Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Hybrid View

what a way to find a tumor

timely - we needed to ttt this thread with something fresh
    Martial arts master turns energy to helping others fight cancer
    By KEVIN CALLAHAN • Courier-Post Staff • June 3, 2008

PINE HILL — Master Dominick A. Giacobbe is the holder of an 8th Dan Black belt in the 2,000-year-old art of Tang Soo Do, Korean karate.

So, it is safe to say, not many fights scare him.

Except when his wife, Christina, first came down with cancer more than 30 years ago.

"We were scared, back in '74. In those days, if you had cancer, you died," Giacobbe said last week behind the desk of his karate school office, which is adorned with pictures of Giacobbe with famous people.

Christina is doing fine and Master Giacobbe is still fighting cancer by raising money with an annual karate tournament in Atlantic City.

Like the master martial artist he is, Giacobbe turned the pain, hurt and fear of cancer into a weapon to fight the disease.

When their first child was two weeks late, Christina had a cesarean section. A tumor was found on the pelvic bone. The tumor was malignant.

Giacobbe called the American Cancer Society. It was a life-saving call, not only for Christina but for the many cancer patients Giacobbe has helped over the years with his fundraising tournaments.

"I called the American Cancer Society and they said you can conquer it with your mind, by eating right and exercising," he said. "I said, that is what I teach in my martial arts class."

Giacobbe, 57, teaches three classes a day still at his popular Pine Hill facility. He has taught more than 10,000 students, including many professional athletes.

So, Giacobbe and his wife took the ACS advice and trained and ate well together and they embraced the positive attitude needed to survive.

"We said we would conquer this disease," he said.

When they did, Giacobbe made another call to the ACS. This time, he asked them what he could do to help them. He had felt so fortunate for their help and time, for their care and compassion.

"They never asked me for a penny, they were always so positive, I said I had to give something back," Giacobbe said. "They didn't call for donations, but they called because they were concerned for my wife. That is what inspired me."

Giacobbe, a graduate of Washington Township High School, turned his inspiration into perspiration. He went to work to raise money.

Giacobbe, who lives in Voorhees, first hosted a martial arts show in 1982 at Resorts International in Atlantic City. Then in 1985, he started doing a karate tournament and gave all the proceeds to the ACS.

To date, he has donated $585,000 to the ACS.

Giacobbe's goal is to raise $1 million.

"Some years I gave big chunks and some years small amounts. Maybe this year, I don't know, it might not be a big chunk because of the economy," he said.

Giacobbe, who was named Man of the Year in 2000 by Black Belt magazine, is attacking the goal with the same positive attitude he and his wife attacked cancer. And, Giacobbe is using the same positive attitude toward beating cancer he saw Sugar Ray Leonard use for his epic fight with Marvin Hagler.

"He was so positive," Giacobbe said about Sugar Ray, who asked him to help train him. "The odds were so much against him, but he was so positive that he made it happen."

In addition to Leonard, Giacobbe trained Evander Holyfield and Pernell Whitaker for several of their championship fights. A fighter is a fitting symbol for battling cancer.

Giacobbe, who has appeared on many TV shows, also trained Eagles players, including greats Reggie White and Mike Quick, when Buddy Ryan was the team's head coach.

Giacobbe, who recently returned from teaching karate in Ireland, Wales and Italy, also trains the regular guy. He teaches every class at his academy.

And, he passes onto his students the same message on the karate mat and in the street. He feels attacking cancer with a positive attitude is the way to beat the disease. He and his wife have already proved it works.

"Cancer can be conquered with the mind," he said. "That is better than any medicine you can take."

Giacobbe is passing his positive attitude and passionate fight against cancer onto the general public. He just wrote a book called "The Secrets For a Powerful Life (published by AuthorHouse).

"The book has a lot of philosophy. The greatest part of training for martial arts is all the philosophy," he said. "It is the martial arts philosophy that makes you a better person in life. It is the philosophy you take from martial arts, about the ability to defend yourself."

Giacobbe tells stories in the book to relate to readers.

"I call them secrets because the stories aren't written down," he said. "Masters handed them down to other masters."

Reach Kevin Callahan at (856) 317-7821 or kcallahan@courierpostonline.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dog Fu

How many of you train to defend against non-human opponents?
    Mankato man uses martial arts to rescue woman being attacked by dogs
    By Dan Nienaber and Brian Ojanpa
    Mankato Free Press
    Updated: 08/21/2009 07:28:57 AM CDT

Mankato police continue to investigate a dog-attack incident in which a woman was bitten before the dogs were fended off by a man using martial arts tactics.

Police said the incident happened about 6: 30 a. m. Tuesday in the Lincoln Park neighborhood when a woman outside her home was attacked by two Rotweilers.

Nearby resident Jesse Piotrowski, 28, said he was awakened by cries for help and went outside to see the woman lying on the ground.

He said that after he punched the dogs, one pulled back and the other attacked again.

After getting the woman back into her house, the dogs' owner came upon the scene and quieted them.

Piotrowski received bites on his leg during the fracas.

"The bite was nothing. The worst part was my toes. I basically jumped right out of bed, so the only thing I had on was my shorts."

He said pivoting on his feet martial arts-style while delivering the punches took a toll on his bare feet.

"That hurts worse than the bites. Funny side of the day," he said.

The name of the woman, who also broke her wrist during the incident, was not released, nor was the name of the dogs' owner pending possible criminal charges.

The owner reportedly told police he was putting the dogs in his yard when they got away from him.

Police said the dogs will be kept in isolation 10 days to determine whether they have rabies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    How many of you train to defend against non-human opponents?
    to be honest... i do - it develops inter-dependently with fighting human(oid) opponents, the only difference is actually training it. years ago i lived in florida and there was a neighborhood stray pitbull, "mocha", i spent alot of time getting it all wound up and then deflecting it's attacks - imagine pushing hands with a dog, much like jou tsung hwa was reknowned for pushing hands with his farm goat... which reminds me how much i miss my goat.

Martial arts trumps hammer in fight

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego State University student used his martial arts skills Monday night to disarm and take down a neighbor armed with a hammer, police said Wednesday.

Campus police arrived at Alberts College Apartments on 55th Street, near Canyon Crest Drive, about 10 p.m. and found James Bono Altamirano, 54, disarmed and on the ground, police agency spokesman Josh Mays said. Altamirano suffered minor injuries and was not in need of paramedics.

No one else was injured.

Mays said Altamirano was upset about a parking spot and knocked on his neighbors’ door, threatening them with a hammer. In self-defense, the 23-year-old resident knocked him down and took the man’s hammer.

Altamirano was arrested on suspicion of making threats with a deadly weapon.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-hammer-fight/
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

score another for kung fu

Masked robbers chased down the street by Kung Fu shop owner
    BASEBALL-BAT wielding thugs picked the wrong shop to raid when they burst into Darius Adineh's convenience store on Thursday night.
    By Sarah Ann Harris/Published 11th January 2014

BRAVE: Darius Adineh in his convenience store [MEN]

The reckless robbers hadn't bargained on running into the Kung Fu black belt and Special Forces veteran, who was working alone in the shop.

Darius, who has run Premier Convenience Store in Little Hulton, Salford, for the last three years, didn't take kindly to the masked raiders' demands to hand over cash from the till.

He told the yobs: "If you want the money you'll have to come and get it".

He then picked up a piece of wood and chased the thugs out of the shop and along Manchester Road East.

A customer dialled 999 and police raced to the scene but the offenders were able to escape on foot.
    THUGS: The robbers threaten Darius with a baseball bat [MEN]
    , I DON'T THINK SO: Darius tackles one of the thugs [MEN]

“I wasn't going to give up my hard-earned takings to some idiots”
    Darius Adineh

Darius, 44, moved to Britain back in 1994 after serving in the Special Forces of the Iranian Army during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.

During his time in the military he became a black belt in Kung Fu, which he still trains in up to four times a week.

Darius said: "I saw lots of gruesome things during the war.

"I know how to defend myself and it's like second nature. I wasn't scared.

"They weren't expecting someone like me to be there.

"When they saw my reaction they were just shocked."

He added: "Me and my wife work 16 hours a day. I wasn't going to give up my hard-earned takings to some idiots.

"I don't feel brave, I was just protecting what's mine."

ESCAPED: Police are looking for the two yobs [MEN]

Police are investigating the raid at 10:10pm.

The first offender was around 5ft7, slim, and was wearing a light coloured hoody with the hood up.

He was also wearing light coloured tracksuit bottoms and had his face covered, possibly with a scarf. He spoke with a local accent.

The second man was around 6ft, was wearing a red hoody, and also spoke with a local accent.

Anyone who knows who they are, or who has any information, should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
    Not the way to threaten some one with a bat...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for MMA

MMA fighter takes down armed robber in Burbank
    POSTED: AUG 30 2017 05:26AM PDT
    UPDATED: AUG 30 2017 05:26AM PDT

BURBANK, Calif. (FOX 11) - An armed robbery suspect found out the hard way that holding up a mixed martial arts studio is not an easy target.

Police said shortly after 9 p.m., a man walked into the Defiant MMA & Fitness studio in Burbank and pulled a gun on employees and customers.

An instructor, lightweight MMA fighter Jacobe Powell, knocked the gun out of the suspect's hand and pinned him down until police arrived to take him into custody, authorities said.

The suspect was left bloodied and taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Kudos to Jacobe Powell. Ain't no guns in the cage. It takes a special kind of dumb to pull a gun in an MMA studio.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for Karate

Karate Kid: Georgia boy fights off attempted kidnapper with martial arts
    Published August 31, 2017 Fox News

Sebastian Solache, 10, used his karate knowledge to ward off a would-be kidnapper near his home in Georgia. (Fox 5 Atlanta)

When a would-be kidnapper attacked 10-year-old Georgia boy Sebastian Solache, the child put his karate knowledge to the test.

An intruder approached the Solache home in Hall County late Tuesday afternoon, according to Fox 5 Atlanta. Solache was in the driveway when a man grabbed him from behind and attempted to drag him toward the back of a neighboring house.

The young boy decided to use his understanding of karate to protect himself from the stranger.

“He drags me and I elbow him in the ribs,” Solache told Fox 5. “From there he slammed me on the floor and ran.”

That’s when Solache ran into his home, where his mom discovered him frightened.

"I was fixing them something to eat when I heard him slam the door and lock it. He was just crying, having a panic attack. He told me, 'somebody tried to take me, mommy,’” Flor Solache said, before noting she saw the man running away when she looked out the window.

“I just felt proud of myself that I was able to escape,” Sebastian said.

Hall County Sheriff’s Deputy Stephen Wilbanks told Fox 5 that Sebastian did everything right during the encounter — screamed and fought back.

"Criminals and predators such as this are looking for easy prey. Our advice is, don't be that victim, fight with everything you have," Wilbanks said.

Investigators described the unknown man as white, with dark pants and a white shirt, with a black cloth covering his face.
    Karate gear here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nunchuks FTW!

This Successful Street Application is actually a Good Day, not a Bad Day for Wannabe Bruce Lees.

OKC apartment security guard uses nunchucks against knife-wielding man
    by KELSY SCHLOTTHAUER
    Published: Wed, June 13, 2018 11:59 AM Updated: Wed, June 13, 2018 2:00 PM

Oklahoma City police arrested a man at an apartment complex Friday after he reportedly tried to attack a security guard.

Jerome Dwayne Thompson, 31, was arrested on a complaint of assault with a dangerous weapon about 6:30 p.m. at Wentwood at Grand Hill apartments, 447 Tinker Diagonal St.

Thompson was booked into the Oklahoma County jail, where he remained Wednesday on a $3,000 bond.

The victim, a 31-year-old courtesy officer at the complex, told police Thompson was banned from the property but often stayed with residents.

The victim was putting up flyers referencing Thompson, whom he only knew as "J-Money," when he saw Thompson walking toward him with a steak knife in each hand, according to the police report.

Thompson told the victim he would not leave and that he "would have to kill him because he was about to kill [the victim]," according to the report.

The victim told police Thompson came toward him aggressively, so he pulled his nunchucks out of his pocket and struck Thompson. After a short struggle, the victim held Thompson until police arrived.

While held, Thompson made threats to come back and kill the victim, according to the report.

Police spokesman Master Sgt. Gary Knight said neither man was seriously injured.

"It's certainly something we don't see every day, somebody with knives fighting with somebody who has nunchucks," Knight said. "But thankfully, nobody was hurt, considering both of those types of weapons can do a lot of damage."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

score another for mma

There's an embedded news video behind this link. I didn't chase down the original instagram vid.

Video of San Diego MMA fighter taking down suspected burglar goes viral
    Sergio Hernandez takes down a suspected burglar at his fathers house in City Heights. Video of Sergio holding the suspect in a judo move has gone viral on instagram.
    Lyndsay Winkley

A man suspected of burglarizing a City Heights home on Monday likely regretted his decision after a resident — who happens to also be an experienced mixed martial arts fighter — spotted him and took him down.

A video of the incident, recorded by a neighbor, had been viewed more than 86,000 times as of 7 p.m. Monday.

Sergio Hernandez and his father had just returned from a trip to a mechanic when he spotted a stranger in the backyard of their 40th Street property.

“It was shocking,” Hernandez said. “He was just standing there, inside my yard.”

When Hernandez asked the man what he was doing, he said he was running from a dog. That’s when Hernandez noticed a nearby window was open, the screen on the ground.

The man bolted over a fence and Hernandez took off after him. When he caught up, Hernandez tried to convince the man to come talk to his father.

Hernandez had watched his dad resolve disputes before, even ones that involved a crime, without involving law enforcement. Once, when Hernandez was younger, another kid stole his bike. Instead of calling police, he said his father did a little “’hood investigating,” ultimately identifying the thief and persuading him to give the bike back.

This time, though, his father wanted to see the suspect in handcuffs. Hernandez said the alleged burglar ransacked three rooms in the house before fleeing.

Hearing that police were on the way, the man tried to get away, Hernandez said. That’s when Hernandez threw the man to the ground and put him in a triangle choke, which can be seen in a video of the encounter.

“It took at least five minutes for the cops to show up,” Hernandez said. “It may not seem like a long time, but when you’re holding a giant guy who's trying not go to jail, it feels like forever.”

Hernandez said he’s been practicing jujitsu for 13 years, and won a world title as a brown belt about four years ago. He’s also competed in four professional MMA fights.

When he’s not honing his fighting skills — either in the ring or against suspected criminals — he’s tattooing with his wife at their shop, Pop’s Tattoos in City Heights.

Hernandez said he’s just grateful no one was seriously hurt.

“I think the right thing happened, him going to jail,” he said. “I just didn’t want to take him at his word that he wasn’t going to do it again. I hope he doesn’t have any hard feelings.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sword for home defense

Not sure if this should go in Successful Street Applications or Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes. I suppose it depends if he does time for this.

Man killed when homeowner thrust 3ft samurai sword through door 'during break in'
    By Jonathan Coles Kelly-Ann Mills
    16:53, 15 JAN 2020
    NEWS

David Harris is on trial at Bristol Crown Court (Image: Tom Wren SWNS)

A man who was trying to "break in" to a home was killed by the resident, who thrust a 3FT samurai sword though the front door, a court heard.

Jonathan Roper, 34, was trying to get into the home of David Harris in a row over a mobile phone, the jury was told.

Harris then stuck the one meter long sword out of the entrance to his property where it went into Roper.

The weapon went 25cm into Mr Roper's stomach causing fatal damage to several organs and arteries and he bled to death on the pavement outside, it was said.

The victim and several people had arrived at the property to retrieve some money and a mobile phone they said had been taken the day before during a row, a court heard.

Witnesses in the home said the group had been trying to "break in" when the defendant shoved the sword through the door, Bristol Crown Court was told.

Jonathan Roper bled to death in the street (Image: SWNS)

Harris, 26, of Wells, Somerset, denies charges of murder and wounding with intent.

Anna Vigars, QC, prosecuting, said: "At no stage did David Harris shout a warning nor brandish the weapon. He simply responded by attacking those people outside.

"People are, of course, entitled to defend themselves. The question will be - how proportionately?

"An incident which at worst could have been punch-up on a doorstep instead resulted in the death of a man."

The trial was was told the incident happened at the property in Wells, Somerset when a group arrived at the home.

They were angry over a disagreement that took place in the home a day previously, it was said.

The court heard a group of teens had gone to the house - occupied by dad Adrian Harris and sons Jamie and defendant David - the day before to buy drugs.

But a "disagreement or dispute" ensued involving one of the youths and they all left soon after.

The house was cordoned off by police (Image: Somerset Live /SWNS.COM)

Mrs Vigars said: "There's some suggestion that a mobile phone was taken [during the dispute] or he was using a dodgy £20 note.

"There's some suggestion there was physical violence used towards him by the same people in the house."

This news of the incident was then relayed back to a group involving Jonathan and Lesley Roper.

The pair spent the following afternoon drinking in a pub before deciding with three others to confront the occupants of the house.

A witness inside the house, who is not being named, described hearing "aggressive banging" when the group first arrived.

Mrs Vigars said: "From upstairs she heard some shouting. She heard the door open and some really angry and quite low voices.

"David and Jamie ran downstairs. She could see the three of them [Adrian] pushing the door to get it shut. Jamie shouted at her not to come downstairs.

"When he came back up he said a group of men had been trying to break in. They went out onto the landing.

"She then saw what she described as a samurai sword and it had what looked like a lot of blood on it.

"David said something like: 'I've got someone'. He knew what he had done."

The weapon - shown to the jury - was described as "about a metre long"

The witness said she could see blood from "tip of the blade to the handle" following the incident, which happened in a matter of seconds

The family home in Wells was the scene of the incident (Image: Somerset Live /SWNS.COM)
    After Jonathan Roper had been hurt, Lesley Roper was also caught by the blade, causing a sizeable injury to his arm.

Mrs Vigars said: "[The witness] then heard the tap running. When [the sword] was examined it had David Harris' and Jonathan Roper's DNA.

"What is clear is this: Jonathan Roper and Lesley Roper were hurt by a weapon thrust out of the front door.

"The weapon [the witness] saw was covered in blood and David Harris took it into the bathroom to wash it.

"It's a weapon which is instantly and obviously capable of causing huge damage."

After being stabbed Jonathan Roper staggered to nearby Wookey Hole Road, where he bled to death on the pavement.

The trial continues.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for Gatka

Lone shopworker swiftly sees off THREE knife-wielding raiders - and reveals martial arts training gave her confidence to fight back
    Sundeep Kaur, 24, was working at a shop in Coulby Newham, North Yorkshire
    At around 2pm on Friday, three thugs burst in demanding she hand over cash
    Ms Kaur bravely defended her father's store - spraying the thugs with dye
    There have not yet been any arrests and police are appealing for information
    By JAMES WOOD FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 11:04 EST, 21 January 2020 | UPDATED: 11:56 EST, 21 January 2020

This is the incredible moment a brave shop worker fends of three knife-wielding attackers all by herself.

Sundeep Kaur, 24, was running her father's shop alone in Coulby Newham, North Yorkshire, when the hooded thugs walked in.

She said she knew it was 'fight or flight' time as the suspects burst in on Friday afternoon to demand cash.

But the thugs quickly found out they'd picked the wrong shop.

As one of the masked trio brandished a knife at her, brave Ms Kaur stepped towards them, whipped out a can of criminal identifier spray and aimed it at their faces.

One of the knife-wielding raiders appears to threaten Ms Kaur, urging her to hand over some cash

Brave Ms Kaur (pictured in front of her father's shop) whipped out some criminal identifier spray and began fighting back

The spray is a red gel which stays on the skin for around seven days.

'It's hard to really have time to think, the first thing to do was to defend myself,' she said.

'I kind of just saw the knife and I thought "I don't want to get hit by this." I pushed back and moved forward to them.

'I tried to aim in the face and get the ones trying to get away. They did run pretty quick,' she added.

'I don't really think it's a hero move. You can either fight or flight really.'

Incredibly, Ms Kaur took a moment to compose herself, rang the police, before continuing on with her shift as normal.

She said: 'I kind of just had a breather, police came and I started calming down.

'I just opened up again back to normal.

'I was just kind of glad they ran off.

'I felt a bit of an idiot in case I did get hurt, I was in two minds afterwards.'

After she fended off the attackers (pictured, spraying the thugs), Ms Kaur took a moment to compose herself, rang the police, before continuing on with her shift as normal

Ms Kaur, from Stockton, said the shop is run by her father, Gurcharan Singh, who's had it for around 10 years.

She says she's previously trained in Gatka, a Sikh martial art, something which gave her the confidence to stand up and be counted.

Police are now hunting the suspects.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: 'We can confirm that police are investigating an attempted robbery.

'No arrests at present. Inquiries are ongoing.'
    I gotta get me some of that gel.

THREADS
    Successful Street Applications
    Gatka
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for tkd

Good for Alijonova.

Charges dropped against woman trained in martial arts who beat two male harassers

The Interior Ministry said it had identified the woman and launched a criminal case against her for hooliganism but the move prompted a public outcry

Author of the article:Reuters
    Reuters
    Publishing date:Sep 14, 2020 • Last Updated 2 days ago • 1 minute read

Gulsanam Alijonova in Namangan Region, Uzbekistan, September 9, 2020. PHOTO BY TOIRBEK KOMILJONOV/REUTERS

ALMATY — Police in Uzbekistan dropped a criminal case on Monday against a young woman who beat up two men in response to verbal abuse, after a number of public figures including President Shavkat Mirziyoyev’s daughter spoke out in her support.

Local websites showed a video of Gulsanam Alijonova, 23, who has trained in boxing, karate and taekwondo, in which she chased and beat two men aged 30 and 33.

The video, shot in June, was shared and discussed on social media this month, but on Sept. 8 the Interior Ministry said it had identified the woman and launched a criminal case against her for hooliganism.

The move prompted a public outcry as Alijonova told local news website Daryo that the conflict had started when one of the two men ridiculed her T-shirt and shorts outfit and went on to insult her when she rebuked him.

Alijonova said the man grabbed her T-shirt when she confronted him, at which point she started throwing punches, and his companion tried to intervene.

Gulsanam Alijonova in Namangan Region, Uzbekistan, September 9, 2020. PHOTO BY TOIRBEK KOMILJONOV/REUTERS
    A number of bloggers and public figures, including Saida Mirziyoyeva, the influential elder daughter of the president, criticized the move to prosecute Alijonova, contrasting it with a lenient attitude shown in the former Soviet republic towards domestic violence committed by men against women.

On Monday, police in the Namangan province where the incident took place said in a statement they have dropped the case after the state agency for youth affairs and the local youth union vouched for Alijonova, citing her sports achievements, previously clean record and volunteer work.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Good for Alijonova.
    Gene,

It probably wasn’t her TKD she used, as the description of the fight is that she “started throwing punches.” More likely she was using her boxing or karate training. Older-style (ITF?) TKD was closer to its karate roots, and hands were trained a lot. The Olympic/sport-style TKD it looks like she practices (from the looks of her uniform) severely underemphasizes the use of punches/hands.

score another for judo

CRIME
    International judo competitor uses martial arts to disarm suspect in Kansas City

BY ANNA SPOERRE
    OCTOBER 27, 2020 01:04 PM, UPDATED OCTOBER 27, 2020 02:01 PM

Do you know what to do if you accidentally dial 911? Do you know what information is crucial in an emergency? Here's what you need to know to get the police, fire or ambulance service you need fast. BY MARK HOFFER

A Kansas City man used his professional martial arts training to disarm a man attempting to rob him Monday night, police said.

Josh Henges, of Kansas City, was walking home Monday evening when he felt someone grab his shoulder and press a gun against his back, according to a news release from the Kansas City Police Department.

Henges used to be a member of the USA Judo team. He told police he was heading back from a convenience store around 8:15 p.m. in the 4100 block of Warwick Boulevard when a 20-year-old man came up behind him.

As Henges turned around, the young man held the gun up to Henges’ forehead and told him to hand over his possessions, according to the news release.

The judo competitor and Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor then grabbed the suspect’s shoulder and disarmed him.

“Henges said he was able to use his training to take the suspect to the ground and restrain him,” the release read.

He called 911 while holding the attempted robber down.

“He was in grabbing range of me,” Henges told police, according to the release. “You don’t have to hurt him. You just hold him in place, and there’s no permanent injury.”

Officers arriving at the scene found the young man pinned beneath Henges. The suspect was taken into custody.

Police later said the weapon was a BB gun. They are expecting charges to be filed soon, according to the Tuesday afternoon release.

“Henges said he has compassion for the suspect and hope he gets the help he needs,” the release read.
    threads
    Successful-Street-Applications
    Judo
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for Muay Thai

Good Samaritan uses martial arts training to thwart attempted NYC kidnapping
    By Tamar Lapin November 16, 2020 | 11:03pm | Updated

A New Yorker put his martial arts skills to use and thwarted an attempted baby-snatching in a Big Apple park last week, pinning the perp down for 15 minutes until authorities arrived, he said Monday.

Brian Kemsley, a 33-year-old Muay Thai coach, stepped in when he saw a man trying to grab a baby inside a stroller from a woman who was also holding another child in her arms last Monday in Madison Square Park.

“I was trying to get him away from the mother, and let her get away to safety … But toward the end of it, I was also trying to keep the guy safe from the mob,” he told The Post.

The NYPD said it responded to the park that day around 3:35 p.m. for a report of an emotionally disturbed person, who was taken into custody and to Bellevue hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

The foiled kidnapping — first reported by PIX11 — was captured on cellphone footage showing Kemsley tackling the man to the ground and holding him there.

As he was holding him, Kemsley said, he realized that the man, who kept itching for a fight, was also unwell, at one point appearing to think he was speaking to President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.

PIX11
    Kemsley said that despite having trained in martial arts, including jiujitsu for a decade, he was “worried about passing out and losing my grip” by the end of the 15 minutes.

“Here’s the thing, I don’t enjoy jiujitsu, I don’t think training is particularly fun, but I have a lot of respect for it as it is absolutely essential in a street fight and self-defense,” he said in an Instagram post about the incident.

“I’d like to point out that when it comes to community security, that smashing someone should not be the priority,” he added in another post.

“We’re not suppose to show up with sticks and start beating people. The priority should always be to defuse the situation safely and as non violently as possible so we do not escalate the situation.”

After the ordeal, Kemsley said a bystander lent him a bottle of hand sanitizer that he “used in one shot.”

Then “everyone started clapping, everyone was grateful.”

“That was a very nice moment,” he recalled.
    There's a vid behind the link
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips