Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Nice heart warming stories. Thanks.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Karate vs. Shark

Another martial arts vs. shark successful application? WTF have I been training my ground game for then?

Follow the link for a new report video and a graphic shark bite pic.
    Shark bite victim used martial arts training to escape shark
    Posted: Jun 25, 2013 12:29 PM PDT Updated: Jun 26, 2013 5:18 PM PDT
    By Corey Davis - email
    KIAWAH ISLAND, SC (WCSC) -

Joshua Watson, a 14-year-old from Summerville is recovering after undergoing surgery for a shark bite that happened while he was swimming at Kiawah Island's Beachwalker Park on Tuesday.

The teen is a 2nd degree black belt in karate. He used his martial arts training to fight off the shark.

"So I tried to jerk my ankle away and I accidentally punched the shark," said Watson.

Delivering a quick punch to the nose, Watson says it was instinct when his karate skills kicked in.

"I think it did scare it," said Watson.

Playing a game in the water that turned all too real, Watson and his sister were pretending to be sharks while swimming.

Watson said, "At first I was actually really surprised because I never thought I would get bit by a shark, so it was kind of scary at first."

The punch may have turned the shark away, but not before it left a row of teeth marks on Watson's right leg.

"I tried to stay calm because the more your adrenaline rushes, the more blood comes out," said Watson.

He learned that trick from a movie, not Jaws the all time classic shark movie, but Soul Surfer. It's a movie about the true story of a young woman's journey back to surfing after losing her arm to a horrific shark bite.

While Watson will make a full recovery, Arnold Postell Senior Bioloigist at the South Carolina Aquarium says low visibility in the water could be the reason the shark bit the teenager.

Postell said, "The animal wasn't out hunting humans. He was out possibly feeding though. In low visibility he bumped into something. He might have smelled food from local bate, possibly a fisherman fishing and it was enough cues that he might have just taken a quick bite on something he didn't see."

Watson's family believes the shark was about four to five feet long. Postell says there are a wide variety of sharks swimming in our waters.

"Some of the more common ones would be Atlantic sharpnose or a sandbar shark, blacktip, blacknose, lemon sharks, bull sharks. We have a wide variety of shark species that could be in the shallows," said Postell.

Watson's parents are thankful he didn't suffer any long term injuries.

"I could've been so much worse and he's really gotten the best scenario possible for recovery," said Watson's mom Rebekah.

Watson's recovery is expected to be about six weeks and he'll be on crutches most of that time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

luv this story

August 23, 2013 News » Crime & Courts
    Arrest made in Chinatown attack as thefts, violence persist
    by Mike Aldax @SFExMikeAldax

An elderly Chinatown merchant brandished a sword against a man accused of shoplifting and assault. - MIKE KOOZMIN/THE S.F. EXAMINER

Chinatown merchants are cheering the arrest last weekend of one of several people who they say relentlessly steal from area merchants and street musicians.

Price Wheeler, 41, a transient with a lengthy rap sheet, was arrested after allegedly attacking an 81-year-old gift shop owner in the area of Grant Avenue and Sacramento Street on Sunday.

At the time of Wheeler's arrest, Central Police Station Capt. Garret Tom and Mayor Ed Lee were in the area for the annual Chinatown Ping Pong Festival.

Tom was flagged down by witnesses and Wheeler was arrested soon after.

Wheeler had reportedly attempted to shoplift at one of the 81-year-old man's gift shops, according to Tom. After the elderly merchant kicked him out, Wheeler went to another one of the man's stores and "made a big mess," Tom said.

During the melee, police said, Wheeler pushed the elderly man to the ground, screamed at him and took a fighting stance. At one point, the merchant pulled a sword from its sheath for protection, but then police showed up and reportedly subdued Wheeler.

The transient threatened the arresting officer's family and accused police of racial profiling, Tom said.

But the police captain said the brazen shoplifters are the ones profiling.

"A lot of the time they're targeting older merchants or immigrant workers," Tom said. "They're just bullies."

Merchants agree. Tane Chan, the longtime owner of The Wok Shop at 718 Grant Ave., said she is fed up with another man who habitually robs tips from Chinese musicians who play in front of her store. On Wednesday, Chan said, the man reportedly grabbed a musician's money box and fled.

"This is the fourth time he's done it," she said of the thief.

Chan said she confronted the crook and told him to never come back. She believed he was prepared to attack her, but instead he fled.

Most merchants don't fight back, Chan said.

"The Chinese are peaceful, they don't like to make waves," she said. "And the homeless know that."

Chan added, "They shoplift in my store all day long."

As for Wheeler, he will be in jail for a while. At the time of his arrest, he was on felony probation. Wheeler also was found in possession of a crack pipe, along with a Louis Vuitton bag linked to a previous car burglary, Tom said.

