Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm always a little skeptical of teenagers telling stories like this, but we'll give Kyle the benefit of the doubt for now.
    Kyle was discharged after a "brief stint" in the armed forces. I wonder on what grounds was he discharged?
    I dunno. My "Spidey Sense" tells me it sounds more like Kyle is prone to exagerration.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Anyone here from Bridgeport, CT of Richmond, VA?
    Richmond area in the house. We'll see what Norwood can do, and FWIW one of the guys I train with is a Richmond cop.

Out of shape? By his standards, perhaps. By everyone else's standards, Norwood appears fit, trim and eager to run. Norwood is, in fact, an ardent practitioner of martial arts, in particular judo, Brazilian jujitsu and taekwondo. Long-distance running, he said, is a training tool that prepares him for and enhances his participation in those undertakings.
    http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports...1-14-0103.html

Good luck to Chief Norwood, he seems like a decent guy.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I totally concur with the concluding quote.

I suffer from chronic pain (possibly from a lifetime of martial arts, but we won't dwell on that ). I attribute my pain tolerance to my martial arts practice.
    Montefiore class gives cancer kids new weapon
    BY KATHLEEN LUCADAMO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Thursday, December 11th 2008, 4:00 AM
    Mendez for News

Kids Kicking Cancer class with program director Angela Babin. From left: Timothy Gordon, 10; Kevon Edwards, 11; Hahssan Cheaver, 6, Misha McKay, 17, and Michael Santiago, 11.

When Timothy Gordon throws a karate kick, the 10-year-old Bronx boy has a fierce opponent in mind - the sickle cell anemia piercing through his body.

"I think of kicking sickle cell anemia when I fight because I've been admitted to the hospital 11 times for it," said Gordan after completing a few chops and shouting "Hiya!"

Gordon is one of a handful of children participating in a martial arts class at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx aimed at helping youngsters with debilitating diseases cope with pain and anxiety.

The kids, ages 6 to 17, practice breathing techniques, meditation and martial arts moves once a week, tools they regularly use when getting shots, suffering with aches or feeling overwhelmed.

"These children are already on a lot of medication, so it's a nice, nonpharmalogical approach to pain management," said Dr. Karen Moody, co-director of integrative and palliative care at Montefiore Children's Hospital.

There is little scientific proof that popular alternative approaches significantly reduce pain, Moody admits, but the belly laughs in class prove they bring loads of smiles to sick kids.

"It feels like all the pain I have goes away in class, especially during meditation," said Kevon Edwards, an 11-year-old suffering from sickle cell anemia.

The martial arts program, called Kids Kicking Cancer, was started five years ago in Detroit by a rabbi who lost a daughter to leukemia. Since then, it has expanded to six New York hospitals, beginning at Montefiore in 2006.

The class also includes siblings of children with diseases, and bedside sessions are available for hospital-bound children.

"Martial arts is portable. You can do it in your hospital room; you don't need to see a ball. It doesn't matter if a kid has a IV pole or can't walk," said the program's instructor, Angela Babin.

During her intimate class held in a first-floor conference room, Babin holds a punching pad and stacks blocks for children to kick over.

"Whenever Angela comes in with her pads and says, 'You want to punch something?' they always say, 'Yes,'" said Dr. Moody.

But the children said they most benefit from the meditation at the beginning and end of class, techniques they say help them to focus on homework when they go home and distract them from painful shots in the hospital.

During a recent class, Babin asked the kids to describe darkness, causing them to shout out, "Cancer!" "Sickle cell!" and "Stomach pain!" Then she told them to breathe it out and breathe in the light.

Big exhalations could be heard, followed by deep inhalations.

"The breathing gets you to feel light in your body," said 6-year-old Hahssan Cheaver, who has sickle cell.

"It helps you get ready to fight pain."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

thats awesome.

i love reading/listening to peoples life stories about how martial arts effected their health. some times bringing them back from what could be the brink of death due to bad life choices and habits.

hearing about kids like these sure puts fighting into perspective.

some kids are using martial arts to literally fight for their lives against themselves.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

oh and i totally feel your pain man, to quote Iron Mike:

"I have some pain I'm gonna have for the rest of my life. So every now and then I kick your f**king ass."
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

nice one

five seconds seems a little long for that move...
    Man learns the hard way not to threaten martial-arts expert
    By Chris Freiberg
    Originally published Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 12:00 a.m.
    Updated Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 11:39 a.m.

FAIRBANKS — A Fairbanks man got more than he bargained for when he pulled a gun on a veteran martial artist last week.

Jeffrey Walker, 44, said he was minding his own business shortly after midnight Wednesday at Townhouse Apartments when he received a call from the neighbor below him that his two year-old was being too loud.

“He just starts berating me, saying that if I can’t shut the kid up, he’ll shut him up,” Walker said.

Walker, a former firefighter who has lived in Fairbanks for only about a year, thought his neighbor would call the police or the apartment manager to complain.

Instead he showed up at Walker’s front door with a .45-caliber handgun. Walker, who has studied the self-defense system of bojuka since he was 25, leapt into action when he saw the man pull the gun out of his hoodie.

Walker grabbed the barrel of the gun and lifted it up with his left hand while simultaneously using his right hand to push the assailant’s wrist and arm into his own head, effectively using the butt of the gun like a hammer.

“It only took about five seconds,” Walker said.

While his girlfriend called police, he continued to hit the man until he stopped resisting, though he says the instructor who taught him the disarming move wouldn’t have been so kind.

“My instructor would have shot him after taking it away,” he said.

Walker began studying bojuka when he was 25. Its creator claims that it teaches people who to eliminate threats with a variety of blocks, grapples and strikes that are committed to muscle memory. While studying bojuka, Walker was able to reach level 3, which is the grade just below becoming an instructor.

“The guy who taught me said at the time ‘Right now you have to make a conscious decision you are going to do this if it’s ever going to happen. You can’t hem and haw,’” Walker said.

He felt that if had not disarmed the man, he was going to be shot, as well as his girlfriend and child. Instead, he was able to disarm Eric E. Backlund, 38, of Fairbanks without a shot being fired. Backlund has been charged with third-degree assault, a felony, in connection with the incident.

When police arrived on the scene, they found him sitting in a pool of his own blood with Walker standing over him. He was treated for facial lacerations at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital before being arrested.

He later told police that bringing a gun into the situation was “monumentally stupid,” according to a criminal complaint filed in court.

Fairbanks police Sgt. Robert Thompson said that there was no doubt that Walker acted in self-defense, but he warned that the situation could have had a very different outcome.

“You don’t want to try to disarm someone if they have a gun in that situation unless there’s no other option,” Thompson said. “But it’s not something that I would recommend.”

Thompson said that in nearly 20 years on the police force, it was the first time he had heard of a civilian successfully disarming someone with a gun.

As for Walker, he was packing up to move Monday morning in case his alleged assailant got out on bail.

“I told the owner of the apartment complex I don’t feel safe here,” he said. “He could start shooting through the floor next time.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How about a successful pageant application?

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I knew I had to post this on our forum somewhere...

Amazing Art must See 60th Narcissus Pageant
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I knew I had to post this on our forum somewhere...

Amazing Art must See 60th Narcissus Pageant
    Well done.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Simply brilliant
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

five seconds seems a little long for that move...
    heyyyyy i meant the whole incident not just the disarm

Daffodil vs Narcissus

A successful street application that can get you on Ellen

February 10, 2009 | Posted at 6:00 AM
    An Unbelievable Speed Painting Demonstration!

Lisa Wong decided to take up speed painting as her pageant talent after being inspired by an episode of Ellen! Watch and you'll see how quickly she picked up the skill and added a whole new dimension -- by painting with the canvas upside down!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A successful street application that can get you on Ellen
    impressive. the fact that she had a kungfu atmosphere to her performance, and that she painted bruce lee made it actually worth watching. plus she's a cutie.

although to be fair, she didnt really paint it just upside down, but from 3 angles it looked like.

now if she could do taht on a constantly rotating canvas, i would be very impressed.

i didnt know you were such a big ellen fan gene.

nice one

Would-Be Thief Gets Martial Arts Surprise

Thieves usually have to be worried about being knabbed by the police, not homeowners

Being a cat burglar isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sure there's the adrenaline rush of getting away with a bag full of cash and jewelry, but as one German thief found out, it isn't always an easy task.

A general warning to any would-be robbers out there: make sure your intended victim isn't actually a martial arts expert.

Police in the northern German city of Bremen say a 25-year-old thief snuck into house in the port city, made his way upstairs to a bedroom, and began to go through drawers and cupboards looking for anything of value.

There was plenty to take, it seems, in the form of jewelry, but the robbery was cut short when the intended victim -- who just happened to have a black belt in judo -- used his martial arts expertise to overpower the intruder and hold him until police arrived.

Police say the thief, whose name has not been released, was carrying a knife and could be the man they've been looking for in connection to other robberies in the area. He is being held by the district attorney's office in the nearby town of Lueneburg.
    Lucas - I had a girlfriend that was into stand-up comedy, so I caught Ellen way back in the day and thought she was funny. I didn't follow her on TV, but I thought she was good in Nemo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

San Leandro

I used to train in San Leandro. Five&Dime represents!
    Self-Defense Strategy Thwarts Kidnap-Attempt on Boulevard
    By : Robert Souza : 5/19/09

The self-defense lessons 14- year old Devin Ervin learned in Ron Esteller’s Martial Arts classes helped him get out of a dangerous and frightening situation that unfolded on Castro Valley Boulevard last month.

At Esteller’s busy San Leandro studio, Ervin explained he was heading home from visiting a friend one night and ****zed past a homeless man near Wisteria on his skateboard when another man flagged him down with a $5 bill in his hand, asking him to take the money and hand it to the homeless person.

“I told the guy I was late and had to get home, but this guy seemed forceful and got really loud,” Ervin, a soft-spoken and polite Canyon Middle School student, explained.

Moments after taking the money to the homeless person, the other man approached Ervin in attempt to pull him in the direction of a black van that was parked in an adjacent lot.

It was at that point Ervin applied the techniques he had learned in Esteller’s martial arts classes—getting free by twisting and turning in the opposite direction of the suspect’s grip, then running at top speed across Castro Valley Boulevard.

“He was really determined to get me and really forceful,” Ervin said. While he talked, a group of youngsters practiced rigorous movements from Esteller’s anti-abduction strategies and techniques program, dubbed “Survey, Avoid, Flee, Engage” (SAFE) at the martial arts studio.

“A lot of these kids think that things like this can’t happen to them, but they do,” said Esteller, a Castro Valley resident who has practiced martial arts for the past 41 years. “It’s crazy it happened in Castro Valley.”

Esteller says he got the martial arts bug at age 13 watching TV’s “Wild Wild West” show with James West, who used the same martial art of Kajukenbo that Esteller has studied and taught for decades.

For 15 years, Esteller was a volunteer instructor at the San Leandro Boys and Girls Club on Marina Boulevard, then opened his own studio 10 years ago.

“The program I teach is to keep kids safe. If they can’t avoid—or run from—a situation, it will give them the tools to engage as a part of physical defense,” he said.

Ervin says Esteller’s martial arts classes and the SAFE program give him confidence and self assurance. “Before I had the attitude that I couldn’t be touched. It never occurred to me that this could happen. What I learned here helped me to think fast in that situation,” he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

he had a ground game...

...but no finishing move for the knock out.
    Shopkeeper Subdues Robber
    Gary Reistad
    WEST ALLIS - Paul Branski knows vacuum cleaners. He’s been the owner of West Allis Vacuum Center at 6766 W. Lincoln Avenue for 25 years and says what happened Thursday morning is a first.

The 44-year-old masked man who attempted to rob Branski’s store probably did not know Branski has nine years of Aikido martial arts training.

“He pushed the glass counter on top of me then I pushed it back,” Branski told TODAY’S TMJ4 reporter Tom Murray. “You revert back to the John Wayne mentality, which is punch more than he's punching you.”

Branski wrestled the robber to the ground in a tussle he estimates lasted four minutes.

An alert passerby thought it suspicious when a man wearing a surgical mask walked into the store. He got the attention of some nearby police officers.

"You see somebody walking into a store with a mask, that would probably be a good time to call the police,” said Capt. Bill Kreuser, West Allis Police Department.

Officers arrived as Branski was still battling the suspect, now identified as 44-year-old Raymond Whiting. Whiting was on probation after release from prison in March and has a history of robbery convictions.

"[He] kept telling me he wasn't going to say anything if I let him up and I said, 'no, you're going to jail,’” Branski explained.

Branski made it out with a few minor cuts. The suspect did not have a weapon. Branski is thankful for the stranger who flagged down police because he was alone in the store.

"I'd still be on the ground two hours later fighting with the guy and we'd both be exhausted I'm sure,” he quipped.

Branski said this is the first time someone attempted to steal from him.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips