Thread: The Smashing Machine

The Smashing Machine

WWE News
    THE ROCK BEGINS INTENSE MMA TRAINING FOR ‘THE SMASHING MACHINE’
    SUBHOJEET MUKHERJEE ON APRIL 22, 2024

The Rock’s return to WWE earlier this year has been widely celebrated by fans and critics, primarily due to his captivating heel persona. The Rock’s return culminated at WrestleMania 40, where he delivered a memorable match, once again proving his ability to captivate audiences.

The Great One was a major part of WrestleMania 40, as he and Roman Reigns faced off against Cody Rhodes and Seth Rollins at WrestleMania 40 Saturday, where The Rock and Reigns were victorious. The Rock would then make his presence felt at WrestleMania 40 Sunday by taking out John Cena, but would get chokeslammed by The Undertaker.

The Great One is shifting his focus to his new film project, “The Smashing Machine,” which explores the life of MMA fighter Mark Kerr. The film delves into Kerr’s journey through the MMA world and his personal struggles, with Johnson playing the lead role.

Following his appearances at WrestleMania 40, Johnson shared on social media that he’s feeling “banged up” from the event but is ready to take on his next challenge. He noted that his training for the MMA-based film would begin soon and that he hopes “The Smashing Machine” will resonate with those battling addiction and mental health issues, including many friends he’s lost to these struggles.

”From the wrestling ring to the MMA cage. With WrestleMania behind me – my second training camp of 2024 begins tomorrow for my next role, in a film titled – The Smashing Machine. My body’s banged up from Mania, but no injuries and feeling great – ready to go. Starting my MMA workouts tomorrow. I’m coming into this in pretty good conditioning and cardio shape, but MMA is a different animal. And Mark Kerr was a ‘one of one’ monster. I run to this Smashing Machine journey with deep respect and love for all MMA fighters and the culture. Especially those who have struggled with addiction. I’ve lost so many friends (wrestlers) over the years from addiction and mental health struggle – from suicide to, it was just their time to go. This is my love letter to them. Let’s get to work. #smashingmachine #bennysafdie #emilyblunt #A24”

This role represents a departure from Johnson’s typical film choices, which often involve family-friendly stories (like “Moana” and “The Jungle Cruise”) or high-octane blockbusters (such as the “Fast and the Furious” franchise). The story of Mark Kerr offers a grittier, more dramatic narrative, with themes of addiction, resilience, and personal redemption.

The Rock is expected to wrestle another match in 2024 before WrestleMania 41 as well. Nevertheless, we will have to wait and see when The Brahma Bull will make his return to the company again.

Are you looking forward to The Smashing Machine? Who do you think The Rock should face next after he returns to WWE? Sound off in the comments section below!

APRIL 22, 2024 7:57 AM

Subhojeet Mukherjee
    Subhojeet is a professional wrestling fan for over 22 years. He got captivated by the sport during the Monday Night Wars and has a passion for it ever since. He also enjoys TV shows, movies, anime, novels and music, which broadens his perspective and appreciation for wrestling. He is a knowledgeable and respected voice in the industry.
    Every role I see the Rock in, he always plays the Rock. I can't see him as Kerr yet, but hopefully he'll surprise me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm a big fan of the Rock and his movie roles, but in many of them he is doing a variation of his "Rock" persona.

I remember watching the original documentary 20+ years ago.

Kerr was a phenom back in the day.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."