Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: China MMA

Hybrid View

China MMA

Long time since I posted. Has anyone heard about China MMA yet. Can some of you vets take a look and give me your intelligent opinions.

Check out the website: http://www.mmachina.com:81/en/?q=node/18

Looks pretty cool to me. Similar rules to UFC, but I think you can use knees and bows when someone is down. This looks like a great venue for CMA folks that have been training for MMA to break out.

That is going to crush a lot of delusions on this board! Good stuff IMO.
    Thanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

It's always good to see new MMA. I think this could be really cool but if you notice its not tradiitional cma by any means. It's MMA in general and some of the fighters short bio's state greco-roman wrestling and boxing.

Either way its sweet that the chinese are getting into the game.

How about a San Shou vs Kareem from the game of death? This dude is a wheel kicking, spin kicking and axe kicking machine. A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1hg...elated&search=
    Last edited by rogue; 04-19-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

China MMA

http://www.youtube.com/user/artofwarfc

dun know if this is posted.

"Thanks for the invite. It's great to see Chinese martial artists breaking free of classical kungfu and making headways in the new era of mixed martial arts. Eventhough it was a China man, by the name of Bruce Lee, who both popularized and exposed the shortcomings of classic kungfu, thereby in the process became the first modern day mixed martial artists, Chinese had fallen behind in the development of MMA. While the Americans and Japanese listened intently to Bruce Lee's gospels, the Chinese turned kungfu into wushu, into dance and talked about chi nonsense with no sparring. China is the motherland of all martial arts, including karate, jujitsu, muay thai. It's about time Chinese martial artists show the world they havn't forgotten the root and spirit of martial arts. It's about time China shows the world the art of war. "

The above was a comment posted on their YouTube site. Kind've says it all.

-

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    "Thanks for the invite. It's great to see Chinese martial artists breaking free of classical kungfu and making headways in the new era of mixed martial arts. Eventhough it was a China man, by the name of Bruce Lee, who both popularized and exposed the shortcomings of classic kungfu, thereby in the process became the first modern day mixed martial artists, Chinese had fallen behind in the development of MMA. While the Americans and Japanese listened intently to Bruce Lee's gospels, the Chinese turned kungfu into wushu, into dance and talked about chi nonsense with no sparring. China is the motherland of all martial arts, including karate, jujitsu, muay thai. It's about time Chinese martial artists show the world they havn't forgotten the root and spirit of martial arts. It's about time China shows the world the art of war. "

The above was a comment posted on their YouTube site. Kind've says it all.

-
    Here, here !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Shanghaied

"a step towards the pre-war days of famous schools and infamous ‘lei-tai’ challenge matches."

Taikang Lu martial arts
    Taikang Lu is best known for its quiet galleries, trendy cafes and relaxed atmosphere but hidden away inside Building Three are a group who take beating you into submission very seriously. Unlikely as it sounds, studio 311 is home to top Brazilian Jujitsu and MMA trainer Tony Eduardo Lima.

Mixed Martial Arts encompasses several styles and professional competition circuits. American and Japanese fans follow big fights and big names in comps such as K-1, UFC and Pride, but it is just starting to catch on in China. Once the sport had time to develop it became apparent that Jujitsu fighters were dominating and soon all fighters were coming to teachers like Tony Lima to get ‘ground game’. In Brazil, the art is highly traditional and highly developed through the Gracie Family and their schools. It is a complete style and a way of life.

Inspired by the Gracies, Tony Lima trained BJJ since he was twelve years old. His friend, Shanghai based Ryan Melchiano, was returning to the city and persuaded him to come along for the ride. The new studio at Taikang Lu is a welcome addition to Shanghai’s growing martial arts scene and definitely a step towards the pre-war days of famous schools and infamous ‘lei-tai’ challenge matches.

Professor Lima’s studio is at Studio 311, Building 3, Lane 210 Taikang Lu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Talking Politics and CMA

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    "a step towards the pre-war days of famous schools and infamous ‘lei-tai’ challenge matches."
    I think pride and politics was two of the main reasons for the delayed attempt to put together an organization in China. Each country has their own perspective of MMA, and they probably would like to have their styles portrayed as effective in MMA events. So I wouldn't be surprised to see combatants with training in Sanda / San Shou, Shuai Jiao, Boxing, and BJJ or Catch Wrestling.

I have an online friend (Mike) who is a SJ practitioner in China, and a commentator for the AOW events. He's seen how this has done a great deal for the CMA there.

As far as lei-tai, this concept still exists in a lot of Sanda / San Shou matches all over China, and there is an organization the US (Maryland) that host "lei tai" events.
    For more information, you can check this link
    http://www.usksf.org/

to Geneching

lol i go to that bjj club in taikang lu. i only joined last month and i havent gone many times because im always going back and forth from dengfeng to shanghai. hopefully now i will be training there more often (im going tonight lol).

the club its self is a very small but very talented bunch of people. iv never done jiujitsu before and already iv learnt so much. the teachers are very friendly and have a vast amount of knowledge in bjj and mma.

if there's anyone in shanghai you guys should come down and join us. every one is friendly and willing to learn. the website is http://www.shanghaibjj.com/
    its not the destination that is important it is the journey getting there

MMA as is seen in USA and Europe has a long way to go in China because when you are thrown in China, that is usually a loss!
    The US version is that a throw is not sufficient but you have to submit or TKO the opponent for a win to be registered!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    MMA as is seen in USA and Europe has a long way to go in China because when you are thrown in China, that is usually a loss!
    The US version is that a throw is not sufficient but you have to submit or TKO the opponent for a win to be registered!
    The US/Europe version of MMA seems accurate enough to be used on Art of War events in China. I can understand that concept in Shuai Jiao tournaments or Lei Tai events (when people are pushed off the platform). I'm kind of confused to where you are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Fists View Post
    Long time since I posted. Has anyone heard about China MMA yet. Can some of you vets take a look and give me your intelligent opinions.

Check out the website: http://www.mmachina.com:81/en/?q=node/18

Looks pretty cool to me. Similar rules to UFC, but I think you can use knees and bows when someone is down. This looks like a great venue for CMA folks that have been training for MMA to break out.
    Thanks for the post. You can use elbows on a downed opponent in UFC, but you cant use knees to the head on the ground. In the old Pride, knees and soccer kicks to a downed opponent's head were fair game.