Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Tomahawk throwing champ scares off burglar

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/11...cares-off.html

Woman awaken from burglar in her home trying to take off her watch. She's a tomahawk throwing champion and keeps by her bedside an ax. Scared off the burglar, police caught him later

Not only is a tomahawk an interesting choice for home defense (compared to traditional) but a tomahawk throwing champion to boot?!?!?!?
    Last edited by Stickgrappler; 11-05-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added title to post

Score one for Shidokan

Luv that pic.
    Restaurant Owner Serves Knuckle Sandwich To Alleged iPhone Thief
    November 11, 2013 9:15 PM

Justin Ballog (Cook County Sheriff’s Dept.)

(CBS) – A Lincoln Park restaurant owner used his martial arts skills to capture a suspected iPhone thief.

Jason Chan thought a man in his restaurant Juno seemed a little suspicious when he entered last Thursday and approached the bar.

When he left, Chan asked a customer there if the man had taken his iPhone; sure enough, it was gone.

Chan remembered the man’s distinctive striped sweater and tracked him down to another nearby restaurant, Lou Malnati’s.

“I tried grabbing him and at that point he basically fought me off and he then tried to leave the restaurant,” Chan tells CBS 2. “We actually broke the door of the restaurant, of Lou Malnati’s, and then he was very adversarial. He tried getting physical with me, and at that point I kind of neutralized him.”

The restaurateur says he held the suspect for police. Chan tells the Chicago Sun-Times he is a practitioner of the martial art Shidokan.

The suspect, Justin Ballog, was charged with misdemeanor theft. His bond was set at $10,000, according to the Cook County Sheriff’s Office.

“What’s right is right,” Chan says.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Martial arts trumps hammer in fight

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego State University student used his martial arts skills Monday night to disarm and take down a neighbor armed with a hammer, police said Wednesday.

Campus police arrived at Alberts College Apartments on 55th Street, near Canyon Crest Drive, about 10 p.m. and found James Bono Altamirano, 54, disarmed and on the ground, police agency spokesman Josh Mays said. Altamirano suffered minor injuries and was not in need of paramedics.

No one else was injured.

Mays said Altamirano was upset about a parking spot and knocked on his neighbors’ door, threatening them with a hammer. In self-defense, the 23-year-old resident knocked him down and took the man’s hammer.

Altamirano was arrested on suspicion of making threats with a deadly weapon.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-hammer-fight/
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

score another for kung fu

Masked robbers chased down the street by Kung Fu shop owner
    BASEBALL-BAT wielding thugs picked the wrong shop to raid when they burst into Darius Adineh's convenience store on Thursday night.
    By Sarah Ann Harris/Published 11th January 2014

BRAVE: Darius Adineh in his convenience store [MEN]

The reckless robbers hadn't bargained on running into the Kung Fu black belt and Special Forces veteran, who was working alone in the shop.

Darius, who has run Premier Convenience Store in Little Hulton, Salford, for the last three years, didn't take kindly to the masked raiders' demands to hand over cash from the till.

He told the yobs: "If you want the money you'll have to come and get it".

He then picked up a piece of wood and chased the thugs out of the shop and along Manchester Road East.

A customer dialled 999 and police raced to the scene but the offenders were able to escape on foot.
    THUGS: The robbers threaten Darius with a baseball bat [MEN]
    , I DON'T THINK SO: Darius tackles one of the thugs [MEN]

“I wasn't going to give up my hard-earned takings to some idiots”
    Darius Adineh

Darius, 44, moved to Britain back in 1994 after serving in the Special Forces of the Iranian Army during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.

During his time in the military he became a black belt in Kung Fu, which he still trains in up to four times a week.

Darius said: "I saw lots of gruesome things during the war.

"I know how to defend myself and it's like second nature. I wasn't scared.

"They weren't expecting someone like me to be there.

"When they saw my reaction they were just shocked."

He added: "Me and my wife work 16 hours a day. I wasn't going to give up my hard-earned takings to some idiots.

"I don't feel brave, I was just protecting what's mine."

ESCAPED: Police are looking for the two yobs [MEN]

Police are investigating the raid at 10:10pm.

The first offender was around 5ft7, slim, and was wearing a light coloured hoody with the hood up.

He was also wearing light coloured tracksuit bottoms and had his face covered, possibly with a scarf. He spoke with a local accent.

The second man was around 6ft, was wearing a red hoody, and also spoke with a local accent.

Anyone who knows who they are, or who has any information, should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
    Not the way to threaten some one with a bat...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I personally advocate environmental fighting when it comes to street mixups.
    Use the wall, use the lamp post, use the fire hydrant, use the concrete. Use obstacles etc.
    FWIW, there is no 100% method of self defense or self protection. All you can do is improve the odds of success by knowing more, being better armed, having protection or, simply not going to places where you know Sh!t goes down.

Make your move then keep moving and know there is a probability you could lose, even if you start it or are the attacker.
    Think ahead, plan ahead. Your home turf should be your advantage at all times.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Score one for all of us

The Taiwanese visitors to Ronda were among hundreds of tourists who flock to see the town's historic architecture. File photo: zoetnet/Flickr
    Martial arts tourists tackle Spanish mugger
    Published: 24 Apr 2014 12:31 GMT+02:00
    Updated: 24 Apr 2014 12:31 GMT+02:00

Two Taiwanese tourists used their martial arts skills this week to take down and detain a mugger who tried to steal a woman's mobile phone in the southern Spanish town of Ronda.

Local newspaper Sur reported that the duo leapt to the aid of a middle-aged woman when a 35-year-old man pushed her in the back and tried to steal her phone.

She had been taking a photograph of the 18th century Puente Nuevo (new bridge), the town's main attraction, and found herself struggling with her assailant.

Her shouts alerted the Taiwanese men, one of whom grabbed the mugger and immediately immobilized him using a martial arts submission hold.

His compatriot helped restrain the would-be thief until the local police arrived a few minutes later.

The mugger, who is reported to be a resident of the picturesque Andalucian town, located in the province of Malaga, was charged with the crime of robbery with violence.

The incident was said to have caused a great deal of commotion in the area which is visited by hundreds of tourists every day.
    Wish they has said what style - Taiwan has all sorts of styles.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

not your typical application...

I imagine a baby dolphin is heavy and slippery, and that Pendred's MMA grappling skills were of great aid to this rescue.
    Cathal Pendred, Mixed Martial Arts Fighter, Saves Baby Dolphin
    Tuesday, 29 Apr 2014 06:50 AM
    By Michael Mullins

Cathal Pendred, an Irish mixed martial arts ultimate fighter, saved a beached baby dolphin Sunday morning while walking along the coastline in County Clare, Ireland.

Pendred was walking with his girlfriend when he came upon a group of people staring into the water as another man had apparently been attempting unsuccessfully to push the baby dolphin past the current and back into the sea.

Pendred walked out to the other man and after failing at his own attempt to push the dolphin back into the ocean, wound up carrying the dolphin past the waves and rocky coastline until it was in deep enough water for it to swim back into the sea.

"I continued trying to push the dolphin out past the waves but he continued to get washed back in," Pendred told Fox Sports. "He was bleeding and had a lot of cuts so I think it was due to these injuries that he wasn't strong enough to swim past the break."

"At one point the current dragged him into a very rocky, shallow area of the beach and the dolphin became stuck. I couldn't push him as his underside was scratching off the rocks and cutting him. So that's when I picked up the dolphin and brought him to a deeper, less rocky area," Pendred continued.

"I stayed around for a while to make sure he wasn't brought back in," Pendred added. "And when I realized he wasn't going to getting washed back, I headed for the hotel because I was wet and freezing."

The 6'2", 170 pound Pendred, who has a fighting record of 13 wins, two losses and one draw, told Fix Sports that he was visiting County Clare's picturesque coastline to attend a wedding.

As tiring as the ordeal was, the Irish fighter said he left the beach feeling great having been able to save the baby dolphin's life.

"It wasn't my typical walk on the beach, but I felt great about it afterwards," Pendred added.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for KUNG FU!

This one made my morning. Today is going to be a good day.
    Kung fu-trained customer stops man from robbing east side bar
    Police: Customer holds man to ground until police arrive
    Published On: May 12 2014 07:16:31 AM CDT Updated On: May 13 2014 03:55:39 PM CDT

Photo courtesy Dane County Sheriff's Office
    Jeremy Stanek

MADISON, Wis. -

A 42-year-old man faces charges of armed robbery after he tried to use a large pipe to rob an east side bar before being tackled by customers at the establishment, according to Madison police.

The incident happened just after 1 a.m. Monday at the Alchemy Café in the 1900 block of Atwood Avenue on the city's east side.

According to police, Jeremy Stanek, 42, entered the bar with a 31-inch black pipe and a green T-shirt around his face. Police said Stanek then told the bartender to give him all the money in the bar.

The bartender complied, according to police, but a patron at the bar immediately overpowered Stanek and held him until police arrived.

The 43-year-old who took action did so because of his sense of neighborhood pride, police said. The kung fu-trained customer started to get up, but as he did Stanek pointed the “barrel” of his weapon, and told him to sit down or get shot.

The man did not think Stanek was holding a gun so he hit Stanek in the head with his forearm, police said.

“I saddled him and held him around the torso,” the patron said. As Alchemy employees started thanking the man, he got emotional and said he didn’t want to see something like that happen in his neighborhood.

No one was hurt in the incident.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for MMA (& kickboxing)

Well played. Very well played.

Posted: 10:38 p.m. Thursday, May 15, 2014
    Martial arts teacher confronts burglar in home

By Ken Pritchett
    KTVU - California
    SAN JOSE, Calif. — If Brian Khun had not forgotten his martial arts uniform at home on Thursday morning, his day would have been far different.
    It was then that Khun was traveling between the two martial arts studios, where he teaches kickboxing and MMA fighting, when he decided to go home and pick up his uniform.
    With his 5-year-old daughter right behind him, the teacher entered his San Jose home to find a burglar in his dining room.
    “Hey, this guy let me in,” the man stood up and said, according to Khun.
    Worried for his daughter’s safety and seeing a pry bar in the man’s hand, Kuhn grabbed the burglar. “I grabbed him to take him outside, he didn’t want to go, so then we started fighting,” he said.
    Kuhn says he delivered several punches, kneed the burglar, put his head through a window, then dragged him outside in a headlock. Neighbors, hearing a commotion, came outside and called 911.
    “He was holding him down, waiting for police,” said neighbor Patricia McHarris. “It was pretty scary.”
    McHarris has high praise for her neighbor, calling his actions amazing. San Jose police arrested the man, whose face was bloodied and swollen.
    Khun says he would not recommend others try to confront a burglar if it can be avoided.
    “Just sort of relieved that it ended the way that it did, that it didn’t end badly for me or my family,” said Khun.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the ol' chicken wing

of course, the gun helps...
    Martial arts instructor captures Bradley County fugitive
    Posted: Jun 23, 2014 1:54 PM PDT
    Updated: Jun 23, 2014 2:23 PM PDT
    By Matt Barbour, Weekend Anchor/Reporter - bio | email

BRADLEY COUNTY, TN (WRCB) - A Bradley County man is being hailed a hero after helping capture a fugitive on the run. The take down happened Sunday night, not even 200 yards from a police command post at a home on Howard Road.

Mark Howard says he saw David Goode's picture all over the news and knew he was loose in his neighborhood. He says that is why when Goode knocked on his door, Howard, a martial arts instructor, was ready to take action.

"As I opened the door, I pulled it out. I said, 'freeze!'"

Mark Howard was armed and ready when 29-year-old David Goode knocked on his door. Goode was on the run from the Bradley County Sheriff's Office. He was wanted on aggravated assault charges.

"He said, 'Look, I've just got a knife on my side.' Well, that to me, is a threat," says Howard.

As Goode backed into the yard, he knew he would try to make a run for it, so Howard fired his gun.

"He was standing right here and you can see where my shot fired. I knew exactly where I was putting it," says Howard.

Goode thought he had been shot.

"A rock shot up and hit him on the leg and he jerks and he jumps down and starts screaming, 'You shot me! You shot me!' And I knew I didn't shoot him."

Howard says that is when his martial arts training kicked in.

"I told him, I said, 'Get up.' Now, at this point in time he knew that I was serious. He knew I wasn't playing around."

Howard ordered Goode up to his back porch.

"When he sat down, I said, 'Roll over.' My training. This is stuff that we go over and over and over. And so when he rolled over I said, 'Put your hands behind your back!' And he put his hand up and I grabbed the thumb and I grabbed the other thumb and when I did, I chicken-winged this arm, put this knee in the back of this bicep."

Howard says this is the first time in 18 years he has had to use his training outside the classroom.

When asked if Goode knocked on the wrong door, Howard answered, "No. He knocked on the right door. That's the way I look at it. If he knocked on the wrong door, someone would have been hurt."

He says he believes in second chances.

"I've got a totaled car and a scar on my hand from drinking and driving years ago. I can't go back and undo that. God spared my life. So now in the process of time, He's given me the opportunity to redirect people's lives and give them a reason to continue on," says Howard.

Howard's 76-year-old mother was inside the home and called 911 while he held Goode down on the porch. Goode was arrested and sits in the Bradley County jail on a more than $25,000 bond.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Joe Torrez cleared

'acted in self defense'

DA clears Torrez in Jan. 1 homicide
    28-year-old MMA fighter has maintained since Jan. 1 death of Sal Garces, 25, that he acted in self-defense
    By James Staley

jstaley@lcsun-news.com @auguststaley on Twitter
    Posted: 07/24/2014 11:04:04 AM MDT

Robin Zielinski - Sun-News Las Cruces attorney C.J. McElhinney, right, speaks with reporters Thursday while his client, mixed martial arts fighter Joe Torrez, 28, looks on. The two learned Thursday that Torrez will not be charged in the Jan. 1 death of Sal Garces, 25, of Las Cruces, which resulted from what Torrez described to authorities as a home invasion. (Robin Zielinski/ Sun-News)

LAS CRUCES >> For nearly eight months, Joe Torrez has maintained that he acted in self-defense when he killed one of four men accused of barging into his home New Year's Day.

Thursday authorities announced that Torrez, a 28-year-old mixed martial arts fighter, will not be charged in the death of 25-year-old Sal Garces, saying evidence does not exist to convict Torrez of wrongdoing.

"It was like a weight was lifted this morning," said Torrez, speaking publicly for the first time on the matter Thursday afternoon at his attorney's office. " ... No matter what, I had it in my mind."

That burden had been there since the early morning hours of Jan. 1, when, according to deputies, Garces and three other men went his former residence near Doña Ana, threatened Torrez and his young son, ransacked the mobile home, then fought.

Mixed martial arts fighter Joe Torrez speaks to the media for the first time Thursday since a Jan. 1 home invasion that left Sal Garces of Las Cruces dead. Torrez learned Thursday that he will not be charged by the district attorney in Garces' death. (Robin Zielinski — Sun-News)

At some point during the altercation, Torrez stabbed Garces — the autopsy report noted several injuries all over Garces' body, but stated four stab wounds to the chest caused his death. Garces was found dead about 100 feet from Torrez's home.

Torrez, wearing a black dress shirt and slacks, declined to detail the fatal fight Thursday, saying "I don't like to speak about it, myself. I don't wish that on nobody."

Torrez said it is difficult to think that he took another man's life, and those emotions have hindered his MMA career, but added "I was just trying to protect myself and my family. I didn't know what the outcome would be."

He expressed no ill will toward Garces.

"May he rest in peace," Torrez said. "He's a father like me."

Doña Ana County Sheriff's investigators said inconsistencies with initial statements Torrez made and what evidence showed are what kept Torrez under suspicion.

One example: Torrez told DASO he did not know Garces and the alleged intruders, but the investigation revealed a history of incidents between Torrez, his then-girlfriend and those charged with the break in.

Sal Garces

A fight earlier that night between a female friend of Torrez and another woman at Garces' home is what prompted a Garces, the three men and two other women to drive to Torrez's mobile home in the 600 block of King James Avenue, authorities said.

But there was still not clear evidence showing Torrez didn't act in self-defense. DASO investigators had sent weapons found near Garces' body to a state crime lab to have them tested. Torrez's DNA was not found on those weapons, officials said.

It was those test results that caused the process to take nearly eight months; they were the last piece DASO was waiting for, spokeswoman Kelly Jameson said.

Still, Jameson added, the homicide isn't considered closed. That part of the investigation is suspended, meaning DASO won't actively devote resources to it.

That could change.

Wrote Jameson in an email to the Sun-News: "This has been a complicated case from the beginning, and in the beginning DASO was committed to a complete and thorough investigation of the evidence we had. We asked for witnesses to come forward and tell us what they knew about the events of that night.

"Is there a possibility someone else (who we haven't talked to) was there that night and knows something critical to the case? It's a possibility, but until someone else comes forward with what we need to charge anyone criminally in the death of Sal Garces, this case can't go any further."

The other cases stemming from that night's incident — those against Garces' 19-year-old brother Raymond Garces, Leonard Calvillo, 23, Nathan Avalos, 20, Rachel Carrillo, 20, and Cylver Betancourt, 19 — are still awaiting trial.

Raymond Garces, Calvillo and Avalos all have been indicted on aggravated burglary, conspiracy, attempted battery and criminal damage to property charges. Only Avalos has yet to post bond, according to jail records.

Carrillo and Betancourt are facing aggravated burglary charges.

Torrez's attorney, C.J. McElhinney, said Thursday that Torrez would cooperate with authorities in those cases and he hopes to see them prosecuted. He had refused to talk with them, upon McElhinney's advice, since Jan. 2.

Trial for the three men has been set for Aug. 25. McElhinney last month said that prosecutors have approached him about plea deals.

"We're happy that we don't have to fight anymore," McElhinney said. "Now Joe can go on with the rest of his life."

For Torrez that means getting back to work. For several months he bounced around to different states, staying with relatives because of threats made against him.

He wants to continue MMA fighting, but said he worries that if he's put in a competitive fighting environment he could have flashbacks to Jan. 1 and snap.

"What I live for is my kids," he said of his two young children.

Torrez said community support during the past several months was uplifting. McElhinney started an online campaign shortly after the incident, and since then nearly 25,000 people have "liked" the "Support Joe Torrez" Facebook page.

There was also a web page to raise money for a possible legal defense. McElhinney said that money, about $3,000, went to court costs and to pay a private investigator. He said his firm has not billed for its work to help Torrez.

Garces' family could not be reached for comment.

James Staley can be reached at 575-541-5476.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Haven't the haters always said kung fu is dancing?

One of China's Dancing Grannies thwarts armed robbery attempt

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 4:11 PM EDT
    Courtesy NBC News

China's dancing grannies have been under attack by annoyed neighbors -- yelled at, set upon with water balloons, and threatened with angry dogs.

Those neighbors might want to think twice.

One of the dancing grannies -- a group of middle-aged women who gather in public spaces across China to dance to pop music as exercise -- reportedly took down an armed jewelry thief, mid-heist, last week.

According to the Global Times, a 35-year old man named Zhou entered a jewelry store in Taizhou, brandishing a knife. The store owner's elderly mother was chatting with a neighbor outside the shop, and sensed something was amiss. She rushed the robber, grabbing his arm from behind. A salesman then used a taser to subdue him.

The robber reportedly later asked police how the older woman was so strong. "Does she practice kung fu or something?"

The store owner replied that his mother kept in shape group dancing with other grannies.

"I pity the fool that has a run-in with my mother," said the owner.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Don't mess wid da mma! Click the link to see the video

http://www.click2houston.com/news/ga...ieves/27155936
    Score one for the good guys.

A southside convenience store clerk turned the tables on a pair of accused robbers on July 10 on South Wayside near Interstate 45.

Mayura Dissanyake works at a Fuel Depot, but he's also a semi-professional mixed martial arts fighter.

Quick Clicks
    Video of semi-pro MMA fighter knocking out robber goes viral
    He was behind the counter when he noticed his co-worker returning to the store after a run to the bank.

Dissanyake saw two men jump out of an SUV and attack his co-worker. They were trying to grab the bank bag he was carrying.

The store's surveillance cameras were recording as Dissanayake ran outside and kicked one of the alleged robbers in the face.

"The first guy I saw, I just kicked him in the face," he said. "Then I punched the other guy."

They were moves he learned from cage matches. Dissanyake has been involved with mixed martial arts for more than a decade. He says he was the national champion for five consecutive years in his native Sri Lanka.

"We learn how to punch, how to kick and all that stuff you can use in the streets," Dissanayake said.

In the video, you see the accused crooks begin their retreat and the getaway car getting further away. As they ran, Dissanayake threw a punch that knocked one of the men to the ground. His friends and accomplices left him there.

"I just kicked him until he lays down on the floor," he said. "Until he stopped moving cause I wasn't sure if he had a knife or a gun so I wanted him to stop moving."

Police arrested the man who was identified as 33-year-old Odell Mathis. He has been charged with robbery with bodily injury. His partner and the driver got away, but customers of the Fuel Depot still call this a feel good story.

Of course, everyone feels good except Mathis.

KPRC Local 2 asked the Houston Police Department for Mathis' mug shot, but they said he could be wanted for other crimes and want to use his mug shot for some lineups.

Keanu!

Keanu Reeves Super-Coolly Subdues Home Intruder
    9/19/2014 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
    EXCLUSIVE

0917-keanu-reeves-tmz-01

Keanu Reeves had his chance to reprise his famous line from "The Matrix" -- "I know Kung Fu" -- because we've learned a woman broke into his house while he was sleeping and plunked herself on his library chair.

Reeves was snoozing at 4 AM Monday when he heard sounds coming from his library ... yes, Ted "Theodore" Logan has a library.

The actor got up, walked in and saw a woman in her mid-40's sitting in his chair, not uttering a peep.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Keanu calmly approached her and began speaking to her. She explained she was there to meet him. He very calmly called 911 and obtusely told the dispatcher cops needed to roll quick.

Police came and took the woman into custody. She was taken for a psych evaluation.

It's another amazing story of an obsessed fan gaining entry into a celeb's house. It recently happened to Sandra Bullock ... the fan ended up at her bedroom door as she was sleeping. Interesting ... that's Keanu's "Speed" co-star.

Keanu lives in an area in the Hollywood Hills tour bus drivers call "Hunk Alley." Leo DiCaprio is his neighbor. Tobey Maguire used to live next door to Keanu. The drivers call out Keanu's house -- which is built like a fort, so it's just amazing someone broke in.

Here's what's even more amazing. Apparently he didn't set his alarm.
    just kidding.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice!

These are the stories I like to hear best.
    9 October 2014 at 4:34pm

Martial arts expert schoolgirl, 14, beats up attacker after he grabs her in a park

A would-be attacker who grabbed a 14-year-old girl was left battered and bruised after it turned out his attempted victim was a martial artist.

The schoolgirl was walking home alone through Tilgate Park in Crawley when the 35-year-old man grabbed her arms from behind, police said.

Despite being more than 20 years younger than him, the teenager, who has studied martial arts for several years, then managed to break free from his hold and proceeded to punch and kick the attacker.

The attempted attack was in Tilgate Park on Saturday morning.

Police arrested the man shortly after the attempted attack on Saturday morning and are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

He is described as being thin and around 5ft 7ins tall.
    Last updated Thu 9 Oct 2014
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips