Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: China MMA

how can a sport that stops the action as soon as a fighter cant defend himself be more violent

by Frost
    Well, if that is what always happen, I have not much problem with such sport event. But I have watched MMA video clip where a fighter's both arms were locked on the floor. Obviously he could not move much, and his head was kept elbow struke six times before the punishment stopped.

Officially, what Syn7 said are the two strategies I have heard of in Boxing. I guess they can be applied in other MA sports too.

The King's Way - win by being more skillful than the opponent

The Tyrannt's Way - win by destroying the opponent

At the end, what I have said so far of the topic in this thread is not meant for people who support blood sports to hear.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 09-10-2010 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Well, if that is what always happen, I have not much problem with such sport event. But I have watched MMA video clip where a fighter's both arms were locked on the floor. Obviously he could not move much, and his head was kept elbow struke six times before the punishment stopped.

Officially, what Syn7 said are the two strategies I have heard of in Boxing. I guess they can be applied in other MA sports too.

The King's Way - win by being more skillful than the opponent

The Tyrannt's Way - win by destroying the opponent

At the end, what I have said so far of the topic in this thread is not meant for people who support blood sports to hear.

KC
    Hong Kong
    if its not meant for people who support "blood sports to hear" why post it in the MMA forum

And what syn7 was talking about ISthe rule in MMA right now, not in boxing, please at least gets the facts right before ranting against something.

You seem to have a fantasy view or fighting thats fine but dont try to lecture others on it when you dont understand the issue proplery

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    This is the point what I stand firm on. There is no need to beat the guy to a pup in order to decide who is the winner. And a fighter is unlikely be able to tap for the fight to stop when his head kept getting punched. Not even the opponent who is in heat punching. The referee is the guy who is likely able to stop it at such a moment. Besides, it is part of his duty to do so. That concludes my view on the violence of MMA.

P.S. If we add more mandatory protective gears and instruct for earlier stop of the fight in its rules, then MMA will be a good event.
    rule set in mma states....

Referee Stoppage: the referee may stop a match in progress if:
    a fighter becomes dominant to the point where the opponent is unable to intelligently defend himself from attacks, which may occur as quickly as a few seconds;
    a fighter appears to be unconscious from a grappling hold;
    a fighter appears to have developed significant injuries in the referee's view, such as a broken bone.
    Doctor Stoppage: the referee will call for a time out if a fighter's ability to continue is in question as a result of apparent injuries, such as a large cut. The ring doctor will inspect the fighter and stop the match if the fighter is deemed unable to continue safely, rendering the opponent the winner. However, if the match is stopped as a result of an injury from illegal actions by the opponent, either a disqualification or no contest will be issued instead.
    Corner stoppage: a fighter's corner men may announce defeat on the fighter's behalf by throwing in the towel during the match in progress or between rounds.
    the barbaric death matches you are trying to paint because of MMA's Vale tudo roots won't work. There are more injuries in football and boxing than there are in MMA.

The rule sets today dictate that the ref. will stop the match at any time if there is a curcumstance of a fighters safety comes into play.

Adding more gear will not solve any "issue" you think it has. In other words what you want is a retro back to point sparring?

quit being a p u ss y.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

mercy is for the weak
    ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Ya bawang, people like Steve Lau with their morally presumptuous worldviews are annoying right?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

so what im hoping to see is all these bjj/muaythai hybrids start showing how they are a winning formula in mma matches... and as the mma matches get bigger, more audience etc, and these fighters start getting known in china as being great fighters, hopefully we'll see other tcma stylists step up and represent their art... its going to be pretty interesting to see what happens... to see what kind of fights come out of the whole my style is better than your style... i hope we'll see a more evolved version of what we saw in the early days of american mma... but lots and lots of style clashes, style wars...

how do you guys think it'll go down???

Zhang Tiequan

More on Zhang.
    Zhang hoping to lead Chinese wave into MMA
    Posted 19h 30m ago
    By Greg Beacham, AP Sports Writer

When Zhang Tiequan saw a mixed martial arts bout on television five years ago, it was love at first fight.

"I really admired the skill sets, and it reminded me of traditional Chinese combat movements, so I thought it was a perfect fit for me," Zhang said through a translator.

The 25-year-old Chinese martial artist and wrestler immediately got to work learning the skills he saw on TV, embarking down a path that led him this week to the suburbs of Denver, where he'll make history in the octagon on Thursday night.

When Zhang faces Pablo Garza at WEC 51 in Broomfield, Colorado, he'll become the first Chinese-born MMA fighter to compete in North America with the industry-leading UFC, which owns the lighter-weight WEC promotion.

Zhang is certain he won't be the last, given the UFC's determination to capitalize on the sport's burgeoning popularity in a country rediscovering its rich martial arts heritage. As China further opens its athletic endeavors to the world following the Beijing Olympics, Chinese athletes increasingly are participating in boxing and martial arts, which were discouraged or overtly banned during the Cultural Revolution.

"As a country, they want their athletes to come to America, and vice versa," WEC general manager Reed Harris said. "Once this sport really grows and develops, I believe they'll be able to compete as well as any country. In the next 10 or 20 years, this is certainly going to become a big deal."

Zhang loved climbing and wrestling as a kid in Inner Mongolia, and he trained in both Mongolian wrestling and Greco-Roman skills before moving into sanshou, the Chinese hand-to-hand combat sport also known as sanda and usually described as kickboxing with throws. Zhang competed near his home before moving to Xian with his coach, Zhao Xue Jun, and eventually channeling his passion into MMA.

While Zhang worked on his game, the UFC began looking for fighters just like him. UFC president Dana White and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta decided to make a move on China, eager to put their product into the huge market cultivated by the NBA and nearly every other major North American sport.

China has native MMA promotions, but nothing on the UFC's scale, and the sport's public profile is still relatively small. The UFC recently hired Mark Fischer, a former NBA executive who's working to get the UFC's fights on regular television in China.

"I see China in the same place as we were in the U.S. back in the late '90s, where this thing is kind of gaining some steam and picking up, and these shows are starting to do better," Harris said.

Zhang was discovered by Sean Shelby, the WEC's matchmaker and a longtime sanshou student tasked by the UFC with finding China's best fighters. Shelby crisscrossed the country for three weeks, starting on the northern border and moving all the way down to Hong Kong on his fact-finding mission.

"The thing that amazed me was the spirit of the Chinese people and the Chinese athlete," Shelby said. "There's absolutely no quit in them, and that's something you just can't teach an athlete. You either have it or you don't. It's the intangible. When they have the jiujitsu to go with the sanda, there's no telling how far they can go."

Shelby attended a local fight card and saw wildly differing levels of athletes <emdash /> including far more skilled heavyweights than he ever imagined. But when Shelby scouted the Chinese Top Team, a Beijing outfit run by a Brazilian coach, he immediately liked Zhang's toughness, his advanced kickboxing skills and his 16-0 record.

"If you're going to be a successful MMA fighter, you have to be a good Greco-Roman wrestler," Shelby said. "They decide where the fight goes. ... If you have that kind of resume, you're set up to do very well, no matter where you come from. Chinese or not, he's got potential."

The WEC formally signed Zhang last month, promoting him with the nickname "The Mongolian Wolf," and recently moved him to Colorado to finish training.

"Colorado is so wonderful," Zhang said with a smile. "The outdoor life is great and reminds me of my hometown. I go running and see all kinds of animals along the path. I saw a fox, but no wolf."

Shelby has identified several more Chinese fighters who could be added to the promotion. He thinks Chinese MMA will grow along with a proliferation of schools teaching Brazilian jiujitsu, the grappling and ground-fighting discipline that's so important in MMA.

But nobody will know just how quickly this experiment will move until Zhang steps into the octagon on Thursday night.

"I'm a realist, and coming into the WEC or the UFC is certainly a huge step in a guy's career," Harris said. "We'll see how he does. Sean's report from China is he's very well-rounded, a really good striker, good on the ground. He's got the record, but we have to see what his level of competition was. I'm excited to see what happens."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    hopefully it will expand over to china. Glad to see the market is finally opening up over there.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

You all know China has an MMA magazine now, yes?

Jiequan yu Gedou (Intercepting Fist and MMA 截拳與格斗).

It's mentioned in passing in The Real Kreese By Zhao Xiaohu in our Nov Dec 2010 issue. I've not seen a copy of it yet but it is considered as one of the leading martial arts mags of the PRC now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

im very happy for this guy i hope he wins and be succesful in america.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    im very happy for this guy i hope he wins and be succesful in america.
    yes he choked out the guy.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

i cried.
    today wec, tomorow ufc.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    so what im hoping to see is all these bjj/muaythai hybrids start showing how they are a winning formula in mma matches... and as the mma matches get bigger, more audience etc, and these fighters start getting known in china as being great fighters, hopefully we'll see other tcma stylists step up and represent their art... its going to be pretty interesting to see what happens... to see what kind of fights come out of the whole my style is better than your style... i hope we'll see a more evolved version of what we saw in the early days of american mma... but lots and lots of style clashes, style wars...

how do you guys think it'll go down???
    You and I are on the same page.

Unless this post goes on the next page.

Quote Originally Posted by kc elbows View Post
    you and i are on the same page.

Unless this post goes on the next page.
    bbbwwwahahahah !!!!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i cried.
    today wec, tomorow ufc.
    you are a f@g, and a woman.
    - Yagyū Munenori