Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Successful Street Applications

score another for judo

CRIME
    International judo competitor uses martial arts to disarm suspect in Kansas City

BY ANNA SPOERRE
    OCTOBER 27, 2020 01:04 PM, UPDATED OCTOBER 27, 2020 02:01 PM

Do you know what to do if you accidentally dial 911? Do you know what information is crucial in an emergency? Here's what you need to know to get the police, fire or ambulance service you need fast. BY MARK HOFFER

A Kansas City man used his professional martial arts training to disarm a man attempting to rob him Monday night, police said.

Josh Henges, of Kansas City, was walking home Monday evening when he felt someone grab his shoulder and press a gun against his back, according to a news release from the Kansas City Police Department.

Henges used to be a member of the USA Judo team. He told police he was heading back from a convenience store around 8:15 p.m. in the 4100 block of Warwick Boulevard when a 20-year-old man came up behind him.

As Henges turned around, the young man held the gun up to Henges’ forehead and told him to hand over his possessions, according to the news release.

The judo competitor and Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor then grabbed the suspect’s shoulder and disarmed him.

“Henges said he was able to use his training to take the suspect to the ground and restrain him,” the release read.

He called 911 while holding the attempted robber down.

“He was in grabbing range of me,” Henges told police, according to the release. “You don’t have to hurt him. You just hold him in place, and there’s no permanent injury.”

Officers arriving at the scene found the young man pinned beneath Henges. The suspect was taken into custody.

Police later said the weapon was a BB gun. They are expecting charges to be filed soon, according to the Tuesday afternoon release.

“Henges said he has compassion for the suspect and hope he gets the help he needs,” the release read.
    threads
    Successful-Street-Applications
    Judo
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Score one for Muay Thai

Good Samaritan uses martial arts training to thwart attempted NYC kidnapping
    By Tamar Lapin November 16, 2020 | 11:03pm | Updated

A New Yorker put his martial arts skills to use and thwarted an attempted baby-snatching in a Big Apple park last week, pinning the perp down for 15 minutes until authorities arrived, he said Monday.

Brian Kemsley, a 33-year-old Muay Thai coach, stepped in when he saw a man trying to grab a baby inside a stroller from a woman who was also holding another child in her arms last Monday in Madison Square Park.

“I was trying to get him away from the mother, and let her get away to safety … But toward the end of it, I was also trying to keep the guy safe from the mob,” he told The Post.

The NYPD said it responded to the park that day around 3:35 p.m. for a report of an emotionally disturbed person, who was taken into custody and to Bellevue hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

The foiled kidnapping — first reported by PIX11 — was captured on cellphone footage showing Kemsley tackling the man to the ground and holding him there.

As he was holding him, Kemsley said, he realized that the man, who kept itching for a fight, was also unwell, at one point appearing to think he was speaking to President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.

PIX11
    Kemsley said that despite having trained in martial arts, including jiujitsu for a decade, he was “worried about passing out and losing my grip” by the end of the 15 minutes.

“Here’s the thing, I don’t enjoy jiujitsu, I don’t think training is particularly fun, but I have a lot of respect for it as it is absolutely essential in a street fight and self-defense,” he said in an Instagram post about the incident.

“I’d like to point out that when it comes to community security, that smashing someone should not be the priority,” he added in another post.

“We’re not suppose to show up with sticks and start beating people. The priority should always be to defuse the situation safely and as non violently as possible so we do not escalate the situation.”

After the ordeal, Kemsley said a bystander lent him a bottle of hand sanitizer that he “used in one shot.”

Then “everyone started clapping, everyone was grateful.”

“That was a very nice moment,” he recalled.
    There's a vid behind the link
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart