Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

There are more ways that martial arts training can aid you than just fighting. In 1969 I was just home from Vietnam and was working at a Gerber Baby Food plant. I worked the night clean up shift and had been employed there for about 4 months. One night I was asked to fill in for a guy that was sick and this entailed going up into the loft and clear out unused bottles and such. There was a square hole in the floor where they could raise and lower skids or something, and these holes were never to be covered with materials. However, the guys loading bottles into the conveyers had stacked a couple of broken down boxes directly over the hole. I was hustling to get done up there and walked straight across these boxes. It is 32 feet from the opening to the tile floor below. I fell through the hole, not touching any side as I fell through. I had a black belt for TJJ and had done many hours of break fall training. I did not have time to think about it, but instincively tucked my chin into my chest and used my arms and feet to break the fall at the instant I touched the floor. The impact was tremendous, the pain was un describable. My foot, leg, and both arms and back were black from bruising. I never lost consciousness, but had a time catching my breath. I hit hard, but broke no bones, and did not crush any organs. Less than a year before that a man had walked off the platform over one of the filler machines and landed on his back and it killed him. He fell less than 20 feet. I have to think that the training of breakfalls saved my life that day. I was injured to the point that I could not work for a couple of weeks, but not killed. Some years before that my high school coach and I were discussing somthing as we hustled down a long flight of stairs, and he turned an ankle and fell head long down the stairs. It was a long way down too. He was also trained in TJJ and using a tuck and roll posture he went all the way down the stairs without breaking anything. He was not completely unscathed, but he survived I feel because of his earlier martial arts training.

situations like these and real life applications of our conditioning and reflexive responses, IMO, are the most used applications of the martial arts, in todays world. Out side of training.

Unless you are a professional fighter or peace keeper that is.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

situations like these and real life applications of our conditioning and reflexive responses, IMO, are the most used applications of the martial arts, in todays world. Out side of training.

Unless you are a professional fighter or peace keeper that is.

I think you are probably right about that. When I first started learning jujitsu I just was interested in the action moves like throwing and such, but eventually I learned to like the arm bars and wrist locks more than anything. Getting on to the main point, I had to spend the first several months just learning to fall from just about every different angle. In order to throw people I had to know the mechanics of falling because I would be taking my turn as throwee before I could learn to throw. Before I could move on to throwee I had to undergo a test. I was even asked to leap as high into the air as I possibly could and come down on my head and shoulders several times. It was actually very painful and impact would have my guts aching. Once it was determined that I could withstand a controlled throw without being injured I was then allowed to be thrown by some of the more advanced students, further developing my falling skills. I guess I was thrown to the mat at least 10,000 times before I was allowed to start learning to throw people. I am curious. Do Bjj students learn to fall before being able to learn to throw someone? Or do they even employ the throw? For most of that first year my back side was a shade of blue with some huge purple spots mixed in.

Indian hookers learn karate

"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    I think thats a very good thing.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Indian women learn lathi

lathi is indian stick fighting...
    India's 'pink' vigilante women
    By Soutik Biswas
    BBC News, Banda

Members of the 'gulabi gang'
    The 'pink' gang has staged protests against corrupt officials

They wear pink saris and go after corrupt officials and boorish men with sticks and axes.

The several hundred vigilante women of India's northern Uttar Pradesh state's Banda area proudly call themselves the "gulabi gang" (pink gang), striking fear in the hearts of wrongdoers and earning the grudging respect of officials.

The pink women of Banda shun political parties and NGOs because, in the words of their feisty leader, Sampat Pal Devi, "they are always looking for kickbacks when they offer to fund us".

Two years after they gave themselves a name and an attire, the women in pink have thrashed men who have abandoned or beaten their wives and unearthed corruption in the distribution of grain to the poor.

They have also stormed a police station and attacked a policeman after they took in an untouchable man and refused to register a case.

Poorest

"Nobody comes to our help in these parts. The officials and the police are corrupt and anti-poor. So sometimes we have to take the law in our hands. At other times, we prefer to shame the wrongdoers," says Sampat Pal Devi, between teaching a "gang" member on how to use a lathi (traditional Indian stick) in self defence.

We are a gang for justice
    Sampat Pal Devi

Banda is at the heart of the blighted region that is Bundelkhand, one of the poorest parts of one of India's most populous states.

It is among the poorest 200 districts in India which were first targeted for the federal government's massive jobs-for-work programme. Over 20% of its 1.6 million people living in 600 villages are lower castes or untouchables. Drought has parched its already arid, single-crop lands.

Banda road (Pic: Soutik Biswas)
    Banda is one of the poorest districts in Uttar Pradesh

To make matters worse, women bear the brunt of poverty and discrimination in Banda's highly caste-ridden, feudalistic and male dominated society. Dowry demands and domestic and sexual violence are common.

Locals say it is not surprising that a women's vigilante group has sprung up in this landscape of poverty, discrimination and chauvinism.

Sampat Pal Devi is a wiry woman, wife of an ice cream vendor, mother of five children, and a former government health worker who set up and leads the "pink gang".

"Mind you," she says, "we are not a gang in the usual sense of the term. We are a gang for justice."

'Uproot the corrupt'

Her seeds of rebellion were sown very early on when in face of her parents' resistance to send her to school, she began writing and drawing on the walls, floors and dust-caked village streets.

She finally ended up going to school, but was married off when she was nine in a region where child marriages are common. At 12, she went to live with her husband and at 13 she had her first child.

Sampat Devi (Pic: Soutik Biswas)
    Sampat Pal Devi says nobody helps the poor

To keep the home fires burning, Sampat Devi began to work as a government health worker, but she quit after a while because her job was not satisfying enough.

"I wanted to work for the people, not for myself alone. I was already holding meetings with people, networking with women who were ready to fight for a cause, and was ready with a group of women two years ago," she says.

Sitting outside a home in Attara, Sampat Devi waves her calloused hands, breaks into a rousing song to "uproot the corrupt and be self reliant", and animatedly talks to women - and men - who flock to her with their problems.

A mother brings in her weeping daughter who has been thrown out by her husband demanding 20,000 rupees from her parents.

"He married me for the love of money," sobs Malti.

Sampat Devi tells her "gang" that they will soon march to the girl's house and demand an explanation from the husband. "If they don't take her back and keep her well, we will resort to other measures," she says.

'No handouts'

The pink sorority is not exactly a group of male-bashing feminists - they claim they have returned 11 girls who were thrown out of their homes to their spouses because "women need men to live with".

That is also why men like Jai Prakash Shivhari join the "gulabi" gang and talk with remarkable passion about child marriages, dowry deaths, depleting water resources, farm subsidies and how funds are being stolen in government projects.

"We don't want donations or handouts. We don't want appeasement or affirmative action. Give us work, pay us proper wages and restore our dignity," he says.

The women in the "gulabi gang" echo the same sentiment - but Sampat Devi has a separate agenda for women.

'Gulabi gang' members learning to fight with sticks (Pic: Soutik Biswas)
    The women thrashed a policeman in protest against the arrest of a poor man

"Village society in India is loaded against women. It refuses to educate them, marries them off too early, barters them for money. Village women need to study and become independent to sort it out themselves," she says.

Where do the pink women go from here?

They already claim to have done some work in combating crime and corruption in the area. Last year, Sampat Devi contested the state polls as an independent candidate and mustered only 2,800 votes.

"Joining politics is not my chosen way to help people. We will keep up our good work, so the state does not take us for granted," she says.

In the badlands of Uttar Pradesh where nothing seems to work for the poor, this itself is a laudable aim.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wow, Indian women are really taking a Shine to Martial Arts these days.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

I love this story

Score another one for TKD!
    Italian thief thanks police for rescuing him from his victims
    AFP
    Mon Aug 3, 12:33 pm ET

ROME (AFP) – An Italian thief thanked police officers for arresting him and putting an end to a beating from Korean tourists whom he had robbed in Rome, police said on Monday.

"I must thank you, they were massacring me," the 48-year-old criminal told police after he was arrested near the Theatre of Marcellus, one of the monuments in Rome's historic centre.

The thief, from the northern region of Liguria, stole a handbag from a Korean family when they were not paying attention. He threatened the family with a knife when he was spotted and then tried to flee.

Two men from the family, in their twenties, chased him for several hundred metres before they got him down with taekwondo moves. They disarmed the thief and continued to beat him.

A patrolling police officer intervened, separated the three and arrested the thief immediately.

"Normally tourists will just call us and report the incidents," the officer said. "In this case, the two got really excited and could have seriously injured the thief."

The young Koreans left after they got the handbag back. The thief was transferred to a prison in Rome and will face robbery charges.

Armed robbery in Rome experienced a sharp decline last year with 4,246 cases reported in 2008 compared with 5,133 in 2007.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Score another one for TKD!
    oh snap, you got beat to the punch!

Dog Fu

How many of you train to defend against non-human opponents?
    Mankato man uses martial arts to rescue woman being attacked by dogs
    By Dan Nienaber and Brian Ojanpa
    Mankato Free Press
    Updated: 08/21/2009 07:28:57 AM CDT

Mankato police continue to investigate a dog-attack incident in which a woman was bitten before the dogs were fended off by a man using martial arts tactics.

Police said the incident happened about 6: 30 a. m. Tuesday in the Lincoln Park neighborhood when a woman outside her home was attacked by two Rotweilers.

Nearby resident Jesse Piotrowski, 28, said he was awakened by cries for help and went outside to see the woman lying on the ground.

He said that after he punched the dogs, one pulled back and the other attacked again.

After getting the woman back into her house, the dogs' owner came upon the scene and quieted them.

Piotrowski received bites on his leg during the fracas.

"The bite was nothing. The worst part was my toes. I basically jumped right out of bed, so the only thing I had on was my shorts."

He said pivoting on his feet martial arts-style while delivering the punches took a toll on his bare feet.

"That hurts worse than the bites. Funny side of the day," he said.

The name of the woman, who also broke her wrist during the incident, was not released, nor was the name of the dogs' owner pending possible criminal charges.

The owner reportedly told police he was putting the dogs in his yard when they got away from him.

Police said the dogs will be kept in isolation 10 days to determine whether they have rabies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I love this story

Kung fu taxi driver
    Published: 04 Nov 2009 17:02:01 PST

Two would-be thieves in Wuhan, Hubei Province got shocked after they tried to stun a taxi driver with electric paddles and rob him at knife point on October 27.

The driver, Shi Zhigang, 33, was initially jolted on the back of his head with the high voltage paddles after driving the pair to a farm area as they had instructed. One pointed a knife at the stunned cabbie and demanded his fare money, but Shi – who is also a trained martial artist – pulled a nunchuck from beneath his seat and drove them from the cab, beating them back into a nearby ditch.

He then called police who arrived to arrest the pair who were "trembling in the ditch's foul water."
    There's even a little cartoon. It has a 3-section staff instead of nunchuks, but we won't quibble.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice one

Nunchaku for home defense! (in the states where nunchaku are legal, of course).
    Man accused of sexually assaulting 3 women testifies at trial
    by Chris Freiberg / cfreiberg@newsminer.com

FAIRBANKS — The man accused of sexually assaulting three women took the stand Tuesday morning to tell his side of the story.

In his testimony, Gareth Demoski, 21, largely agreed with the stories given by the three women who testified before him during the past week. He admitted to having sex with two of them and did not differ in his account of how he met the women.

He claims the sex with two of the women was consensual; the women claim he raped them.

Under cross-examination from assistant district attorney Sara Simpson, it was revealed that Demoski wrote a message on MySpace apologizing to a woman who claims he sexually assaulted her in June 2007 at his parents’ home.

“I found out that she was accusing me of this, and I felt bad about what she thought had happened,” Demoski said.

Simpson attempted to hurt Demoski’s credibility by pointing out a juvenile conviction for vehicle theft and that Demoski denied, when he first spoke with investigators, having sex with either woman.

“Your testimony today is that you lied to police in every one of these investigations, correct?” Simpson asked.

“Yes,” Demoski said.

In the case of the third woman, an acquaintance who told investigators that Demoski fondled her while she slept after breaking into her trailer in June 2008, Demoski admitted to burglarizing the trailer but denied touching the woman.

He told the jury of seven men and seven women, including two alternates, that after he slept at the trailer the previous year he had money stolen from him and that he broke in to get even with the thieves.

“What were you doing in the bedroom?” Demoski’s attorney, Nelson Traverso, asked him.

“The thing that came to mind was a wallet or money or anything valuable,” he said. “I tripped over something. I don’t know if I hit the bed or not.”

The woman previously testified she awoke to find Demoski sitting on the bed next to her and that her fiancé chased Demoski out of the trailer after hitting him over the head with a pair of nunchaku.

Demoski had been banned from the woman’s house the previous month after she said he drunkenly grabbed her buttocks and pushed her onto a bed.

“I didn’t like her like that,” he said. “I was just goofy.”

Jurors have today off. Testimony is expected to end Thursday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Successful Sword applications

These were headed towards our Bad Day for Samurai Wannabees thread, until I realized they were quite the opposite.

Father cleared after chopping off intruder's ear with Samurai sword
    A father-of-two who used a Samurai sword to defend his family against a pair of intruders, resulting in him severing one of their ears, has walked free from prison.
    By Chris Irvine
    Published: 7:30AM GMT 11 Feb 2010

Builder David Fullard, 46, from Brough, East Yorkshire, was prosecuted for attacking Michael Severs, 22, after using a "battlefield weapon" to defend his home when he and Michael Smith, 19, forced their way into his home. However he was cleared of unlawful wounding in November last year following a nine-month legal battle.

The ordeal once again raises the debate about the role of self-defence in the home. Last month businessman Munir Hussain was freed from prison after attacking a burglar who held him and his family hostage. Hussain, whose prison sentence was suspended by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, has called on the current law on self defence to be "revisited".

The judge at Hull Crown Court lifted reporting restrictions yesterday after the men who threatened him were given six month suspended prison sentences after admitting affray.

The court heard that Severs and Smith, who were high on drink and drugs, vaguely knew Mr Fullard's eldest son Tom, 17, and knocked on the door of the family home claiming he owed them £5. The pair then barged into the living room and threatened Mr Fullard's long-term partner Susan Neal, 53. Mr Fullard's youngest son Danny, 14, was also in the house.

“I wanted the flat of the sword to hit him. I hit him once. I thought he was going to kill me or put me in hospital. I thought to myself he is going to take me apart," Mr Fullard told the jury.

"If there had been a walking stick there. I would have hit him with a walking stick. I just wanted to stop him."

The prosecution had argued that the use of the Samurai sword was a case of self defence gone too far.

Mr Fullard's barrister Mark Bury argued however: “This is not a man who settles disputes with his fist or a sword. To do so would go against the principles he has held all his life. This was lawful, anticipatory, self- defence. You do not have to wait until you are hit. The two men were frightening men."
    Sure, a raccoon doesn't sound as scary as a mountain lion but raccoons are still formidable wild animals.
    Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm US/Pacific
    Teen Fights Off Racoon, Not Mt. Lion, With Sword
    Laura Cole
    FAIRFIELD, Calif. (CBS13) ―

A Fairfield teen's story of fighting off a Mt. Lion with a Samarai sword to protect his dog may have been embelished just a tad. The Department of Fish and Game says the dog was attacked -- but by a racoon, not a cougar.

Department personnel checked paw prints and feces to come to their conclusion.

Marquel Dawson, 19, was playing fetch with his dog Stunna earlier this week in their wide-open backyard when the two came face to face with a big creature that Dawson believed was a mountain lion. The dog immediately moved to protect his master.

"He turns and looks at the bush, and turned back and looked at me, he takes off running into the bush and I hear tussling around," Marquel said.

Marquel said he ran 150 yards back to his house and grabbed the only think he could think of: His samurai sword.

"By the time I got down there it was on top of him, so I swung the sword and hit him once and I threw my arms up and made a loud noise," he said.

The startled animal took off, but Stunna was unable to move. Marquel rushed the dog to the veterinarian, who is keeping him overnight to treat him for lacerations to the side of his face and the top of his head.

Marquel says he would make the same choice to help his dog again.

"I've had that dog since he's a puppy and he feels like family," he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    How many of you train to defend against non-human opponents?
    to be honest... i do - it develops inter-dependently with fighting human(oid) opponents, the only difference is actually training it. years ago i lived in florida and there was a neighborhood stray pitbull, "mocha", i spent alot of time getting it all wound up and then deflecting it's attacks - imagine pushing hands with a dog, much like jou tsung hwa was reknowned for pushing hands with his farm goat... which reminds me how much i miss my goat.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    which reminds me how much i miss my goat.
    and you make fun of WV. lol...comments like this i wonder.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.