Thread: Conor McGregor: Notorious

Conor McGregor: Notorious

I thought I started a thread that corralled all of the MMA documentaries already but it didn't come up on a cursory search. I'll put that on my 'to do' list here.

Conor McGregor Doc 'Notorious' Gets U.S. Release (Exclusive)
    3:00 AM PDT 10/17/2017 by Alex Ritman

Getty Images
    Conor McGregor

Trafalgar Releasing will launch the doc about the Dublin-born MMA fighter-turned-boxing star who recently took on Floyd Mayweather.
    Less than three months after Conor McGregor unsuccessfully challenged Floyd Mayweather in a record-breaking match labeled the "biggest fight in combat sports history," audiences across the U.S. will get to see the feature-length rags-to-riches story of the MMA fighter-turned-boxing star.

Conor McGregor: Notorious is being released theatrically by Trafalgar Releasing across the U.S. for one night on Nov. 8, being presented alongside an exclusive interview with McGregor himself, captured live at the film's world premiere in his hometown of Dublin.

The only official account of the fighter's journey, Notorious will tell the story of how McGregor went from a plumbing apprenticeship to life on benefits to being the biggest name in MMA and the current UFC lightweight champion, known for his attitude and infamous swagger, not to mention a paycheck from his Mayweather bout estimated to be in excess of $100 million.

Shot over the course of four years, the film features unprecedented access, never-before-seen moments and fight footage. Notorious also includes highlights from throughout McGregor's career, such as him winning the UFC championship belt in just 13 seconds and his shock loss to rival Nate Diaz, culminating in his recent foray into the world of boxing.

U.K.-based startup Trafalgar Releasing launched earlier this year when the distribution assets of the Picturehouse Cinemas chain were acquired in a multimillion-dollar deal and rebranded. Its primary focus is alternative content and event cinema, with releases so far including Black Sabbath: The End of End, David Gilmour Live at Pompeii and projects from distribution partners the Royal Shakespeare Company and the Royal Opera House.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

McGregor loses it

This article is full of embedded vids that I didn't copy&paste here.

Early Lead
    Conor McGregor arrested after rampage at UFC event

By Matt Bonesteel and Des Bieler April 6 at 10:33 AM
    UFC fighter Conor McGregor allegedly attacked a bus carrying fighters and staffers at a UFC event on April 5. It's not his first time causing controversy. (Allie Caren/The Washington Post)

Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor turned himself in to police Thursday and was arrested and charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after his role in a fracas that left UFC fighter Michael Chiesa in the hospital with a facial laceration. The incident took place after a media event ahead of Saturday’s UFC 223 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

According to the Independent, McGregor was held overnight and remained in police custody early Friday morning as he awaited a court appearance in Brooklyn. MMA Fighting reported that Cian Cowley, McGregor’s SBG teammate, also was charged with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief over the incident.

McGregor was led out of the 78th Precinct in Brooklyn for a court appearance Friday morning, according to video posted by New York’s WNBC.

Three matches scheduled for Saturday’s UFC 223 card were scrapped because of the incident, cutting the card to 10 bouts. Chiesa, who was to fight Anthony Pettis, was cut in the face and was in the hospital; he has been deemed unfit to fight by the New York State Athletic Commission and the UFC medical team. Ray Borg, a flyweight who was scheduled to battle Brandon Moreno, also was deemed unfit to fight after suffering corneal abrasions. Artem Lobov, a McGregor friend and ally who was part of the incident, also was pulled from the card.

Separately, Max Holloway, who was scheduled to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov for the UFC lightweight belt in the headline bout, was declared medically unfit to fight by the athletic commission before Friday’s weigh-in.The status of the title bout remains unclear. According to MMA Junkie, Anthony Pettis — who had been scheduled to fight Chiesa — has been called upon to fight Nurmagomedov, although reports indicated other fighters might still be chosen.

UFC President Dana White said Friday morning that he had been in contact with McGregor, and that the fighter had attempted to justify his actions. White said the fracas was not prompted by McGregor getting stripped of his lightweight belt earlier this week, but rather by previous bad feelings between McGregor’s camp and Nurmagomedov, the Russian fighter scheduled to face Holloway for McGregor’s vacated belt in Saturday’s main event. Nurmagomedov was filmed in a confrontation at a hotel with Lobov, the McGregor friend, earlier this week.

“Conor and I talked through text yesterday, obviously the worst conversation we have ever had, ” White said during a Friday morning appearance on Fox Sports 1’s “First Things First,” adding that the conversation took place before McGregor turned himself in. “It’s not that I don’t think he understood what happened, it’s just … he justified it, it was justified to him. … [He thought] it had to be done.”

White said McGregor and his crew — “20 hoodlums they flew in from Ireland” — gained access to the arena thanks to “people on the inside” who were covering the event for McGregor’s company. The confrontation came when the McGregor entourage attacked a bus filled with fighters and staffers, including Nurmagomedov, as the bus began to leave Barclays Center following Thursday’s media event.

“These buses are full of a ton of fighters and their cornermen,” White said. “And they’re just throwing things into the windows not caring who they hit. … They hit Mike Chiesa. Mike Chiesa has nothing to do with this. … Many of the fighters and cornermen have nothing to do with this situation.”

First Things First

@FTFonFS1
    "When Conor found out, he loaded up the plane full of guys from Ireland, flew over here & coordinated this attack."@DanaWhite explains what lead to the McGregor incident at Barclays

5:17 AM - Apr 6, 2018
    501 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    In an appearance later Friday on ESPN’s “Get Up!” White said the incident was not a stunt meant to generate publicity for UFC, which has lost a number of star fighters in recent months to boxing (McGregor fought Floyd Mayweather in a lucrative bout last year), pro wrestling (Ronda Rousey) and a combination of wrestling and failed doping tests (Brock Lesnar).

“This is the last stunt on Earth we would ever pull. I mean, this is embarrassing for the sport and obviously for the UFC,” White said. “This is the furthest thing from a stunt.”

White added that McGregor won’t be getting any sort of bailout from UFC.

“Normally, yes — I would dive right in and do everything in my power to help one of my guys,” White said on the ESPN show. “But not in this situation. He came into the Barclays Center, attacked our fighters, and attacked my staff with a bunch of guys — no. You don’t get my help on this one.”

Videos posted to social media showed a chaotic scene Thursday, with at least one guardrail being flung and general disorder. (A fuller video of the bus incident is here; it contains explicit language.)

“Conor went bananas and put a beating on the van that we were in,” Chiesa’s coach Rick Little told MMA Junkie. “A million security guards had to restrain him. Mike’s cut up now. He’s got marks on him, for sure. I don’t think too serious. Everything happened so fast, it was just like we got jumped.”

Little told the site that his fighter had been cut by shattered glass. And some media members at the arena reported that the target of McGrergor’s ire was apparently Nurmagomedov, who seemed to believe that was the case.

“I am laughing inside,” the Russian told MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani. “You broke window? Why? Come inside. If you real gangster why don’t you come inside? This is big history gangster place. Brooklyn. You want to talk to me? Send me location. I am going to come. No problem.”

White on Thursday called the incident the most despicable thing in UFC history, according to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto.

“You want to grab 30 [expletive] friends and come down here and do what you did today?” White said in a video posted by Okamoto. “It’s disgusting. And I don’t think anybody is going to be huge Conor McGregor fans after this. I don’t know if he’s on drugs or what his deal is, but to come and do this and act like this?”

White had announced earlier this week there would be “no interim champ” following Saturday’s scheduled lightweight main event between Max Holloway and Nurmagomedov.

“When this fight is over, champion,” White said at a news conference, gesturing to Nurmagomedov and Holloway. “One of these guys will be the champion.”

This news was not taken well by McGregor, the previous permanent holder of that title.

“You’s’ll strip me of nothing,” he tweeted very early Thursday morning, before calling UFC officials an unprintable word.

McGregor won the lightweight title by defeating Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 in a November 2016 bout but stepped away from the octagon to train for last year’s lucrative boxing match against Floyd Mayweather. Tony Ferguson stepped in to win an interim lightweight belt in McGregor’s absence, but White said Saturday’s bout between Nurmagomedov and Holloway will decide a new official champion.

“Tony Ferguson isn’t being stripped. The only person here who is losing a belt is Conor. Conor’s losing the belt, these two are fighting for the belt,” White said at the news conference.

Before Thursday’s fracas, White insisted that McGregor “is coming back this year, 100 percent,” adding, “We’ll see how this thing plays out [with the lightweight title], and we’ll go from there.”

He later reiterated that stance on Fox Sports’ “UFC Tonight,” saying: “Conor does want to fight. Conor and I have been talking a lot. Conor does want to come back, he does want to fight, so he will fight this year.”

That was before Thursday’s events, which figure to forever change McGregor’s relationship with UFC.
    THREADS
    Conor McGregor Notorious
    Busted MMA fighters and fights
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Good fighter.
    But clearly a jack wagon and emotionally retarded.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

He should be fired, and forced to pay all medical expenses incurred, as well as reimburse the fighters who were unable to fight because of his idiotic actions. Period. If Dana White doesn't do it, then he probably put Conor up to it, and Conor took it too far. He very well could have blinded one of the fighters, and all he has to say is, "It had to be done."

I used to respect him as a fighter anyway, but now he's lost all of my respect. Not that he would give a **** how anybody else feels.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-09-2018 at 08:12 AM.

regrets

Who wouldn't regret killing their cash cow for the hide?

MMA star McGregor says he regrets Brooklyn melee
    POSTED 9:03 PM, JUNE 18, 2018, BY GGROTHEER AND ASSOCIATED PRESS

LAS VEGAS, NV - AUGUST 26: Conor McGregor stands in the ring after being defeated by Floyd Mayweather Jr. by TKO in the 10th round of their super welterweight boxing match on August 26, 2017 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

NEW YORK — Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor expressed regret Thursday for an incident backstage at a Brooklyn arena in April that saw him caught on camera throwing a hand truck at a bus filled with fighters.

He is negotiating a plea deal to resolve the criminal charges in the case.

McGregor, 29, and his friend, fellow fighter, and co-defendant Cian Cowley, 25, remained free on bail after a brief court appearance Thursday – the appearance lasted shorter than a typical five-minute round in the UFC octagon. A deal would almost surely reduce or eliminate their time in jail; McGregor and Cowley each face up to seven years in prison on a top charge of felony criminal mischief.

“I regret my actions that led me here today,” said McGregor after the appearance. “I understand the seriousness of this matter and I’m hopeful to get it resolved soon.”

Judge Raymond Rodriguez ordered them to return July 26.

Assistant District Attorney Janet Gleeson said the case hasn’t been presented to a grand jury for possible indictment because of the plea negotiations. Cowley echoed McGregor’s interest to resolve the matter quickly, after his fight in Belfast Saturday, that he hoped to get the case “out of the way.”

McGregor hasn’t fought since the April melee. He was stripped of the UFC’s 155-pound championship belt in April due to the fact that he had not fought in 17 months. During his spell from the UFC, McGregor tried his hand at boxing and earned $30 million in a loss to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. last August.

The UFC star lamented that he would not be able to ascend to No. 2 on Forbes’ list of the highest-paid athletes in the world from his current position of No. 4. His arrest cost him a shot at fighting at UFC 224 on May 12.

“Something came up however,” he wrote on Instagram last week.

McGregor was caught on camera attacking the bus in a Barclays Center loading dock after a press event ahead of UFC 223 with an entourage described by UFC President Dana White as “20 hoodlums that flew in from Ireland.” McGregor and company were allegedly looking for retaliation against the event’s main fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov, who had been involved in a skirmish with McGregor’s friend, Artem Lobov.

The video featured McGregor throwing items including garbage cans and the aforementioned hand truck. Nurmagomedov said he had to be restrained from fighting McGregor. Fellow fighters Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa were forced from their matches due to injuries from shattered glass.

White said that McGregor had claimed via text message that it “had to be done,” just before the Irish fighter turned himself into police.

***Associated Contributed to this report***
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Assault in Dublin

I just realized some of the McGregor offences have been listed on our Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee thread, but I'm going to try to list them here from now on just because it seems more fitting, given the title. I think I've copied most of them to our 'busted' thread too.

Conor McGregor charged with assault for bar punch in Dublin
    Oct 4, 2019
    Marc Raimondi
    ESPN Staff Writer

Conor McGregor has been charged with assault for punching a man in a Dublin, Ireland, bar in April.

McGregor, the former UFC two-division champion, was formally served with a summons and is due in a Dublin court Oct. 11 on the charge, McGregor spokesperson Karen Kessler confirmed with ESPN's Ariel Helwani. McGregor's team had no further comment.

Per the The Independent, the assault charge carries a maximum prison term of six months if convicted, a fine of $1,646, or both.

The incident occurred April 6 at the Marble Arch pub. McGregor, 31, was captured on camera punching a man, who was sitting at the bar, in the face. The man is in his 50s.

In an August interview with ESPN, McGregor expressed remorse for his "unacceptable behavior" in the situation.

"I was in the wrong," McGregor said. "That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. ... I tried to make amends, and I made amends back then. But it doesn't matter. I was in the wrong. I must come here before you and take accountability and take responsibility. I owe it to the people that have been supporting me. I owe it to my mother, my father, my family. I owe it to the people who trained me in martial arts. That's not who I am. That's not the reason why I got into martial arts or studying combat sports. The reason I got into it was to defend against that type of scenario."

McGregor (21-4) has not fought since a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018. Since then, he has had a series of outside-the-cage issues. The Irishman was arrested in March in Miami for smashing a man's cell phone outside a club. Later that month, the New York Times reported that McGregor was under investigation in Ireland for alleged sexual assault. McGregor tweeted around the same time that he was retired from MMA, but has since backed off from that statement.

"I must get my head screwed on and just get back in the game and fight for redemption, retribution, respect -- the things that made me the man I am," McGregor told ESPN in August. "And that's what I will do."
    THREADS
    Conor McGregor Notorious
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Good ol McGregor, keeping honor and dignity in the martial arts once again. This one is some speculation, but it's not entirely out of character for him as he is currently going through a sexual assault trial in Ireland

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/10/...ufc-crime-news

Online outlet Insider is currently investigating Los Angeles club and restaurant Delilah over claims that the establishment, ‘allows employees to be vulnerable to mistreatment by celebrities.’ During their investigation that outlet claims to have uncovered a story involving former UFC champion Conor McGregor and his entourage.

Insider quotes two former Delilah employees in their report over a supposed incident that took place this March. The outlet writes that details are ‘hazy,’ but two eyewitnesses told them they were present when McGregor and a group of friends were being rowdy at the establishment.

According to Insider one of the witnesses said at some point McGregor picked up a woman who was working bottle service and put her over his shoulder. The witness said that McGregor passed the woman onto another member of his entourage who then carried the woman to an SUV that was parked outside.

The witness told Insider they saw “fear” in the eyes of the woman who they said was carried outside. The second witness told Insider that they followed McGregor’s group as they moved outside towards where the SUV was parked. Outside that witness said they saw the woman in the back of the SUV trying to roll down the window. That witness is quoted as saying the woman was “freaking out.”

According to the witness a manager then came outside and threatened to call the police. The first witness said the woman eventually came out of the car, looking “rattled.”

Insider reached out to McGregor’s camp for comment. They were put in touch with Bellator fighter Charlie Ward, who previously fought in the UFC. Ward, a close friend of McGregor, told Insider that is was him that went to the SUV with the staffer on the night in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

CCTV footage

Mixed martial arts star McGregor appears in court in assault case
    3 days ago

FILE PHOTO: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Conor McGregor

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor appeared in court on Friday over an alleged assault on a man in a Dublin pub in April.

The 31-year-old Irish fighter stood at the back of the Dublin courtroom as his solicitor, Michael Staines, asked for the case to be adjourned until Nov. 1 pending the disclosure of evidence.

A policeman told the court that included CCTV footage.

Judge Marie Keane asked the twice Ultimate Fighting Championship title-holder, dressed in a navy pattern suit, to appear again in three weeks' time when he would be asked to enter a plea or seek a date for the case to be heard.

McGregor was charged in a separate case in April 2018 with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after police said he attacked a charter bus in New York carrying UFC fighters.

He pleaded guilty to a reduced disorderly conduct charge in that case.

(Reporting by Padraic Halpin; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
    I guess we'll get back to this in three weeks or so...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

fined 1,000 euro

1000 euro = $1117.04 USD

NOVEMBER 1, 2019 / 7:59 AM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
    Mixed martial arts star McGregor convicted of assault, fined 1,000 euro
    1 MIN READ

Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor attends a news conference in Moscow, Russia, October 24, 2019. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
    DUBLIN (Reuters) - Irish mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor was convicted on Friday of assault for punching a man in a Dublin pub in April and was fined 1,000 euros.

The 31-year-old twice Ultimate Fighting Championship title-holder, was released after pleading guilty and apologizing to his victim in Dublin’s District Court.

The man who was punched said in a letter to the court that he accepted McGregor’s apology.

McGregor was charged in a separate case in April 2018 with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after police said he attacked a charter bus in New York carrying UFC fighters.

He pleaded guilty to a reduced disorderly conduct charge in that case.

Reporting by Conor Humphries; Editing by Hugh Lawson
    THREADS
    Conor McGregor Notorious
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Conor Mcgregor Breaks ANKLE/LEG in Main Event vs Dustin

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Man, I can't stand watching this one.

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor To Make Acting Debut In Jake Gyllenhaal-Led ‘Road House’ For Prime Video

By Justin Kroll
    Senior Film Reporter
    @krolljvar

August 3, 2022 8:00am

(L-R) Conor McGregor and Jake Gyllenhaal
    Dave Fogarty; GI
    EXCLUSIVE: In what would mark his first acting job in a major studio movie, two-time UFC champion Conor McGregor is set to join Jake Gyllenhaal in Prime Video’s new reimagining of the classic ’80s action pic Road House. He joins a cast that already includes Billy Magnussen, Daniela Melchior, Gbemisola Ikumelo, Lukas Gage, Hannah Love Lanier, Travis Van Winkle, B.K. Cannon, Arturo Castro, Dominique Columbus, Beau Knapp and Bob Menery.

Doug Liman is directing from a script written by Anthony Bagarozzi & Charles Mondry. Joel Silver is producing for his company, Silver Pictures. JJ Hook, Alison Winter and Aaron Auch will serve as executive producers.

The new take follows a former UFC fighter (Gyllenhaal) who takes a job as a bouncer at a rough-and-tumble roadhouse in the Florida Keys, but soon discovers that not everything is what it seems in this tropical paradise. While exact details behind who McGregor will be playing are unknown, sources made it clear he would be playing an original character and not himself in the project. The Amazon Original Movie is set to go into production in the Dominican Republic this month and will stream on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide at release.

Hollywood has been trying for some time to get in business with the UFC superstar, but McGregor didn’t want to just jump into anything and wanted the project he made his debut in to be the right fit. Insiders say when he got wind there was interest for him to join Road House, he actually watched the film for the first time and, after enjoying the original, was game to meet to see how he would play a part in the new film. Sources add that after a meeting with Silver, McGregor was all in and loved the idea where the new story was headed compared to the original.

The film’s cast was already going to get plenty of eyeballs, but the addition of McGregor only helps that given the global reach he has over the years of headlining major UFC PPV events, and its expected those fans will tune in for this as well.

While McGregor has shot dozens of commercials for his various business ventures, Road House will be his first foray into feature films. He is repped by WME, Patrick Knapp of GGSS&C and Audie Attar of Paradigm Sports Management.
    Road-House-Redux
    Conor McGregor
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips