Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

hmmm....on his way to morning excercises. yeah, I'd say he's a master
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

martial arts DJ!

If only he tossed vinyl like shuriken. Records flying, versus bricks, I can see it all in some crazy kung fu flick.
    Martial arts DJ tackles pub raiders
    Published on Tuesday 10 May 2011 09:14

A radio DJ used his martial arts skills to thwart an attack on a pub and carry out a citizen's arrest.

Breakfast show presenter Wayne Allen, a 36-year-old karate black belt, was drinking with friends at the Dr Syntax pub in Prudhoe, Northumberland, when a masked man threw bricks and cement blocks through its windows.

Mr Allen, who works for Teesside's TFM, ran out and tackled a man in a balaclava who was armed with more bricks, knocking him to the floor and kneeling on him even though his two accomplices in a Subaru Impreza came close to running him over.

Police were quickly on the scene on Friday night and took a man in for questioning.

The force praised the DJ's bravery, but urged others not to take the risk.

Afterwards, Mr Allen told the Sunday Sun newspaper: "My karate licence says 'protect your family, friends and uphold the law' and that's exactly what I did.

"And I'd do it again if I had to. I don't advocate violence but women were screaming and I truly believed the pub was about to get robbed."

The father-of-two, who used to work in Tyneside for Metro Radio, recalled he used a leg sweep to knock the man down, put him in an arm lock, then knelt on his elbows.

The Subaru driver then made to reverse over Mr Allen's legs, but screeched away at speed instead.

A 33-year-old local man will appear before magistrates on Monday charged with criminal damage.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What's a "karate license?"
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    What's a "karate license?"

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

What? No kung fu license frames?

I used to live in a house that had one of those old sliding glass doors you could just lift up and open. Do they still make those?
    Aurora Woman Fights Off Violent Home Intruder
    Attacker Got In Home By Lifting Locked Sliding Glass Door Off Its Track
    Alan Gathright, 7NEWS Content Producer
    POSTED: 9:41 am MDT July 14, 2011
    UPDATED: 10:07 am MDT July 14, 2011

AURORA, Colo. -- A woman with martial arts training fought off an intruder who broke into her home by lifting a locked sliding door off its track.

Aurora police are now asking for the public's help in identifying the man who violently attacked the woman on July 1 and attempted to sexually assault her.

"The victim, who has had some martial arts and self-defense training, bravely fought off her attacker. Her efforts caused the man to flee," Aurora police spokesman Detective Bob Friel said in a Thursday new release.

Police and Crime Stoppers are offering a combined reward of up to $7,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the attacker.

The crime happened just after 4 a.m. on July 1, when a man entered the woman's home in an area between Yosemite and Dayton streets and Montview Boulevard and East Colfax Avenue, Friel said.

The man entered the home by lifting a locked sliding glass door off its track, he said. The door's safety bar had not been used, allowing the man to circumvent the door lock, he said.

Police released a computer sketch of the attacker. He is described as a black man in his 30s, who stands about 5 feet 7 to 5 feet 9 inches tall, with a thin build and braided hair. The victim said the man had one braid that stuck out from the side of his head.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Detective Lana Maddox at 303-739-6136 or Aurora police dispatch at 303-627-3100. Those who want to stay anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867, or they can text a tip to 274637 (CRIMES), then use the title DMCS and enter a message.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Woman Fights Off Violent Home Intruder

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured someone would find it interesting.
    Here's the link.

AURORA, Colo. -- A woman with martial arts training fought off an intruder who broke into her home by lifting a locked sliding door off its track.

Aurora police are now asking for the public's help in identifying the man who violently attacked the woman on July 1 and attempted to sexually assault her.

"The victim, who has had some martial arts and self-defense training, bravely fought off her attacker. Her efforts caused the man to flee," Aurora police spokesman Detective Bob Friel said in a Thursday new release.

Police and Crime Stoppers are offering a combined reward of up to $7,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the attacker.

The crime happened just after 4 a.m. on July 1, when a man entered the woman's home in an area between Yosemite and Dayton streets and Montview Boulevard and East Colfax Avenue, Friel said.

The man entered the home by lifting a locked sliding glass door off its track, he said. The door's safety bar had not been used, allowing the man to circumvent the door lock, he said.

Police released a computer sketch of the attacker. He is described as a black man in his 30s, who stands about 5 feet 7 to 5 feet 9 inches tall, with a thin build and braided hair. The victim said the man had one braid that stuck out from the side of his head.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Detective Lana Maddox at 303-739-6136 or Aurora police dispatch at 303-627-3100. Those who want to stay anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867, or they can text a tip to 274637 (CRIMES), then use the title DMCS and enter a message
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Figures. I did a search to see if he had and started giggling evilly when I didn't find it. I should have know Gene's post-fu would be better than mine...
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

... But I bet he missed this one!

China Agrees To Erase Portion Of U.S. Debt If Americans Dress Up In Costumes And Perform Silly Dance For Them
    BEIJING—In what it's describing as a magnanimous gesture toward an economy in decline, the Chinese government announced Monday it would forgive a portion of the staggering U.S. debt if Americans agreed to dress up in costumes and perform silly dances for their amusement.
    With his nation holding $1.16 trillion in federal bonds and the U.S. showing no signs of ending its dependence on foreign credit, President Hu Jintao told reporters that allowing Americans to ease their fiscal burden in proportion to the number and quality of colorful dance numbers they perform is a mutually beneficial arrangement for both countries.
    "Our great nation has generously agreed to decrease the considerable financial obligations of the United States," said Hu, standing before an enormous rack containing elaborate dance attire such as sequined vests and metallic lamé pants. "All we ask in return is that Americans put on outfits such as these and amuse us with buffoonish little kicks and twirls, preferably while slapping their big fat tummies. The U.S. will receive much needed debt relief, and China will enjoy watching the graceless flailing of decadent capitalists."
    Addressing Americans directly, Hu continued: "In the seconds it will take you to object, your nation will slip hundreds of thousands of dollars further into our debt. That will mean 50 more of your countrymen having to put on a George Washington costume with a skirt and prance around with big smiles and heavily rouged cheeks while we pelt them with bits of your worthless currency from the windows of the Chinese embassy."

Wendi Deng aka Mrs. Murdoch

I know, I know, this isn't real authentic kung fu, but when kung fu gets mentioned in an international scandal like Murdoch's, it's worthy of note here, even if it's a borderline racist satire.
    By Quentin Letts
    Last updated at 2:09 PM on 20th July 2011

Pied him! A great British tradition of custard pie hurling was maintained when old man Murdoch nearly took one in the hooter near the end of his long interrogation by MPs.

Some parts of the world will regard this with stern disapproval but must we be entirely po-faced? A billionaire media mogul, most powerful fella in the world, appeared in the public assembly of our ancient, satirical isles and found himself under attack by – a creamy plate full.

Worse things happen at sea.

His assailant, a scruffy chap in lumberjack shirt, had not reckoned with Wendi Deng, the third Mrs Murdoch.

She was sitting behind her husband throughout the hearing, maintaining the elegant poise of a Cathay Pacific stewardess. From side to side did she lean her long hair, lean-necked, devotion in fuchsia. Then, in the last dibs, cometh the pieman.

With reactions which would not have disgraced the Chinese secret service, Mrs Murdoch flew to her husband’s defence. Kung fu! Hnawww! She leapt into action, right claw coming down hard in the direction of Matey in the lumberjack shirt.

TV footage afterwards showed the bloke nursing his head, spattered by his own pie. He was lucky not to have been karate-chopped in two.

‘Oh no!’ cried a female MP who had been speaking at the time. ‘Outrage!’ shouted another. The room was cleared, sitting suspended. The slapstick attack certainly distracted attention from what had been a drawn-out – and yet still memorable – hearing of the Culture Select Committee.

Mr Murdoch appeared alongside one of his sons, James. Last time I saw James was at 10 Downing Street on Tony Blair’s last day as Prime Minister. Murdoch fils had a tight-zipped hairdo, calcium-rich fingernails, tanned hands and an executive manner. He spoke in a hybrid accent camp with Californian uplift. It was a cross between Kermit the frog and the Radio 2 disc jockey Paul Gambaccini.

The younger Murdoch tried to protect his father and led the case for the defence. Rupert touched the lad’s left arm and said: ‘This is the most humble day of my life.’

With that he leaned back, tortoise eyes closing together behind his faintly smudged spectacles. He swallowed, lizardish, sitting at a slight angle, as though not entirely part of this awkward occasion.

At the start of the meeting Murdoch pere did not seem entirely with it. He had difficulty understanding some of the MPs’ questions, in the case of Jim Sheridan (Paisley & Renfrewshire N) because he was having trouble picking up a thick Scots accent. Mr Sheridan gave up, saying: ‘It doesn’t matter.’

The two MPs most successful at extracting material from the octogenarian were Tom Watson (Lab, West Brom E) and Damian Collins (Con, Folkestone & Hythe). Mr Watson was exquisitely polite but firm. His questions accentuated an impression that Rupert was doddery. Mr Collins got Rupert on to some personal stuff about his father, to a point he was almost maudlin. We also learned how amazingly close Mr Murdoch had been to Gordon Brown. ‘Our children played together. I felt he had great values,’ said Mr Murdoch about Labour’s Mr Brown.

James Murdoch really did seem very American. Clever tactic, perhaps. He was extravagantly well-washed in that business-school, yuppie way. He kept finding different ways of saying that he did not know the full details of what the MPs were asking him. ‘I have no knowledge of that,’ he said. ‘I cannot answer the specifics of that question.’

Other phrases included ‘not to my knowledge’ and ‘I cannot speak to other individuals’ knowledge’. He spoke about ‘The Company’ repeatedly. His father spoke of its ‘Divisions’, like a five-star general.

James Murdoch also said ‘proactively’, ‘the financial quantum’ and ‘the quantum of danger’, which could be the title of a **** Francis thriller.

When he meant ‘denial’ he said ‘pushback’. At which point the pieman threw himself into the mix and black belt Deng showed us an altogether more exciting, visceral ‘pushback’. Ouch.
    Click for vid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What this thread is all about

This is a great story.
    12 year old girl credits martial arts for possibly saving her life
    Updated: 1:16 am | Published: 12:22 am
    Reported by: Annie Cutler

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A walk home for a 12 year old Salt Lake girl turned scary when she became the target of an attempted kidnapping. She’s crediting her martial arts class for possibly saving her life.

While choking back tears, Michelle Adams says, “Out of nowhere this van pops out, then he tries to grab my hand and pull me in the van, but then I kicked him and started running back to my friend’s house.”

Adams credits her martial arts training. She says, “I remember this move that my karate teacher showed me in third grade. You twist your hand around, it hurts their hand and they let go.”

We shared Adams’ story with Brian Corrales, a martial arts teacher. He says self defense and awareness are key lessons in his class, “It’s just your gut instinct and I tell the kids that when you have an icky feeling inside, that’s something of you saying to respond and you need to get out of that situation.”

His classes are filled with girls too small to fight an attacker, but his goal is to arm them with tools to buy them time, seconds that could mean life or death. Corrales says, “The idea is to teach them one technique. You get one chance. Stun your opponent and then the child screams, yells, and they’re told to find the nearest adult.”

These lessons were what came to mind as Adams fought off her attacker. He is described as a Polynesian man with short hair and facial hair, last seen wearing a blue t-shirt, black shorts, and gray and white shoes. He was driving what Adams describes as a dirty white van.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    ... But I bet he missed this one!
    Aren't Americans already doing this? Wushu, right?

Good for Marinoble!

I don't agree with his method, but in the end, he busted the perp.
    10/13/11
    Case dismissed for martial arts business owner accused of impersonating police
    By Toby Lewis, The Press Tribune

All charges against a Roseville business owner who was accused of battery and falsely impersonating a police officer were dismissed Thursday.

The charges stemmed from 2009 when Dave Marinoble, owner of Marinoble’s Martial Arts Center in Roseville, performed a citizen’s arrest of an employee he suspected of stealing money.

Marinoble and another instructor, Justin T. Ewen, entered a Taco Bell on Foothills Boulevard on Dec. 17, 2009 and confronted Riley Lockett, who was captured on surveillance video stealing money from the office of the martial arts gym.

A criminal complaint filed by the Placer County District Attorney’s Office alleged that the two men falsely represented themselves as law enforcement officers when they placed Lockett under citizen’s arrest and detained him.

The complaint also alleged that Marinoble and Ewen committed battery by unlawfully using force and violence on Lockett.

Witnesses told Roseville police officers that Marinoble approached Lockett, who was 17 years old at the time, from behind and placed him in a chokehold before taking him down and restraining him with handcuffs, according to previous reports.

After a five-day jury trial that concluded last month, Marinoble was found to be not guilty on counts of kidnapping and false impersonation of a police officer.

The charge of battery against Marinoble, however, resulted in a hung jury, which continued the case.

Ewen was found to be not guilty on all counts during the trial.

Prosecutor Tracy Lunardi submitted to the Placer County court Thursday that if the case were to go to another jury trial, it would likely return with another hung jury.

After that, the case was dismissed.

“I activated my rights when a felony was committed against me,” Marinoble said Thursday. “I did, apparently, act within my rights in accordance with the law and it took almost two years for the courts to figure that out.”

Marinoble said his business was adversely affected as a result of the charges and he has been trying to rebuild it over the last year and a half.

“The citizen’s arrest that I performed was upheld,” he said.

Marinoble said Lockett stole thousands of dollars over about a one year period and Lockett has since paid him back in restitution.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

street application of a gun? does that count?

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A convenience store manager grabbed a gun from under the counter and shot a robber in the knee when the man scooped up the clerk's infant daughter, deputies and family members said Wednesday.

The robber tried to get into the cash register Tuesday afternoon at Del's 24-Hour Food Store in Naples but he couldn't open it. He grabbed a stroller with Elizabeth Easterly's 1-year-old in it and headed for the door, according to a sheriff's report and family members. Easterly shot the man and he died at a hospital.

"She's pretty much in shock, but she saved the baby," said Easterly's grandmother, Nancy Ackerman. "He was taking the baby outside, and she went over the top of the counter. I don't know how she did that because it's real high."

Easterly, 22, and her husband run the store for her grandfather, Del Ackerman. She was alone briefly during a shift change with her daughters, ages 1 and 2, when the man came in at about 3 p.m.

Ackerman, 75, said his granddaughter told him the man acted erratically and demanded money. As he fled the store, he tried to grab the baby, but couldn't get her loose from the stroller straps. When he began carrying it out, Easterly, as she had learned in a training course, shot the man once in his knee.

The robber, identified Wednesday as 32-year-old Daniel Ramont Hernandez, was tackled outside by a man coming to work at the store and held down until deputies arrived.

Police said the shooting was under investigation.

"I'm so thankful God saved my granddaughter and my grandbabies, because this guy was really vicious," Ackerman said.

Easterly and her children were not hurt, but the young woman was shaken up, her grandfather said. Calls to her cellphone rang unanswered Wednesday.

Ackerman said his family has run the store continuously for 47 years. It was closed while deputies processed the crime scene, but reopened at about 2 a.m. Wednesday.

"I'm not going to let one person in the United States close my doors," he said.

Naples is about 170 miles south of Tampa.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Did i miss something? He got shot in the knee and died at the hospital? Good thing the kids weren't hurt.