Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

That was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I occasionally get news feed articles about these. I'm going to start collating them here. It's sort of the opposite of the Busted Teachers thread.
    maybe a bit of a local hero but not very smart... shes lucky the guy didnt stop running, turn around and stick a flathead screwdriver thru her little neck... shes lucky, thats all... he was probably just some junkie, but he could have had weapons and/or skills of some sort... lucky for her he either didnt have these skills or simply chose to just go thru the motions rather than tearing her apart...

i have serious issue with martial arts that give people a false sense of security that, more often than not, gets people hurt...

in my youth i fought so many people who had done MA's their whole lives... and, more times than not, their false sense of security was my main advantage... their faith in the moves their teachers told them were so deadly are the same technigues that allowed me to exploit their position and move in for the finish... while they try and engage in some f@agged out game of chess, im moving in with double underhooks and slamming you ass on your head...

its ok to do MA's and focus on the art aspect more than the martial aspect, theres nothing wrong with that at all... i love it... i love classical animal forms and the like... always have, always will... but how many times have we all seen a teacher teach a move and then talk about how great it is rather than being honest and saying the simple truth... on an ametuer level, size and aggression will overcome technique more times than not... you have to put alot of time into these techniques to make them applicable...

we've already talked this to death, but i dont feel that many traditional MA's train in a realistic manner... its not the techniques thats at fault when we are talking fundamentals, its the training methods... i do believe that alot of over complicated forms, created by men who never fought anybody worthy, are garbage... but the fundamentals and the basics are pretty sound, in most MA's...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    This is quite the development.

The big development is that a store-owner can make an arrest after the fact if the thief is caught on camera and escapes but returns to the premises afterwards.
    interesting story... it begs alot of questions, doesnt it...

so what are the rules with citizens making arrests??? i thought anyone could hold anyone aslong as it was only when the police are called immediately and they only hold them long enough to let the police get there and that they dont hurt the person any more than is needed to hold them... i never really thought much about it... i live by my own laws... i protect myself when i need to and i only ever called the police when i had to for property crime, for insurance purposes... otherwise ive never once asked them for anything... i have my own code of ethics and i stand by it... these are my laws...

is it unlawful confinement to hold a thief? i know security can, but they have some papers usually... a little course or whatever... what about regular citizens who simply witness a crime? i wouldnt really think twice about stepping on some crooks neck untill the wagon arrived... is that illegal?

i dont see any reason why Chen should not be allowed to hold a theif... simply put, the police arent able to make a quick enough response to be effective in small crimes... and we cant expect small biz owners to have security teams like the box stores have, handcuffs, pepper spray, batons and all...

Citizen's Arrest powers in Ohio only cover FELONIES. You can find out what the law says about citizen's arrest powers by reading your state's criminal code. In Ohio the laws can be found in the Ohio Revised Code.

Here is what Ohio Legal Services says about the issue:

Citizen's Arrest

The arrest of an accused without a warrant by any person, upon probable cause to believe that a felony has been committed and that the person detained committed it. In Ohio, a citizen's arrest is the only power of arrest conferred on the general public. Law enforcement officers have the same powers of arrest without a warrant as any citizen. Law enforcement officers have the additional power to arrest without a warrant for misdemeanors, and to execute arrest warrants issued for any offense.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 10-30-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

yeah canada doesnt work the same way... whatever our rule on that is, im sure its the same all over the country...

Short bit, but amusing.

You'd think a police commissioner would have a gun...
    Mighty with a pen and a sword: meet the new police chief
    5:30 AM Wednesday Dec 1, 2010

New Police Commissioner Peter Marshall is the only commissioner in recent memory to hold off a band of 13 thieves in a hallway with only a ceremonial sword.

Mr Marshall, who was named yesterday as the replacement for Howard Broad, was the victim of a home invasion last year in the Solomon Islands, where he has headed the police force since 2008.

"We had 13 people smash into the house, and my steel ceremonial sword was put to good use," Mr Marshall, who is now commissioner for the Solomon Islands, said.

As he and his wife Pamela barricaded themselves in their bedroom, Mr Marshall used the sword whenever the door was forced slightly open.

"The sword went through with a bit of a parry, and eventually they decided to leave."

Mr Marshall will step in on April 3, when Commissioner Broad retires, and the Government has made it clear that he will be on a tighter leash than his predecessor - his term will be for three years rather than the usual five.

Prime Minister John Key said the shorter term meant more opportunity to "review performance and make sure that these very senior appointments realise that they have to deliver.

"There are changes that will have to take place in the police."

Mr Marshall's resume after 38 years with the police includes being the New Zealand police liaison officer in Canberra, head of the Hawkes Bay armed offenders squad and then the area commander, head of Auckland city area, and assistant commissioner of operations before taking charge in the Solomon Islands.

He was also in charge of police operations covering Apec and the America's Cup in 2000.

He is widely respected, although former Solomon Islands Attorney-General Julian Moti criticised him for taking part in Mr Moti's deportation to Australia to face child sex charges.

Police Association vice-president Chris Cahill said Mr Marshall had a proven track record.

"He's got a good personality and relates well to people, which is important."

One senior officer said Mr Marshall was a leader who knew what he wanted and had great management skills.

Mr Marshall, 58, said he wanted to be on the frontline as much as he could.

"I certainly want to be very visible, out in the districts, the voice for New Zealand police and an advocate for the staff who I believe are doing a fantastic job."

He was also a great believer in the preventive measures that have been adopted in Counties-Manukau.

"There is an absolute desire from the public to see police on the street, being visible and available.

"That is something dear to my heart in the context of what I would like a police force to offer the public."

NEW JOB BUT FIRST THE RIOT

The next Police Commissioner marked his appointment by spending three hours dealing with an unruly crowd in the streets of the Solomon Islands.

Peter Marshall, the head of the Solomon Islands police, was yesterday on the frontline with police in the capital Honiara to control rioting after a disgraced politician was sent to prison.

The violence erupted after a court sentenced cabinet minister and former militia leader Jimmy "Rasta" Lusibaea to two years and nine months jail for wounding another person and assaulting a police officer.

The group began throwing stones at police outside the High Court and then moved into the centre of the city, sparking panic among businesspeople and shoppers.

The police deputy commissioner, Walter Kola, told Radio New Zealand that the situation was under control.

"The situation now is being contained. We have cleared Pt Cruz, we have cleared the High Court, we have cleared the market as well and also Chinatown. We have pushed them away and they are now going back to their homes, but we will try and contain the situation from now up until late this afternoon.

"There are a few pockets of individuals that are showing anger to the police in certain spots in Honiara, especially at the commercial areas."

Mr Kola said those causing the strife were opportunists, not necessarily supporters of Lusibaea.

He said they were yet to make any arrests.

- staff reporter
    By Derek Cheng | Email Derek
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Follow the link for a vid - it's worth checking out

Teen uses Samurai sword to scare off burglars
    Posted: Dec 16, 2010 7:51 PM PST Updated: Dec 17, 2010 9:02 AM PST
    By Kay Johnson

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Three teens have been arrested after police say they tried to break into a home off Stillwell Oaks Circle.

Jesse Endsley was at home at the time and used a samurai sword to scare off the would-be burglars.

Police charged 19-year-old Jarod Pearson, 18-year-old Keith Byers and 16-year-old Christopher Henry with attempted breaking and entering and conspiracy.

Endsley says he was asleep when he heard a knock on the front door. He looked out the window and saw one of the men on the porch. Endsley says when he didn't open the door, the man motioned to two others to go around back.

"I kinda had a bad feeling because three guys, dressed in jumpsuits going back there isn't for something good," Endsley said.

Endsley says he ran upstairs and grabbed a samurai sword he bought at a convention earlier this year.

"I was lucky to get his because it came in handy later down the line…it never crossed my mind that I would have to swing it on somebody or try to swing it on somebody," Endsley said.

When Endsley made it back downstairs, he said the men were trying to break down the back door. That's when he went after the trio, chased them down the street swinging the sword.

"At the time when I first thought about it, I was scared but when I went outside with the sword the fear left my body and it was like just get 'em," Endsley said.
    Samurai swords for home defense.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Samurai swords for home defense.
    They're also for "Acts of Terrorism"

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../18771901.html

Freddie Blodgett III made his first appearance Thursday in Pahrump Justice Court on charges he used a samurai sword to hijack a school bus and plotted to blow up the town's high school.

The quiet, baby-faced 15-year-old sat subdued, his handcuffed hands in his lap. His intent eyes, framed by thin-rimmed glasses, darted from the attorneys to the judge during the proceedings.

Prosecutors filed a motion asking the judge to certify the boy as an adult because of the seriousness of the charges. Blodgett's attorney argued the boy is immature and has emotional and mental problems that would indicate he is not a good candidate to be tried in the adult system.

The boy's parents, who met with him earlier in the day, according to attorneys, were not present and could not be located in time for the hearing.

"We believe (Blodgett) should be tried as an adult because of the severity of the act and the use of a deadly weapon," said Robert Beckett, Nye County district attorney. Beckett said the samurai sword and the hijacked bus, which was used to ram a police car, are considered deadly weapons.

Justice of the Peace Margaret Whittaker ordered psychological evaluations of the boy within 30 days to determine whether he should be certified as an adult for trial in Nye County District Court. She scheduled a hearing for June 20 to check the status of the evaluations, which will determine the boy's competence, capacity and maturity.

Based on the findings of the evaluation, Whittaker could recommend the case advance to District Court for a certification hearing.

Harry Gensler, the public defender assigned to Blodgett's case, said he did not oppose the evaluations, but argued the boy should not be tried as an adult. He also asked that evaluators avoid delving into the incident to prevent the boy from making statements that could be used against him in court.

"You have a very immature young man -- boy -- with a lot of emotional problems charged with some very serious allegations," Gensler said after the hearing. "He realizes he's in a big mess, but I don't think he appreciates the ramifications of that."

Gensler described Blodgett as a "meek kid" who is unlikely to have masterminded the kind of plot authorities say he devised.

Blodgett was arrested April 29 after authorities said he used a sword to hijack a school bus. The bus crashed in California after a high-speed chase with authorities. Gensler said if Blodgett stole the bus, he probably didn't plan to blow up the school, because the bus was moving away from it.

But Nye County Assistant Sheriff Richard Marshall has said authorities searched the boy's backpack and found ammunition and written plans to "blow up Pahrump Valley High School." Marshall said the boy told Nye County sheriff's investigators he intended to plant gasoline bombs at the school, but he did not have time to carry out his plans.

Blodgett is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, grand larceny of a motor vehicle, robbery with the use of a deadly weapon and fourth-degree arson. If convicted as an adult, Blodgett could face up to 50 years in prison.

A source close to the investigation has said Blodgett left his parents a letter explaining the purpose of his plans: to change the government.

According to the source, the boy planned to hijack a bus full of students, hold them hostage, blow up Pahrump Valley High School, then take over the Nye County Courthouse, where he would unveil his demands. The letter to his parents did not specify these demands.

Investigators have said they believe Blodgett plotted with several other students to hijack the bus and destroy the school.

Two brothers, ages 14 and 16, were arrested May 1 after classmates overheard them discussing the plan, authorities said. The younger brother was arrested at school, and the older brother was arrested at his home later that evening.

The 14-year-old is charged with threatening to cause death or bodily harm to a pupil or school employee and conspiracy to make a bomb threat. The 16-year-old is charged with conspiracy to make a bomb threat.

The brothers had been held at a juvenile detention center in Hawthorne until last week, when Whittaker placed them under house arrest.

The brothers are expected to make their first court appearances today in Nye County Justice Court.

Joel Blodgett, Freddie Blodgett's cousin, said the whole family was shocked by the incident. Joel Blodgett described his cousin's parents, Katherine and Freddie Blodgett Jr., as "real nice people" who work hard and get along with family members and neighbors.

"I don't know how he got treated at school, but he was just quiet, not out of the ordinary," said Joel Blodgett, 24. He said Freddie Blodgett III had never been in any trouble. The 15-year-old enjoyed playing video games and got along with other family members at monthly gatherings.

"We're all surprised. We don't understand. We don't know what to say," Joel Blodgett said.

Odd that he didn't credit his Army training

I would think that would have more impact.
    Army Reservist credits martial arts training for stopping arsonist at restaurant
    By James Scalzitti Staff Reporter Feb 13, 2011 08:12PM

A 21-year-old Buffalo Grove man who recently completed 10 months of Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training for the U.S. Army credits his martial arts training for making him act against a man who tried to set fire to a River North restaurant last week.

Ajay Kumra was in the area of Chicago and Orleans late Wednesday afternoon when he decided to stop in the Baba Palace, 334 W. Chicago Ave., for dinner.

“I had my back facing the door,” he says, when he heard a man yelling. “I turned around and saw him slashing (a) gas can around.” The man, later identified as Asif Kahn, 42, had apparently been refused service at the restaurant earlier and returned with the gas can.

“I was about to walk out because I knew it wasn’t safe, but I turned around and saw him about to light the match, so I reacted by stopping him instead of leaving.”

He confronted the man, and hit him, in an effort to subdue him. Asked if the man put up a fight, Kumra said, “Not really, he was drunk. He was fighting back. He did grab my leg. Then he threw a chair, but I reacted to that by finally stopping him.”

Kahn, of the 8900 block of South Commercial Avenue, was arrested and charged with criminal damage to property, police News Affairs Officer Darryl Baety said.

Kumra says it was the “decisiveness” to react in such a situation that he learned through his martial arts training that made him take action.

“The other 20 people in the restaurant, (were) going to stand by and watch themselves go up in flames. I just had the decisiveness to do that.” For that he thanks his martial arts teachers, Instructor Richard Baron, who teaches in Highland Park and Sifu James McNeil, who teaches in Irvine, Calif. They’re part of Little Nine Heaven Kung Fu and Tai Chi in Highland Park. “Without them I don’t know,” Kumra says. “I’d have been like the other people waiting to be lit on fire.

Kahn apparently returned to the restaurant after the incident on Wednesday, according to police and Kumra.

Kahn was arrested again on Friday, Baety said, and charged with criminal trespass and violation of the conditions of his bail bond.

Kumra, who is a DePaul University student studying math and finance, is in the Army Reserves and has a contract to become an officer through ROTC. He went through Basic Training at Fort Knox, and Advanced Individual Training (AIT) at Fort Bragg.

“I plan on going on active duty once I graduate.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Don't Mess with a Gurkha

Now this guy has the REALZ Kung Fu -

http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281...gainst-40-men/

Lone Nepali Soldier Defends Potential Rape Victim Against 40 Men
    January 28, 2011

Whoa...holy cow! Every once in a while someone in the world comes along and reminds us what a true hero really looks like. A 35 year-old Gurkha soldier named Bishnu Shrestha was riding a train when he suddenly found himself in the middle of a massive robbery. 40 men armed with knives, swords and guns stormed the train and began robbing the passengers.

Bishnu kept his peace while the gang snatched cell phones, jewelry and cash from other riders. But then, the thugs grabbed the 18 year-old girl sitting next to him and forcefully stripped her naked. Before the bandits could rape the poor girl in front of her helpless parents, Bishnu decided he had enough.

“The girl cried for help, saying ´You are a soldier, please save a sister´,” Shrestha recalled. “I prevented her from being raped, thinking of her as my own sister.”

Here's the part of the story that makes you cheer. He pulls out a kukri (i.e. a knife) and proceeds to kill 3 of them, injure 8 of them, and causes the rest to flee. During the battle, he suffered a severe knife injury to his left hand, from which he's now recovered.

For those who don't know...this is a kukri. Maybe it's okay to bring a knife to a gunfight, after all.

Honestly, the article isn't revealing the whole story because clearly he was also armed with 2 GIANT F***ING BALLS OF STEEL which he clobbered the bandits with.

Bishnu, you're never going to see this post, but we got movie stars who can only play act what you did for real. I think quite a few men often daydream of a moment where we prove ourselves a hero. We salute you in our admiration.

Someone please mail this guy a "Bad Muthaf*cka" wallet. And by the way, if you're courting his sister, you better treat her right. Note, the video below is NOT in English.
    Karma is a B!tch....... and I'm her Pimp.

Not sure how this one got by me

I know Nicola. We met over half a decade ago at the Zhang San Feng Festival.

Bronxville Tai Chi Instructor Awarded for Bravery

a Tai Chi instructor honored by Scarsdale's D'Errico Jewelers will receive more accolades this evening in New York City

By Kirstin Fawcett | 9:50am

Last fall, D’Errico Jewelers honored Nicola Briggs, the Bronxville Tai Chi instructor who defended herself against a sexual predator on a New York subway train, with an awards ceremony and a diamond peace sign necklace. Tonight, the 5th Annual Women’s Awards in New York City will be commending Briggs’s bravery as well! The event will take place at The Stonewall Inn on 53 Christopher Street from 7 – 10 p.m. To purchase tickets for the 5th Annual Women’s Awards, e-mail zosherafatain@kurlandassociates.com
    click below for vid
    VIDEO: Woman gets award for confronting flasher
    Daniel Trotter 3 months ago

SCARSDALE, N.Y. - When Nicola Briggs confronted a man who flashed her on the No. 4 train, it landed her three things: a YouTube hit, an award and diamonds.

Briggs, who was flashed on the New York City subway in early September, confronted the man with an expletive-laden tirade and then engaged her fellow passengers in ensuring his arrest.

Tonight she will receive the first "Shero" - woman hero - award from the Professional Women of Westchester and a diamond peace necklace.

"We appreciate the way she stood up for her rights and did not become a victim," said Richard D'Errico, who designed the white gold and diamond peace sign. "I am a father myself, with a daughter, and the way she stood up was clear and concise.

Briggs, a Manhattan resident and head instructor at the Tai Chi School of Westchester in Bronxville, N.Y., recalled the confrontation.

Briggs, 38, turned to Mario Valdivia, screaming, "Oh, you're getting (expletive) arrested tonight! I am not leaving your sight! My plans are done for tonight! I am escorting you to the police station! Oh (expletive) yes!"

Valdivia, a 51-year-old Queens man, was sentenced to four months in jail for forcible touching.

Someone videotaped the encounter on a cell phone and posted it Nov. 24 on YouTube. Various versions, one with a song dubbed over, have since appeared. One had more than 800,000 hits before it was taken down.

Briggs said she felt empowered.

"I was not fearful because I knew, if I showed enough anger and confidence, that this person could not hurt me or get away," she said.

Briggs had been headed to meet a friend for dinner in Chinatown.

"The train was running local that day and it started to fill up rapidly," she said. "There were many people and it was standing room only."

In Midtown, when the train cleared, she noticed a man standing too close to her.

"He had a messenger bag that kept pressing up against me, and I did not like that," Briggs said.

She looked down and saw Valdivia's private parts were exposed and that he was wearing a condom.

"I was deeply disturbed," she said. "I started screaming, and he threw up his hands and said, I am sorry.' "

Briggs grabbed Valdivia's bag and started cursing at him as he stood there, looking mortified. She told men on the train to guard the doors before the next stop.

"Men on the train told him that if he took one step, they would punch him in the face," she said.

Briggs said others on the train began yelling at the man and taking pictures of him.

"They helped me shame him," she said.

Briggs screamed for more than seven minutes as she stood in front of Valdivia. He tried to walk around her to get off the train, she said.

When the train stopped, he was arrested. She said she was thankful to the other riders.

"They were great," she said. "Many people in this city will help you."

Briggs said she was happy she confronted Valdivia.

"I have spoken to women who this has happened to - or worse - and they walked away," she said. "They were very upset that they let fear get the best of them."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bones Jones!

UFC Champ takes down a purse snatcher with a figure 4 and then goes on to beat Shogun Rua! See our jones... freak thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Martial arts sisters

There's a news vid if you follow the link but it crashed on me part way through and I didn't try to reload it.
    Sisters Trained in Martial Arts Fend Off Intruder
    Police: Newberg Man Kicked Down Front Door
    POSTED: 9:59 pm PDT March 23, 2011
    UPDATED: 8:17 am PDT March 24, 2011

NEWBERG, Ore. -- Martial arts training helped two sisters fight off an intruder in Newberg on Wednesday afternoon.

Police say the incident started just before 1 p.m. in the 200 block of Ardus Drive after they received reports that a man was trying to break into cars.

Newberg-Dundee police say a teenage girl reported that a man had kicked down her front door and was holding down her adult sister.

"My youngest daughter told him to go away, but he forced himself in," says Kim Halstead, the victims' father. "After that, he went upstairs and met with my oldest daughter and they got into a scuffle. She takes martial arts, so she was able to fend him off."

Halstead says he saw the same man in his backyard earlier in the morning.

Police say the Halstead house wasn't the only spot Erik Rosario-Flores was targeting.

Minute before Rosario-Flores broke into this home, police received a call from a homeowner reporting that a man had just walked up to his car and kicked it. Rosario-Flores was also responsible for that incident, officers say.

They say he tried to break into other cars before running through someone's backyard and over to the Halstead home.

"I was pulling out of the driveway and there was three cop cars this way, and they had a kid down on the ground. They had him hog tied with a gun on him," said Debra Bryant, who lives nearby.

"(It was a) very scary, very scary situation. We have a lot of kids around here that play all day," said Meggan Stevahn, who lives across the street.

Rosario-Flores caused some damage to the Halsteads' upstairs bedroom when he started going through some of the dresser drawers.

He is now facing numerous charges, including burglary and kidnapping.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Okay, so there's no overt mention of martial arts in this one but an 81-year-old vs. 8 teenagers in a tunnel at 4AM in HK? I'm gonna dub Mak a grandmaster whether he studies kung fu or not.
    Updated Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:19 pm TWN, AFP
    81-year-old fights off HK teen muggers
    HONG KONG--An 81-year-old man in Hong Kong single-handedly fought off a gang of teenage muggers, police said Monday, with eight youths arrested and some requiring hospital treatment.

The elderly man, only identified as Mak, was assaulted by the gang aged between 15 and 19 in a pedestrian tunnel during the 4:00 a.m. incident when he was on his way to do morning exercise. He was attacked from behind.

“They pushed him to the ground and tried to rob him. The man fought back and the gang ran away empty-handed,” a police spokeswoman told AFP.

Some of the teenage muggers, five boys and three girls, sustained cuts and minor injuries after the man put up a fierce fight. Police later traced a trail of blood to a nearby flat and detained the teenagers.

The injured were taken to hospital for treatment.

“They are still being detained and under investigation for assault with intent to rob,” the police spokeswoman said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That's awesome Gene.

I wonder if he had a knife on him. It would have to be a steady flow of blood to track them back to their apartment.

Perhaps this guy is the inheritor of the ever-elusive Chinese knife fighting style...
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb