Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Probably loss of blood. Femoral artery stops at the top of the knee, I think.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Teenagers

Sounds like this girl reacted well.
    Marin girl with martial arts training fights off robber
    By Gary Klien
    Marin Independent Journal
    Posted: 11/22/2011 07:58:43 AM PST
    Updated: 11/22/2011 07:58:44 AM PST

A 15-year-old Larkspur girl with martial arts experience reported that she fended off a robbery attempt on a bike path, police said Monday.

The girl, a tutor, said the incident occurred around 5 p.m. Friday when she was walking home on the bike path at Ward Street after a tutoring session, said Twin Cities police Sgt. Paul Barrolaza.

The girl reported that an attacker approached and punched her in the face, and she fought him off by punching him in the groin, Barrolaza said. Another robber appeared, and she fled.

The girl did not seek medical treatment or report the incident, but she told her boyfriend, who later left a note on a door of the school resource officer.

The first robber was described as white and 16 to 20 years old with very dark hair, a dark green hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans, police said. The other was described as white and 16 to 20 years old with "mousy" brown hair, a dark T-shirt and blue jeans.

Twin Cities police have received no reports of similar incidents, but are increasing patrols in the area. Anyone with information can call 927-5150.

Contact Gary Klien via email at gklien@marinij.com
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Go Ho!

Uploaded: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 4:51 PM
    Updated: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 7:15 AM
    Martial arts training allows pharmacist to fight off attacker
    Former employee charged with attempted murder
    by Glenn Wohltmann
    Pleasanton Weekly Staff

A Danville man is in custody on an attempted murder charge in a Nov. 5 attack on his former employer, according to a Pleasanton police who said the would-be victim' martial arts training saved him.

Benjamin Glover, 27, was arrested Nov. 22 in connection with the stabbing of Henry Ho.

Ho was attacked by Glover inside his store, Medicap Pharmacy, in the 1900 block of Santa Rita Road, police said. Ho, owner and pharmacist at Medicap, said that on the morning of Nov. 5, Glover entered the store wearing a hoodie over his head and a medical surgeon's mask on his face.

Glover approached the counter, asked Ho if he recognized him and removed his mask. Ho told police the behavior was suspicious but he was comfortable with Glover, who had worked for him for four years until he was fired a year ago.

Glover asked to speak with Ho who invited him back to the office of the pharmacy. After a five-minute conversation, Glover attacked Ho, without provocation or motive, by stabbing Ho in the neck with a knife or a similar small cutting instrument the release says.

Ho's quick reflexes and martial arts training enabled him to fend off the attack. After Ho deflected the first attack, Glover stood over him and attempted to stab him two more times, according to police, who said Glover the fled the pharmacy, leaving Ho with a five-inch incision in his neck.

After the investigation was completed, a warrant was sought for Glover and he was arrested at his home in Danville. Glover was booked at Santa Rita Jail where he is currently in custody.

The notification of this arrest was delayed due to the sensitive and complex nature of the investigation, police said. Anyone with information that may aid in the ongoing investigation is urged to contact the Pleasanton Police Department at 931-5100.
    Hope Ho is okay. His martial arts may have saved his life, but a 5" neck cut is pretty harsh.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

MMA vs mugger

Nice pic! Wish they had more info on the MMA fighter.
    Mugger picks wrong victim: MMA fighter
    SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE December 5, 2011 11:54AM
    Anthony Miranda / photo from Cook County Sheriff's office
    Updated: December 5, 2011 3:26PM

A would-be mugger on Chicago’s Southwest Side picked on the wrong person — a mixed-martial artist — and ended up with two black eyes and a gunshot wound to the ankle, the police say.

Police say 24-year-old Anthony Miranda walked up to a parked car near 55th and Kenneth around 11:30 p.m. Friday and asked the driver — whose identity was not released by police** — for a lighter.

When the driver said he didn’t have one, the police say Miranda pulled a handgun on the driver and demanded money. After getting some, he ordered the driver out of the car, Officer John Mirabelli said.

The mugging victim was able to get control of the gun, and the two wrestled, with Miranda accidentally firing his gun and shooting himself in the ankle during the fight, Mirabelli said.

The victim, who told police he’s a mixed-martial artist, held Miranda down until the police and found Miranda with a face full of cuts and two black eyes. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital for treatment.

Miranda, a convicted felon, was charged with armed robbery and aggravated discharge of a firearm and rdered held on $350,000 bail. Records show he has several convictions, including one for a residential burglary.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How about this

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I think that's brilliant that that's one of the very few examples of grappling NOT working on the internet. (:

A definite plus for neighbors of martial arts schools

Tuesday, March 20, 2012
    Fists of fury fighting crime on Polk Street
    By: Rob Nagle | 03/19/12 8:59 PM
    SF Examiner Staff Writer
    Joseph Schell/Special to The SF Examiner

Martial arts instructors Harold Anthony Short Soriano, left, and Robert Castro, right, have intervened to help neighbors in two recent attacks.

If you’re looking for a safe business environment, being neighbors with a martial arts academy might be a good option.

In the past two months, two separate attacks on workers at a shopping center at Polk and California streets were defused by a couple of heroic combat experts.

On March 9, a grocer was allegedly victimized by a chemical-spraying cretin who grabbed cash from the register and fled before he was arrested with the help of Harold Anthony Short Soriano, a teacher at the Eskabo Daan Filipino Martial Arts School, which is upstairs from the market.

A month earlier, the grand master of the school, Robert Castro, “defended the owner of a doughnut shop” during an attack, Soriano said.

Soriano, 41, an Alameda resident and CAD designer, teaches martial arts at the studio two days a week, he said.

The day of the robbery “was just another training day, a normal Friday,” Soriano said.

He was on his way to use the restroom on the first floor when he heard a woman scream from inside the grocery store. He asked the manager what was going on, and he said the cashier had been attacked and his store robbed.

“So I asked, ‘Which way did he go?’” Soriano said.

The suspect, later identified by police as 54-year-old transient John Ellis, was spotted nearby at Polk and Clay streets, Soriano said. He said he knew he had to chase after the guy, yet there was another pressing matter at hand.

“I still had to use the bathroom too,” Soriano said.

But that didn’t stop him.

Soriano said he repeatedly tried to “lock” Ellis down, but he kept coming back for more.

“He was reaching for anything,” Soriano said. “He actually tried to hit me with a Tanqueray bottle, but I got on top of him real quick. I think he was pretty high too. He was bleeding pretty bad, but he kept getting up.”

Soriano also was bloodied in the battle. After feigning surrender again, Ellis pulled out scissors and jabbed Soriano in the chest. He wasn’t seriously injured, but he also wasn’t happy.

“That’s when I said, ‘No more Mr. Nice Guy,’” Soriano said. “On top of that, I sprained my ankle.”

By the time police arrived, Soriano said, Ellis was spent.

For his troubles, the grocery store owner gave Soriano three crates of produce, which he shared with his class and children.

Merchants can thank their lucky ninja stars that a studio full of martial artists looms over the block.

“They should pay us for security,” Soriano joked.
    We caught a robber at our school once. He tried to steal the tip jar from the pizzeria next door. We ate there a lot and were friends with the manager, so when he shouted 'thief!' and we saw him running with the tip jar (which was a converted water jug) we intervened. It helped that we were all outside practicing our staff sparring. The perp ran right into the middle of about 8 or 10 of us, all holding eyebrow-height staffs. One of my kung fu brothers was a deputy sheriff and he got right in front of him as the rest of us circled around him. He had to give up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another good martial neighbor

Well played by Varner. He helped bust the perps and didn't even have to throw a blow.
    Martial arts expert captures two robbery suspects in Stoughton
    By Teresa A. Franco

Wicked Local Stoughton
    Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:00 AM
    Last update Mar 22, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

A Stoughton mixed martial artist said he came close to putting his skills to work when he encountered two men allegedly attempting to steal from a local business.

Mike Varner, owner of Maxx Training in Stoughton, said he caught two Weymouth men trying to steal metal from Mario’s Railing March 8 at 7:28 p.m..

Stoughton Police arrested Edward Chamberlain, 39, of 48 Pond St., Apt. 5, Weymouth, and Edward Bragg, 41, of 1228 Commercial St., Apt. #REAR, Weymouth and charged them both with larceny over $250, according to police reports.

Varner, who is friends with the owner of Mario’s Railing, Aldo Marginella, said he was driving by the business and noticed a suspicious vehicle parked outside the business. He said the men were sliding a giant I-beam in the back of their truck.

“My gut instinct told me something wasn’t right,” he said.

Varner said he asked the men if they knew Marginella.

“They put the beam down and I knew something was wrong,” he said.

Varner said the men obeyed his orders to stay put by the car after he told them he was an ultimate fighter and got into a fighting stance.

Varner said he attempted to take a picture of the license plate with his cell phone but the numbers didn’t come out because of the glare. Not wanting the men to flee, he said he told them he was going to call the owner of the store to get it straightened out, but instead called police. Moments later, three officers arrived, he said.

Varner said while he was conversing with the men, he was trying to think of ways to keep them there before police arrived.

“I know I couldn’t use force to detain them because they put the I-beam back,” he said. “I used more of my verbal skills and an aggressive stance to hope they’d stay there.”

Varner said he encourages residents to be on the look out for suspicious activity.

“We citizens have to keep an eye on our town,” he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"Varner said the men obeyed his orders to stay put by the car after he told them he was an ultimate fighter and got into a fighting stance."
    Does this work now? It didn't used to work.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We caught a robber at our school once. He tried to steal the tip jar from the pizzeria next door. We ate there a lot and were friends with the manager, so when he shouted 'thief!' and we saw him running with the tip jar (which was a converted water jug) we intervened. It helped that we were all outside practicing our staff sparring. The perp ran right into the middle of about 8 or 10 of us, all holding eyebrow-height staffs. One of my kung fu brothers was a deputy sheriff and he got right in front of him as the rest of us circled around him. He had to give up.
    What no free pizza?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I remember the time I beat up a redneck at Home depot that was accosting a lady.
    My friend was the manager there at the time and got the whole thing on the surveillance video ( that we watched after).
    There was a brief article on it that he saved to tease me about it.
    This was years ago and I wonder if he still has it?
    I was teased and called "Batman" for months.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

We were regulars there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    What no free pizza?
    They kicked us down extras and freebees all the time. We were good customers. They made good pizzas. It's all about being good neighbors. Heck, that tip jar the perp tried to nick was filled with our tips!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

slightly deceptive title

A mixed-martial-arts dojo probably doesn't teach kung fu, but we'll take it.

Gem heist foiled by kung fu cop
    April 07, 2012 12:01AM

A GANG of jewel thieves has made a mess of their escape after a daring broad-daylight robbery in New York.

The thieves crashed their getaway Jaguar and had to scatter on foot.

One of the bandits ran right into a mixed-martial-arts dojo and was tackled by an off-duty policeman. Two others were collared nearby, while a fourth member of the crew got away empty-handed.

The heist began around 11:30am local time on Thursday when the thugs, wearing gloves and covering their faces with their shirts, rushed into a Lower Manhattan diamond store, where they held more than a dozen jewelers at gunpoint as they stole about $US60,000 ($58,000) in diamond necklaces and bracelets.

The thieves sped off in a 2007 beige Jaguar X-type with no license plates but came to a halt when the vehicle crashed into a taxi.

One thief who was injured in the crash was taken into custody at the accident scene, while a second was busted as he tried to flee up a nearby fire escape. A third had the worst luck of all, trying to make his escape by running into New York Jujitsu, where an off-duty cop was in the middle of a training session.

"The guy ran straight for the bathroom [and] flushed something, and when he came out, the off-duty cop tackled him and started patting him down," 49-year-old instructor Eddie Hunt said.

Cops found the stolen loot and a gun stashed in the getaway car's battery compartment under the hood.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Real kung fu

There's vids if you follow either links.
    Kung Fu-Trained Queens Man Saves Woman from Groper
    Mike Novak chased the accused attacker away when he saw a woman being assaulted outside his home
    By Pei-Sze Cheng
    | Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 | Updated 10:51 AM EDT

A Queens man who heard a woman screaming outside his home early Sunday is being credited with saving her from being assaulted.

Mike Novak, 54, said he was jolted from sleep around 5:45 a.m. by the desperate cries of a woman in distress.

"My wife, who's a nurse, usually leaves that early," said Novak, who's also a father of a teenage daughter. "So I got scared because I thought something happened to her."

His wife was downstairs and had not left the home yet. When Novak ran out the front door, he saw a man on top of a woman in some bushes down the street.

According to police, the 30-year-old victim had been walking home from the 7 train station along 46th Street when the man attacked her from behind.

Police said he covered her mouth, groped her and hit her in the face. He may have gotten away with more, police said, if it weren't for Novak.

"She started screaming and he told her to be quiet," said Novak. "And good thing she didn't, because I heard her screaming."

"I came running out of the house, and he must have heard me and took off," said Novak.

Novak, who has practiced kung fu for 30 years, was ready to take her attacker down, if only he had not run away so quickly.

"I think I was doing what anybody should do," said Novak. "In my opinion, when you hear a woman scream, you need to come out and help her."

No arrests have been made. Police are continuing to investigate.
    Man saves woman being attacked in Queens
    Monday, April 09, 2012

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man in Queens came to the rescue of a woman being attacked outside his home.

He's trained in Kung Fu and when he heard a woman screaming for help, he says he did what he thinks anyone would do.

"This is a tight knit community and we all try to help each other," said Mike Novak, a Sunnyside resident.

Around 5:45 Sunday morning, he was sleeping in his home in Sunnyside, Queens and his bedroom window was open so he could clearly hear someone screaming.

"This was, 'Help me, help me, stop, stop, get away from me, stop help,' like that," Novak said.

It was pitch dark; Novak bolted outside and saw two people struggling in these bushes, a man on top of a woman.

Instead of calling 911, he ran to help.

"I'm not going to stand around and let a woman who's obviously in distress, continue to be in distress, it's not the way I was raised and that's not the kind of man I am, I'm going to do something about it," Novak said.

He did do something about it.

The second the attacker saw Novak he took off running but got away.

"I was in bare feet and he had on sneakers so that's a fight I can't win. (If you had, had on sneakers?) It might be a different story right now," Novak said.

And an even different story, if this 54-year-old had caught up with the man, you see he studies Praying Mantis Kung Fu, a close combat form of the martial art, and has been for more than three decades.

"You don't want to be flowering or show off, you just want to get the guy, take the guy out as quickly as possible. (Going for the eyes and throat?) Yes, yes," Novak said.

Word spread fast about what Novak did.

"When this happens to somebody in our neighborhood streets, we rally and grateful, I'm not surprised," said Bright Owens, a neighbor.

The woman does live here in the neighborhood; she was coming home from a family gathering when she was attacked.

Novak tells Eyewitness News, after he chase the suspect off, he then turned his attention back to the victim.

"She was disheveled and made sure I got her out of the bushes and brought her in the house, my wife is a nurse so we were able to comfort her until the cops showed up," Novak said.

This isn't the first time he's stepped in to help.

Years ago, he witnessed two chain snatchings, and in one he actually caught the bad guy.

"You're a good guy to have around," Eyewitness News said.

"I try," Novak said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not sure if it has been posted before

Gangster Loses Fight To Karate Kid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WgvUZglhb8I

The "karate kid" is using some sort of Shaolin style?