During his arraignment Wednesday, Wheeler pleaded not guilty to multiple charges connected to Sunday's incident and is being held on no-bail status, said Assistant District Attorney Alex Bastian.
    Here's another version from Phillip Matier And Andrew Ross Saturday, August 24, 2013 column in the SF Chron
    Senior samurai: All in all, it was a pretty rough day for 41-year-old Price Wheeler - who found himself in jail after coming face to face with a sword-wielding senior citizen who was not amused with his alleged antics.

"It really was something to see," said police Capt. Garrett Tom, who along with Mayor Ed Lee happened to be walking back from the city's annual pingpong tournament in Chinatown just as the Tenderloin transient took off running out of a Grant Avenue store.

According to Tom, it all began when Wheeler - who has a long rap sheet, mostly for petty theft - started messing around with the merchandise in the New Shanghai knick-knack store on Grant Avenue.

When store owner Charles Liu kicked him out, Wheeler went across the street to New Peking, also owned by the Liu family.

Liu followed him into the store and a confrontation ensued, with Wheeler allegedly pushing the 81-year-old Liu backward.

Liu took off across the street to a third store that his son manages, with Wheeler in pursuit, police said.

Once in the store, Liu grabbed a 3-foot-long sword off the wall and brandished it at Wheeler, who took one look at the blade and took off running.

Just at that moment, the mayor, his security team, Tom and police Lt. Paul Yep happened by. Yep promptly caught up to Wheeler - who was holding a very expensive Louis Vuitton bag that had been stolen from a car earlier that day, police said.

Wheeler is now cooling his heels in County Jail, where he is facing charges of probation violation, possession of stolen goods and ... elder abuse.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

score one for judo

Allegedly abusive passenger judo-thrown by female station worker
    Master Blaster 21 hours ago

It’s an old stereotype that all East Asians know martial arts and one that’s far from the truth. However, you never know when someone you least expect is going to pop out some taekwondo, karate, judo, or, in the words of James Brown, ka-razy.

Hiroshi Ebina learned that the hard way when a 21-year-old female station attendant he got mixed up with took him down in one move having good old-fashioned judo under her presumably black belt.

It all happened on 26 August in Kanagawa Prefecture when Ebina tried to exit Keikyu Yokohama Station without paying the full fare. In Japan, train and subway fares are based on the distance traveled, so if you exit at a further station than you paid for then you must settle the difference before leaving.

The 34-year-old Ebina, however, figuratively said, “To hell with that!” and hopped the gate instead. At this point, the younger woman who worked there approached him to talk about it. Ebina allegedly replied to her by smacking her in the face several times. To which the woman, who happened to have a background in judo, then retorted with a shoulder throw sending him promptly to the ground. Following this, others helped her to restrain him until police arrived.

In an unusual twist for Japan, Ebina actually denied the charges against him saying, “I didn’t hit her. I just flicked her hat off.” Honestly, after covering scores of crime stories for RocketNews24 this might be the first time I read of a Japanese suspect not admitting to the charges against him. I’m almost inclined to believe him.

Source: Yomiuri Online (Japanese)
    Top Image: Wikipedia – Mhultstrom
    Video: YouTube – TomoNewsJP

▼ A fine video report from Tomo News.
    I copied the vid link because it has one of those CG simulations. I love those.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Love the vid!
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Md. Boy Uses Karate to Escape Murder Attempt

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...222202121.html

An 8-year-old Maryland boy using karate moves was able to escape what police are calling an attempted murder overnight last weekend.

Helen Marie Newsome, 26, is accused of breaking into a Landover home where the young boy was sleeping around 8 a.m. Saturday. Police say she had dated the boy's father, and they had recently broken up.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...222202121.html

An 8-year-old Maryland boy using karate moves was able to escape what police are calling an attempted murder overnight last weekend.

Helen Marie Newsome, 26, is accused of breaking into a Landover home where the young boy was sleeping around 8 a.m. Saturday. Police say she had dated the boy's father, and they had recently broken up.
    Love the headbutt
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Score on for Kung Fu!!!

Kick to the face. Sweet!

Woman fights off abductor with kung fu skills
    By IDS Reports
    POSTED AT 12:02 AM ON Sep. 9, 2013 (UPDATED AT 12:43 AM ON Sep. 9, 2013)

When a man tried to abduct a 20-year-old woman Saturday, he got a foot to the face.

A 20-year-old woman told police she was walking near East Eighth Street and North Lincoln Street at about 1 a.m. when a dark-colored SUV occupied with three men pulled up beside her, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said.

One of the men in the backseat got out of the vehicle and grabbed her by the arm and tried to bring her into the vehicle, the victim said.

The victim said she is trained in kung fu and kicked the male in the face. He then reentered the vehicle, and the occupants drove off.

She didn’t sustain any injuries, Cole said.

No license plate number was obtained, and the case is listed as inactive, Cole said.

— Matt Stefanski
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Saweet! I can picture various moves to get out of the arm grab followed by a swift front snap kick to the face

crazy...

Good thing he had his katana on him...
    VIDEO: Man draws samurai sword to break up fight on Phoenix light rail train
    A wannabe samurai scared away two fighters when he unsheathed a katana on a Phoenix light rail car.
    By Michael Walsh / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Saturday, October 20, 2012, 1:46 PM

A man simply unsheathed a katana and inched slowly toward the fighters.

A vigilante drew what appears to be a samurai sword to break up a brawl on a Phoenix light rail car. The fisticuffs ceased once the fighters beheld the long single-edged blade.

The martial arts weapon, long-associated with feudal Japan, does not appear often on American public transportation. Whether the man is a true master of Bushido — the code of the samurai — or simply someone who has seen one too many Akira Kurosawa films is a moot point. After all, his intimidation tactic worked.

The two young men who had the upper hand during the fight fled from the car, as the man who was punched and kicked repeated cursed at them from the doorway.

The unidentified man, wearing a baseball cap and headphones, did not need to execute a single martial arts move to scare away the fighters. He simply unsheathed the katana and inched slowly toward them.

"Let me see it! Let me see it!" said the man who had been losing the fight, but the wannabe samurai held up his fist to signal that he was in control of the situation.

A fight on a Phoenix light rail train came to an abrupt end when an unidentified stranger broke up the fight by wielding his samurai sword.

At least one passenger does not think the mystery peacekeeper's presence was a coincidence.

"There's no accidents and, he was totally there for a reason," one passenger told ABC 15. "And I feel like, hey you know dude, wherever you are, rock on!"

Another witness recorded video of the fight and samurai intervention and uploaded it to YouTube on Oct. 13. The video has already received nearly 300,000 views.

CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL VIDEO (WARNING: OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE)

The incident appears to have occurred Oct. 6 around 2 a.m. according to comments from the YouTube user who uploaded the video. Valley Metro Rail and Phoenix police are currently investigating the incident.

For at least one minute, the way of the samurai was somewhat alive in Arizona.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A different kind of success

Slow news day....
    Washington's Teacher of the Year teaches English as second language, is a martial arts expert
    BY Chris Sullivan on September 24, 2013 @ 7:47 am (Updated: 8:30 am - 9/24/13 )

Katie Brown uses her martial arts to help her in the classroom. "All of those things are the same traits we are trying to build in our students in the classroom too." (Photo courtesy Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction)

A martial arts expert who helps 6th-to-8th graders who don't speak English learn the language is your Washington Teacher of the Year.

Katie Brown, 35, of Shukson Middle School in Bellingham works with about 70 kids a year who don't speak English as their primary language, and she said when they finally "get it," that's when she knows she's making a difference.

She recounted a story of two kids that came to her as 6th graders with no English skills at all. "By the time they reached 8th grade, not even the end of 8th grade, they exited the ELL (English Language Learners) program, level four language proficiency, which means there really isn't a difference between them and their English-speaking peers." Brown said that happens all the time and makes her job so rewarding.

Brown also coaches other teachers on how to handle these ELL students so they can succeed in other subjects.

But is there one thing that she loves the most about her job?

"It's absolutely a team effort," she said. "I really feel like I'm a coach of this fantastic team, and we get to go out there every day and cheer each other on and have fun. It's just a fun job. I wish more people could come into the classroom and experience that."

Brown also co-owns a martial arts gym, teaches martial arts and competes. She just won a Silver Medal in her weight class in an international competition in China. "It's also another huge part of my life that I think drives and motivates a lot of what I do and gives me the energy to do what I do," she said.

She uses her martial arts to help her in the classroom. "Kung Fu and martial arts, I mean the essence of it is teaching character, and perseverance, and dedication, and learning something over time, and commitment, and obviously all of those things are the same traits we are trying to build in our students in the classroom too."

Teacher of the Year is a great title. She's now in the running for National Teacher of the Year, but what other cool stuff does she get for the recognition?

"I get to go to Safeco Field and a Mariners game and throw the first pitch," Brown said. "I get to go to the Governor's Mansion. I get to go to Washington D.C. and shake President Obama's hand. I get to go to Space Camp, which I've always wanted to do since I was two years old," Brown said. "Who doesn't want to do that?"

The National Teacher of the Year will be announced next year at the White House.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sword vs. gun...

...AND THE SWORD WINS!

Robber with gun sticks-up bodega, employee fights off robber with machete

Store clerk fights off armed robber with sword
    By Bob Fredericks
    October 7, 2013 | 12:00pm

Store clerk fights off armed robber with sword

A fearless — or plain crazy — Long Island deli clerk dodged a bullet, then grabbed a machete and bravely chased a pistol-packing thug from the store, Suffolk cops said Monday.

Shocking surveillance video of the Sept. 25 incident shows the masked gunman as he burst through the door of the Stop & Shop Deli on Crooked Hill Road in Brentwood about 8 p.m. and pointed a semi-automatic .22 caliber handgun at the clerk.

The crook, carrying an Air Jordan backpack, demanded cash, but the plucky worker hesitated even though the gun was pointed at him only inches away.

The robber then ****ed the handgun and pulled the trigger, firing a shot into the wall that barely missed the clerk, who only flinched slightly when the gun went off, the video shows.

The cool-headed employee then pulled a machete from under the counter and chased the feckless robber out of the store and through the parking lot.

The suspect was described as a young, black male with a thin build, about 5-foot-10. He was wearing a gray mask, black top with white stripes on the sleeves, dark pants and black-and-white sneakers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Somewhat successful

An “outside crescent kick” to the suspect’s leg?
    October 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    Suspect leads SPD on wild chase involving 2 crashes, martial arts, a pot grow and burglary
    Posted by Colin Campbell

We wouldn’t believe this report if it weren’t posted to the official Seattle police website.

A 21-year-old led police on a chase in South Seattle during which he wrecked two vehicles (aside from his own), fought a martial-arts instructor and was arrested after he was found hiding in a medical-marijuana grow.

It started off simply enough: An officer saw a 21-year-old man and his 18-year-old female passenger driving in South Seattle with no license plate around 2 p.m. The officer flashed his lights for the man to pull over.

Instead of stopping, the car sped through a red light at the intersection of Seward Park Avenue and Rainier Avenue South, hitting two other vehicles. No one was injured in the crash.

The suspect’s car “rolled down the street for several hundred feet,” the report said, and when it stopped, the man and woman jumped out and made a run for it. The officer caught the woman, but the man ran away down Rainier Avenue.

With us so far? Great. Now this: A martial-arts instructor who happened to be walking down the street saw the man running and threw an “outside crescent kick” to the suspect’s leg, knocking him down.

He and another bystander had the suspect pinned to the ground when yet another unidentified man pushed them off the suspect and helped him escape.

From there, the suspect ran inside a building — one that turned out to be housing a medical-marijuana grow.

Officers descended on the building and found the suspect, along with jewelry, wallets, mail and cash they say he stole. They found a gun and several iPads in the crashed car.

Police went to the address of the mail — which matched information in one of the wallets — and found a family who had come home and discovered their house had been broken into. Several iPads and a wallet were missing.

The 21-year-old man was booked on suspicion of hit-and-run, felony eluding and unlawful possession of a firearm, the report said. He’s also being investigated for burglary. The 18-year-old woman who was with him was released, the report said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Wait....compressions on a person seizing? That's not right. Dos Anjos got lucky because that could have gone a completely different direction for him.

Martial arts legend rescues man suffering seizure on bus
    By Daniel PrendergastOctober 24, 2013 | 3:23pm

Edmar dos Anjos
    Photo: Facebook
    A quick thinking mixed martial arts legend jumped into action when a passenger aboard a Queens bus he was riding started having a seizure, the fighting legend told The Post.
    World renowned Muay Thai fighter and trainer Master Edmar dos Anjos was riding the Q53 bus at around 10 a.m. Thursday while on his way to the gym he owns in Howard Beach when he noticed a man sitting in front of him was having a seizure, officials said.
    “He just slumped over and started shaking,” dos Anjos said. “I knew something was wrong.”

Edmar dos Anjos has trained with MMA legends like UFC great Anderson Silva.
    Photo: Facebook
    Dos Anjos, who has trained and mentored fighters such as UFC legend Anderson Silva, hopped up and shouted for the driver to stop and call 911 as the bus neared the corner of Liberty Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard in Ozone Park.
    That’s when he rushed over to the convulsing 30-year-old and laid him on the seat as the other passengers stood and stared or ran off of the bus.
    “I told the driver he’s having a seizure but she said she didn’t know what to do,” dos Anjos told The Post. “Most of the other passengers panicked I think. I don’t think any cared about him. They got out out of the bus fast.”
    The former champion bruiser said he cradled the convulsing man’s head so he would not hurt himself.
    “I put my hands on his chest to start doing compressions but he started coming back.”
    As the man started to regain consciousness, dos Anjos reassured him, telling him he was going to be ok.
    “He mentioned he was diabetic and thanked me for helping him,” he added. “He looked like he was going to be fine.”
    EMTs showed up and treated the man at the scene before releasing him, officials said.
    “I just reacted,” dos Anjos said. “He needed help.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips