Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

I'm a religious guy (born again Christian), but my experiences with religion and the martial arts have been pretty pathetic. No specifics, but the books I have read trying to mix the two have been sub par attempts written at about a sixth grade level. One religious kung fu instructor I have studied under seems to suffer from severe emotional baggage, and I would actually call him a lier, but he seems not to keep his word because he becomes dysfunctional because of his problems. Perhaps others have had better experiences, but I have to go by my experience.
    Last edited by Dim Wit Mak; 04-17-2004 at 07:01 AM.
    Figure Eight

Originally posted by Kung Lek

for too long the high school wrestler has been making claims of being the be all and end all of martial arts, and this is simply farcical and an outrageous insult to my sensibilities.

All they seek to do is destroy and ridicule that which they are incapable of understanding.

Now there's some zen for ya

cheers
    couldn't agree more!

It's kinda amusing to see, I read 7*'s thread about who was doing what workout and when, and I see nothing competitive....what is there like 1 or 2 dudes thinking they're ma superstars because they do 6 and 7 hrs training some days....gimme a break....real kungu was and in the temple today being practiced up to 12 hrs...every day...for 20 yrs and more...and those dudes still concede they know jack sh*t.....little reality check here folks........... I understand that most folks aren't half as committed to their art let alone have an understanding of it or other related philoshies and methods...

It's a shame to see so much truly valuable information being wrtten off by little close-minded know all-but know-nothings because they're affraid of what they can't comprehend....

cei la vie

Like you, for example, in your constant bashing of boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu, all of which you clearly know very little or nothing about.
    says the out of shape pimple faced smart@ss who doesn't do anything but maybe drink too much, smoke to much, take to many drugs and the only thing they've thrown out is a bowling ball. lol

dude, my juvenile boxing record is 32-2-4

I wrestled for Both high schools I attended.

I totally like jujitsu and look forward to learning more about it.

You see, you and your ilk just talk out your @sses. All you are doing is trolling I know. Because you are a troll. Well, that is just fine with me, I am comfy in the martial arts I do. Are you comfortable in knowing that you aren't doing enough of anything to qualify as much more than a troll?

fatherdog, perhaps you do father dogs

lol, that is basically what we refer to someone who is in all actuality a "do- nothing" in the parts I come from.

Anyway, come on up for the meet in may if ya gotr the guts, we'll give ya a taste of boxing wrestling and even a little kungfu. I extend the invitation to anyone here.

Good clean fun, three days of exchanges and martial arts. Toronto at the beaches, may 22, 23,24 kew gardens, rain or shine. I hope to see some of you there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol...dude.....you know it's trolling so why invite it ino your personal life

ps: they're only back your as* 'cause I've been to busy to been round much...it matters right??

So that explains it! You got beat down and rode the bench for 4 years. Don't be bitter, fish. Move on.

says the out of shape pimple faced smart@ss who doesn't do anything but maybe drink too much, smoke to much, take to many drugs and the only thing they've thrown out is a bowling ball. lol

1) I neither smoke nor do drugs. Drink too much I'll cop to.

2) Check the Training Blog threads for how "out of shape" I am.

dude, my juvenile boxing record is 32-2-4

Prove it. Give me your name and the dates you competed. Since you're complaining about our "cowardly anonymity", you should have no problem providing your personal details, right?

Are you comfortable in knowing that you aren't doing enough of anything to qualify as much more than a troll?

I'm comfortable in my twenty hours per week spent in the gym, yes.

fatherdog, perhaps you do father dogs

There's that maturity again.

Good clean fun, three days of exchanges and martial arts. Toronto at the beaches, may 22, 23,24 kew gardens, rain or shine. I hope to see some of you there.
    Sorry, I'll be helping coach the newer guys at Grappler's Quest on the 22nd - feel free to stop by our school anytime, though. You might learn something.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Whatever, why don't you look up it up yourself. I'm not certain if the Manitoba sports federation has the records online, but ya never know, they might. You wanna look at my boxing record, you can look it up through them I would think and I'm pretty sure they would require a processing fee. So you pay it. Anyway, you can check with either the sports federation who might have it, or manitoba ameteur boxing assoc, or Orioles Boxing club and Clifton boxing clube where i was in teh late 70's and early 80's. GOod luck though, it is hard to dig that stuff up. But you never know, some stats keeper from back in the day might have it around somewhere. It's not like pro fighters afterall.

Kind of lame thing to say "prove it" in that respect don't ya think fd? Prove you've done anything whatsoever. YOu'll probably have a hard time proving where you were last week. I'm just saying that if you think I don't know about western boxing, think again, I know enough and have likely done more of it than you.

again, just saying.

And dude, you've posted pictures of yourself here before and I would say you are not exactly what I would call in shape despite how much you can write down about your workout. lol

I could copy and paste a page on jack lalane myself I guess. BUt lets just get it straight that you are the one coming on with the smart mouth and dissing me and what I do and what I know. What did you expect? An ok? a pat on the back? you can bite my @ss in that regards.

And I asked first in re: to coming out for some play time. You can't flip flop. The invite is there for anyone. Anyone who does show, I will be more than happy to reciprocate.

In fact I have openly exchanged info and martial knowledge with members of other forums and found it to be a great experience. You should try it yourself sometime instead of being a keyboard warrior only.

Ya could likely learn a thing or two yerself.

Take it easy on the booze, it has a lot to do with those love handles you're sporting which ain't exactly attractive or healthy on a guy as young as you. Just a little advice.

cheers
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 04-17-2004 at 02:38 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Whatever, why don't you look up it up yourself.

Post your name, and I will.

Kind of lame thing to say "prove it" in that respect don't ya think fd? Prove you've done anything whatsoever.

My tournament record is verifiable, as is my school, and the fight records of the folks I train with.

And dude, you've posted pictures of yourself here before and I would say you are not exactly what I would call in shape despite how much you can write down about your workout. lol

Mmm. I can run three miles without being winded, and I can go 10 rounds in the ring kickboxing, but I'm not what you would call in shape, based on a few pictures I posted last year. Mmmhmm.

Don't see any pics of you floating around, come to think.

I could copy and paste a page on jack lalane myself I guess. BUt lets just get it straight that you are the one coming on with the smart mouth and dissing me and what I do and what I know.

I haven't said a thing about what you do, much less dissed it. I have no idea what style you practice, and whatever it is, I haven't dissed it on these boards; I've never dissed any style on these boards. I've dissed specific training methods, and I've argued with people regarding ground fighting. There are only two things I've ever dissed about you -

1) The fact that you make statements that are wildly inaccurate about boxing and grappling (incidentally, my wrestling coach has gone to Freestyle nationals twice, and my boxing coach (Fernando Munoz, and his amatuer record is also findable and verifiable) has over 100 fights, with more wins than you claim to have bouts to your name, so when you say something that is the exact opposite of what they claim to be true, I'm gonna go ahead and say you're full of sht, kthx)

2) The fact that you've mostly abandoned logical argument in favor of petty namecalling, which is just sad.

And I asked first in re: to coming out for some play time. You can't flip flop. The invite is there for anyone. Anyone who does show, I will be more than happy to reciprocate.

Actually, I've stated on many, many occasions that I'd be happy to spar with anyone that chooses to come to my school, so if you're going to get into asinine "I asked first!" stuff, my offer predates yours by a fair bit.

Take it easy on the booze, it has a lot to do with those love handles you're sporting which ain't exactly attractive or healthy on a guy as young as you. Just a little advice.

cheers
    Now I think you've mistaken me for someone else, since I A) don't have love handles, B) have never had love handles, and C) have never had a picture of me taken with my shirt off, so it's not like you'd know anyway.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

lol

whatever fd- you are , how you say...nevermind. Anyway, you keep posting the same jive under so many different names, it's, well it says more about you than it does about me.

anyway, if you don't know who i am, i ain't helping you out.
    you haven't been paying attention clearly.

that's cool, I'm done with you, you're obviously ..gifted or something I guess. So, show up if you want to learn something, you know where i am for those 3 days. this is your chance to make a mockery of me for real instead of on an internet chat board.

If I do find myself going to the states, I'll be certain I check here first and catch where you are. Just saying.

cheers
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 04-17-2004 at 06:16 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol

whatever fd- you are , how you say...nevermind. Anyway, you keep posting the same jive under so many different names, it's, well it says more about you than it does about me.

Really? What names would those be? If you think I'm using different accounts, please post which ones. I'd be happy to ask any of the current mods to take a look at the IP access and posting histories and confirm or deny your statement.

anyway, if you don't know who i am, i ain't helping you out.
    you haven't been paying attention clearly.

Ah, so we're anonymous cowards, but you won't post your real name. Good call, ace.

that's cool, I'm done with you, you're obviously ..gifted or something I guess. So, show up if you want to learn something, you know where i am for those 3 days. this is your chance to make a mockery of me for real instead of on an internet chat board.

Sorry, Grappler's Quest is more of a priority for me than shutting up some keyboard warrior.

If I do find myself going to the states, I'll be certain I check here first and catch where you are. Just saying.

cheers
    Bayside Academy of Mixed Martial Arts. Stop by anytime.

look..I dont know what hating game you folks are playing and to be honest I don't give half a sh*t...kl has posted pictures, links and other to the adeotness of his game, and I've only been here a year...but i aint seen d*ck from any - a you- except Iron and poor ol inic...lol....

the dude has my respect and you.....have nothing...do some yoga and chill for some...'cause far as I'm concerned youre just hatng onthe dude 'cause for his ex-moderator status...

same old...western gungfu dude ( which I totally consider kl to be...plays off wanna be gongfu dude....

same as asian dudes of lil while back plays "no...I cn kick your as* western dude"

wtfeva

half of you are morons and the other half needto meditate

cheers

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    look..I dont know what hating game you folks are playing and to be honest I don't give half a sh*t...kl has posted pictures, links and other to the adeotness of his game, and I've only been here a year...but i aint seen d*ck from any - a you- except Iron and poor ol inic...lol....

Then you haven't been paying much attention, since Merry, ap, Oso, fa_jing and I have all posted numerous clips and pictures of us in action.

the dude has my respect and you.....have nothing...do some yoga and chill for some...'cause far as I'm concerned youre just hatng onthe dude 'cause for his ex-moderator status...

And, after all, since you're a highly-paid model with a genius IQ (nevermind that you can't spell) who could easily qualify for the Olympics but won't because you "don't want to compete", I'm desperate to gain your respect.

well that's all that matters

ps...i can spell...it's just my typing's not not so great

I think it should be optional, noone should be forced to learn religion in order to just learn martial arts.

I agree...I think you're missing my point though...there are many differnt levels of ma study and it still comes back to thesmae old traditional vs modern