Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

A link to that kick would be nice....
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This is pretty brutal stuff. It's very 'China' as I'm sure anyone else who's spent an extended stay there will testify. PRC is pretty rough sometimes.

It always strikes me as funny that so many Americans comment on the ineffectiveness of kung fu, while in China, where street violence is so much more prevalent, it's all about kung fu.
    QUite the beatdown, well done and well deserved.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    A link to that kick would be nice....
    Check YouTube mabbe?

Find another bridge

Homeless woman uses "Kung Fu" to escape S. Wichita attack
    July 30, 2012|By John Boyd | KWCH 12 Eyewitness News

(WICHITA, Kan.) — A homeless woman is recovering after being attacked under a bridge in S. Wichita early Sunday morning. Police say the woman and her 29-year-old brother were confronted by eight people walking under the bridge in the 3700 block of S. Broadway where the two were staying.

The woman reports the group was making a lot of noise, so the woman told them to be quiet and to go find another bridge.

That's when one of the people in the group attacked her and held a hatchet to her throat.

The woman told police she was able to get out of the situation and get the hatchet away because "she knows Kung Fu."

She and her brother went to the hospital for help. The woman suffered cuts and bruises to her throat.

Police went back to the bridge and confirmed evidence of a fight.

No arrests have been made.
    I would love more info on this one...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

fighting acid attacks, eve-teasing and physical harassment

Girls turn to martial arts to combat Romeos
    Abbas Ali, TNN Sep 25, 2012, 05.52AM IST

ALLAHABAD: Two recent incidents, in which brave girls taught eve-teasers a lesson by hitting back, has sent the message across that females, especially school and college-going girls, should muster courage to fight back instead of becoming victims. While most of the girls believe they should not only stand up to speak against the mischievous acts of the road Romeos but also learn martial arts to deal them a serious blow.

Karate trainer of city Tiger Praveen Srivastava says, "In the current scenario, more and more girls are approaching trainers to learn martial arts. We have been organising special camps for girls to teach them self defence and help them walk fearlessly. Over 800 girls are learning in various camps in the city."

Shefali, an Arts under graduate of Allahabad University, says "There were several occasions when we had to resist eve-teasers and once we are trained in martial arts, we can defend ourselves and also teach them a lesson." Class XII student Kavita says "I have been learning martial arts since childhood and it proved useful when eve-teasers made an attempt to assault me when I was returning home from tuition classes." Two youths were following her and sensing trouble, she dealt a quick blow to one of the youths making the surprised duo beat a hasty retreat. "All girls have right to protect themselves and they must learn martial arts. She also claims this art of self -defence has equipped every girl to defend herself in any situation.

With reports of acid attacks, eve-teasing and physical harassment on the rise, college and school going girls in the city are approaching experts offering training in martial arts. "Currently, two batches comprising 30 girls each in the 15 to 15 years age group are learning the art of unarmed combat," said an instructor at a martial arts academy. He added: "Some girls are even planning to attain the black or green belt, a distinction in the discipline."

Victims of eve-teasing or their family members do not lodge complaints with the police due to the social stigma. In the past eight months, only 73 cases of eve-teasing have been registered with the police under section 294 of IPC, though the nuisance is far more rampant. Section 294 of the IPC is the only section which doesn't require any evidence or witness.

(Names have been changed on request)

DM orders measures to check eve-teasing

District magistrate Raj Shekhar on Monday asked district inspector of schools (DIOS) and regional higher education officers to take measures to curb eve-teasing near educational institutions. The DM has asked the officials to set up boards at all educational institutions with telephone numbers of senior police officers, schools managers/management and principal so that girls can contact the officers concerned when required. A complaint box will also be set up at every inter college, degree college and technical institutes wherein girls can drop their complaints. The colleges concerned will have to take steps to maintain records like number of complaints received, action taken.
    As an editor, I find the language of Indian articles so charming. Eve-teasing is a serious problem, but that term is just downright funny to me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not really kung fu, but amusing that the reporter dubbed it so

This article cut&pastes rather poorly as there are a lot of photos and captions. Best to just follow the link and skip to the short vid.
    Startling moment abseiler delivers flying 'Kung-Fu kick' through sixth-floor window to stop man threatening to jump with a child in his arms
    By Eddie Wrenn
    PUBLISHED: 05:12 EST, 18 October 2012 | UPDATED: 06:28 EST, 18 October 2012

It is a horrible situation in which one man, unable to cope with life, threatens to jump from a sixth-floor window - with a child in his arms.

But there is something typically Chinese in the way the man is prevented from leaping - when an abseiling fireman ensures the pair's safety by dropping from the window above and delivering a Kung-Fu-style flying kick.

His actions send the man and child tumbling back into the room, potentially saving two lives with his daring act.

The incident happened in Seongdong-gu district, in Xining City, on October 16.

Scroll down for video:
    Grief: The man sat on the ledge of a sixth-storey window in Xining City, threatening to jump to his death with a child in his arms
    The man was six storeys up, and threatening to jump as emergency teams tried desperately to prevent a tragedy
    Ready to leap: The hero fireman abseils from the window above, and then makes a split-second leap towards the man
    The video shows the man leaping downwards, in a bit to stop a tragedy occurring
    Contact: In the video, the abseiler can be seen taking the man by surprise as he swoops in through the window
    And he's in: The abseiler's quick moves send the man and child tumbling back into the room
    Safe from harm: The abseiler's quick moves send the man and child tumbling back into the room

Fire crews from Xining City Police Fire Brigade 119 were called to the scene in the mid-afternoon, responding to calls that a man was threatening to leap following family disputes.

They found the man sitting on his bedroom window ledge in an emotional state, and quickly arranged a cordon, placing an inflatable cushion at ground level.

Two firemen - one an abseiler - then went to the other side of the building, and practiced what would prove to be a life-saving moving.

An hour after the incident started, at 3.54pm, the two-man team was ready, and went to the room directly above the man's bedroom.

And then, in a smooth motion, the fireman jumped from the seventh-floor room, perfectly judging the distance so that he flew into the room with a flying kick that sent the man and his child tumbling back into the bedroom.

Prevention: The fire crew also arranged a safety cushion under the window
    Safe: Firemen cradle the two-year-old after ensuring the child's safety

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TKD vs SHARK!

This is my fav so far...

There's a vid if you follow the link...

Woman fights off shark with martial arts

Alexandra Pleffer, ninemsn
    7:40am November 1, 2012

Black belt Mariko Haugen encountered the shark in Maui, Hawaii, on the weekend after spending the day swimming with turtles.

Ms Haugen told News10 that at first she didn't realise why people on land were yelling out to her.

"All of a sudden, it was like Hollywood," she said.

"You see the big jaws coming at you.

"I can't say how terrifying that is."

Her husband Don Haugen wrote in a Facebook post that his wife "saw it a few seconds before it hit – and she gave it her best taekwondo black belt punch in the nose".

Ms Haugen punched the animal twice, with one fist making an impact but the other hand sliding into its mouth.

Ms Haugen's husband then put himself between her and the shark, but it swam away.

Don Haugen said he was still coming to grips with the attack.

"I've always told my kids there's zero reasons to fear sharks because what is scary is breast cancer," he said.

"That's one in eight (in odds).

"Getting bitten by a shark is one in four million visitors to Hawaii, so we should not have to worry at all.

"Except when you turn around and see that there is a shark biting your wife and then all of a sudden, odds are 100 per cent."

Ms Haugen was not bitten in the attack but received stitches to wounds on her right hand and thigh.

Author: Alexandra Pleffer, Approving editor: Emily O'Keefe
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Semi-successful

I wonder what that gun man thought he was going to steal.
    Updated: 3:22 p.m. Monday, Nov. 5, 2012 | Posted: 2:35 p.m. Monday, Nov. 5, 2012
    Kung fu instructor, students fight off would-be robber in Squirrel Hill
    SQUIRREL HILL, Pa. —

Authorities are looking for a man accused of trying to rob a kung fu studio Wednesday night in Squirrel Hill.

According to instructor Joshua Wang, a night class finished about 8:30 p.m. at the Win Win Kung Fu Studio on Murray Avenue when an armed man walked in and yelled at Wang and two students to get down.

"He said, 'Get down, get down, don't move,'" Wang said.

Wang told Channel 11's Vince Sims that the man walked toward the back room and then ran toward them with the gun.

"I didn't want this guy leaving, so I grabbed his head and twisted it," Wang said. "I twisted him here and I twisted him once more here."

Wang said he tackled the gunman, and while he held him down, one of the students tried to get his gun.

"My student was very good. He was very brave," Wang said.

According to Wang, the robber was "very strong" and escaped. Wang told Sims that he's glad no one was injured.

"That was my first time seeing something like that. In China, I never saw that," Wang said.

The incident remains under investigation. Anyone with information on the attempted robbery is asked to contact police.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another win for MMA

Mixed martial arts fighter stops home intruder
    Man taken into custody
    UPDATED 1:57 PM CST Nov 15, 2012
    LAWTON, Okla. —

A mixed martial arts fighter is being called a hero Thursday.

Tim Johnson, of Lawton, stopped a thief from breaking into his home. Johnson told police that when he confronted the burglar outside his home he had planned to let him go, however, when the thief got violent Johnson took action.

"I let him think he was going to get up then I gave two shots, two really good shots to the ribs," said Johnson.

Johnson called 911 as soon as he gained control of the situation. He said police arrived and arrested the man.
    Two shots to the ribs. Nice.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I wonder what that gun man thought he was going to steal.
    That is one dumb teacher. He's so lucky it worked out the way it did.

Does win win have some Chinese meaning that makes it clever? Or am I reading to much into that?

Score one for TKD

TAEK THAT! Teenage martial artist fights off would-be mugger
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012
    By Rachel Gardner

WHEN a would-be mugger approached slightly-built teenager Henry Watts determined to steal his wallet and phone, he got much more than he bargained for.

The criminal, who grabbed the Staple Hill teenager on the Bristol to Bath cycle path and aggressively demanded his possessions, had no idea his potential victim was an expert in the martial art taekwondo.

Instead of handing over his valuables, Henry, 15, put his self-defence skills to good use. And in a scene straight out of the movie The Karate Kid, he freed himself from the mugger's grasp and punched him in the face.

But rather than bragging about what he had done, Henry carried straight on to school, where he did not tell anyone about his unusual start to the day.

It was only that evening when he told his dad, Paul, what had happened. Mr Watts then contacted the police. Henry told The Post: "I usually walk to school with my younger brother Josh but was running a little bit late, so was on my own.

"I saw a man walking towards me with his head down, but suddenly he had hold of my jacket and was asking for my phone and wallet.

"I used an arm lock move to get his hand off my jacket – it basically involves getting his arm and twisting it around – and then I punched him in the face so that I could get away.

"I got off the track and ran up some stairs onto the common before carrying on to school.

"I didn't really think much of it until later in the day, and then I felt quite shocked.

"I didn't really want my dad to tell the police at first but he said what if it had been my brother, who is only 11?

"That made me realise that what had happened was quite serious."

Henry wholly credits his twice-weekly taekwondo lessons for his quick-thinking reaction.

"The whole thing didn't take longer than 15 seconds," he said.

"It never crossed my mind to hand over my things.

"My first reaction was to defend myself, and I think that's because of my taekwondo lessons."

His mum Alice Watts, 41, a finance officer, told The Post: "Henry is quite slight for his age and was wearing headphones.

"I think the man might have thought he was an easy target, but didn't realise that he knew how to defend himself. He's been doing taekwondo on and off for about five years and obviously used some of those moves to defend himself."

Andy Davies, chief instructor at Black Belt Academy in Staple Hill, has been Henry's taekwondo teacher for around 18 months.

Henry, who is in Year 10 at Mangotsfield School, is graded a green belt, which means he knows around half the skills needed to be awarded the elite black belt.

"We teach a mix of taekwondo and kick boxing using a range of oriental weapons," said Mr Davies. "The biggest thing that we try to do is to keep things simple and practical.

"Henry is a very diligent and quiet person – he's the last person I would have expected to do what he did.

"But it shows that he had the confidence to use the moves he'd learned in a real setting to defend himself.

"It's that confidence that we really try to instil in people.

"That takes time and training – the moves have to be practised and repeated over a period of time.

"We try to teach martial arts as a way of life and I am very proud of Henry and what he did to defend himself.

"I would like more children to learn the skills that martial arts teaches so that more can learn how to defend themselves in these sorts of situations."

A police spokeswoman told The Post that no arrests had yet been made but an investigation continues into the incident.

It happened between 8.30am and 8.40am on November 6, on the Bristol to Bath cycle track near Rodway Common in Mangotsfield.

Police are looking for a man aged 20 to 30, with a pale complexion, who is about 5ft 7in tall and skinny, with green eyes, a goatee beard and light brown scruffy hair. He was wearing a grey or blue hooded jumper at the time of the incident.

Anyone with information about the attacker should contact the police on 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Or am I reading to much into that?
    Yep. Too much.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for Karate

This is kind of funny. A harmless mistake receives some dojo justice.
    California karate student pummels intruder found in bathroom
    Published October 30, 2012
    Associated Press

FRESNO, Calif. – A California man got an early morning beat down after being pummeled by a karate student who found him drunk in her bathroom.

Jannine Ramirez had just won a karate competition when she arrived at her Fresno apartment early Sunday and heard someone in the bathroom. Ramirez, 20, kicked down her bathroom door, then kicked the intruder through a shower door.

She continued with an onslaught of kicks and punches until Wilberto Zapata, 18, was outside her apartment.

"We didn't recognize him," Ramirez said. "Me and my mom live in the apartment, so no guy whatsoever should be in there."

Zapata recently moved into the apartment complex and mistakenly went into the wrong apartment unit, police told the Fresno Bee.

Ramirez has a yellow belt -- a step above beginner -- and expects to be promoted to orange belt next month at during a competition in Fresno.

She has been a karate and Muay Thai kick-boxing student for a year. Saturday was her first competition.

"I was actually more nervous in the competition than I was trying to get this intruder out of my house," said Ramirez, who attends Fresno City College and plans to study physical therapy at Fresno State University. "I literally kicked him all the way through my house."

Police said Zapata was drunk and thought he had broken into his own apartment. He was cited for unlawful entry into a home and released. A phone listing for Zapata could not be found.

Ramirez has no regrets.

"I had to protect my mom and protect myself and get this intruder out of my house," she said. "He sort of did deserve it. If he hadn't broken into my house, it wouldn't have happened."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I thought we had a thread on this somewhere

Can't find it now. Oh well...

There's a vid if you follow the link.
    Chinese Kung Fu Expert Beats Up Men Who Came To Evict Him From Home
    Malcolm Moore, The Daily Telegraph | Nov. 29, 2012, 9:53 AM | 2,804 | 7

In China, perhaps even more than in Britain, a man's home is his castle.

So when 38-year-old Shen Jianzhong was faced with a mob of thugs trying to evict him, he asked himself what his hero, Bruce Lee, would do.

The answer, according to a video that has attracted more than two million hits on the Chinese internet, is turn to kung fu.

For 20 years, Mr Shen had been practising kung fu, teaching himself Bruce Lee's system in his courtyard home in Bazhou, Hebei province.

Working in a local gym as a fitness coach, he is also the holder of a world record, at least according to an association in Hong Kong, for the most press-ups in a minute using a roller. "I am now training to break the record for most press-ups on a balance beam," he said.

At the end of October, Mr Shen was able to put his kung fu into action. For six months, a property developer had been trying to get his hands on Mr Shen's house.

"They called it a remodelling project, to turn our village into a town," he said.

"They wanted to tear down the whole street, and promised we would get a new house of the same size in two years, as well as rent to cover the interim.

But I heard of people in a neighbouring village getting a much better deal, so we refused to sign."

At first, the property company stuck up posters warning of dire consequences for any families who held out. Then, Mr Shen said, when 70 of the 100 households had left, the threats escalated.

"This mob of thugs would block the street most days. They would pick on the women, threatening to kill their kids. Then people started tossing bricks through windows and letting off fireworks at night. Some people got beaten on the street."

On October 29, as Mr Shen went to work and his wife popped out for a packet of instant noodles, a mob of "30 to 50 men" materialised at their front door.

"My wife tried to close the door, but they pushed it back and she tripped over. That is how the fight started," said Mr Shen.

With a flurry of kicks and punches, he and his 18-year-old son, a fellow kung fu devotee, set about the attackers, rendering seven of them near unconscious in the hallway.

"It was self defence. I really cannot remember what kung fu skills I used.

It was quite messy. Only seven people were injured because the rest were scared and stayed outside. Some of them ran away," he said.

When the police arrived, however, they were little help, insisting that since the thugs were unarmed, it was Mr Shen and his family who were in the wrong. They urged the family to sign the contract.

Instead, the Shens posted their homemade video online, where it has gone viral as a rare David versus Goliath moment in the bleak fight against China's avaricious property barons.

They then fled, on the evening of November 21, to Beijing. Upon arriving in the capital, however, Mr Shen's son was arrested by the police, who said they would charge him with assault.

"I do not regret the fight, but I am worried about my son," said Mr Shen.

"I think they are trying to fit up him up with some crime. I am concerned that my actions will end up hurting him," he said, acknowledging that officials may try to emotionally blackmail him into signing over his lease.

As the Telegraph interviewed Mr Shen, however, his phone rang. It was, he said, a man named Zhou Jin, who claimed to be a member of the Central Military Commission, which oversees the People's Liberation Army.

"He said he had seen my plight and was outraged. He said I should not give any interviews to the media and he would come and collect me in his car this afternoon," said Mr Shen.

An attempt to contact Mr Zhou on the number he provided failed, but perhaps Mr Shen's bravura has won him a powerful ally.

Additional reporting by Valentina Luo
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I guess no one told him and that a person can't teach himself a martial art and that MA don't work VS multiple attackers.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Bokken & Bear Spray

Get your bokkens here (sorry, no bear spray)

San Francisco Woman Apprehends Burglar with Bear Spray, Live-tweets the Incident
    By Jessica Ferri | Work + Money – Fri, Nov 30, 2012 1:49 PM EST

Sonya Yu

Sick and tired of a burglar stealing packages from homes in her neighborhood, a San Francisco woman took matters into her own hands on Tuesday, according to the Daily Mail.

Luring the thief with a dummy package, Sonya Yu sprayed him with bear repellent and threatened him with a wooden sword, chasing him away. Minutes later, the alleged burglar, Andy Anduha, 51, was apprehended by law enforcement.

Yu, a photographer, recounted the entire incident on her Twitter account as events unfolded.

Yu informed her followers that several items had been stolen by Anduha. "He steals packages from door stoops - stole $1K+ worth from us earlier in the fall. He's been targeting our neighborhood."

"My bear spray, bokken, & I are still not intimidated,'" she tweeted Tuesday at 2:10 p.m. A bokken is a wooden sword used for samurai training.

Shortly after 4:45 p.m. the same day she tweeted, "I GOT HIM WITH THE BEAR SPRAY BUT HE ESCAPED." Then, less than 15 minutes later, "I AM PUTTING HIM UNDER CITIZENS ARREST RIGHT NOW WITH 4 COPS."

Constant tweets concerned for her welfare came in. Yu kept her followers informed, giving them a blow-by-blow of events. Less than three minutes later: "8 COPS HAVE HIM & I JUST CONFIRMED ID. HE IS BEIN TAKEN AWAY IN AN AMBULANCE CUZ OF THE BEAR SPRAY I DOUSED HIM WITH." After Anduha was apprehended she wrote, "The bear spray debilitated him & painted him orange so other cops picked him up within 5 minutes. GOT HIM!"

Yu conceded on Twitter that the police were entertained by her unorthodox methods. "Cops were cracking up when they arrived to see me and my weapons." Hikers and hunters use bear repellent for protection. Yu tweeted she had purchased it at a local REI. Like pepper spray, bear repellent contains "Capsaicin and other Capsaicinoids, red pepper derivatives that affect the eyes and respiratory system," according to REI's website.

Yahoo! Shine reached out to Yu, but she did not respond for comment. "Thx everyone for the interest," she tweeted this morning, "but I have not & will not speak or comment to the media abt this. It's still an active police investigation."

Though some of Yu's neighbors praised her scrappiness, ("Thanks for catching the UPS Bandit. You saved Christmas," one neighbor wrote on Twitter), local law enforcement recommended that citizens not attempt to confront criminals themselves.

Other tweeters thought Yu's actions were unnecessary, even crazy. One wrote: "This is assault. Cops can't beat suspected criminals who are fleeing, and citizens can't blast them with bear spray. He had a knife? Please. You mean the one he opens packages with? Sonya was not in physical danger. . . y'all are a bunch of Texans if you think this violence is justified."

Yu insisted to neighbors that she was safe during the incident, tweeting, "He didn't try to attack me but he did have a knife. I was above him on the 1st floor balcony, dousing him with bear spray," though she did get hit by the bear spray in the process. "I WAS ALSO HIT WITH BEAR SPRAY BLOW BACK, SO MY FACE IS BURNING BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD," she tweeted.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips