Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gangster Vs. Intellectual

Blog Entries

Gangster Vs. Intellectual

MARTIAL ARTS= ART OF WAR.

SCENARIO: You just witnessed your best friend get the worst beat down you have ever seen in your life. You got pretty shook up and decided its time for you to learn martial arts so that would never happen to you.

In your neighbor hood you have two teachers. Both are very well known, so you check out both of them and liked the schools equally. Here's your dilemma.....which one to choose?

Although you equally like both schools, one of the teachers is a nice guy, has lots of students, is very like-able, works hard at promoting the system. He possesses alot of technical knowledge, but has NEVER had to use his martial arts in any type of real life combat.

The other teacher always has a good number of students, is a like-able guy, works hard a promoting the system, has technical knowledge, but has a gangster-ish back ground, AND......has ACTUALLY USED his martial arts in actual combat more than once in his life.

So if you guys were looking for a teacher or a specific martial art.......what would you do in this situation? Which teacher would you pick?

If you pick the "intellectual" teacher please explain your reasons.

If you pick the "gangster-ish" teacher please explain your reasons.

Thanks to any of those who participates in this thread.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

As long as there is no pressure to join any kind of criminal gang, then I would pick the gangsta ... I'm sure you would too and for pretty much the same reasons.

There are those that know because they understand, and those that know because they have been there ( and carry all the baggage that goes with it and yes, there is ALWAYS baggage).
    Those that have been there tend to be more up to adapting and to innovating their system.
    That gives them the edge.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    That makes sense.

See, people like Professor Lau Bun was one of those that had been there. But this isn't about the topic.

I agree, I would pick the gangster, because to me martial arts is meant to teach you how to use your martial arts in real life situations. He knows what works, and what to modify to make it work.

IMO the intellectual teacher, meaning a teacher who detests the gangter type, couldn't offer me anything but knowledge. I mean, i've known third degree blackbelts in tae kwon do who took one of our classes only to realize they don't know how to defend themselves on the street. there is no way an intellectual type teacher could tell you how to fight if he's never fought in his life.

in other words, if i never learned Calculus, how can i tell you how to apply it?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    That makes sense.

See, people like Professor Lau Bun was one of those that had been there. But this isn't about the topic.

I agree, I would pick the gangster, because to me martial arts is meant to teach you how to use your martial arts in real life situations. He knows what works, and what to modify to make it work.

IMO the intellectual teacher, meaning a teacher who detests the gangter type, couldn't offer me anything but knowledge. I mean, i've known third degree blackbelts in tae kwon do who took one of our classes only to realize they don't know how to defend themselves on the street. there is no way an intellectual type teacher could tell you how to fight if he's never fought in his life.

in other words, if i never learned Calculus, how can i tell you how to apply it?
    Luckly there is a in between, there are instructors that have had practical application of their MA and even VS other trained MA and have no criminal ties.

Blog Entries
    If past criminal ties bother you, then i'd understand looking for an alternative.

But if joining a school whose teacher was ONCE a thug who's used it on the streets isn't a problem because his past is his past, IMO, this is the type of teacher who could really share his knowledge of violent confrontations.

There are alot of sports minded teachers, but they still lack one element the streets have to offer. Life or death. Usually, in a ring, you won't die. But out in the streets, you can only pray you don't die.

If past criminal ties bother you, then i'd understand looking for an alternative.

But if joining a school whose teacher was ONCE a thug who's used it on the streets isn't a problem because his past is his past, IMO, this is the type of teacher who could really share his knowledge of violent confrontations.

There are alot of sports minded teachers, but they still lack one element the streets have to offer. Life or death. Usually, in a ring, you won't die. But out in the streets, you can only pray you don't die.
    I know many a teacher ( I won't put myself there because I no longer teach), that have practical experience and never were criminals - Former LEO's, security types (not the rent-a-cops but bodyguards and such), former military, etc.

I have yet to see a street fight work favorably for any martial art. You can kick the groin faster, or block the punch and give some pain back yourself, but the reality is... unless you have the magic punch/kick, it'll end up on the ground. With the adreneline flowing, most people barrel right through punches and kicks. I'm pretty experienced with street fighting. Not so experienced with how schools teach.

Best school-trained street fighter I saw was a boxer. He hit me like 3 times before I even knew what happened. And most importantly... they were good hits. I tackled him after that.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I have yet to see a street fight work favorably for any martial art. You can kick the groin faster, or block the punch and give some pain back yourself, but the reality is... unless you have the magic punch/kick, it'll end up on the ground. With the adreneline flowing, most people barrel right through punches and kicks. I'm pretty experienced with street fighting. Not so experienced with how schools teach.

Best school-trained street fighter I saw was a boxer. He hit me like 3 times before I even knew what happened. And most importantly... they were good hits. I tackled him after that.
    You need to get out more

Blog Entries
    I have yet to see a street fight work favorably for any martial art

Get out more!

People get it wrong because most people think you have to become the MARTIAL ART to fight with the techniques in it. But I have never claimed to be a martial arts "FIGHTER"........a street fighting with a gung fu background is more like it.

Blog Entries
    http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/12..._a_Parking_Lot

in the video above, whether or not he was a martial artist, he knew how to fight. NO ONE can deny, if you know chop choy, the black dude was landing chop choy's on his arse like there was no tomorrow.

yeah, the fight did go to the floor like drake said things may go, just the only thing was only one guy went down to the ground. more than once!!!

Blog Entries
    most people barrel right through punches and kicks..

thats why we have sidesteps. a good fighter will know what to do.

i never learned wrestling, but due to my street fighting skills i know more about wrestling that i realized. like the guillatine for example, i was never TAUGHT that, it was something i did out of necessity. the more i did it, the more i learned how to make it work for me.

anyways, i incorporate my gung fu into my street fighting, not street fighting into my gung fu. people who do that are Gung Fools.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/12..._a_Parking_Lot

in the video above, whether or not he was a martial artist, he knew how to fight. NO ONE can deny, if you know chop choy, the black dude was landing chop choy's on his arse like there was no tomorrow.

yeah, the fight did go to the floor like drake said things may go, just the only thing was only one guy went down to the ground. more than once!!!
    That boy was floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee

i would go with the gangster as everybody deserves a second chance no matter what they did and he also has experiance

I see what you're getting at and appreciate the question Bro Frank. If they
    were both good, likeable, respected in KF community, and had good know-
    ledge of their respective systems I really don't think the difference would be
    that great. Sure the "gangster" may focus a little more on fighting or brutality
    but that doesn't necessarily exclude the "intelligent" sifu from the mix either.
    If they are both good schools, then get in where you fit in. I just don't always
    equate gangsters with moral code. And i guess on the flip side some of you
    don't equate intelligence with fighting.
    In the GRAND scheme of things does it really matter? Neither one can teach
    you how to repel bullets. Waaay too many guns in the streets of VA and my
    native Queens, NY. and i'm sure in SF too. If i want to learn just to fight with
    brutality, i may choose the gangsterish guy, to answer your question. But when
    I'm old or dead i want my kids to look back at me as "intelligent", and not
    "gangster". I know some real gangsters and some fake ones and i'm not
    rushing to let any of 'em babysit any time soon.