Thread: Pacquiao wants to do MMA!!!!!

Blog Entries

Pacquiao wants to do MMA!!!!!

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    be a dumb move on his part.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

they make it sound like white threw toney to the wolves simply because he was a boxer... and although there may be a kernal of truth to that, james toney followed white around and begged him for a fight while saying to anyone who would listen that he could beat any mma fighter... so he got couture... and couture isnt the best anymore, he couldve got worse... but it would have been an insult to put anyone else up against toney... randy couture is in a unique position where he can still fight but wont be champ again, so he just wants to have fun now... i bet if mir, lesnar or any of those guys were asked to fight toney they would have said no, nothing worth gaining from that fight...

pacquiao may do ok, but he's not ufc caliber... once somebody is a superstar, how do they start at the bottom again... he cant fight local events he's too popular, and he isnt good enough to fight in national or international mma fights...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Agreed. Not unless he spends alot of time on takedown defense and ground skills. Otherwise it will be a repeat of the Couture/Toney fight.

quick takedown, then G&P to submit.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

I'd watch it though, at least.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

everybody would watch it... if the mayweather fight doesnt happen maybe this would be a good alternative for him... in boxing, whos he gonna fight??? who can beat him???

it wpould have to be his people that put it on tho, and he'd have to find an opponent that is basically just a striker that has so far been a good enough striker that he hasnt had much need for a ground game... takedown defence is enough for some...

any other news on this???

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I agree. he would have to spend time working on his wrestling, submission, takedown defense and kickboxing before seriously considering to even compete in MMA. Just because you're a boxer doesn't mean you can automatically fight in MMA. You're not worried about being submitted, or taken down or kicked in your legs in boxing. MMA you do.

He's fighting Margarito in Nov.

Also he was just elected as a congressman in the Philippines.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/wo...acquiao&st=cse
    So, you know, he might be a little busy.

If he were to try it, and I don't think he will, he is known for ridiculously strong legs, so the crossover might (and its a big might) not be that difficult for him to make. Roach has some experience training UFC guys. I don't Roach think would approve of it though.

Of course anyone who fights him is going straight for the take down. To try to face him standing up would be insane.
    Last edited by wenshu; 09-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Manny Pacquiao may not fight in the U.S. again, according to Bob Arum

Bob Arum, boxing great Manny Pacquiao's promoter, doesn't think the Filipino fighter will fight in the U.S. Again. According to the Los Angeles Times, the culprit is taxes.

"By fighting outside the country, as he’s doing in this Rios fight, Manny doesn’t have to pay U.S. taxes anymore – at a rate of 40% for a foreign
    athlete," Arum said. "If this pay-per-view and other things take off like we think they may, I can’t imagine Pacquiao will ever again fight in the U.S.”

Pacquiao is fighting Brandon Rios in Macau, China on Nov. 23. The fight will take place in the morning in China so that American consumers can still watch it on Saturday night. A similar arrangement was used during the Beijing Olympics for prime events like gymnastics and swimming.

Chinese consumers will also be able to buy the fight for just $5, adding to the money from pay-per-views in America and elsewhere. Arum said they could generate $10-$20 million in sales for this event.

But not having the most popular boxer in the world not fight in the U.S. again hurts. His last 14 fights were in the U.S., including two bouts in Dallas at Cowboys Stadium.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...134724436.html

at a rate of 40% for a foreign
    athlete
    don't blame him if they are taking 40% that's a chunk.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Pacquiao doesn't want to do MMA...

...Pacquiao wants to ca$h in on the PRC. Can you blame him though? Who doesn't want to do that?

Forget Shaolin Temple; China execs tap Pacquiao
    By Roy Luarca |Philippine Daily Inquirer
    5:10 am | Thursday, August 28th, 2014

Manny Pacquiao. AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines–The land known for mystical martial arts experts is tapping the Philippines’ Manny Pacquiao to train future world boxing champions.

China, of the kung fu and Shaolin fighting monks fame, is setting up the Manny Pacquiao Boxing Education Institute in Beijing and other major cities like Shanghai and Guangzhou to further intensify its already strong sports program.

Pacquiao made the announcement on ABS-CBN television Wednesday from Shanghai, where he is on the second stop of a 43,637-kilometer, 12-day promotional blitz for his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown showdown with American Chris Algieri in Macau on Nov. 23.

“The plan is to share with them (Chinese) my boxing knowledge,” said the 35-year-old Pacquiao, the first and only eight-division world champion.

“With a population of 1.4 billion, they have so many boxers. So I think they would be able to produce good fighters, like world champions,” he added. “The important thing is to teach them the basics.”

While two-time Olympic champion Zou Shiming (2008 Beijing and 2012 London Games) is regarded as the face of Chinese boxing, he lacks the universal appeal and charisma Pacquiao commands for such an ambitious project.

Pacquiao, a congressman representing Sarangani province, was in Beijing last week to lay down the foundation of the first government-backed boxing academy that would eventually expand to 16 institutions.

According to Pacquiao, who proceeded to Macau from Beijing in time for the kickoff of the Pacquiao-Algieri road show on Monday afternoon, he had held talks with the Chinese authorities for the launch of a company to undertake the novel project.

Improving relations

“They (Chinese government) will put up the facilities, and if I have the time, I will visit them like once a month or once in three months to supervise them,” Pacquiao said.

The champion said he believed his new venture would help restore good ties between the Philippines and China, which are locked in increasingly tense territorial dispute in the South China Sea.

In an earlier cntv.cn report from Beijing, Pacquiao said “boxing has the ability to bring people together, regardless of their nationality or background.”

In the Philippines, Pacquiao provided the blueprint for the boxing academy chain with his Manny Pacquiao Boxing Academy in Digos City, Davao del Sur province.

Proving his capability to harness raw youth power, stalwarts of the academy dominated the PLDT-Abap National Amateur Boxing Championships that Digos hosted in July.

Defending his decision to impart boxing knowledge to the Chinese, Pacquiao said it would have no adverse effects on Philippine boxing, as the country had no problem producing good boxers.

“What our boxers need is more support,” said Pacquiao, who idolizes the late Chinese kung fu great Bruce Lee.

“I am already helping a few of them,” he added.

Pacquiao has a stable of boxers and never fails to help fighters in distress.

Sports powerhouse

Apart from being a global economic player, China has also emerged as a sports powerhouse, placing second to the United States in the race for overall supremacy in the London Olympics.

Two weeks ago, the Chinese ruled the 41st Chess Olympiad, ending the stranglehold of the Russians and Europeans in the biennial meet held in Tromso, Norway.

From the pool, to the mat, to the tracks, and the square board, the Chinese have made their mark.

With Pacquiao around, the Chinese intend to sow fear in the ring soon.–With reports from AFP and AP

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

sounds like he will be making a lot of cash for practically nothing.

I think Manny would be making a mistake too but he'd fare a lot better than Floyd would. (People keep shoving this BS idea of Floyd fighting Ronda Rousey down our throats for some reason.) Floyd likes to run and dodge, Manny likes to attack.

Slightly OT

Didn't know where to post this. We don't have an un-retire thread...

Boxing legend Manny Pacquiao to unretire for exhibition match with Korean YouTuber DK Yoo

Ryan General
    3 days ago

Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao is returning to the ring for the first time since his retirement to fight South Korean YouTuber DK Yoo in an exhibition match.

DK Yoo, who gained popularity as a sports and fitness instructor, first revealed that he is fighting Pacquiao via a YouTube video posted on June 21.
    Billed as “Pacman VS DK Yoo,” the exhibition match will be held in South Korea on Dec. 10.
    Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao is coming out of retirement to fight South Korean YouTuber DK Yoo in an exhibition match this December.

Officially announced on Thursday, the bout marks the eight-division world champion’s first appearance in the ring since he retired from boxing in September last year.

Pacquiao, 43, said at the time that he wanted to focus on his campaign to become president of the Philippines. He eventually lost to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. in the 2022 Philippine presidential elections in May.

DK Yoo, who gained popularity as a sports and fitness instructor, regularly posts combat sports training content on his YouTube channel, which has over 650,000 subscribers.

In recent years, he has ventured into exhibition matches with professional athletes. He last faced former UFC welterweight Brad Scott in an MMA match in December last year.

The 43-year-old South Korean challenger first revealed that he will be fighting Pacquiao, who called their match a “special event,” via a YouTube video posted on June 21.

He also posted a video on Instagram showing him and Pacquiao signing contracts inside the former senator’s home in General Santos City, Philippines, last month.

Billed as “Pacman VS DK Yoo,” the exhibition match will be held in South Korea on Dec. 10.

Featured Image via DK YOO
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart