Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapping in Wing Chun

Trapping in Wing Chun

Following on from the discussion on evasion...

Do you practice trapping in your Wing Chun? If so, how?

What is the purpose of trapping?

Do you look for a trap, or is it inadvertent?

Is trapping compatible with Wing Chun or is it just 'chasing hands'?

Suki Gosal
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Hi Wu Wei Wu,

My #1 objective is always to hit the attacker as directly as possible; however, there are times when that is not always possible; therefore, Trapping which is a by product of structure comes into play once my initial strike is obstructed or blocked. I use Trapping as an ends to a means to clear obstickles on my way to the attacker'ss center of gravity.

Navin
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 01-24-2008 at 09:04 PM.

My personal opinion is that "trapping" is the essence of "chi sau", once you have found your opponents arms you control them into a position where they cannot hit you (trapping) and you can hit them.

Lapīs, gumīs, lanīs, etc are all methods used by which you "trap" an arm to prevent it striking you.

Just because these methods are not held for any length of time to maintain a hold does not mean they are not considered as TRAPS.

When is trapping not grappling? When is pinning not holding? Choose your own language to explain you own methods and if you are unhappy with the word being used buy a thesaurus.
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop

trapping is also "cutting" into the OP's obstacle while you are hitting
    " not all who wander are lost "

"Trapping" always sounds like JKD seepage. Is it cool enough a term to be used in WCK? Aren't we too busy awesomely breaking bridges and devastatingly poking eyes to lay cheese in the the little mouse springs of JKD'ish trapdom?

Just saying...

Lol. Agreed, trapping is very Jeet Kune Don't.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie View Post
    "Trapping" always sounds like JKD seepage. Is it cool enough a term to be used in WCK? Aren't we too busy awesomely breaking bridges and devastatingly poking eyes to lay cheese in the the little mouse springs of JKD'ish trapdom?

Just saying...
    is that directed towards me?

I am sure Rene's post was a general observation only and not aimed at anyone in particular.

Interestingly, it was a JKD man who asked about my trapping methods that prompted me to start this thread. Although I hinted my position on trapping in the initial post, just to clarify:

I was not taught trapping. Trapping tends to indicate something that is intended or searched for. Instead, I was taught that although something resembling a trap could occur, it took place only during the transition stage of trying to hit the opponent (it was inadvertent). Anything less than attempting to hit and hurt your opponent was tantamount to chasing hands and therefore inefficient.

So, we never spent time on, for example, enter the dragon-esque pak sao entry drills. Although, I appreciate that there may be some merit in trying to 'clear the entry to a target', there is no reason to focus solely on just one target!

Suki Gosal

Quote Originally Posted by tjwingchun View Post
    My personal opinion is that "trapping" is the essence of "chi sau", once you have found your opponents arms you control them into a position where they cannot hit you (trapping) and you can hit them.
    Interesting. I was taught that getting the position to hit your opponent was the essence of chi sau... and that was by someone in the same line as you.

Anyway, my personal op is that trapping is almost accidental: a product of having good forward elbow position and the right energy when your strike hits an obstacle, and using that to flow round/blast through/pin down/all three that obstacle.

It should never be looked for.

I don't, OTOH, see any problem with choosing to beat the **** out of someone's arms if head-hunting/body shots are proving difficult however. I don't see that as chasing arms, just an extension of 'nearest (viable) target, nearest weapon'. Good strikes to the arms can use chum/unbalancing/uprooting etc etc and still disrupt/control the centre.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Anyway, my personal op is that trapping is almost accidental: a product of having good forward elbow position and the right energy when your strike hits an obstacle, and using that to flow round/blast through/pin down/all three that obstacle.

It should never be looked for.

I don't, OTOH, see any problem with choosing to beat the **** out of someone's arms if head-hunting/body shots are proving difficult however. I don't see that as chasing arms, just an extension of 'nearest (viable) target, nearest weapon'. Good strikes to the arms can use chum/unbalancing/uprooting etc etc and still disrupt/control the centre.
    No argument from me with that, the whole concept of "ENTRY TECHNIQUES" is that you try to strike and your opponent stops you, then you control the arm preventing the strike and attempt another hit, if this is then prevented, the blocking arm is again controlled and trapped to allow free flow of blows to whichever area chosen.

As an aside using my experience of working as a bouncer as well as developing self defence understanding for public service types, casualty nurses, police, prison staff who deal with violent types on a daily basis yet CANNOT use strikes without facing an inquiry, I have gone down the direction of controlling situations and resolving them through more passive techniques rather than the simple elbow in the nose option.

Application always depends on the level of violence faced, number of assailants and whether weapons are involved. In my mind chi sau gives you the experience to feel and respond instinctively to situations, to control and trap an attacker to give you time to make the conscious decision whether they are no longer a threat and let the situation defuse, or that they need some time to ponder their next move and knock them out
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop

is that directed towards me?
    It was directed towards Suki.

And thanks for the Taxi Driver flashbacks...

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Do you look for a trap, or is it inadvertent?
    Interesting question. I was of the understanding that a trap had to be 'set', so I would generally plan my trapping strategies to work with my strongest attributes.

Now sometimes this is hard to do, and you find yourself being able to trap someone because of something they do that you hadn't calculated. More of a response though, so I'd prefer to be in control as much as possible...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Trapping

Trapping simply means putting your opponent in a situation where he can't hit you and you can hit him. It can be done w/ hands, foot work or even better both.

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie View Post
    It was directed towards Suki.

And thanks for the Taxi Driver flashbacks...

glad i could help

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    I was not taught trapping. Trapping tends to indicate something that is intended or searched for. Instead, I was taught that although something resembling a trap could occur, it took place only during the transition stage of trying to hit the opponent (it was inadvertent). Anything less than attempting to hit and hurt your opponent was tantamount to chasing hands and therefore inefficient.

So, we never spent time on, for example, enter the dragon-esque pak sao entry drills. Although, I appreciate that there may be some merit in trying to 'clear the entry to a target', there is no reason to focus solely on just one target!

Suki Gosal
    The time I spent working on pak sau entrys and 'trapping' techniques gives me considerable skill in counter-striking when I spar.

In fact, when I spar, pak sau is probably my most used technique....that or yap gerk.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford