Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Score another for ... wait 'ju-jistu'?

Do they really spell it 'ju-jistu' in UK? I have enough issues with the jujitsu/jiu-jitsu spelling dilemma.

Girl uses ju-jitsu to fend off knifeman in Otley park
    4 September 2019

Alex Jeanguillaume said she had no choice but to use her martial arts training

A schoolgirl used her ju-jitsu skills to fight off a knifeman who tried to rob her and a friend during a spate of attacks in a park near Leeds.

Alex Jeanguillaume, 15, grabbed hold of the suspect and threw him to the ground when the pair were threatened in Wharfemeadows Park in Otley.

She said: "In these situations we're taught how to defend ourselves."

The attack was one of three knifepoint robberies which happened in the park on Friday, West Yorkshire Police said.

The student, who has been a member of the town's ju-jitsu club since the age of five, was with her friend Edwin Tosney when they were confronted and told to hand over their phones.

The teenager was with her friend in this shelter when they were threatened

She refused and the knifeman pulled the weapon as if he was about to stab her friend.

The teenager said: "I grabbed hold of his arm and shoulder and shoved him to the floor and we ended up grappling on the floor.

"He was shouting to let him go and he would run off. I was trying to hold on to him but he broke free and managed to escape."

Read more stories from across Yorkshire
    The youngster said her training had taught her to run off in such situations but because the pair were in an enclosed space she was forced to act.

"We are always taught to stay clam in such situations and I feel like if I didn't have my [training] I wouldn't have been able to prevent my friend from being stabbed."

Police said a 17-year-old boy and a 23-year-old man were threatened in two other attacks in the park on the same night.

They are looking at whether all three are linked to another robbery on a 19-year-old and his friend in Pool Road last Thursday.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Slightly OT

Bodybuilding isn't a martial art but dang, props to this lady. Willie Murphy TCOB

Female bodybuilder, 82, beats home intruder so badly he had to be taken to hospital
    By JON HAWORTH Nov 25, 2019, 10:06 AM ET

An 82-year-old award-winning female bodybuilder turned the tables -- literally -- on a home intruder and beat him so badly after he broke into her house that he had to be taken to the hospital.

Willie Murphy says she was getting ready for bed in her home in Rochester, New York, at around 11 p.m. when she heard pounding on her front door.

"[A man] was outside saying please call an ambulance because I’m sick, I’m sick," Murphy told ABC Rochester affiliate WHAM.

Murphy ended up calling police to get the man the help he requested but she didn’t let the man inside, which caused him to become angry, she said.

"I hear a loud noise, I’m thinking, 'what the heck was that,'" Murphy said. "The young man is in my home. He broke the door."

Murphy, who said she can deadlift 225 pounds and recently won a weightlifting competition earlier this year, was shocked but unperturbed.

"He picked the wrong house to break into," she said.

WHAM
    Willie Murphy, 82, speaks with WHAM's reporter in Rochester, N.Y., Nov. 22, 2019.

She grabbed the first thing she could -- a table. "I took that table and I went to working on him and guess what? The table broke!" she said.

The intruder immediately fell to the floor but the beat down didn’t stop there. "When he’s down I’m jumping on him," Murphy told WHAM, as she demonstrated how she stomped on him.

She then ran into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of baby shampoo next to the phone where emergency dispatchers were still on the line.

"There’s a bottle of baby shampoo on the table," said Murphy. "I grab the shampoo and guess what? He is still on the ground. In his face. All over it. The whole thing. He’s trying to get up and he’s pulling and I got the broom and he’s pulling the broom and I’m hitting him, I’m hitting him with the broom, hitting him and guess what? He wants to get the heck out of there … I had really did a number on that man, I’m serious. I think he was happy when he went in the ambulance."

When police officers finally arrived a few minutes later, the suspect was apprehended and Murphy was applauded by the first responders.

"The officers that came wanted to go on my front porch and take selfies with me," she said. "I’m alone and I’m old but guess what? I’m tough."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lol, i just watched this story and was coming to post it. kudos to her.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Narwhal tusk vs knife

London Knife Attacker Identified; Public Lauds Narwhal Tusk Takedown
    November 30, 20192:04 PM ET
    ALEXANDER TUERK

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson (second from right), Home Secretary Priti Patel (front center) and Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick (far left) attend the scene in central London on Saturday.
    Steve Parsons/AP

Metropolitan Police in London have confirmed that 28-year-old Usman Khan was the attacker who killed two people and wounded three others with a knife on London Bridge Friday before police shot and killed him.

Khan had been living in the Staffordshire area, north of Birmingham, police said. They said Khan had been known to authorities in Britain, having been convicted in 2012 of "terrorism offenses."

According to a 2012 article in The Guardian, Khan had been part of a nine-person plot to bomb the London Stock Exchange and build a training camp for terrorists. Although he had originally been sentenced to prison for public protection — an indefinite term until a parole board decided he was no longer a threat — his sentence was revised in 2013 to 16 years with an eight-year minimum, The Guardian reported.

Police said they are not actively seeking any other individuals connected to Saturday's attack and have confirmed that it was being investigated as a terrorist incident.

"[Khan] had been released a year ago on the provision that he had agreed to wear an electronic tag, submit to curfews and restrictions to his movements," Lucy Fisher, defense editor of The Times in London, said in an interview on NPR's Weekend Edition Saturday morning. Khan had been released on license, Britain's equivalent of parole, serving only eight years of his 16-year sentence.

"And it was while he was subject to these conditions that he performed this horrific attack yesterday," Fisher said.

Police said they were called to Fishmonger's Hall shortly before 2 p.m. local time, where Khan had attended a conference on criminal justice and prisoner rehabilitation, called "Learning Together," run by the University of Cambridge's Institute of Criminology. Khan had been wearing a fake suicide vest, police said, adding that the attack started inside Fishmonger's Hall. Khan stabbed "a number of people" inside the hall, police said, and The Times reported that one of the two killed died inside the hall.

"I am devastated to learn that today's hateful attack on London Bridge may have been targeted at staff, students and alumni," University of Cambridge Vice Chancellor Stephen Toope said in a statement posted online.

Police said Khan then left the building and moved to London Bridge, where he continued his attack before being apprehended by bystanders, one armed with a narwhal tusk, another with a fire extinguisher. Videos of the attack posted online show Khan being sprayed by a fire extinguisher as another man jabs forward with the tusk.

As Khan is tackled to the ground, a third individual wrests the knife out of Khan's hands and backs away, with police closing in with their guns out. They drag a bystander off Khan, then shoot and kill Khan. London Bridge and the surrounding area remain closed on Saturday, and police are asking anyone who was present at Fishmonger's Hall to come forward with any information.

Amy Coop, a director who attended the Learning Together conference, tweeted that the tusk, 5 feet in length and one of a pair flanking the entrance doors, had been taken off the wall by a man who rushed out of Fishmonger's Hall to follow Khan.

Amy Coop
    @theamycoop
    A guy who was with us at Fishmongers Hall took a 5’ narwhale tusk from the wall and went out to confront the attacker. You can see him standing over the man (with what looks like a white pole) in the video. We were trying to help victims inside but that man’s a hero #LondonBridge

12:34 PM - Nov 29, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    9,462 people are talking about this
    The Times reported that the tusk-wielder was a Polish man who had worked at Fishmonger's Hall, "setting up events and managing porters." The identity of the other individual with the fire extinguisher, or the origin of the extinguisher, is not known.

Those individuals who intervened to stop the attacker were lauded by both the public and British leadership, earning recognition from Queen Elizabeth II on down.

Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, said on BBC Breakfast that the civilians who intervened had no idea whether the suicide vest was real.

Sadiq Khan

@SadiqKhan
    I am in awe of the people who ran towards danger to keep us all safe. The bravery of the emergency services and ordinary Londoners is incredible. @bbcbreakfast:

Embedded video
    2:55 AM - Nov 30, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    396 people are talking about this
    "They ran towards him, to stop him from hurting other people. And I'm so proud, and we should all be really proud, of these people," Khan said.

In an interview on Sky News, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that those individuals represent "the best of our country."

Metropolitan Police Chief Cressida Dick echoed Johnson and Khan's sentiments in an interview near London Bridge Saturday morning.

"It's a terrible thing that people found themselves in that position, but as we saw the worst of humankind, we also saw the very best of human spirit and of London," Dick said.

Friday's attack reminded many of the 2017 London terrorist attacks. In March 2017, a car jumped the sidewalk on Westminster Bridge, killing five before the driver jumped out and stabbed a police officer to death. The driver was then shot and killed by another police officer.

In June 2017, a van plowed through pedestrians on London Bridge and crashed outside a pub on the south bank of the Thames, a short walk from Fishmonger's Hall. The rampage continued as three attackers got out of the van, pursuing and stabbing people, killing eight and wounding 48. The attackers had also been wearing fake suicide vests and were killed by police. ISIS had claimed responsibility for the June attacks.

With the country's general election scheduled on Dec. 12 a showdown between Johnson's Conservative Party and Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party, Britain's leadership and justice system now grapple with the question: How was a convicted terrorist released from prison eight years early, and how was he able to carry out this attack with an ankle bracelet monitoring his movements?

"For the Conservatives, there will be questions for the home secretary about why, only three weeks ago, she reduced the terror threat in the U.K. from severe to substantial," the Times' Fisher said, adding that cuts to police numbers could have had an impact on their surveillance of Khan.

And in the Labour Party, Corbyn has faced scrutiny over his vague stances on questions of national security, said Fisher. "This week, he was asked in an interview six times whether he would ever be prepared to give the order to kill a terrorist if that terrorist could not be safely apprehended," she said. "Six times he refused to say if he would give that kill order."

"In the minds of voters, there are questions about how secure the nation would be in his hands if he became prime minister," Fisher said.

Alexander Tuerk is an intern at Here & Now.

I'm posting this on the What Stands Out About TCMAists in The Ring? because when I searched 'narwhal', David's post there popped. Also posting it on Successful Street Applications because 'narwhal fu'.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

If I had said "when does the narwhal bacon" then the correct answer would be "midnight".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for KMD self defense

If you're going to challenge a school, bring your numbchucks.

There's a vid behind the link. It's a simple takedown. It's more amusing to see this dude at the school and how the class and instructor deals with it.

Surveillance video captures martial arts instructor taking down man who barged into a private class
    LOCAL NEWS
    by: Brittani Moncrease
    Posted: Dec 2, 2019 / 06:56 PM CST / Updated: Dec 2, 2019 / 06:57 PM CST

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) – A video of a man reportedly caught terrorizing two local business has gone viral. One was a Martial Arts studio. Surveillance video captured the moments an instructor had to take down a man interrupting a private session.

“I’m old. My knees are bad. My shoulder is bad,” said Michael Hooker, KMD Self Defense owner.

But, you couldn’t tell. Michael and Sara Hooker teach self defense.Never did they imagine actually using those techniques in their own studio.

“It’s definitely a little foreign,” said Sara.

On November 23rd, a man they’d seen before came into the building.

“When he came back this time, he had a bow staff with him. He was a little erratic, but not threatening,” said Michael.

“Within about 10, 15 minutes of him sitting down. He got up and started mimicking the movements,” said Sara.

Staff asked the man to stop, but he grew more disruptive and was asked to leave.

Michael said, “When he turned to my wife and yelled at her, I started to move in. He clenched his fist and I tied up with him.”

He held him until police came.

“He was very articulate. There were times where he was calling out the moves that I was holding him in. He obviously had some training to know these things,” said Michael.

Surveillance video captured the altercation.

Now, the duo uses it as a teachable moment.

“The one thing I think people can take away from this is they can see how quickly something can escalate from seemingly nothing to a full on confrontation,” said Sara.

As for the man, Sara and Michael hopes he receives help.

“I don’t think he needs jail time, but he needs to be in a facility that can help him recover from whatever it is he’s suffering from,” said Michael.

The man was detained, but not arrested after the altercation. Shortly after, he returned to the Family Dollar next door causing problems there. Police say following that incident, he was admitted for mental evaluation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for Jiu-Jitsu

Would be ROBBER caught in action in Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt own CAR!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What a way to get a UFC job...

JANUARY 10, 2020 / 8:37 PM / 3 DAYS AGO
    Mixed Martial Arts: UFC's White says he wants to hire woman who fought shoplifter
    2 MIN READ

FILE PHOTO: UFC fight promoter Dana White speaks on behalf of his friend, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, during the second session of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, Ohio, U.S. July 19, 2016. REUTERS/Mike Segar

(Reuters) - UFC president Dana White plans to fly a former Best Buy employee who thwarted an alleged shoplifting attempt in Hawaii to an upcoming UFC fight in Las Vegas and may even hire the woman, he said on Twitter on Friday.

Security footage that went viral showed Summer Tapasa-Sataraka, 24, battling a man trying to leave the store in Aiea with a speaker, using her forearms to block the exit and wrestling the man to the ground before he left empty handed.

“This is Summer. She stopped this punk from getting away with stealing from Best Buy in Hawaii.

“She got fired for this. Flying her in this weekend and giving her tickets to the McGregor vs Cowboy fight,” White said, referring to the Jan. 18 bout between Irishman Conor McGregor and Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone.

“I want her to work for me! Get ready for the best weekend of your life, Summer.”

In a Facebook post last month, Tapasa-Sataraka said she had seen the man steal from the store before and noticed him trying to walk away with the same item again.

“I just kept thinking ... not today!!” she wrote about the confrontation, which has been viewed millions of times online.

She added that she had already informed Best Buy of her plans to leave the company before the incident and harbored no ill will toward the electronics retailer.

On Friday, Tapasa-Sataraka reposted White’s offer on her Facebook page and suggested she was thrilled.

Reporting by Rory Carroll in Los Angeles; Editing by Clarence Fernandez
    THREADS
    Successful Street Applications
    Dana White
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sword for home defense

Not sure if this should go in Successful Street Applications or Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes. I suppose it depends if he does time for this.

Man killed when homeowner thrust 3ft samurai sword through door 'during break in'
    By Jonathan Coles Kelly-Ann Mills
    16:53, 15 JAN 2020
    NEWS

David Harris is on trial at Bristol Crown Court (Image: Tom Wren SWNS)

A man who was trying to "break in" to a home was killed by the resident, who thrust a 3FT samurai sword though the front door, a court heard.

Jonathan Roper, 34, was trying to get into the home of David Harris in a row over a mobile phone, the jury was told.

Harris then stuck the one meter long sword out of the entrance to his property where it went into Roper.

The weapon went 25cm into Mr Roper's stomach causing fatal damage to several organs and arteries and he bled to death on the pavement outside, it was said.

The victim and several people had arrived at the property to retrieve some money and a mobile phone they said had been taken the day before during a row, a court heard.

Witnesses in the home said the group had been trying to "break in" when the defendant shoved the sword through the door, Bristol Crown Court was told.

Jonathan Roper bled to death in the street (Image: SWNS)

Harris, 26, of Wells, Somerset, denies charges of murder and wounding with intent.

Anna Vigars, QC, prosecuting, said: "At no stage did David Harris shout a warning nor brandish the weapon. He simply responded by attacking those people outside.

"People are, of course, entitled to defend themselves. The question will be - how proportionately?

"An incident which at worst could have been punch-up on a doorstep instead resulted in the death of a man."

The trial was was told the incident happened at the property in Wells, Somerset when a group arrived at the home.

They were angry over a disagreement that took place in the home a day previously, it was said.

The court heard a group of teens had gone to the house - occupied by dad Adrian Harris and sons Jamie and defendant David - the day before to buy drugs.

But a "disagreement or dispute" ensued involving one of the youths and they all left soon after.

The house was cordoned off by police (Image: Somerset Live /SWNS.COM)

Mrs Vigars said: "There's some suggestion that a mobile phone was taken [during the dispute] or he was using a dodgy £20 note.

"There's some suggestion there was physical violence used towards him by the same people in the house."

This news of the incident was then relayed back to a group involving Jonathan and Lesley Roper.

The pair spent the following afternoon drinking in a pub before deciding with three others to confront the occupants of the house.

A witness inside the house, who is not being named, described hearing "aggressive banging" when the group first arrived.

Mrs Vigars said: "From upstairs she heard some shouting. She heard the door open and some really angry and quite low voices.

"David and Jamie ran downstairs. She could see the three of them [Adrian] pushing the door to get it shut. Jamie shouted at her not to come downstairs.

"When he came back up he said a group of men had been trying to break in. They went out onto the landing.

"She then saw what she described as a samurai sword and it had what looked like a lot of blood on it.

"David said something like: 'I've got someone'. He knew what he had done."

The weapon - shown to the jury - was described as "about a metre long"

The witness said she could see blood from "tip of the blade to the handle" following the incident, which happened in a matter of seconds

The family home in Wells was the scene of the incident (Image: Somerset Live /SWNS.COM)
    After Jonathan Roper had been hurt, Lesley Roper was also caught by the blade, causing a sizeable injury to his arm.

Mrs Vigars said: "[The witness] then heard the tap running. When [the sword] was examined it had David Harris' and Jonathan Roper's DNA.

"What is clear is this: Jonathan Roper and Lesley Roper were hurt by a weapon thrust out of the front door.

"The weapon [the witness] saw was covered in blood and David Harris took it into the bathroom to wash it.

"It's a weapon which is instantly and obviously capable of causing huge damage."

After being stabbed Jonathan Roper staggered to nearby Wookey Hole Road, where he bled to death on the pavement.

The trial continues.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for Gatka

Lone shopworker swiftly sees off THREE knife-wielding raiders - and reveals martial arts training gave her confidence to fight back
    Sundeep Kaur, 24, was working at a shop in Coulby Newham, North Yorkshire
    At around 2pm on Friday, three thugs burst in demanding she hand over cash
    Ms Kaur bravely defended her father's store - spraying the thugs with dye
    There have not yet been any arrests and police are appealing for information
    By JAMES WOOD FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 11:04 EST, 21 January 2020 | UPDATED: 11:56 EST, 21 January 2020

This is the incredible moment a brave shop worker fends of three knife-wielding attackers all by herself.

Sundeep Kaur, 24, was running her father's shop alone in Coulby Newham, North Yorkshire, when the hooded thugs walked in.

She said she knew it was 'fight or flight' time as the suspects burst in on Friday afternoon to demand cash.

But the thugs quickly found out they'd picked the wrong shop.

As one of the masked trio brandished a knife at her, brave Ms Kaur stepped towards them, whipped out a can of criminal identifier spray and aimed it at their faces.

One of the knife-wielding raiders appears to threaten Ms Kaur, urging her to hand over some cash

Brave Ms Kaur (pictured in front of her father's shop) whipped out some criminal identifier spray and began fighting back

The spray is a red gel which stays on the skin for around seven days.

'It's hard to really have time to think, the first thing to do was to defend myself,' she said.

'I kind of just saw the knife and I thought "I don't want to get hit by this." I pushed back and moved forward to them.

'I tried to aim in the face and get the ones trying to get away. They did run pretty quick,' she added.

'I don't really think it's a hero move. You can either fight or flight really.'

Incredibly, Ms Kaur took a moment to compose herself, rang the police, before continuing on with her shift as normal.

She said: 'I kind of just had a breather, police came and I started calming down.

'I just opened up again back to normal.

'I was just kind of glad they ran off.

'I felt a bit of an idiot in case I did get hurt, I was in two minds afterwards.'

After she fended off the attackers (pictured, spraying the thugs), Ms Kaur took a moment to compose herself, rang the police, before continuing on with her shift as normal

Ms Kaur, from Stockton, said the shop is run by her father, Gurcharan Singh, who's had it for around 10 years.

She says she's previously trained in Gatka, a Sikh martial art, something which gave her the confidence to stand up and be counted.

Police are now hunting the suspects.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: 'We can confirm that police are investigating an attempted robbery.

'No arrests at present. Inquiries are ongoing.'
    I gotta get me some of that gel.

THREADS
    Gatka
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for wooden swords

Get your wooden swords here.

NYC bodega worker fends off would-be robber with wooden sword
    By THEODORE PARISIENNE and THOMAS TRACY
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
    FEB 01, 2020 | 5:02 PM

Alomari Saleh told the Daily News he was working at the Community Grocery and Candy Store on E. 14th St. near First Ave. around 7 a.m. when suspect Zachariah Vasquez charged in with a wooden sword and demanded money from the register. (Theodore Parisienne/for New York Daily News)

A brazen East Village bodega worker fended off a would-be robbery suspect Saturday morning — with a wooden sword stashed behind the counter.

Alomari Saleh told the Daily News he was working at the Community Grocery and Candy Store on E. 14th St. near First Ave. around 7 a.m. when suspect Zachariah Vasquez charged in and demanded money from the register.

As the two fought, Saleh pulled out the carved blade from behind the counter and struck Vazquez, 28, in the head with it.

Zachariah Vazquez, 28, ended up running off and getting with a head injury and was arrested by police, who charged him with attempted assault following the clash with Alomari Saleh inside the Community Grocery and Candy Store on E. 14th St. near First Ave. (Theodore Parisienne/for New York Daily News)

Vasquez was arrested a short while later after Saleh called the cops, and charged with attempted assault. He was also taken to the hospital with a minor head injury.

His arraignment was pending Saturday in Manhattan Criminal Court.

Thomas Tracy
    New York Daily News
    Born and bred in Brooklyn, crime reporter Thomas Tracy has been covering the NYPD for more than a decade. He joined the Daily News in January 2013.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for Kung Fu?

Chinese anti-coronavirus inspector uses his kung fu moves to prevent a man from returning to his home after his village was locked down
    A video shows the villager arriving on his bike and trying to go back home
    The officer performs martial art moves to prevent the resident from crossing
    The intimidated man then gets back on his motorbike and rides off in a hurry
    The village has reportedly imposed self-isolation measures amid the outbreak
    Coronavirus has killed 2,705 people and infected over 80,326 people globally
    By EMILIA JIANG FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 06:44 EST, 25 February 2020 | UPDATED: 09:18 EST, 25 February 2020

A Chinese officer has been caught on camera performing martial art moves to stop a villager from returning to his home after his village was locked down due to the coronavirus.

The video shows the community worker and his colleague standing guard behind a red ribbon stretched across the entire width of a road, preventing outsiders from entering.

The male resident is seen in the footage arriving on his small electric bike and trying to cross the blockade.

The video shows the community worker and his colleague standing behind a red ribbon stretched across the entire width of a road, blocking outsiders from entering the area

The villager is pictured trying to enter his neighbourhood. He is taken by surprise when the inspector screams and performs a back flip, followed by another spinning sweeping kick

The cyclist says to the two black-suited officers: 'Just for a short while. I want to go home and have a look.'

The villager is taken by surprise when the inspector screams and performs a backflip, followed by a spinning sweeping kick.

The officer then does another kung fu move while the intimidated traveller gets back on his motorbike and rides off in a hurry.

The officer then does another kung fu move to prevent the visitor from crossing the blockade

The traveller, who appears to be scared, gets back on his motorbike and rides off in a hurry

It is believed that the incident took place in Shandong Province, eastern China as the visitor speaks with a heavy local accent.

The officer was allegedly one of the volunteering villagers who acted as checkpoint security guards during the coronavirus outbreak.

The village has reportedly imposed self-isolation measures amid the deadly epidemic, with no one allowed to enter or leave the area.

The village has reportedly imposed self-isolation measures amid the epidemic of coronavirus. The picture shows villagers with masks guarding a checkpoint in a rural area of Beijing, China

Villages across China have reportedly set up temporary fences in an effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak. A villager in Beijing is seen driving his tractor through a checkpoint

The picture shows passengers with masks travelling on the underground in Shanghai, China

The novel coronavirus, which was first discovered in Wuhan, has so far killed 2,705 people and infected over 80,326 people globally.

Iran's coronavirus death toll has risen to 15 today with the regime refusing to seal off the holy city at the centre of the crisis and pilgrims spreading the virus around the Middle East.

Italy now has at least seven deaths as the country imposes drastic security measures to contain the first major outbreak in Europe.

People are seen wearing protective masks walking through a market in Wan Chai, Hong Kong

The novel coronavirus has killed 2,705 people and infected over 80,326 people globally

South Korea has confirmed an additional 84 cases of the coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections nationwide to 977.

China's top legislative committee on Monday passed a proposal to ban all trade and consumption of wild animals, a practice believed responsible for the country's deadly disease.

Experts believe that the new coronavirus has been passed onto humans by wildlife sold as food, especially bats and snakes.
    THREADS
    COVID-19
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

score one for swords!

Attempted Wicker Park rapist, scared off by man wielding Medieval Times sword, pleads guilty
    A statement from a woman who survived the attempted assault in Wicker Park in 2017 was read in court that said the incident left her ‘shattered’ but that she was healing.
    By Mitch Dudek Jul 16, 2020, 5:47pm CDT

Mac Dolan outside his Wicker Park apartment with a Medieval Times sword he used to scare off an intruder who was trying to rape a female guest sleeping on his couch. Max Herman / Sun-Times file

A man whose attempt to rape a woman in a Wicker Park apartment was interrupted by a sword-wielding “Game of Thrones” fan pleaded guilty Thursday, more than three years after the attack.

Francisco Chavez, 42, who’s been held in jail without bail since his arrest, pleaded guilty to charges that included aggravated criminal sexual assault and was sentenced to five years in prison, according to a Cook County state’s attorney’s spokeswoman.

Chavez sneaked in to the apartment in the morning hours of June 23, 2017.

Mac Dolan, who was 25 at the time and lived at the apartment, awoke at 5 a.m. to the sound of screaming. He hopped out of bed, flicked on the lights and saw a man he didn’t know punching, choking and trying to rip the clothes off a female guest who’d crashed on his living room couch after a night out.

“I saw the guy standing over her, and she was kicking and screaming,” Dolan told the Chicago Sun-Times days after the attack. “And I just started yelling and running at the guy basically and grabbed the sword that we have on the wall and chased him toward the back stairs.”

It was a 44-inch-long, 10-pound sword that he purchased for $100 weeks earlier during a trip to Medieval Times — a restaurant/theater where dinner is served up with jousting and other knightly theatrics in a space resembling a castle.

Chavez took a moment to register what Dolan was doing.

“He didn’t really start running until he saw me grab the sword,” said Dolan, a software consultant. “Then, he went bug-eyed. When I got to the landing at the top of the stairs, I took one cut at him with the sword, but he ducked, and I missed and dented the wood railing.”

Chavez ran down the stairs. Dolan went back to check on the bruised and rattled woman, call 911 and wake a friend visiting from Boston who’d slept through it all on a couch several feet away.

“While we were waiting for police to arrive, I found the guy’s wallet on the ground,” Dolan said. “It must have fallen out of his pocket.”

Around the time the police got there, Chavez walked into a nearby police station in Logan Square and reported he’d been the victim of a robbery, that his wallet was stolen.

Officers ran a search on his name and discovered he was wanted for the attack in Dolan’s apartment.

At the time, Dolan could barely believe what had happened, especially given that he and his then-roommate had spoken more than once about using the sword if someone broke in to their apartment.

A written statement from the woman who survived the attack was read by a prosecutor during a court hearing Thursday. The woman, a musician who was in her late 20s at the time of the attack, said she used concealer on her wounds and played a show the following day.

But, as time went on, she said she suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and found herself “shattered” as her life began to unravel.

She said she’s gone through therapy, is healing and expressed hope Chavez could, too.

“I sincerely hope that you are able to heal wherever you are hurt,” she said in the letter.
    Everyone should have a sword lying about.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score another for tkd

Good for Alijonova.

Charges dropped against woman trained in martial arts who beat two male harassers

The Interior Ministry said it had identified the woman and launched a criminal case against her for hooliganism but the move prompted a public outcry

Author of the article:Reuters
    Reuters
    Publishing date:Sep 14, 2020 • Last Updated 2 days ago • 1 minute read

Gulsanam Alijonova in Namangan Region, Uzbekistan, September 9, 2020. PHOTO BY TOIRBEK KOMILJONOV/REUTERS

ALMATY — Police in Uzbekistan dropped a criminal case on Monday against a young woman who beat up two men in response to verbal abuse, after a number of public figures including President Shavkat Mirziyoyev’s daughter spoke out in her support.

Local websites showed a video of Gulsanam Alijonova, 23, who has trained in boxing, karate and taekwondo, in which she chased and beat two men aged 30 and 33.

The video, shot in June, was shared and discussed on social media this month, but on Sept. 8 the Interior Ministry said it had identified the woman and launched a criminal case against her for hooliganism.

The move prompted a public outcry as Alijonova told local news website Daryo that the conflict had started when one of the two men ridiculed her T-shirt and shorts outfit and went on to insult her when she rebuked him.

Alijonova said the man grabbed her T-shirt when she confronted him, at which point she started throwing punches, and his companion tried to intervene.

Gulsanam Alijonova in Namangan Region, Uzbekistan, September 9, 2020. PHOTO BY TOIRBEK KOMILJONOV/REUTERS
    A number of bloggers and public figures, including Saida Mirziyoyeva, the influential elder daughter of the president, criticized the move to prosecute Alijonova, contrasting it with a lenient attitude shown in the former Soviet republic towards domestic violence committed by men against women.

On Monday, police in the Namangan province where the incident took place said in a statement they have dropped the case after the state agency for youth affairs and the local youth union vouched for Alijonova, citing her sports achievements, previously clean record and volunteer work.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Good for Alijonova.
    Gene,

It probably wasn’t her TKD she used, as the description of the fight is that she “started throwing punches.” More likely she was using her boxing or karate training. Older-style (ITF?) TKD was closer to its karate roots, and hands were trained a lot. The Olympic/sport-style TKD it looks like she practices (from the looks of her uniform) severely underemphasizes the use of punches/hands.

Score one for whatever bat style Miss Kitty uses

SEPTEMBER 30, 2020
    82-year-old woman saved from intruder attack by bat-wielding elderly neighbor with martial arts skills
    Police officers say they were impressed by 'Miss Kitty's' aggressiveness

Image Source: YouTube screenshot
    CARLOS GARCIA

An 82-year-old woman was saved from a harrowing attack by a male intruder when her friend and bat-wielding neighbor beat him down with her martial arts skills.

The stunning incident unfolded in Fontana, California, a suburban city east of Los Angeles.

Elizabeth McCray told KTLA-TV that she was attacked by a man who broke into her apartment and jumped on her while beating her down.

Her cries alerted her friend and neighbor Lorenza "Miss Kitty" Marruja, who rushed over with martial arts skills.

The 67-year-old Marruja told KTLA that the man had tried to attack her before he moved on to McCray's apartment, and that

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Gene,

It probably wasn’t her TKD she used, as the description of the fight is that she “started throwing punches.” More likely she was using her boxing or karate training. Older-style (ITF?) TKD was closer to its karate roots, and hands were trained a lot. The Olympic/sport-style TKD it looks like she practices (from the looks of her uniform) severely underemphasizes the use of punches/hands.
    I'm not going to split hairs on this one although you're probably right. It was the TKD uniform pic that made me grab that style (and thanks for giving me the excuse to hyperlink to our forum sponsors )
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips