Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 punches of wing chun

8 punches of wing chun

I learned them from a white guy and he does not teach the chinese terminology. I was wondering if someone could tell me which punches are which in chinese/ english . Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I learned them from a white guy..........
    Funny.

May help everyone if you give the English names you were taught imo. This 'white guy' did teach the English names didn't he?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

on punches

Dont know who the "white"guy is or what he does.. Classifications can vary...
    and context is relevant.
    here is one set that I am reasonably familiar with:

Kuen = fist or punch
    8 families of Wing Chun punches are

1. chair kuen = pulling vertical punch
    2. chaap kuen = low punch
    3. ngoi faan kuen = inside whip punch
    4. hoi faan kuen = outside whip punch
    5. doi gok kuen = diagonal punch
    6. chour kuen = hammerfist
    7. joong-lo kuen = drilling punch
    8. tai kuen = raising punch

There are variations depending on structural and positioning details.

Back to the thread.Dont know whether it will go south.

joy chaudhuri

joy chaudhuri

Hi Joy, I'll look up the Romanizations for the punches you wrote. There are no "r" sounds in Cantonese.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Right Phil

I just say cha kuen or something like that.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Kuen = fist or punch
    8 families of Wing Chun punches are,,,
    Some familiar terms in your post Joy, with or without the right Romanization! I really don't know if this is what tattooedmonk had in mind, as I too have heard many terms for the fist depending on it's purpose.

Chaap Kuen (threading fist) is very common in Lee Shing family I believe.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

This white guy here has only heard of one punch! It's vertical or something thereof and it (usually) goes to the centreline/nose.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

couch sez

This white guy here has only heard of one punch! It's vertical or something thereof and it (usually) goes to the centreline/nose.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The "vertical" punch is the foundation punch- developed via the slt stage . It gives rise to other punches depending on gates, levels and the ma-s for further development...and evolves
    depending on whether a live person is before you and what else is happening in relationships of positions, distance and vectors.

joy chaudhuri ( not a white guy-but it doesnt matter-as Gertrude Stein probably meant or should have said- a punch is a punch is a punch <g>)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hi Joy, I'll look up the Romanizations for the punches you wrote. There are no "r" sounds in Cantonese.
    I thought, in the yale romanization, that an 'r' at the end of a word was silent and indicated a certain pronounciation....but my Cantonese is poor.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

serioiusly

let's not be RIDICIROUS

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    I thought, in the yale romanization, that an 'r' at the end of a word was silent and indicated a certain pronounciation....but my Cantonese is poor.
    Nope, no 'r's in Yale Romanization. That's the one I learned in college and our Prof. who was from Canton, was adamant that there is no 'r' in Cantonese.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Nope, no 'r's in Yale Romanization. That's the one I learned in college and our Prof. who was from Canton, was adamant that there is no 'r' in Cantonese.
    Where did the R in Gar for arts like Hung Gar come from ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Where did the R in Gar for arts like Hung Gar come from ?
    It's Hung Ga, not Hung Gar. Think of it like this. People who didn't know how to Romanize the Chinese language just used approximations. I will say it again. THERE ARE NO "R" SOUNDS IN THE CANTONESE DIALECT. There are "r" sounds in Mandarin.
    Yale University's Romanization is considered one of the best for Cantonese. The U.S. Dept. of Foreign Service uses it. That's the one I learned. I've even heard a story that Bruce Lee made one of the writters on The Game of Death mad so he added lots of "r" sounds to Bruce's dialogue to mess him up. My Sifu uses Larp sao but says lop sao. A native Chinese speaker doesn't learn Chinese with Roman letters so they basically write what they think a westerner might understand. Remember Lethal Weapon 4
    Uncle Benny: Flied lice? It's fried rice, you plick. That was a play on the fact that Cantonese has no 'r'.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

But what has all this no 'r' madness got to do with the 8 Punches of Wing Chun??!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術