Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

score another for judo

CRIME
    International judo competitor uses martial arts to disarm suspect in Kansas City

BY ANNA SPOERRE
    OCTOBER 27, 2020 01:04 PM, UPDATED OCTOBER 27, 2020 02:01 PM

Do you know what to do if you accidentally dial 911? Do you know what information is crucial in an emergency? Here's what you need to know to get the police, fire or ambulance service you need fast. BY MARK HOFFER

A Kansas City man used his professional martial arts training to disarm a man attempting to rob him Monday night, police said.

Josh Henges, of Kansas City, was walking home Monday evening when he felt someone grab his shoulder and press a gun against his back, according to a news release from the Kansas City Police Department.

Henges used to be a member of the USA Judo team. He told police he was heading back from a convenience store around 8:15 p.m. in the 4100 block of Warwick Boulevard when a 20-year-old man came up behind him.

As Henges turned around, the young man held the gun up to Henges’ forehead and told him to hand over his possessions, according to the news release.

The judo competitor and Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor then grabbed the suspect’s shoulder and disarmed him.

“Henges said he was able to use his training to take the suspect to the ground and restrain him,” the release read.

He called 911 while holding the attempted robber down.

“He was in grabbing range of me,” Henges told police, according to the release. “You don’t have to hurt him. You just hold him in place, and there’s no permanent injury.”

Officers arriving at the scene found the young man pinned beneath Henges. The suspect was taken into custody.

Police later said the weapon was a BB gun. They are expecting charges to be filed soon, according to the Tuesday afternoon release.

“Henges said he has compassion for the suspect and hope he gets the help he needs,” the release read.
    threads
    Successful-Street-Applications
    Judo
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Score one for Muay Thai

Good Samaritan uses martial arts training to thwart attempted NYC kidnapping
    By Tamar Lapin November 16, 2020 | 11:03pm | Updated

A New Yorker put his martial arts skills to use and thwarted an attempted baby-snatching in a Big Apple park last week, pinning the perp down for 15 minutes until authorities arrived, he said Monday.

Brian Kemsley, a 33-year-old Muay Thai coach, stepped in when he saw a man trying to grab a baby inside a stroller from a woman who was also holding another child in her arms last Monday in Madison Square Park.

“I was trying to get him away from the mother, and let her get away to safety … But toward the end of it, I was also trying to keep the guy safe from the mob,” he told The Post.

The NYPD said it responded to the park that day around 3:35 p.m. for a report of an emotionally disturbed person, who was taken into custody and to Bellevue hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

The foiled kidnapping — first reported by PIX11 — was captured on cellphone footage showing Kemsley tackling the man to the ground and holding him there.

As he was holding him, Kemsley said, he realized that the man, who kept itching for a fight, was also unwell, at one point appearing to think he was speaking to President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.

PIX11
    Kemsley said that despite having trained in martial arts, including jiujitsu for a decade, he was “worried about passing out and losing my grip” by the end of the 15 minutes.

“Here’s the thing, I don’t enjoy jiujitsu, I don’t think training is particularly fun, but I have a lot of respect for it as it is absolutely essential in a street fight and self-defense,” he said in an Instagram post about the incident.

“I’d like to point out that when it comes to community security, that smashing someone should not be the priority,” he added in another post.

“We’re not suppose to show up with sticks and start beating people. The priority should always be to defuse the situation safely and as non violently as possible so we do not escalate the situation.”

After the ordeal, Kemsley said a bystander lent him a bottle of hand sanitizer that he “used in one shot.”

Then “everyone started clapping, everyone was grateful.”

“That was a very nice moment,” he recalled.
    There's a vid behind the link
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This could use more details...

... perhaps the will emerge with some later report.

Elderly Woman, 80, Uses Her Martial Arts Skills to Fend off Two 21-Year-Old Thieves
    BY REBECCA SPEARE-COLE ON 12/7/20 AT 10:18 AM EST

An 80-year-old woman fended off two 21-year-old thieves who were trying to raid her home in France by using her martial arts skills.

Two 21-year-old men appeared at the Béziers criminal court on Friday for assaulting and attempting to steal from her home in Agde in the southern region of Hérault on November 17, according to France Bleu.

It emerged that the men, both from Frontignan, had thought the woman was wealthy so planned to target her house but it was in fact a modest home on the Hérault river, the broadcaster said.

One of the men, a former legionnaire, was wearing a motorcycle helmet and was carrying a semi-automatic pistol, when he rang the doorbell. The gun has not been found, the court reportedly heard.

The woman, who is Belgian and has been described as a "master" in martial arts by French media, opened the door and was confronted by one of the two men.

Instead of retreating, she kicked him in the testicles before punching him several times, according to France Bleu.

As the man tried to contain her, she reportedly struggled as much as she could before screaming loudly to alert neighbours.

Three people came running to help and as they arrived to help, reports say the man attempted to grab the jewelry the elderly lady was wearing but to no avail.

The Bezier Criminal Court in southern France.
    GOOGLE MAPS
    He then fled, joining the other man who was reportedly waiting on a stolen motorcycle in front of the house. They drove off without having stolen anything.

The driver of the motorcycle, a former soldier, was arrested last week after the discovery of several of his fingerprints at the scene, France Blue said.

The other man who confronted the woman has been sentenced five times in the past, including spending three years in prison for aggravated theft before being released last April, the media outlet added.

He now reportedly faces up to 20 years in prison so asked for a trial postponement in court to prepare his defense. Both men have been remanded in custody as they await trial, reports say.

Meanwhile, the 80-year-old woman sustained wounds to her hands in the attack and has now been given 30 days of Incapacité Temporaire Totale de Travail (ITT), which means time off work due to her injuries.

Newsweek has contacted the local police in Adge for comment.
    Threads
    Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Want to know more about this...

I'm assuming it went well for the instructor since there was an arrest.

Sheriff’s report: Man arrested after drunkenly picking a fight with a martial arts instructor
    Summit County SUMMIT-COUNTY | 4h ago

The Summit County Sheriff's report
    Deputies arrested a 34-year-old Orem man after he appeared to try to drunkenly pick a fight with a martial arts instructor, according to a report from the Summit County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies responded on Wednesday to the scene in Pinebrook, where witnesses reported that the man was being aggressive with a martial arts instructor and appeared intoxicated, according to the report.

Deputies indicated the man assaulted the instructor and that he had a warrant out for his arrest. Deputies booked the man into the Summit County Jail.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bhavana Kashyap

Martial arts trained woman catches molester in Assam, hands him over to police
    A video of the woman, who is trained in martial arts, accosting the accused and forcing him to reveal his name has been widely circulated on social media.

Published: 31st July 2021 11:10 PM | Last Updated: 31st July 2021 11:10 PM | A+A A-
    By PTI
    GUWAHATI: A woman has drawn applause for her bravery and presence of mind as she caught a man who allegedly molested her on the pretext of asking direction for a place, and handed him over to the police in Guwahati.

The police on Saturday said that the incident took place in Rukmini Nagar locality under Dispur police station in the city and the accused was arrested.

A video of the woman, who is trained in martial arts, accosting the accused and forcing him to reveal his name and face before the camera has been widely circulated on social media since Friday evening.

She alleged that she was stopped by the accused, who was on a scooter, and asked her for directions of a place on Friday.

When the woman who is in her 20s said she was not aware of the location, he allegedly came further closer to the girl, pretending not to hear her, and suddenly touched her inappropriately.

"I was taken aback initially but after a brief moment, I reacted and caught hold of the back of his scooter as he tried to flee," she said.

She pushed the scooter into a drain on the side of the road and as a commotion was created, people gathered at the spot.

"I have received training in martial arts for self-defence. It helped me in this situation," she added.

The woman informed the police who reached the spot and took the accused into custody.

"The case will be brought to its logical conclusion & justice served. We are committed to the safety & security of our citizens," Guwahati police tweeted.
    Here is Bhavana Kashyap's original post (on facebook).

threads
    Indian-women-counter-rape-with-martial-arts-training
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for BJJ

The moment 16-year-old martial arts world champ FLOORS fully grown ear-biting brute in street
    The student says he had a chunk of his ear bitten off in the attack but managed to restrain the attacker

ByToni Guillot
    14:34, 16 SEP 2021UPDATED14:42, 16 SEP 2021

16-YEAR-OLD WORLD CHAMPION KICKBOXER TAKES OUT MAN WHO 'THREATENED TO STAB HIM'

A man bit off more than he could chew when he picked a fight with a Teesside Jiu Jitsu world champion.

Student Alex Williams was on his lunch break with a friend when he says an unknown man approached him on Guisborough High Street.

The grown yob became aggressive towards the 16-year-old, shouting: "I'm gunna smash your head in" and "I'm gunna stab you down the alley."

It was at that point the multiple junior world champion in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, jumped into defence mode.

Video footage shows the moment Alex delivered a signature double leg takedown which allowed him to restrain the fully grown man on the ground.

Speaking of the incident, Alex, from Redcar, told Teesside Live: "As he got closer to me I saw an opportunity to defend myself and fight back, so I took it.

"When the fight or flight kicks in you've got to choose one or the other and I chose to fight back and I was focused.

"Obviously I was worried in case he had a knife on him because he has threatened to stab me but in situations like that it's about surviving and I was thankfully ready for him."

The 30 second clip - which has since went viral - shows the man trying and failing, to attack Alex for a second time.

"I thought after I had taken him down the first time that he would have walked away but he came back for more so I just continued to try to restrain him without hitting him.

"I was in a seated position and the move just came to me naturally because I've drilled it a thousand times in training.

"My main aim was to de-escalate the situation safely."

Eventually the man walked away and Prior Pursglove College student Alex rang Cleveland Police.

"There was blood everywhere and I realised he had bitten a chunk out of my ear," added Alex, who is studying maths, accountancy and economics.

"I went to hospital to get it cleaned and I've got six stitches in it now."

(Image: eveninggazette)
    Alex who is trained in BJJ, MMA, mixed martial arts and wrestling at SBG South Shields says he hopes his experience encourages others to take up a combat sport.

He added: "I just saw the situation as a bit of a scuffle but now about 1.3m people have watched the video I can't believe it.

"It's surreal really - but I am glad it's raised awareness for other young people like me to hopefully inspire them to get into a combat sport or something where they can learn to defend themselves safely."

(Image: eveninggazette)

Alex Williams, 16, from Redcar, is multiple times BJJ Junior world champion (Image: eveninggazette)
    The clip was shared by professional fighter and coach Alex Enlund who praised Alex for his efforts.

He tweeted: "Alex shows composure, restraint and courage to handle this situation.

"Get your kid into Martial Arts & Combat Sports it’s unlikely they will become the bully due to the humility learned on mats."
    There's a vid.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for Kung Fu!

Chinese professor repels robber with kung fu
    chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2021-11-09 17:54

Pedestrians are seen walking along a street in San Francisco's Chinatown in California, United States, on May 6, 2021. [Photo/Xinhua]
    A Chinese professor in Los Angeles repelled an armed robbery attempt by using martial arts last week, Southern Metropolis Daily reported on Tuesday.

Zhou Pigai, a professor at the School of Public Administration of Xiangtan University in Central China's Hunan province, has found temporary residence after the incident with help from local overseas Chinese organizations, a representative from Zhou's university said on Monday.

"He is safe and his mood is relatively calm," the representative added.

The LA Police Department has already filed a case for investigation.

Zhou arrived in Los Angeles to participate in an academic visiting program at the University of Southern California on Oct 31.

The next day, while Zhou was looking for a place to stay in Chinatown, a neighborhood in downtown LA, a robber wearing a black mask got out of a truck parked near him and held him at gunpoint in an alleyway.

Zhou, with experience in martial arts, reflexively disarmed the robber, knocking both himself and the robber down with a kick.

After Zhou got up and retreated to a nearby road, the robber pursued him, holding him at gunpoint a second time while Zhou was checking his facial injuries with his phone.

Zhou handed over his luggage out of caution, but found the opportunity to strike again when the robber approached to take his backpack.

The robber, struck and disarmed a second time, turned and ran with Zhou's case toward the truck that had followed them out of the alleyway.

Not knowing whether the robber had armed accomplices inside the truck, Zhou decided not to attempt to catch the robber himself.

After receiving help from several good Samaritans at a nearby Chinese market, including a witness who noted the truck's license number, Zhou met with the community liaison officer for the LA Chinatown Business Improvement District, and together they filed a police report.

An investigative report from the LAPD revealed Zhou has lost an estimated $3,130 of personal belongings.

Later, Zhou re-enacted the incident and recorded it with the help of locals.

The footage, originally intended for police investigation and public safety education for the community, was later shared online and trended on social media.

Despite the popularity, Zhou said in interviews his actions should not be advocated due to the potential risk involved, adding his initial response was more of a reflex than a well-thought-out move.

However, he also said he did not panic at the time of the incident and one should not be too quick to compromise or back down, as it would encourage perpetrators in the area to commit the same crime repeatedly.
    Here's the re-enacting on Facebook: Zhou Pigai, a visiting professor from the Xiangtan University, recounted his recent experience of getting mugged in the Chinatown in Los Angeles, US. When held at gunpoint, Zhou's past martial arts training kicked in and he fought off the attacke
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nasty story

Florida jogger used martial arts to fight off attacker who wanted his body for 'fantasies'
    Logan Smith, 18, charged with attempted murder
    By Pilar Arias | Fox News

A Florida teenager is charged with attempted murder after deputies say he came up with a plan to kill a jogger and keep his body in a closet "to fulfill his sexual fantasies."

Logan Smith, 18, of Cocoa allegedly attacked the jogger Monday, but his plans were thwarted when the victim overpowered him using martial arts. Smith was reportedly detained until deputies arrived at the scene, according to an arrest report obtained by FOX 35 Orlando.

Logan Smith, 18, charged with attempted murder. (Brevard County Sheriff's Office)

Investigators said Smith had a rubber mallet, an aerosol can of Axe body spray, a belt from a robe and a sheet laid out in the driveway of his residence to assist in his plot.

"The defendant walked directly across his street where he hid behind a light pole. He placed the mallet and the Axe aerosol on the ground next to him while he waited for the [victim] to come running down the street as he did regularly for exercise," the arrest affidavit states.

AXE Deodorant Body Spray products (Gordon Chibroski/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images)

Smith then allegedly tossed the robe belt over the victim's head until it was around the front area of the victim's neck. The victim immediately realized what was happening, and used his martial arts training to turn the tables on his attacker.

Deputies say Smith admitted to watching the victim's routine for about six weeks and made the decision to kill him after watching a movie that showed violent, murderous acts.

Smith reportedly detailed he was going to kill the victim by strangulation, before dragging his body into his home on the bedsheet. He said the mallet was meant to strike the victim, and the aerosol would be sprayed at the victim's eyes, disabling his vision.

"He further planned to place the victim's body into his closet where the defendant stated no one would know, and the defendant could have the victim's body all to himself. The defendant stated that he also planned to play with the victim to fulfill his sexual fantasies," the arrest report said.

The victim told deputies he runs about four times a week and had never met, seen or spoken to Smith.

Smith is being held without bond at the Brevard County Jail, according to online booking records. He is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 10.

Pilar Arias is a multimedia journalist with more than 10 years of experience in broadcast, digital and print production. She covers a wide variety of topics.
    It's the Axe body spray part that gets me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Martial artist, social media sleuths, El Paso police help recover stolen truck

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

score another for jiu-jitsu

Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Uses Martial Arts Skills To Subdue Man Who Punched An Uptown 7-Eleven Employee
    In an incident shown partially on Facebook Live, Idriz Redzovic restrained and pinned a 30-year-old man to the floor while waiting for police to arrive at the store.

Alex V. Hernandez
    1:00 PM CDT on Jun 24, 2022

Idriz Redzovic has been studying martial arts for 20 years. He stopped a teenager from stealing from his car in 2019.

UPTOWN — A North Side jiu-jitsu instructor who went viral after stopping a teen from breaking into his car in 2019 made headlines again when he stopped someone attacking a convenience store employee last week, streaming the aftermath on Facebook Live.

Idriz Redzovic, a third-degree black belt who teaches jiu-jitsu, has been practicing the martial art for more than 20 years. He was taking two of his kids for Slurpees at 7-Eleven, 1532 W. Lawrence Ave., the night of June 23 when he overheard a woman complaining about a man harassing her outside the store, he said.

The 30-year-old man eventually argued with and punched a 19-year-old 7-Eleven employee, police and Redzovic said, leading the martial artist to restrain and pin the man to the ground.

Redzovic continued to hold the man down while while waiting for police, he said. As witnesses began recording the aftermath, Redzovic started his own livestream lasting nearly 20 minutes.

“I wanted to document what was going on, because I wanted to have my side of the story,” Redzovic said. “I put my phone down and I just went Facebook Live just to be covered and show that I never hurt the guy. I wanted documentation where if something did happen, I’m protected legally.”

Credit: Alex V. Hernandez/Block Club Chicago
    The 7-Eleven at 1532 W. Lawrence Ave.
    The video shows Redzovic repeatedly asking the man to calm down as he struggles and pleads to be let go. Redzovic continued to restrain the man, asked if he needs water, and helped direct customers trying to leave the store to the rear exit after employees locked the front doors, the video shows.

“Look I wasn’t going to bother you until I stood there and saw you punch him in the face,” Redzovic said in the video.

Officers arrive around 13 minutes into the footage and handcuff the man.

Towards the end of the stream, police can be overheard asking someone “Do you want him arrested?” and someone off-camera responds, “Yeah, hell yeah.” Redzovic also can be seen asking officers to give the man some water.

Police charged the man with misdemeanor battery and retail theft, saying he’d shoplifted food from the store before punching the worker. The 19-year-old employee who was attacked declined comment when reached by phone.

Despite appearing calm in the video, Redzovic said his adrenaline was up and he hasn’t been able to sleep well since the incident.

“I was nervous about keeping the video up but I talked to some lawyers and they said I was fine,” Redzovic said. “I also talked to some older friends of mine that I respect and they told me there’s so much benefit from that video because it shows how to stay calm and how I protected the guy in the video from even hurting himself.”

Redzovic said he neglected to turn off the stream while officers were questioning him, giving police his contact information while the camera was still running. This has led to him receiving messages of encouragement, along with threats and people challenging him to fights, he said.

“I forgot I was live. My adrenaline was rushing and I was trying to stay calm and collected,” Redzovic said. “If I could go back I’d have done a few things differently …These messages are exhausting. I’m a little nervous. My mom is scared right now.”

But if he was put in that situation again he wouldn’t hesitate to intervene because of his religion, he said.

“I’m Muslim and a saying we have is that if you see evil, intervene with your hand and stop it. If you can’t do it with your hand, speak up with your tongue,” Redzovic said.

A different employee working at the 7-Eleven Thursday said he appreciated Redzovic stepping in to assist his coworker.

“The situation could have always been worse and our man here didn’t want to escalate that,” the employee said. “Also having done that in general, not everyone when faced with that responsibility of defending someone, not everyone will. That man did a public service.”

Redzovic was in the news for similar reasons when he stopped an 18-year-old from rummaging through his unlocked car parked outside his Lincoln Square martial arts school in 2019.

In that instance Redzovic used his skills to detain the teen while he called police and the teen’s father. He previously told Block Club he declined to press charges because he felt the teen had made a dumb mistake and he didn’t want to make things worse for him.

Redzovic also wishes the man he pinned down last week reevaluates his life, he said.

“I just wish the best for him. I don’t mean him any harm. I want him to know that,” Redzovic said.
    Interesting strategy with fb live.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Not on the street... at home

Intruder breaks into historic Iowa home owned by martial arts master

Good training: An Iowa man's training in aikido was put to good use when his home was broken into earlier this month. (Rkatalan/iStock)

By Bob D'Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
    July 17, 2022 at 8:59 am EDT
    NEWTON, Iowa — This did not end well for a man breaking into a historic Iowa home.

The man confronted the homeowner, who was a veteran of the French army and a black belt in martial arts, and was quickly subdued, KCCI-TV reported.

Joseph Keith Mahl, 35, was arrested July 9 and charged with first-degree burglary, public intoxication and assault with intent to injure a law officer, according to Jasper County Sheriff’s Office online booking records.

Before that, he encountered Philippe Couillez, who has a black belt in aikido, the Newton Daily News reported. Couillez said he knocked Mahl down hard, but not enough to be severely injured -- just hard enough to subdue the alleged intruder until police arrived.

Philippe Couillez and his wife have lived in what is known as the August H. Bergman House in Newton since they bought it in 2019. The house, built in 1909, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1989.

Megan Couillez was working in Des Moines in her job as a nurse on July 9 when she was notified of a break-in by her home security cameras, which were connected to her smartphone, the Daily News reported.

Philippe Couillez was in bed watching television at about 2 a.m. CDT when he heard a noise downstairs, according to the newspaper. His 5-year-old daughter was asleep and at first, he thought the family cat had knocked over a chair, which the feline had done the night before.

“And then I heard talking and I was saying, ‘My cat doesn’t talk,’” Philippe Couillez told KCCI.

Surveillance footage showed the intruder pushing his way through the front door and then closing it as if he lived there, according to the television station.

Philippe Couillez said he told the man, “What are you doing? Who are you? Get out of my house!”

“He started to yell at me saying, ‘Where is she? What are you doing in my house?” Philippe Couillez told KCCI, adding that he believed the intruder was intoxicated.

As Couillez called 911, he said the man continued yelling and attempted to punch him, according to the television station. He pushed the man down the stairs, but when the intruder got up and grabbed Couillez’s leg, the homeowner’s martial arts training kicked in.

“I punched him in the shoulder so he can let his grip go, pulled my knee up, and pushed him back down there,” Couillez told KCCI.

Police arrived and arrested Mahl. If convicted of the charges, he could face up to 25 years in prison for the burglary charge, the Daily News reported. His bail was set at $20,000.

Newton Police Chief Rob Burdess told the newspaper that it is rare to have a residential burglary occur in the town when the home is occupied. Most of the burglaries in Newton involve garages, vehicles or businesses, according to the newspaper.

“Homeowners have the right to protect life and property under Iowa Code Chapter 704,” Burdess told the Daily News. “The homeowners took appropriate actions to protect themselves and were able to subdue the suspect. We are fortunate that no one was seriously injured in this incident.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for BJJ

Video Shows Martial Arts Expert Take Down Man Wanted for Attacks on NYC Sidewalks
    Ro Malabanan said he was heading to work Wednesday when he saw a man sucker-punch a construction worker in SoHo before running away
    By Adam Harding • Published July 30, 2022 • Updated on July 30, 2022 at 2:40 pm

A man accused of punching people at random was taken down by a good samaritan – who just happened to be a Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt. Adam Harding reports.

It was a case of wrong place at the wrong time for an assault suspect accused of punching two people, including a teenager, seemingly at random on a Manhattan street.

That's because a passerby — who just happens be a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt — chased him down and helped bring him to justice.

Ro Malabanan was heading to work Wednesday when he saw the suspect sucker-punch a construction worker in SoHo before running away. In an exclusive interview with NBC New York, Malabanan said he was worried the suspect would attack someone else — so he decided to intervene.

"I walked up to the guy that (was) hit, to check to see if he was OK. He said he wasn’t okay ... Immediately, my martial arts side kicks in and I'm like, let’s go stop this guy," Malabanan recalled. "Who knows what he’s capable of... My jiu-jitsu training kicked in, and I immediately just jumped on his back, he tried to fling me off of him. I had what's called the seatbelt position, which helped me to drag him down to the ground."

After pinning him to the ground, the martial arts expert stayed on top of the suspect until police arrived. Malabanan's good Samaritan deeds were captured on video, which quickly went viral online.

Malabanan was born in the Philippines but grew up in New York. He teaches boxing, he studies jiu-jitsu — he knows how to defend himself. Now he's just thankful his training “kicked in” at the right time.

"I don’t think I'm a hero, just doing my part for New York ... We New Yorkers are willing to help strangers out because that’s what New York is all about," Malabanan said. "I'm just really grateful I was able to stop someone and put my martial arts to use. Being able to help people, to do it in the real world, is incredible."

And in true New York fashion, Malabanan says right after the cops arrived, he didn't want to wait around — because he was late for work.

"Typical New Yorker,” he said with a laugh.
    Follow the link for the vid.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for Judo

Attacker completely floored after stupidly picking on world martial arts champ
    Shola Lee

Published 20:46, 13 September 2022 at BST
    | Last updated 20:46, 13 September 2022 at BST

Featured Image Credit: NCJ Media

An attacker got more than he bargained for after the lad he targeted turned out to be a mixed martial arts fighter.

Check out the video here:

Footage shows the moment Stuart Briggs began fighting with teenager Alex Williams in Guisborough High Street.

Little did Briggs know he'd pitted himself against a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu champion.

The incident took place on September 14, 2021, with a clip from the incident showing Briggs approaching the young lad, who was 16 years old at the time.

As the fight unfolds, Williams stops his attacker by pinning him down to the ground using a double leg takedown.

Briggs leaves the scene and comes back again, but Williams is able to subdue him a second time, with the attacker eventually leaving the scene.

Speaking to Teesside Live of the attack, Williams said: "As he got closer to me, I saw an opportunity to defend myself and fight back, so I took it.

Williams is a fighting champion. Credit: Teesside Live/NCJ Media
    "When the fight or flight kicks in you've got to choose one or the other, and I chose to fight back, and I was focused.

"Obviously, I was worried in case he had a knife on him because he has threatened to stab me, but in situations like that it's about surviving, and I was thankfully ready for him."

Williams went on to explain that he was forced to restrain Briggs multiple times: "I thought after I had taken him down the first time that he would have walked away, but he came back for more, so I just continued to try to restrain him without hitting him.

"I was in a seated position, and the move just came to me naturally because I've drilled it a thousand times in training. My main aim was to de-escalate the situation safely.

Thankfully, Williams was able to subdue the attacker. Credit: Teesside Live/NCJ Media
    While Williams was, thankfully, able to de-escalate the situation, he still sustained some injuries, adding: "There was blood everywhere, and I realised he had bitten a chunk out of my ear."

Williams had to get six stitches in hospital following the incident last year.

Briggs appeared on Friday at Teesside Magistrates' Court, where he pled guilting to GBH without intent.

He is expected to be sentenced next month at Teesside Crown Court.

Williams has gone on to start an anti-bullying gym for children, teaming up with fellow martial arts champion Serenity Scott.

And, by the looks of the video, we'd guess a fair few people are already signing up.
    Follow the link for vid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Black bear v black belt: Japanese climber uses martial art skills to fight off beast while clinging on to rockface
    Terrifying interaction happened earlier this month on Mount Futago, Japan
    Footage shows animal charging at him while he clung onto a rockface
    Appeared that the bear lunged at him because she was defending her cub
    Man says that he thinks his life was saved by his martial arts skills
    By OLIVIA DEVEREUX-EVANS FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 12:24 EDT, 18 October 2022 | UPDATED: 13:17 EDT, 18 October 2022

This is the terrifying moment a climber was forced to use his martial arts skills to fight off an enraged bear in Japan.

The climber could be heard screaming as the black bear lunged at him repeatedly on a rock face on Japan's Mount Futago earlier this month.

Fearing for his life, the man lashed out at the snarling beast, using his fists and feet to strike it until it gave up and ran away.

The unnamed climber believes the mother bear was defending her cub and that he had invaded her territory.

Japanese climber uses martial arts to fight off black bear

The terrifying interaction happened earlier this month on Mount Futago in Japan. Footage shows the animal charging at him while he was clinging onto a rockface

The bear lunged at him as she was defending her cub and even though he punched, kicked and screamed and fought it off, it came back

The footage ends with the bear going to a bush with her cub while the climber, terrified, checks that it is not going to return.

But he said he used his karate and mixed martial arts training as he had to defend himself.

He said that this was likely to have saved his life.

He then did the same thing, fighting it off until it seemed to give up and run away

The footage ends with the bear going to a bush with her cub while the climber, terrified, checks that it is not going to return

It comes after a bear injured four people in the Japanese city of Sapporo last June.

Dramatic footage showed the bear bounding down busy streets before it darted across a main road and started clawing at the gates of the barracks where it knocked a soldier to the ground as other troops fled in terror.

Schools were shut and flights were cancelled at the regional airport as a team of hunters were deployed alongside police to track the animal down.

City officials later tweeted that the beast had been 'exterminated' - shot by the hunters.

One soldier was injured in the bear's rampage in the city, which hosted the Olympic marathon and race-walking events last August.

Another victim was mauled by the bear after it attacked him from behind, TV footage showed. The person was taken away on a stretcher.

Earlier, government spokesman Katsunobu Kato told people in the Hokkaido region to be on alert.

'A total of four people, including one Self-Defense Forces member, have been attacked and injured by the brown bear. We express our sincere sympathy to them,' he said.

'Officials from Sapporo City, the Hokkaido police, a local hunting association and other concerned agencies have arrived at the scene. They are coordinating efforts to capture the brown bear, or if deemed necessary, exterminate it.'

Bear shot after injuring 4 in suburban Sapporo, Japan

One of the victims was in their 40s, one in their 70s and another in their 80s, according to NHK, which did not give details of the fourth.

Asian black bears are native to large parts of Japan, including the country's main island, while brown bears roam Hokkaido further north.

The Japan Bear and Forest Society has warned that forest-dwelling bears are being spotted in greater numbers in areas inhabited by humans as they search for food.
    Follow the link for video and more pix
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kangaroo fu

Wild Video Shows Moment Martial Arts Coach Saves His Dog From Being Drowned by a Jacked Kangaroo
    Declan Gallagher
    Mon, October 16, 2023, 7:53 AM PDT·2 min read

DEA / P. JACCOD/Getty Images
    A martial arts coach in Australia caught on camera the wild moment he rescued his dog from a muscular kangaroo, as the beast tried to drown his canine in a river.

The harrowing footage shows the unidentified coach, who works for Mildura Martial Arts in New South Wales (NSW), approaching a remarkably jacked kangaroo as it holds the coach's beloved dog, its snout just above the water.

“I’m gonna punch your ****in’ head in,” the martial artist warns the kangaroo. “Let go of my dog!”

The videographer then lunges for the kangaroo, at which point the beast swipes at the man with his curved talons. The camera then goes under the water. When it comes back above the surface, the dog has escaped, and the kangaroo stands on its own in the middle of the water on its hind legs, looking a bit like a half-man half-kangaroo hybrid ready for a brawl.

The frame swivels to show the dog has safely made it to the other side of the river, far away from the ‘roo, as a second identical dog looks on in relief.

Just before the man flees back to land with his pups, he gives the kangaroo an extra splash of water for good measure.

The video has sent social media users into a frenzy, with many saying they never before considered a kangaroo might try to drown them.

“Kangaroo drowning fear unlocked,” one commenter said.

“Kangaroos are known for holding people/animals down in the water. They’re strong af!” wrote another user.

“Maybe the most terrifying wildlife video I’ve seen,” opined another.

Much like a recent wildlife clip showing a shark sneaking up on a crocodile as it ate a turtle, viewers say this new video is one of the most Australian things they’ve ever seen.

Though less than five people report kangaroo-related injuries each year in NSW, the animals still pose a significant threat to humans and animals alike. They are known to “vigorously defend themselves against dogs,” according to the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage. If you feel threatened by a boomer you should never approach it directly or throw your arms out at it. It’s also not advisable to stand up tall or stare at them if they’re in a violent state.

That roo is buff.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips