Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trapping in Wing Chun

Having practice both Wing Chun and JKD.You never look for a trap,your goal should be to hit and trap if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    I don't, OTOH, see any problem with choosing to beat the **** out of someone's arms if head-hunting/body shots are proving difficult however. I don't see that as chasing arms, just an extension of 'nearest (viable) target, nearest weapon'. Good strikes to the arms can use chum/unbalancing/uprooting etc etc and still disrupt/control the centre.
    I see it somewhat like what you wrote.

If the arms are getting in the way, they'll get pinned to the body with centreline pressure, knocking the opponent off balance and (hopefully) while getting a punch at the same time or shortly thereafter the pin/trap.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    The time I spent working on pak sau entrys and 'trapping' techniques gives me considerable skill in counter-striking when I spar.

In fact, when I spar, pak sau is probably my most used technique....that or yap gerk.
    IMO most of the techniques have an outside and inside application. So, many of them can be used to assist entry.. In either case IMO the purpose is to clear the line and hit--hitting being paramount as some have said.

Chasing hands means you lost a half beat and should have hit him already.. Which means you may be taking a shot about now..

I recall hearing that pak da was a favorite among some from the old days in Hong Kong.. I think it also has a lot to do with the style of those you fight/spar with.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    I think it also has a lot to do with the style of those you fight/spar with.
    For sure!

I end up using pak da alot because one of my usual sparring partners is/was a boxer. Against kickers and grapplers it doesn't come out so much.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Trapping Hands

Hi All,

This is a clip of me doing live chi sao with a student in Foshan, China, at Sifu Lau Chi Kwong school. I was lucky enough to get a trap on him.

Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WEYWgRffo

I have posted some interesting forms on wooden dummy routines and SLT forms, on my forum, for all to enjoy. There are various Sifus from around China performing their different routines.

http://www.shaolinjeeshinwingchun.co..._about_us.html

Comments are welcome.

Most forms are pre Yip Man lineage.

Regards
    Sifu Garry

Hi Guys

This is an article I wrote some time ago on trapping.

http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/articl...ppingwork.html

Regards

Alan

chi sao

Hi All,

Please click on the links below, to view various Chi Sao demonstrations and live performances with different wing chun schools around southern China.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPGa2wrSiAk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ryDZmc9uKM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2T852lqzPg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WEYWgRffo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjTx_d3LfFI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gexMnt_qLw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYcH83ZMlNY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBr8XoCUn4E

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7wGuPIqbCA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMG0mGDeCjw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeAxb7aqsfE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVUmzI9XoCM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4UksLfPLo

Enjoy and compare and feel free to make a comment.

At my forum @ www.shaolinjeeshinwingchun.com.au/forum/

there are wing chun forms and wing chun dummy performances for your enjoyment

Sifu Garry
    Shaolin Jee Shin Wing Chun

Don't be lazy!!!

When one is lazy he wants everyone else to follow his laziness...

When your opponent is stepping away after being hit or blocking a shot, he is trying to regroup for offense, if you follow what goes that would be the opportune time to run a trap, and that would almost keep one from embarrassing himself while laying on his back screaming “that’s not wing chun”!!!

So why take a shot or let a shot come out?

Not only does trapping takes care of your opppnent's arms, but it also plants his feet into the ground (keeps one from kicking or shooting in) to the point it would be hard for him to move around...

Trapping is hard to do especially in the heat of battle, if one cannot execute trapping or choose not to acknowledge it’s importances or eliminate the ideal, then one has a problem understanding range, timing or the ideal of just standing close when fighting, and have no true stand up mentality or understanding (wing chun mentality)…

When one has that problem (trapping), then one has to start over and find out why it didn’t work (way ahead of their ability to do so), rather then tossing their wing chun right out of the window piece by piece to the point that they will need some other art to try to make their so-called understanding work, that’s cheating yourself and your student…

Only when one can’t do or to lazy too do, they’ll find some other reasons to explain why that certain technique is useless 50% of the time… The technique is not useless, one is just lazy and wants something for nothing… I was taught if it’s in the system then it can be used when one chooses too, then one must really train hard to find the answer…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Oh snap, here’s some trapping…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpVxPYpXaFQ

One's very first move could be a trap when understood…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 07:28 AM.