Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bow Sim Mark's approach to Yu Hai's Mantis Form (a must see)

She does wush guys! Very nice wushu, but it has NO MARTIAL APPLICABILITY!! You cannot say she has amazing power by watching her doa form. Half of those movements are not even in the Mantis repetoire! They are performance based, not combative based.
    As for the internal vs. external BS......internal has nothing to do with Qi gong, and breathing etc. it is simply a set of structural alignments that allow proper power and force to be issued with maximum effectiveness. Not about magic guys.

Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

So as you watch her perform you see no:
    "set of structural alignments that allow proper power and force to be issued with maximum effectiveness"
    It's just "wush" in your learned mind, must have "NO MARTIAL APPLICABILITY" because you say so, because it has nothing of your own trendy definition of internal as quoted above.

Guess those Masters that used to watch her didn't know what we know now.
    Thank God for the Internet.
    Everything's Free, nothing's learned, nothing's developed, everybody's a critic.

If you say so bro.
    Thanks for reminding me why I do not post here that often anymore
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Don't worry about it.
    You'll forget soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by spiralstair View Post
    Guess those Masters that used to watch her didn't know what we know now.
    Thank God for the Internet.
    Everything's Free, nothing's learned, nothing's developed, everybody's a critic.
    That made me soooo happy,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Martial power can only realistically be demonstrated in application. You guys should know better - forms just dont cut it.

Jake you should also know better too. Act your age around here.

Nate

I guess it's not nice to point this out as so many people do Modern Wushu these days. But it is a gymnastic sport that resembles kung fu. I know plenty of dancers who are ripped, flexible and have explosive moves - but they're not doing kung fu and they can't use the moves for fighting.

It's also not enough to reverse engineer a few apps into the forms either.

Anyway, the Yu Hai Wushu Mantis form is not useful for a discussion on Kung Fu. Except to lament the damage done to the scene by Modern Wushu in general.

Nate-
    Bugger off.

Redfish-
    Jesus, I think the day has come.......hell is officially frozen!!! I actually agree with what you say 100%!!

Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    I guess it's not nice to point this out as so many people do Modern Wushu these days. But it is a gymnastic sport that resembles kung fu. I know plenty of dancers who are ripped, flexible and have explosive moves - but they're not doing kung fu and they can't use the moves for fighting.

It's also not enough to reverse engineer a few apps into the forms either.

Anyway, the Yu Hai Wushu Mantis form is not useful for a discussion on Kung Fu. Except to lament the damage done to the scene by Modern Wushu in general.
    Given it's - 50 c with the windchill outside and I agreed with Jake that Hell is frozen officially (plus global warming is such a myth) that I agreed with you 100% also.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Are you saying it is 50 below zero? And we think 10 above is bad!

My Shifu talks about his trip to see you Robert. One thing he told me, it was very cold and the local woman still dressed like it was summer. I have to keep this "G" rated.

Back in the old days here in the states there wernt too many Masters to look up to, at least in my area. I was always inspired to see Bow Sim Mark perform and Chan Pui for that matter. Now a days we are rich with teachers and quality kung fu. JMO
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Greetings everyone,

I never thought that this thread would take such a tangent.

Three Harmonies,

I write this because of what you believe internal is. I agree with your statement about structural alignments, etc. But that is not all there is. I have seen in my youth guys with remarkable fighting abilities fade away rapidly in their late twenties and early thirties just because they were missing the chi component in their training. Believe me, they had the alignments, the structure, and the strength. It was disheartening to behold. I learned about the importance of having balance in one's martial practice from a seminar conducted by a very controversial figure: Kwan Sai Hung. It was the first time in my training that I experienced it and it felt good. Another person who has posted on this very thread touched on it in his magnum opus, "Defining Cross Training." That article is a fantastic read and I think it would benefit someone like yourself. It is not preachy at all. It simply asks, "Are you fully addressing your needs in your practice?" I hope he puts that article back up again. A lot of people can really benefit from reading it. I did.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-27-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Can someone explain how performing a traditional mantis set will make you a better fighter than performing a wushu set?

I am aware of the lack of fighting history in wushu....no need to go there.

But, does practicing a traditional set with no opponent really make you that much better at fighting?

You don't see how forms - as part of a complete training program - help?

What do you study?

Sure I know how forms as a part of a complete training programs can help.

That was not the question.

I was wondering how different people think practicing a traditional solo set will make you a better fighter than doing a wushu set.

just curious.