Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Surprise

Took me a bit until I got that Surprise was the location.
    Surprise man uses martial arts on intruder
    Father of 3 fights back vs. stranger with gun in home
    by D.S. Woodfill - May. 5, 2012 08:51 PM
    The Republic | azcentral.com

David Jennings slowly emerged from a deep sleep, sensing that someone was standing by his bed.

In the dark room, the blue glow of the television illuminated a man's silhouette. The stranger was pointing a gun at Jennings' head.

"Don't move," the stranger said.

Crime victims often have just moments to react, as they decide how best to keep alive and protect loved ones. With his three children sleeping down the hall and his wife lying next to him, Jennings had a second to decide.

He moved.

2:50 A.M.

Jennings would later say it was almost as if he weren't directing his own actions.

Protect the family.

Jennings, who was lying on his stomach, reached around behind his back with his left arm and grabbed the intruder's hand that was holding the gun -- the same gun Jennings kept by his bed for protection, a Bersa .380 semiautomatic.

Jennings used his free hand to push himself off his bed and swung his left leg off the edge. Turning toward the intruder, Jennings lunged. He slammed his shoulder into the man's midsection, and with his arms wrapped around the stranger's torso, lifted him off the ground to take him off balance. With the stranger digging his fingernails into Jennings' back, the two crashed to the floor, about six feet from the foot of the bed.

Sitting on the stranger's torso, Jennings wrapped his leg around him to constrict his breathing.

"I was smashing his head into the ground, trying to keep him disoriented," Jennings said.

He shouted for his wife to call 911. Jennifer Jennings grabbed the phone and dialed but couldn't remember her own address. She composed herself enough to spit the words out and then ran from the room, jumping over the two men who were blocking the door. She took the children downstairs to the family room.

The intruder stopped struggling when the two hit the ground.

That's when he said something totally unexpected.

"He was just saying, 'I'm sorry. I'm sorry,' as he lay on his stomach," Jennings said. "He wasn't doing anything else. He was just laying there, his arms out to the side."

The gun was a few feet away, dropped during the struggle.

Jennifer unlocked the front door for the police.

Upstairs, she told them.

As two Surprise police officers charged into the room, guns drawn, they grabbed the aggressor, the one who had a man pinned to the bedroom floor on his stomach.

Jennifer, just behind them, saw the mistake.

"Wait, that's my husband."

They handcuffed the intruder and took him away.

David Jennings' hands shook for five hours.
    Reaction

Whether Jennings reacted to the situation appropriately depends on who's doing the talking.

Surprise police Sgt. Bert Anzini praised Jennings for his quick action but stopped short of saying that everyone in that situation should react in the same way.

"It's the person -- the victim who's in this situation -- that has to make that choice of whether they're going to submit to the demands of the criminal and hope that there's no type of violence," Anzini said.

Michael Foley, who teaches self-defense, said victims in a similar situation as Jennings should definitely take action. Foley said when someone breaks into an occupied home and has a gun, "they're probably going to do something to you no matter if you comply or not."

"Your best bet is to fight with everything you've got," he said.

James Gierke, director of victims services for the National Organization for Victim Assistance, said taking on a criminal suspect is not always the right thing to do.

"I think (that's) way too black and white," he said. "There's a huge potential for you to escalate a situation. Sometimes compliance is the best approach.

"I cannot and I would not absolutely recommend that in every single situation the appropriate response is to fight. I think in certain situations compliance makes sense."
    The aftermath

The man who broke into the Jenningses' home in the middle of the night had the misfortune to run into someone with some experience with fighting.

David Jennings said he briefly studied mixed martial arts five years ago, training that kicked in when he came under threat that night in his room. Mixed martial arts is a combat sport that uses techniques from wrestling, boxing and kickboxing as well as judo, Brazilian jujitsu and other fighting styles. Using his legs to constrict the intruder's breathing, which is known as a body lock, is one of the moves he learned.

The quick reaction came partly from his experience as a bouncer. But it was his life as a husband and father that led the 29-year-old to battle that weekend night in March.

"All those what-ifs -- like if he would have grabbed one of my sons or daughter," he said.

Surprise police arrested Ivan Sanchez, 18, who has a juvenile record for armed robbery and burglary.

Sanchez, accused of entering the Jennings house through an unlocked sliding-glass door, faces charges of aggravated assault and burglary.

Six weeks after the Jenningses awoke to the stranger beside their bed, David Jennings is thinking of putting in an alarm system. He double-checks the door locks every night. He still keeps the gun by his bed at night but started using a trigger lock.

Jennifer still sleeps with the lights on in the hallway and stairs outside their room. She makes her husband investigate every noise, no matter how minor. She is thinking about carrying a gun with her everywhere. She remembers how the intruder looked at them.

"That's what I see every night when I close my eyes."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Here you go:
    Jennings, who was lying on his stomach, reached around behind his back with his left arm and grabbed the intruder's hand that was holding the gun -- the same gun Jennings kept by his bed for protection, a Bersa .380 semiautomatic.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Here you go:
    My thoughts exactly. The guy was in supreme danger because he left a gun out. Things could have turned out much more tragically.

Nice one!

There's a vid if you follow the link below.
    'I think they knew they messed with the wrong girl'
    By Meghan Kalkstein KATU News and KATU.com Staff Published: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM PDT

VANCOUVER, Wash. – A Vancouver woman said she used her martial art skills to defend herself after she says she was groped by one stranger and verbally harassed by another last week.

Priscilla Dang was out for a run in her own neighborhood when she says the incident happened on Padden Parkway between 94th and Andresen Road last Friday.

Two teens came up to her on their bikes.

"One went in front and made eye contact with me like a smirk, like I thought he was saying 'hi.' The next thing I knew I was pretty much groped on my bottom behind left side," Dang said.

She fought back and defended herself using her training in martial arts that she's been studying for 18 years. She's been mastering the skills of Kung Fu from her older brother. The family owns Summit Wushu Academy in Clackamas that teaches Chinese martial arts.

"So I grabbed him and said, 'You need to apologize, and he did,'" Dang said.

But it escalated when she says the second teen started swearing at her.

"It just made something snap in me – it's not OK. It's so disrespectful," Dang said.

That's when her Kung Fu background really kicked in as she punched him twice in the face.

"He started coming in for a few, and I was lucky enough to dodge his shots. I came up for another one and I got him good, and I think that upset him," she said.

After the second hit, Dang said the teen pulled out a four-inch blade.

"That was when my instinct came in to back off – don't get so close because he might grab me," she said.

Two people saw the confrontation and called 911. Dang wasn't hurt but thinks the teens definitely got the message.

"I think they knew they messed with the wrong girl," she said.

The suspects are 18 and 16 years old. The 16-year-old was released to his parents, and the 18-year-old, Josiah Sullivan, was arrested.

Investigators say they never found a knife. And they say in situations like this one they recommend people avoid confrontations.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There's a vid if you follow the link below.
    At least she was smart enough to back away when a knife was pulled.
    While I appreciate her courage in protecting herself, I am not sure how to read into this part...
    "So I grabbed him and said, 'You need to apologize, and he did,'" Dang said.
    Seems like things escalated into the other guy pulling out a knife, when they may NOT have had too..
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Would-be Thief Feels Wrath of Kung Fu Kid

With a spin kick, a 12 year old with three years of Kung fu training neutralizes the bigger bad guy!
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Harassers 'messed with the wrong girl' (Wushu Practitioner)

Harassers 'messed with the wrong girl' (Wushu Practitioner)

A young woman uses her martial arts expertise to defend herself from a stranger she said groped her. KATU reports.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#...s-herself.katu
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

i bet it was a skinny white man. if it was giant black man, no can defend.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I like seeing the good guy win. The honest law abiding citizens just going about their business and using their hard earned ability through years of training.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I remember the time I beat up a redneck at Home depot that was accosting a lady.
    My friend was the manager there at the time and got the whole thing on the surveillance video ( that we watched after).
    There was a brief article on it that he saved to tease me about it.
    This was years ago and I wonder if he still has it?
    I was teased and called "Batman" for months.
    I applaud you goodsir, you are what martial arts are for, defending the helpless. You might not have gotten a reward but you know you did well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I like seeing the good guy win. The honest law abiding citizens just going about their business and using their hard earned ability through years of training.
    Just keep watching TV ...cause that don't happen in the real world...

Hard working honest people don't tend to gravitate towards violence.

If it's not being done in a ring as a contest, or as a form of study, it's generally done in the commision of a crime.

Your average martial artist that is not into competition will likely not get in many fights in his/her life.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Just keep watching TV ...cause that don't happen in the real world...

Hard working honest people don't tend to gravitate towards violence.

If it's not being done in a ring as a contest, or as a form of study, it's generally done in the commision of a crime.

Your average martial artist that is not into competition will likely not get in many fights in his/her life.

Sadly enough that is very true. I wish there was a way to prevent martial arts from being used to do crime, and that itself sometimes gives us a bad reputation. Martial arts as sport is idiotic. Not the people who do it themselves but the fact that it's used as entertainment. And that's a good thing that martial artists don't usually get into fights or they become the criminals who use their skills for the wrong ideals.

I'm just saying it's nice to see them win for a change, not most people have years of experience under their belt or are aware of how to defend themselves.

Good Samaritaninjas

Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting ... to Stop Jewelry Store Robbery
    By Matt Coker Tue., Jul. 17 2012 at 9:04 AM

Their hands were fast as lightning . . .

They would be the three martial artists who helped an agitated owner of a jewelry store foil an attempted armed robbery in Long Beach's Cambodia Town.

Thanks to the Good Samaritaninjas, one of three baddies is in custody.

Just before noon Monday, three men came into Vi Mean Chey Jewelry, 200 E. Willard St., near the 1200 block of Anaheim Street, saying they wanted to buy gold chains. But one man pulled out a gun and hopped over the counter.

Owner Chhom Choy, who is a grandfather, began fighting off the intruder and a shot was fired in the scuffle. The gunman then tried to run out of the back of the shop, but there was no exit.

Martial arts masters Bunsong Seng and Sangva Chan Mam and their student Seiha Hak just happened to be in an adjacent store, having flown in from New York for the 25th anniversary of Khmer kickboxing legend Oumry Ban's LBC studio.

The trio heard the commotion in the jewelry store and rushed over. By then, two of the would-be robbers were getting into a car, possibly a Ford Thunderbird, and driving off. But Hak managed to help Choy and other family members subdue the gunman, who possibly suffered a broken arm in the struggle.

Once Seng, Mam and their mad skills joined the party, the suspect was not going anywhere until police arrived.

The arrestee, who was not identified, was taken to a local hospital, as was Choy, whose hand was injured either by fighting or getting grazed by the round that was fired. No one suffered life-threatening wounds.

The jewelry store's surveillance video should help police investigators, but the cop shop is also reaching out to the public for any information that can lead to the arrest of the outstanding baddies. Call the Long Beach Police Department robbery detail at 562.570.7464 if you can help.
    Don't think that Martial arts masters Bunsong Seng and Sangva Chan Mam and their student Seiha Hak were kung fu or ninjitsu practitioners...but we'll take it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Follow the link to the embedded Youku vid

This is pretty brutal stuff. It's very 'China' as I'm sure anyone else who's spent an extended stay there will testify. PRC is pretty rough sometimes.

It always strikes me as funny that so many Americans comment on the ineffectiveness of kung fu, while in China, where street violence is so much more prevalent, it's all about kung fu.

Flying Kung-Fu Kick Takes Down Knife-Wielding Attacker During China Campus Violence (VIDEO)
    The Huffington Post | By Andres Jauregui Posted: 07/16/2012 1:24 pm Updated: 07/17/2012 4:19 pm

Like the climax of a kung-fu movie, the hero in this grim scenario came out of nowhere to save the day.

According to ChinaSmack, a man wielding a large, machete-like knife rushed the campus of China's Guizhou Normal University on July 2, allegedly headed toward the cafeteria. Several security guards tried to stop him, but were cut down in the process. The man, described by police as mentally ill, stabbed and killed two guards with a 27-inch steel blade and seriously injured a third.

In footage captured by a bystander's camera phone, the suspect can be seen attacking and stabbing a guard. As he turns away from his victim, a man dashes onto the scene and delivers a powerful flying kick to the suspect's back, knocking him over.

The video has been viewed more than 2.7 million times after it was posted to the Chinese video-sharing site Youku.

The man who delivered the kick, whose name reportedly is Zhang Huaiqian, has been nicknamed "Flying Kick Brother" by social media users and the Chinese press. Zhang can be seen in the car's side view mirror, waiting for the right moment to act.

"He wanted to beat me but he had to pick up his knife first. I felt that he was hesitating and I gave him a second kick," Zhang told China Daily.

A gang of security personnel and bystanders mobbed the suspect after he was taken down. The group then proceeded to punch, kick and beat him into submission with various objects before he was later arrested.

The security guard stabbed by the knife-wielding man can be seen in the video clutching his wound as the commotion subsides. Another person, who appears to be a guard, is seen lying motionless on the sidewalk late in the video.

China Central Television reports that two university guards, Ni Bing, 48, and Han Yimin, 49, died from their injuries at a local hospital.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips