Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

In Hinduism Kali's three functions are assigned to the gods: Brahma, the creator; Vishnu, the preserver; and Shiva, the destroyer. It is noted that Vishnu, who is thought to have brought the world out of the primal abyss, wrote the following about Kali: "Maternal cause of all change, manifestation, and destruction... the whole Universe rests upon Her, rises out of Her and melts into Her. From Her crystallized the original elements and qualities which construct the apparent world. She is both mother and grave... The gods themselves are merely constructs out of Her maternal substance, which is both consciousness and potential joy."

Kali was the Ocean of Blood at the beginning of the world; she might be said to be the primordial mass from which all life arouse; and her ultimate destruction of the universe is prefigured by the destruction of each individual, though her karmic wheel always brought reincarnation. After death came nothing-at-all, which Tantric sages called the third of three states of being; to experience it was like the experience of Dreamless Sleep. This state was also called "the Generative Womb of All, the Beginning and End of Beings." Kali devoured Time, she resumed her "dark formlessness," which appeared in all myths of before-creation and after-doomsday as elemental Chaos.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Allegory.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Ah, don't get me wrong. I admire Bruno. What the church did to him, not so much.
    The church was made into an instituition and like any other, it has become its own entity.
    When people say that have issues with religion they mean organized religion and not religion per say.
    Religion is ANY collection of beliefs about andconcerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    Religion has never been a problem except when it is institutionalized and made into an entity/corporation, ie: organized religion.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Scientists tend to put more "faith" in THEIR "fantasies" then others because, well, it's their fantasies and since they are men of logic, they must be base don logic, LOL !

Multiple universes, parallel dimensions, strings, singularities and so forth are no more or less "fanciful" than some uber being with control over matter and energy, which' if he were a highly evolved being from another planet or universe, would be readily accepted by the very scientists that degrade religious views of the "supernatural".
    Not even close. String theory, M-theory etc are theories developed by means of rigorous mathematics to produce possible solutions to very specific problems encountered in the Standard Model of physics. It's not just some whimsical fancy. Theoretical? Yes. Fantasy? Not so much. Not any more than calculus or linear algebra is fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Not even close. String theory, M-theory etc are theories developed by means of rigorous mathematics to produce possible solutions to very specific problems encountered in the Standard Model of physics. It's not just some whimsical fancy. Theoretical? Yes. Fantasy? Not so much. Not any more than calculus or linear algebra is fantasy.
    Note the quotation marks around "fantasy".
    And to compare string theory and parallel universe to calculus and algebra is a bit of a stretch dude.

And to compare string theory and parallel universe to calculus and algebra is a bit of a stretch dude.
    The Standard Model is just a bunch of differential equations.

Here's one of my favorite exotic hypotheses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_star

Quark star. One giant Hadron. Keep your distance

Sure, but based on what though?
    There is no evidence for example, for parallel universes.
    We can postulate the existence and even formuate formuals that COULD be evidence of same, IF they are correct.
    None of that means anything really, other than our amazing ability to conceive the inconceivable.

We can postulate the existence and even formuate formuals that COULD be evidence of same, IF they are correct.
    None of that means anything really, other than our amazing ability to conceive the inconceivable.
    Theories like that may be developed before anyone figures out what possible observable traces the theory (if true) would leave in the night sky. Sure. It's creative work.

Think of those theories as a kind of prototype workshop for science. The work done there might indirectly lead to other developments. Or someone may devise a way to experimentally test the theories.

My point is just that the physicists working on those things are way ahead of you and I when it comes to the kinds of questions you're asking. They know what they're on about.

I was just responding to the idea that comparing calculus and linear algebra to theoretical physics was a stretch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus_of_variations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%E...range_equation

The Standard Model is what we already know and can observe it doesn't have anything to do with parallel universes, membranes or any other exotic theories about space and time. . .yet.

An outlandish story of two of every trillions of types of animals on a big boat for over a month, with ZERO fatalities, and no traumatic change to the Earth's climate from a global flood, zombie messiahs, bushes aflame that speak to people, towers that supposedly were trying to reach heaven (it's funny now, because all they would do is reach a certain altitude and die from lack of oxygen, though engineering back then couldn't even come close to that) versus the discovery of Jupiter being largely gaseous, the earth revolving around the sun (not vice versa), mapping of the human DNA, friggin' laser beams, atom smashers, nuclear power, understanding cellular biology, atomic structure, molecular behaviors, nanotechnology, mapping out the periodic table of elements, biomolecular computing, particle swarm optimization, etc etc etc...

The two aren't comparable. At all.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

*Crawls out of wiki hole, hair disheveled and bleary eyed.

OK. So I'm not sure I was exactly correct about this. Something about Quantum Field Theory local gauge symmetry and Lagrangians will output differential equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    table of elements,
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

They left out...

The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

i cant see the image it just says 'hosted by'