Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: China MMA

China and MMA

Why hasn't MMA flourished in a society rich with martial arts?

Very interesting blog post - long, detailed, developed points, and plenty of video.

Also a one paragraph tl dr; at the end for the Cliff Notes peeps.

http://dynastyclothingstore.wordpres...d-with-videos/

Some interesting points, but it also reads like a revival of the classic "Sick Men of Asia" theme.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Some interesting points, but it also reads like a revival of the classic "Sick Men of Asia" theme.
    What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    What is that?
    http://movieclips.com/UMPdx-fist-of-...k-men-of-asia/

Ah, the Fists of Fury scene....

What? China fixes fights?!?!

THE HARD-KNOCK LIFE OF A FOREIGN FIGHTER IN CHINA
    FIGHTLAND BLOG
    By Sascha Matuszak

On January 18th, in a small town outside of Chongqing in western China, Alan Ryan tapped out to a rear naked choke from Jumabieke Tuerxun.

It was a typical fight for both men. Bieke, as he is known to most people, is the top-ranked MMA bantamweight in China. Alan, a Muay Thai and K-1 fighter, is a 25-year-old Scotsman bouncing around China fighting a slew of more-experienced, better-trained fighters for a little less than $500 a pop. After the fight they went their separate ways. Bieke officially signed with the UFC and headed to Thailand to train for his upcoming fight on the Ultimate Fighter: China finale card in Macao. Alan dragged himself out of bed at 4:30am the next day and took a series of planes, trains, and buses to Weifeng, way up north, to get TKOd in the first round ... by a more-experienced, better-trained fighter.

“Most of my fights in China are unfair,” Alan told me. “The refs are against you, the audience is against you. It’s understandable but still unfair.”

Alan fights three to five times a month, and he routinely loses close decisions and often loses fights he’s clearly winning. One guy he TKO’d in the third round was given a minute to rest and then won the fight by decision.

The proverbial China vs. the World martial arts show has long been considered a farce to prop up Chinese nationalist sentiments and stave off stereotypes that Asians are “physically weaker” than westerners. In the past there were kung fu vs. Thai boxing matches in which everyone was Chinese and all the “Thais” took dives, and various other demonstrations of Chinese martial superiority taking place in two-bit shows all over the country. But with the rise of professional MMA promotions like RUFF, OneFC in Singapore, and now the UFC out of Macao, those farces are becoming more difficult to pull off.

Take an event I saw in Sichuan Province that featured MMA fighters from the World Team USA gym in California, the IKKC Thai kickboxing champion Michael Mannanquil, and three top-level Muay Thai guys flown in from Thailand. It was a great card with great fights in a fourth-tier Chinese town. But the main event was still a clear mismatch. Wang Sai, an Ultimate Fighter: China finalist who will be fighting in Macao as well, fought “Karl Rodrigue,” who told me before the fight that he had never trained MMA before, but, “**** it, I’m ready to fight.”

Karl got choked out in the first round. Turns out Karl, who also goes by the name Wesson Consil, trains at the same gym Alan Ryan trains at, the Fighters Unite gym in Shanghai, run by Silas Maynard. Silas opened his gym in 2009 and now has 300 active members, between 14 and 20 of whome are professional fighters.

Chinese promotions regularly ask Silas for good-looking foreign fighters with no skills to pit against their top guys. Although he says he turns those fights down, Alan’s recent tapout tells a different story. When I asked him about it, Silas told me that he thought Alan had a legitimate chance.

“Alan is a very dangerous fighter,” Silas wrote in an email. “If he could have kept it standing into the second or third round it is possible he could have won that fight. Bieke on paper was more experienced, but having seen Alan train and see his ability to get out of bad situations and get back to his feet, much like he did against Bieke’s armbar [early in the first round], we thought it was a winnable fight.

“If a fighter says they want the fight, I feel it is not my job to say no at that point. It is my job to get them as ready as possible to give them the best chance. It is common to be asked for paper mismatches. But with great risk is great reward. If Alan had managed to beat Bieke, it would be Alan fighting in the UFC in March ...”

Bieke’s coach and teammate, Vaughn Anderson, agrees with some of that. After Alan delivered a few headkicks early in the fight, Vaughn started screaming for Bieke to take it to the ground and finish it. Later that night, Alan, Vaughn, and a Ukrainian grappler named Artem who also fought (and lost) his first MMA fight, went to the only bar in town and drank fake whiskey. Alan and Artem told two stories. The first was about how they are getting pimped out by their gyms for pennies, and the second was about how much they love to fight and how they’ll fight anyone, anywhere. It sounded familiar to Vaughn.

Vaughn’s first professional fight took place on some mats thrown down in front of a department store in Taiwan. Over the next few years he choked out sumo wrestlers, fought dudes who showed up to fight with painted faces, and watched a fighter dressed in a full-body ninja suit puke his guts out after a show. Vaughn finally got his break when the now-defunct Art of War promotion came to Taiwan looking for fighters. He knows all about trying make a living as a foreign fighter in China.

“Alan ran up to me on the street [before the Bieke fight] asking if I spoke English and if I could help him find a sauna [for his weight cut],” Vaughn told me. “Alan came with no corner man, fought his debut on four days’ notice against one of the best domestic fighters, and got taken for 50% of what the promoter paid for him. It's a shame, sure. For guys like us, though, it's still better than keeping the full fight purse, getting matched up properly once or twice a year, and then washing dishes every night to pay the bills--like many fighters do in the west.”

Alan said he sometimes wishes he could be back in Glasgow training with his hometown gym, the Dinky Ninjas. But going back home would mean taking a full-time job to finance his training, while in China it's all fighting all the time.

"I know I am getting shafted, but that is just the way it has to be right now,” Alan said. “I'm just going for it. I am looking for new management though, so stick that in your article for me."
    Heard this before, haven't we?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

an update

Agence France-Presse August 21, 2014 9:30pm
    China's mixed martial artists rising up from the fields

As he pinned his opponent down and punched him repeatedly in the head, Yao "The Master" Honggang was -- like other emerging Chinese mixed martial arts fighters -- beating his way out of rural poverty.

Yao was once a national wrestling champion, but switched to the uncompromising discipline of mixed martial arts (MMA) a decade ago, when it was barely known in China.

It combines grappling with kickboxing and ju-jitsu in a combat where almost anything goes.

"My ideal is to get a knockout," said Yao, 33, who has a short, muscle-ripped frame and cauliflower ears.

For his latest contest, he returned to his home province of Henan and a sports centre in Zhoukou, just a few miles from the quiet plot of land where his parents still make a living growing corn.

A spotlight picked out local businessmen and government officials -- plus a consignment of shield-clutching riot police -- in the audience of thousands, and Yao sprinted towards the ring through clouds of smoke and past bikini-clad cheerleaders.

Within seconds of the referee's opening cry of "Fight!" the crowd erupted as he knocked his opponent Jadambaa Munkhbayar to the floor. But the Mongolian slid from beneath Yao's legs and leapt back to his feet, swinging wildly.

- A billion customers? -

Yao's long journey to MMA stardom saw him endure years of struggle and deprivation as he trained in obscurity with a Filipino coach in Beijing.

To keep his dream aloft, he worked as a restaurant night-watchman and an air conditioning repairman, hanging off skyscrapers to fix leaky units.

"Both my parents worked in the fields, my dad also worked as a PE teacher but his salary was low. So I had to depend on myself," he said.

Now he competes for prizes of up to $10,000 and fights in the United States and Hong Kong, while the sport's promoters are competing to cash in on what is a potentially huge Chinese market.

The gym where Yao trains has already sent several fighters to the US-based Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), whose annual revenues reach into hundreds of millions of dollars.

"The UFC is like every other sports league in the world -- they see enormous financial possibility in China," said Jonathan Snowden, author of an encyclopaedia of the sport.

"What they see are more than a billion possible customers. That's very alluring."

The UFC partnered with a Chinese TV channel last year, but life for the dozens of aspiring MMA champions fighting regular bouts around the country remains far from glamorous. Members of one Beijing gym sleep on bunk beds in tiny dormitories, squeezed into unheated slum houses.

"Nearly all of us MMA fighters are farmers," said bearded He Nannan, 22, gulping down cabbage soup. "People from cities have money and don't want to fight."

Wu Haotian is one of China's top MMA athletes and has defeated opponents as far away as South Africa, but went unrecognised as he walked home through dilapidated streets, sweating from three hours of afternoon training.

While he was growing up in a village in Inner Mongolia, he said, "when it rained and we couldn't work outside, we would gather for wrestling matches, that's how I started fighting".

"I thought MMA was great, because there are almost no restrictions."

His favourite move is a downward elbow strike, but pointed to his forehead to explain a recent defeat. "I was injured here. It bled a lot and I fainted after the third round."

The prizes he competes for are worth up to 30,000 yuan ($5,000), with around a fifth taken by his club.

Even so, he said, "We don't have enough money to live in apartments. We're poor."

- Eye of the Tiger -

The future of contenders like Wu and He will be decided by the spending habits of Chinese audiences, who pay to see fights and watch TV broadcasts.

Yuan Kaifu, a businessman who had travelled from Beijing to Zhoukou said: "I like MMA because it's real. Not fake like some other fighting contests."

Backstage, battlers from Australia, central Africa and Russia covered themselves in muscle-heating oil and sparred as a German coach played the "Rocky" theme song "Eye of the Tiger" from a mobile phone.

Yao looked relaxed as he secured his gloves with tape and sipped a protein drink.

"I don't get nervous in the ring, I'm aware of everything that is happening," he said.

After the initial grapple he dodged his opponent's right-handed punch, hoisted him up and brought him crashing to the ground.

Stuck in a choke-hold, Munkhbayar's white and gold glove tapped the ground three times, and a bell marked Yao's victory -- after a contest of just 53 seconds.

Balanced on the ring's white ropes, the winner drank in the adoration of the crowd, flashing a smile which revealed a gum-shield in patriotic red.

"Next time, I'll try and win more slowly," he said.

"If I didn't have MMA, I'd probably be doing some small business, construction or working as a cook," he added. "Or installing air conditioners."

tjh/slb/dwa
    Surprised this article didn't discuss UFC in Macao. That's a key point here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ONE FC in China

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

From a Filipino news site

Published: Tue, December 23, 2014
    China joins mixed-martial arts craze

(Screencap from a Reuters TV video clip)

(Reuters) - Five years ago in China you'd be hard pressed to find a combat sports fan who'd even heard of mixed martial arts (MMA), let alone watched it, but just half a decade later the sport has gone from obscurity to being watched on local television by millions.

The country even has its own version of the reality TV show The Ultimate Fighter, and the promise of celebrity and riches has also inspired a generation of athletes like Hexigetu.

Hexigetu left his home in the grasslands of northern Inner Mongolia and came to Beijing to train with one of the country's best MMA teams in 2013.

"Going (to fight in) the biggest competition in the United States and getting the best score, that's the dream. For other things... well, for now this is the dream. Once I've done that, we'll see," he said, sitting on his bunk in a dormitory he shares with about 20 other training fighters.

Hexigetu is typical of many of those hoping for fame in the ring.

Born into a world of rural poverty, he left school at 14 to help look after the sheep when his father died.

For him training to be an MMA fighter is a choice between a dead-end factory job, or risking it all in the hopes of finding success in the sport.

He hoped to follow stars like "The Master" Yao Honggang, who came from a similar background in rural Henan province in central China.

Yao spent years living in a basement and training in a leaky room next to some badminton courts while holding down a job as an air conditioner repairman.

In one night he now makes ten times more than he used to in a month.

"This year if there aren't any problems I should be able to participate in six fights. Now the fights in China aren't like before, before for one fight you might get 1000 ($161) or 2000 RMB ($323), but now the very least is 20,000 ($3,230) to 30,000 RMB ($4,850). It's possible with the big fights to get 50,000 ($8,080) to 60,000 ($9,695) and with the even higher ones 100,000 ($16,160) is also possible," said Yao.

But for Yao there is one goal that has so far eluded him: fighting in a competition put on by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the largest MMA events organiser in the world.

To date, just two Chinese fighters have made it to the UFC. Zhang "The Wolf" Tiequan, fought light and featherweight in 2011 and 2012, while Li Jingliang from western Xinjiang province has represented China twice in the ring.

But for these two fighters results have been mixed. Zhang won only one of his four UFC outings while Li lost his most recent fight to Egyptian Nordine Taleb in a split call.

Industry insiders believe it will take time before the majority of China's fighters are up to the standard seen in UFC competitions.

"You know China's like any other developing MMA market, it will take a lot of time before Chinese fighters get to that elite championship level. The good news is that because of the martial arts background in China - Sanda and some of the other martial arts - that a lot of the Chinese fighters are actually very proficient from a striking perspective, I think the challenge is their grappling and their wrestling, which will have to improve over time to really compete at the top levels of UFC," said Joe Carr, who is the UFC's vice president of international business strategy and helps run the UFC fighter development programmes.

In the meantime life is not easy for wannabes like Hexigetu. Full time training means that he has to rely on handouts from his uncle and the money he gets from fighting in smaller competitions.

Hexigetu has fought seven or eight times per year in the past two years, and makes around 4,000 ($643) to 5,000 yuan ($804) for each fight.
    The author missed the real story happening right now, ONE FC in China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

little yao,my friend/coach's yao honggong's little brother.hung out with him and big yao about 6 months ago.i remember when he trained at the shuai jiao school back in beijing. back then he was a little skinny kid.i remember throwing him around a few times sparring. now he is ripped and would rip my head off.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 12-31-2014 at 03:37 AM.

little yao,my friend/coach's yao honggong's little brother.hung out with him and big yao about 6 months ago.i remember when he trained at the shuai jiao school back in beijing. back then he was a little skinny kid.i remember throwing him around a few times sparring. now he is ripped and would rip my head off.

China MMA dominates Sport Fighting: http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/kun...entity-crisis/

MMA at Causeway Bay

There's an embedded vid too, if you follow the link.

Hong Kong goes 'mixed martial arts' crazy... and you don't even have to fight
    New mixed martial arts gyms are opening in the city as the sport gains traction
    PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 17 March, 2015, 6:15am
    UPDATED : Tuesday, 17 March, 2015, 7:54pm
    Mark Sharp mark.sharp@scmp.com

Reporter Mark Sharp gives the heavy bag a mean roundhouse kick. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

Reporter Mark Sharp gives the heavy bag a mean roundhouse kick. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

Whoever put the "art" in mixed martial arts (MMA) missed the point that it's more of a blood sport. One study found that 30 per cent of MMA bouts end with a fighter sustaining a traumatic brain injury. The controversial research, by University of Toronto, has been described as "flawed" by the MMA camp, but the combat sport is nevertheless a fighting style akin to something you might witness in a prison riot.

"People walking past see the fighting on the screens and stop to watch," says Andrew Power, a personal trainer at Everlast Fight & Fitness centre in Causeway Bay, referring to the televised MMA bouts screened in the windows. "It's great marketing, but when we say, 'Would you like to come in and have a look?' they say, 'Oh no, it's fine.'"

Everlast is one of two global boxing and MMA brands to open in Causeway Bay last year - the other being Hayabusa Martial Arts and Fitness Centre. They each now have two gyms in town. A new entry in 2012 was Epic MMA & Fitness in Central. That's also the location of long-time white-collar MMA outfit Impakt.

Akiko Uchiyama, a director at Epic, links the rising popularity of MMA to the globalisation of US sports promotion company, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). "Now that UFC organises UFC Macau, MMA's popularity has grown fast in Hong Kong and the demand is there, Uchiyama says. "This has made martial arts such as boxing, Muay Thai and Brazilian jiu-jitsu more popular as well." Uchiyama adds, however, that most club members are strictly looking for fitness: "Only the real hard core ones are willing to take part in MMA fights."

Sharp works on his grip strength. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

Power agrees, saying many people find MMA intimidating. But he points out that it doesn't have to be about bashing the hell out of someone - or getting yourself beaten to a bloody pulp. MMA training is a high-intensity, full-body workout, and the training MMA fighters undergo results in optimum physical fitness. It also never becomes boring. Being "mixed", it combines the skills of both stand-up fighting and rough and tumble on the ground.

"You're developing your upper and lower body," Power says. "For MMA, you need strong legs for submission and ground work, and you also need a strong grip. So you need strong hands, forearms, upper arms and shoulders. It's a full-body workout, but there are other aspects too, like you need to be fast, and you need to have endurance and coordination. It's all the elements you need in fitness."

The most popular forms of standing fighting used in MMA are karate, boxing and Muay Thai, Power says, because you can use punches, kicks, knees and elbows in the sport. For groundwork, Brazilian jiu-jitsu and wrestling are the most common disciplines. So although clubs may hold MMA submission and MMA striking classes, members who want to brush up on specific skills can also take classes in each of the separate disciplines.

Power says this approach is advisable because, "you really need to focus on and repeat your drills".

Here's a taste of basic exercises used in MMA training. It's a great workout even if your goal is to shape up rather than spar. Anyone can walk into Everlast for a free introductory session, says Power.

Climbing wall

Everlast has climbing walls that lean out at an angle of about 20 degrees, and grips on a ceiling beam where your bodyweight is held by just the fingers. "The climbing wall can be used to develop a strong grip and core strength. Both are particularly useful for the grappling aspect of MMA - also referred to as MMA submission," Power says.

Core strengthening with medicine ball rebounders. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

Medicine ball rebounders

This involves throwing a medicine ball at a tilted mini trampoline and catching the rebound. Power says it's important to catch the ball in the palms - without trying to wrap both hands tightly around the ball - keeping the body straight to engage the core muscles. The exercise is partly a test of coordination. Throw the ball too hard and off kilter, and it won't rebound in the right direction.

The ladder

With the right foot first, run through the ladder with both feet touching each square and ensuring you don't step on the frame. Increase speed as you go along. "The ladder develops speed, acceleration and agility. The benefits of using this particular exercise for mixed martial artists is that it helps to develop fantastic foot speed in the cage," Power says.

Sharp flips a tyre. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

Tyre flips

Lift the tyre from the floor, breathing out while doing so and engaging the core muscles. While exhaling again, quickly push the tyre over. Step inside, then in front of the tyre, then back again, and repeat. "Tyre flips are very effective at improving explosive power, mostly because the move incorporates both the upper and lower body," Power says.

The heavy bag

In this case, it was basic jabs - arms straight and shoulders rotating forward into the punch - and Muay Thai kicks, rotating the upper body for more power. "Bag work is essential for MMA exponents," Power says. "It provides the opportunity to hone stand-up technique by practising kicks, punches, knees and elbows without needing to worry about defence."

Combination

With gloves on, this non-stop circuit involves five jump squats, followed by five power push-ups - hands leaving the ground, landing on the fists - then 10 left-right jabs to the trainer's pads, and 10 head blocks with hands up shielding the side of the head while the trainer whacks the gloves. The circuit is repeated three times with no break. "The combination of jump squats with power push-ups again helps to develop explosive power necessary for exponents to develop their technique, whether you are just starting out or an advanced athlete," Power says. "The one-two jab is an example of a boxing combination commonly practised in MMA training to enhance a fighter's stand-up capability. The practice of blocking is essential in order to provide participants with a basic knowledge of defence."
    tyre.... luv it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Elena Pashnina - first Taiwanese female pro mixed martial artist

Taiwan's first female mixed martial artist makes her ONE Championship debut
    MMA Insider – 1 hour 21 minutes ago
    By Chris Zahar
    This Saturday, the world will witness the first Taiwanese female pro mixed martial artist make her debut in ONE Championship, Asia’s largest MMA organization.
    The 24-year-old Taipei native will be fighting Russian atomweight Elena Pashnina at ONE: KINGDOM OF WARRIORS in Yangon, Myanmar.

Considering the Republic of China is home to well over 23 million people, not including those living abroad, this is a spectacular feat, but not one the soft-spoken parkour enthusiast is eager to flaunt.
    “I don’t want to brag about it,” Huang said. "I don’t want to think just because I am the first I don’t have to keep practicing. Because I am the first, I want to work harder and be the best. I always remind myself that if I get famous in the future, I don’t want to be a proud person.“
    A natural athlete
    In her own words, Huang was "born to be an athlete.” Though shy growing up, she took to sports immediately and used what little free time she had to indulge in her athletic pursuits.
    “I only had a 10-minute break during school,” she recalled. "Every break I had, I’d bring a basketball or a volleyball and practice sports or play with my friends as much as possible.“
    Huang got her first taste of martial arts at eight years old when her parents enrolled her in a taekwondo academy.
    Unfortunately, they took her out only a few months later to put her in an English cram school.

Sitting still was not exactly the girl’s forte and at the age of 12, judo piqued her interest. Much like one of her heroes – former Olympian and current MMA powerhouse, Ronda Rousey – Jenny embraced the Japanese "soft way” and earned her black belt four years later.
    Her love of combat sports did not stop there, though.
    Since the beginning of this decade, MMA has been creeping into Asia, and Huang could not help but embrace the new sport.
    After graduating from Taipei Physical Education College (台北市立體育學院) with a major in health, Huang began training at one of Taiwan’s top mixed martial arts academies, TOUGH MMA.
    She put herself under the tutelage of TOUGH’s owner, ONE bantamweight, “Sam” Ming Yen Sung, himself a revolutionary in the Taiwanese MMA scene and a man who was instrumental in ONE making its debut in Taiwan last year.
    “Sam has helped me a lot with my game plan,” Huang added. "He keeps me in peak physical condition and gives me strategies to help me beat my opponents.“

Pro MMA debut
    On 31 May this year, Jenny Huang made history - as well as her MMA debut - when she competed at Taiwan’s Pro FC: Invincible.
    Facing off against India’s Daizy Singh, Huang used her superior grappling game to earn herself a unanimous decision win.
    "My judo and jiu-jitsu gave me an advantage,” she said. "I was able to control her well on the ground.“
    Huang will have to do the same again this Saturday on the biggest Asian MMA stage.
    Her opponent Pashnina is a high-level Sanda exponent, thus be prepared for a clash of styles between these two ladies.
    "She is better than my previous opponent. This is my biggest fight yet.”
    Parkour enthusiast? Now there's a martial art rendered useless in the cage.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

One Championship + Under Armour

One Championship lands Under Armour deal
    04 May 2016 | Posted in Sponsorship, Martial Arts, Asia, | By Eoin Connolly

Photo: Bullit Marquez/AP/Press Association Images

The One Championship, the Singapore-based mixed martial arts (MMA) series previously known as the One Fighting Championship, has signed a partnership with Under Armour.

The American sportswear giant will sponsor upcoming One Championship events in south-east Asia in 2016, beginning with the One: Ascent to Power promotion in Singapore on 6th May and including other cards in Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia. No financial terms were released.

Under Armour joins G-Shock, Mah and Marvel's Captain America: Civil War as a sponsor of the One: Ascent to Power event, whch is headlined by Singaporean Angela Lee's (pictured left) world women's atomweight title challenge against Mei Yamaguchi of Japan.

"We are excited to be supporting this rising sport in south-east Asia, and especially so with a partnership with One," said Adrian Chai, the chief marketing officer for Under Armour's south-east Asian distributor, Triple. "We hope that athletes like One fighters, who truly embody Under Armour's values of never giving up to reach greatness and overcoming perceived limitations, will instill inspiration to young athletes internationally to achieve their goals."
    shoulda been uncle martian.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips