Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest question to all regarding Gwai ma

Honest question to all regarding Gwai ma

Because I honestly am interested in a open discussion, I am going to ask a question that stemmed from another recent thread:

Does your system of WC have Gwai ma? (whether in a form or not..)
    If so, what can you tell me about it? What does the term Gwai ma mean to you?
    What is it's function? What are the mechanics? What concepts or principles drive it (if any)?

Jonathan

Jonathan,

do you have an answer to your questions?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I never heard of it , so I don't know. What does it mean in English?
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Jonathan's question on gwai ma.

I give my own opinion- and speak for no one else and quarrel with none..In some ways simple=
    no mysteries.
    Presumably gwai ma-involves dynamic stancing involving knee dipping. Principles of knee usage emerges in many places in wing chun. It need not be in biu jee-it can be in some folk's biu jee
    or in dummy, weapon or various drills. In application- like many wing chun motions depending on timing, skill and experience it can be used for attacking, jamming, breaking, deflecting , dipping low attack and other goodies. Basically- a name until meaning is provided for it.

joy chaudhuri

SC69, literal translation would be kneeling horse/stance; only one dipping knee (thanks Joy) at a time though.

I've not trained enough to see it where I have trained. I have seen it applied by a Yip Chun lineage teacher. He got the opponent's back, collapsed their stance so that *they* were kneeling and used body weight and gwai ma across their calves as a means of control.

It threw me there,I call it Gwai sut.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Because I honestly am interested in a open discussion, I am going to ask a question that stemmed from another recent thread:

Does your system of WC have Gwai ma? (whether in a form or not..)
    If so, what can you tell me about it? What does the term Gwai ma mean to you?
    What is it's function? What are the mechanics? What concepts or principles drive it (if any)?

Jonathan
    Yes, as I understand.To some Master Yip Man taught this as a development drill to prepare for Lu Dim Boon Guan along with others. It has use in wc not in dropping down to punch groin like some other system but in Kum la like CFT mention by Ip Chun instructor he has seen. It seem to be taught less over year because not many people go this high training under Master Yip. It is also found in Yong chun white crane and pole form of Crane. If this helps to you!

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    SC69, literal translation would be kneeling horse/stance; only one dipping knee (thanks Joy) at a time though.

I've not trained enough to see it where I have trained. I have seen it applied by a Yip Chun lineage teacher. He got the opponent's back, collapsed their stance so that *they* were kneeling and used body weight and gwai ma across their calves as a means of control.
    Chee is correct. It's kneeling (horse) stance. Maybe I'l put up a clip of some of it's applications on my website.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by NgGung View Post
    Yes, as I understand.To some Master Yip Man taught this as a development drill to prepare for Lu Dim Boon Guan along with others. It has use in wc not in dropping down to punch groin like some other system but in Kum la like CFT mention by Ip Chun instructor he has seen. It seem to be taught less over year because not many people go this high training under Master Yip. It is also found in Yong chun white crane and pole form of Crane. If this helps to you!
    I find 2 clips from Weng Chun system also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq73JRPJPEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a498N...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    It's kneeling (horse) stance.
    This was posted a week or so ago....
    Is it what we see here at 1:08 ?

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ui6rj58DA0

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

It appears in Hei Ban Wing Chun in Chum Kiu form, where the motion is carried out in 2 (of the 10) sections. It was taught as:

a) level change to avoid a strike;
    b) redirecting received force with the oscillation of the hip;
    c) to enable a mid to low level hand strike; and
    d) kum-na to bring an opponent down

It was also taught in a continuous drill where you redirect, drop knee (and strike) and then repeat on the other side.

It also appears in the sword form where it is more for avoidance and slashing low.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Good question.

John D. Virgilio's line (Robert Yeung) has it but not in their biu gee, as a stand alone san sik.
    No time to discuss it now, but it's for distancing, low driving punch, set up for arrow punch and other drastic footwork, and there's a trip involved from some angles if I rmember rightly
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    This was posted a week or so ago....
    Is it what we see here at 1:08 ?

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ui6rj58DA0

DREW
    I would say yes.

Read the thread now... Yep, John Virgilio's line call that move gwai ma too, and teach that application, though there was also one where you put say your right foot behind their left heel, drop for the gwai ma with the punch and twist in so you basically occupy their space and drop them backwards right there as a trip.

EDIT: not far off this one from sambo. The difference was it's from a closer distance already (you don't step in) so you can drive straight down and through their centre with a punch. Incidentally, the shoulder strikes I learnt in Sam Kwok's line worked very well with the gwai ma in this way (almost exactly like that sambo one) when I learned this trip in MMA.
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 01-24-2008 at 06:50 AM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

My Sifu taught it as Kwai Saat.

I use the motion when I need to lower myself for any reason quickly. I have heard of it used successfully or defending a shoot.

My long-time kung-fu brother (Dave) went to train at an MMA school where the instructor received a concussion from this movement. The instructor went for the shoot and his opponent dropped one knee while twisting his hip bone into the instructor's head. He was knocked to the floor with a concussion. Dave was exchanging acupuncture treatments (for post-concussion symptoms) for instruction!!!

Just some tidbits.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels