nature you will be harmed?

It is a number game. You are one in a millions and millions. Together are called nature. We are all part of universe/nature.

Everything in nature interacts in a dynamic of a huge Tai Ji ball/balance.

If you do something to the mother nature. The millions of others will play Tai Ji Quan against you. You are bounced off. The reason is still in the number. Millions of others are like millions of Jin's. You are only one of the many and many. Your single Jin will be merged, yielded and redirected by the millions.

Wu Wei for the new millenium.

Do nothing to interfer the internal affairs of hundreds of other countries.

Do nothing to engineer the birth of a star (super nova or black hole).

Do nothing to clone human or other life forms.

Do nothing to genetically alter ---.

Sometimes it is easy to forget that we are only one/part of millions others called nature.

The more we know, or study. We know that so few we know.
    Last edited by SPJ; 04-16-2004 at 03:36 AM.

Kung Lek

Greetings..

Regardless of our banterings.. i have respect for your point of view, i may disagree on tactics but hold the principle.. it is through this sort of dialogue that i refine my own understandings..

Thanks again, and.. Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Originally posted by Kung Lek

for too long the high school wrestler has been making claims of being the be all and end all of martial arts, and this is simply farcical and an outrageous insult to my sensibilities.

Your 'sensibilities'?! hahahahahahahaaaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaaaa aahaahahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhaaha!

That's funny!

You seem to focus on high school alot. Is that because that is the extent of your education, or because that is where you go to find your boyfriends?

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    in all seriousness, I am still fully capable of being polite and helpful,

I'm sure you're capable of being polite, but I've never seen you post anything helpful.

Which has been the case here for quite a while.
    There are far too many posters here bashing something tha they clearly know very little or nothing about

Like you, for example, in your constant bashing of boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu, all of which you clearly know very little or nothing about.

Uh, yeah. Find an instance of MP, ST00, myself, ap, or anyone else you're hostile to ever stating that high school wrestling is the be all and end all to martial arts.

....waiting....

....still waiting....

So, I chose to attack. And in order to do so (Bob, you're gonna love this part) I chose to accept the consequences of my actions, to withdraw from being moderate and to set to the task of attacking the vermin for what they were and picking away at their sophism using whatever weapons are available.

If by "whatever weapons are available" you mean "grade school name-calling", since that's the only thing I've seen you do since giving up moderatorship.

Now having said that, I will do my best to not make it comfortable for them regardless of their attacks on me or my character. they really should return to the forums they came from with their willful intent to "teach us kf-ers" a lesson about martial arts (as if they knew something about martial arts).

Yeah, guys who train 4-5 days a week for years of their lives know nothing about martial arts.

Taichi bob, you would be surprised at what lengths the pernicious will go to to gain some seed of self confidence, but it will never come to them in the guise they carry of cowardly anonymity.

Of whom, exactly, are you speaking? Merry, St00, lkfmdc, apoweyn, and I have all posted our real names and locations on this board multiple times. Where does the 'cowardly anonymity' come in?
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn