Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Professional Wrestling

Yoshihiro Takayama

MMA

Martial arts professional has been left paralysed from the neck down
    BY Jessica Marie Ruxton
    August 10, 2017

Yoshihiro Takayama, one half of the most infamous brawl in mixed martial arts history, has been left paralysed from the neck down.

This happens after he suffered a spinal chord injury in May when Takayama was wrestling an opponent, who was one to deliver the punch.

Japanese website Kakutolog confirmed the news only two days ago.

Takayama is well-known and popular amongst martial arts fans as another second professional, Don Frye, stood toe-to-toe in the Fight of the Year 2002.

Frye was the one to the win fight, but it's still regarded as one of the most famous fights in MMA history.
    Takayama is a Japanese pro-wrestler (I don't think he's WWE) who competed in MMA.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Four Horsewomen

Okay, I'm new to this whole Four Horsewomen thing, but I'm thinking an 8-woman cage match. Think they like nacho sauce? Asking for a friend.

Ronda Rousey On How The 'Four Horsewomen' Name Was Created And What's Next For Her
    By Doric Sam | September 13, 2017

Source: ESPN

Ronda Rousey has been present for the Mae Young Classic to support her good friend and "stablemate" Shayna Baszler, who lost in the finals Tuesday night to Kairi Sane. After the match, Rousey spoke to ESPN about Baszler's performance and how the famed "Four Horsewomen" formed.

Along with Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir, Rousey and Baszler dubbed themselves the "Four Horsewomen" as a way to pay homage to the legendary Four Horsemen. They even received a blessing from Ric Flair to use the name. Rousey revealed to ESPN that it actually wasn't them who came up with the name, but rather the fans who bestowed it upon them.

"We were all sitting on the couch and some fans were asking for the picture, to recreate the iconic Four Horsemen picture," Rousey explained. "We were like, 'What do we have around the house? We got two belts, we got a medal, we got a machete. We can do this!' We didn't know at that moment that it would turn into something. It wasn't something we named ourselves, it was a name the fans gave to us and we're very grateful for it."

Rousey has been relatively outside of the public eye since her loss to Amanda Nunes in December at UFC 207. When asked what's next for her, Rousey preferred to keep the spotlight on her friend.

"I don't want to come to Shayna's event on Shayna's night and sit here talk about myself," she said. "I want to keep tonight all about her. Go Shayna Baszler!"

WWE & Ronda
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jack Swagger

Great wrasslin name. I've not kept up with WWE so I hadn't heard it before. Or maybe I did but that memory got blunted by a blow to the head with a folding chair.

Ex-WWE world champion Jack Swagger signs with Bellator MMA as heavyweight
    Swagger left WWE after 10 years and has been wrestling independently
    by Kevin Skiver 2h ago • 2 min read

Former WWE star Jack Swagger -- a one-time world heavyweight champion with the company -- has signed with Bellator MMA and will fight heavyweight in 2018, Swagger himself (real name Jake Hager) announced on "The MMA Hour" with Ariel Helwani.
    Swagger said that the contract was finalized over the weekend, but the sides had been negotiating throughout the summer leading up to the contract.

MMAFighting.com ✔@MMAFighting
    WWE star @RealJackSwagger has signed with @BellatorMMA. Did you see this coming? Full details: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/11/...out-jake-hager … #TheMMAHour
    11:51 AM - Nov 13, 2017
    Swagger was once a college wrestling star before joining the WWE. He set the Oklahoma single-season record for pins with 30 in 2006. He has not, however, fought MMA as an amateur or professional, although there is a tremendous amount of precedence for fighters jumping from wrestling to fighting (successfully) and vice versa.
    "I'm glad I was able to come on 'The MMA Hour' and announce this," Swagger said. "I have signed with Bellator, and I will be fighting heavyweight them in 2018."
    According to Swagger, whose 10-year stint with WWE ended in March, he made the jump because he wasn't getting the same things out of the WWE that he could fighting.
    "It's funny, everyone asks me that -- why did you leave WWE -- and for the longest time, I'm very thankful for my career there. I mean, an average career up there is three years I was able to go 10 years up there and -- you know -- for the longest time I was like why did I leave? And I think it becomes very obvious this is why I left the WWE. I wasn't allowed to really compete up there, even though I felt like I could take anyone in the locker room. And now it's such a popular time to be a pro wrestler, to be in combat sports, to be an MMA fighter -- where you can really take your opportunity and put it in your hands, your own hard work, and that's really why I left."
    Swagger also said that he and his team reached out to Bellator about signing, and Bellator ultimately made the offer. "We have been working and talking with them through the summer," he explained. "We started negotiations and whatnot and it literally got finalized this weekend where we came to terms, and we're excited and the next step would be to set a date."
    Swagger seemed to be excited upon making the announcement, adding, "I'm a little in shock still -- a little surreal but I'm very excited about it. Something I've wanted to do for a long time and let's be honest it's been a part of me so, it makes sense right?"
    There is no date set for Swagger to begin fighting, though it will not be until the next calendar year. Swagger's jump will undoubtedly be a big event, and he'll be joining the ranks of Bellator which include Ryan Bader, Julia Budd, Darion Caldwell and Ilima-Lei MacFarlene.
    Bellator doesn't have a heavyweight champion, but it's hoping it just added one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I can't wait for this.

I'm actually more likely to find a pay-per-view to watch this than I would to watch a UFC bout. Is that wrong?

Ronda Rousey.

by Jon Fuentes SENIOR WRITER
    Ronda Rousey and WWE seem to have reached a deal
    Published 20 hours ago

It looks like the WWE and Ronda Rousey have finally agreed to a deal that will bring the former UFC women's bantamweight champion to the world of professional wrestling.

The former UFC star was one of the most dominant names in mixed martial arts (MMA) for several years as she went undefeated inside the cage. After dominating the female 135-pound division for so long, however, she met her match against Holly Holm back in November of 2015.

Holm defeated Rousey for the first time in her fighting career via second round knockout with a head-kick to the neck. After a year Rousey returned to the Octagon only to suffer another knockout loss, this time to Amanda Nunes just 48 seconds into the first round.

After the fight Rousey has yet to make an official announcement on her future as a fighter, however, it's expected that we've seen the last of her inside the Octagon.

Now Rousey seems primed for a career in professional wrestling, and has been rumored to be in negotiations with WWE for some time now.

WWE teased a partnership with Rousey at the Mae Young Classic when she was confronted by The Four Horsewomen of wrestling.

It was also rumored that she has been training for her in-ring debut with former WWE Cruiserweight Champion Brian Kendrick.

Last week TMZ caught Triple H, Rousey, and her agent having dinner at a top of the line LA restaurant, possibly discussing business.

It seems that business negotiation has concluded, as a report from PWStream claims a deal between Rousey and the WWE has been completed.

PWStream notes that it's unlikely we see Rousey at the Royal Rumble, unless they're desperate for mainstream attention, but she'll likely be at WrestleMania 34:

It should be interesting to see who WWE pairs Rousey up with for her in-ring debut with the company at WrestleMania
    MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm actually more likely to find a pay-per-view to watch this than I would to watch a UFC bout. Is that wrong?
    TBH, I most likely would, too. Even though I don't buy PPVs. And also TBH, I rarely watch MMA anymore except on certain rare occasions(certain fights).

I don't see how that can be wrong. Curiosity factor and all.

I'll confess that I've been watching some WWE lately. Mainly for the women's wrestling, and not for the reasons someone might think. It's because quite often (for me), I find the rivalries and matches in the women's division to be more entertaining than most of the men's. The women's division of today is definitely NOT the "divas' division" of years past.

I foresee an eventual rivalry with Charlotte Flair (of course), but perhaps even more compelling, a rivalry with Japanese wrestler Asuka, perhaps the most hardcore wrestler currently in the women's division. But I highly doubt that WWE would put her in a match with them immediately. Most likely for Ronda's debut match, they'll feed her an opponent from much lower on the totem pole (i.e., a 'jobber') to highlight Ronda's abilities. And they'll do that several times with several 'lower-level' opponents to cement her status as a dominant 'monster' in the ring.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-17-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Jack Swagger aka Jake Hager

Jack Swagger planning Bellator debut for summer of 2018
    Raj Prashad, January 23, 2018 5:38 pm

After announcing his decision in early November that he’d be jumping to Bellator in 2018, 35-year-old former pro wrestler Jack Swagger (Jake Hager) is ready to take his next step — actually getting in the cage and throwing down.

During an interview with MMA Junkie, here’s what Hager said about competing in 2018:

“I want to fight in 2018 for sure,” he continued. “I almost want to fight twice. That’s a bold statement, but I don’t want to waste any time. I want to jump in there. I feel like I’m in good shape now. I feel like in six months, in the summertime, I’ll be ready to make a statement.”

Hager spent 11 years working for WWE both in its developmental territories and as a mainstay on both RAW and SmackDown prior to his release last March. During that span, he won the World Heavyweight, ECW and United States Championships and was also a Money in the Bank winner.

Hager was a standout amateur wrestler at the University of Oklahoma, where he set the school single-season record for pins with 30 in 2006 and was an All-American for the 285-pound weight class.

Hager was spotted working out with former WWE standout Batista, who has also branched out into MMA.

Batista is a four-time World Heavyweight Champion, two-time WWE Champion, Monday Night Raw Tag Team Champion and three-time World Tag Team Champion.

Former WWE World Champion-turned-Bellator MMA fighter Jack Swagger has ideal target date for first fight Jack Swagger/Facebook

About the author:
    Raj Prashad, Senior Content Editor
    Prashad is the Senior Content Editor for Cox Media Group's FanBuzz.com. He considers Muhammad Ali, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce some of the all-time greats. Boston is TitleTown, in case you were wondering.
    More on Jack Swagger.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Up next AUTOPLAY 5:15 Ronda Rousey gets her WrestleMania match: Raw, March 5, 2018

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ronda Rousey meets Absolution: Raw, March 26, 2018

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Stephanie McMahon sends Ronda Rousey crashing through a table: Raw, April 2, 2018

I gotta say - I'm lovin this.

I'm launching a new thread - WrestleMania 43 - in honor of this historic event. I'll copy the relevant threads from above.

MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

John Cena

John Cena heralds his '6th move of doom' dropping in Shanghai next month
    The city will sink another centimetre...
    By Kenny Ong
    Posted: Tuesday August 7 2018 3:35PM

Image: HBO Films

When it was announced late last month that WWE Live would return to Shanghai on September 1, we could not see the professional wrestler, actor, philanthropist, television host and rapper John Cena among the lineup of vascular talents set to appear. But now, things have escalated quickly. Not only is he confirmed for the show, he has also announced plans to debut his '6th move of doom' at the show.

via gfycat

Image: via Twitter (VPN required)

Cena, a marquee talent of the WWE franchise since the early 2000s, is known for five spectacular 'moves of doom' – the diving shoulder block, the sitout hip toss, the side-release spinout powerbomb, the Five Knuckle Shuffle and the Attitude Adjustment – all done to lead up to his 'victories'.

via gfycat

via gfycat

In a video interview released by WWE, Cena reveals more about this '6th move of doom' which he has been fine-tuning while training in Tianjin with Jackie Chan's stunt team. Yes, John Cena is training with Jackie Chan's stunt team. If anything, that says all you need to know about WWE.

VPN required.

This '6th move of doom', according to Cena, is based on bajiquan, a Chinese martial art from Hebei province. He goes on to say, 'I couldn’t think of a better way to show my appreciation for China, Chinese people and Chinese culture than to debut what I think is a finishing move that will provide me much victory in Shanghai on Sept 1.'

Some might call that pandering, while others might call it being a 'cultural ambassador'. Yes, WWE wrestling, this confluence of athleticism, mythology, spectacle, politics and dramatic acting, is objectively a cultural exchange of sorts... for better or worse. You could also say John Cena's '6th move of doom' is a textbook case of Shanghai's iconic haipai, or 'east meets west' aesthetics. So this city is really the perfect place for the move's debut.
    3 threads that I never thought would be relevant together for mutual posting:
    Celebrities studying martial arts?
    Mma & wwe
    Bajiquan
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another belt for Ronda

Rousey may well be the smartest MMA champion of them all by parlaying her UFC loss into a WWE win.

Ronda Rousey can follow WWE script to a winning legacy in the ring
    Martin Rogers, USA TODAY Published 3:20 p.m. ET Aug. 20, 2018 | Updated 3:21 p.m. ET Aug. 20, 2018

(Photo: Getty Images)

In case you missed it, Ronda Rousey was back with a championship belt around her waist last weekend. She defeated an outmatched opponent, laid down a signature move, took in the acclaim of the crowd and was the biggest story line to come out of a major pay-per-view.

Less than two years since her final, devastating defeat inside the Ultimate Fighting Championship octagon, Rousey has had her career rewritten for her in World Wrestling Entertainment, a scripted universe that protects her against all the unpredictability of mixed martial arts.

Don’t laugh now, but Rousey might have the most enviable position in sports.

The 31-year-old, who won the WWE Raw women’s title by “defeating” Alexa Bliss at SummerSlam on Sunday, still has pretty much everything she gained by changing the face of the UFC in a dominant run from early 2013 to the end of 2016.

She has a lucrative contract, gets to compete in front of packed audiences, is a household name, has continued her movie career (''Mile 22,'' her latest film, opened this weekend) and is able to showcase the athleticism that took her to an Olympic judo medal.

All that, without any of the downside, like getting punched and kicked and knocked out, like she was first by Holly Holm and then Amanda Nunes, to bring down the curtain on an extraordinary chapter in MMA’s evolution.

The WWE knows all about the power of name recognition and you can expect Rousey to enjoy a long run as champion. If she does lose, at least she’ll know all about it well in advance.

It wasn’t so long ago that Rousey was a figure of pity. She looked timid and tortured against the hungry and ferocious Nunes – who remains the UFC women’s bantamweight champ - in a 48-second, one-sided beatdown in Las Vegas in December 2016.

Amanda Nunes lands a punch during her 48-second beatdown of Ronda Rousey in December 2016. (Photo: Mark J. Rebilas, USA TODAY Sports)

She clearly was struggling with the pressure of her notoriety, not only shunning all interviews but rarely venturing out in public. It seemed to be the classic tale of a fallen star who couldn’t handle the spotlight, and the defeat solidified that sentiment.

With plenty of money in the bank it seemed then she might fade into obscurity. Instead, in the WWE she gets to rewrite her legacy – actually, scratch that - she gets to have her legacy rewritten by a Hollywood-worthy team of script writers.

Rousey’s life made for a pretty good film script in any case. She was unable to talk as a young child, lost her father to suicide, overcame bullying, won an Olympic medal, battled depression and somehow emerged from it all to transform fighting sports.

She loved to win, but it meant so much that losing crushed her soul.

The WWE is a perfect fit. Pro wrestling, or “sports entertainment,” still is derided by some. Rousey always has had admiration and respect for it, having loved Hulk Hogan as a kid and even borrowing her nickname of “Rowdy” from former wrestler Roddy Piper.

She will never be back in the UFC, unless desperate financial problems necessitate it, and there seems little chance of that happening. Rousey and husband Travis Browne live a simple existence based on sustainable living, meaning there’s no reason the money shouldn’t just pile up.

There’s little fun to be had back in the octagon. When Rousey started she was facing women who were training part-time while holding down jobs as waitresses and office workers. Now there is a huge stable of full-time athletes training constantly, some with ferocious desire and vicious striking power, like Nunes.

Modern sports is in a strange place and the lines between fantasy and promotional narrative never have been more blurred.

On Oct. 6, the biggest UFC card of the year will take place in Vegas, with Conor McGregor challenging Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight belt. McGregor is the UFC’s biggest star, having assumed that mantle from Rousey. But on the same night, three times as many people will be on hand to watch Rousey headline a show called WWE Super Show-Down. The viewing numbers will be far different, as will the way the events are handled by the mainstream media, yet it is easy to see how Rousey has had little trouble in convincing herself that what she’s doing now is just as significant as her previous incarnation.

The WWE event will be at a massive outdoor cricket stadium in Melbourne, Australia, just three miles from where her UFC title was lost against Holm in a stunning upset, and 16 hours before McGregor returns from his own UFC exile.

It is a remarkable twist in an ongoing tale, and such a coincidence that it could have been scripted, like much of Rousey’s legacy now is.

Follow Rogers on Twitter @RogersJourno

MMA & WWE & Ronda Rousey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sexy Star (Dulce Maria Garcia)

I thought we had a Luchador thread distinct from our MMA & WWE thread but I couldn't find one, so I just made one copying the lucha-related posts. We do have one for Lucha Underground on El Rey Network.

Former ‘Lucha Underground’ Wrestler Sexy Star to Make MMA Debut in Combate Americas (Exclusive)
    Dulce Maria Garcia was first-ever woman to win Lucha Underground Championship — and then came the Rosemary arm bar
    Tony Maglio | February 18, 2019 @ 11:00 AM

Combate Americas

Former “Lucha Underground” wrestler Sexy Star — real name Dulce Maria Garcia — is set to make her MMA debut in Hispanic mixed martial arts league Combate Americas, TheWrap has learned exclusively.

Garcia is undefeated (5-0) in her professional boxing career, but she to this point has never competed under mixed martial arts rules. Well, she’s got a few coming up: Combate Americas has signed Garcia to an exclusive, multi-fight deal.

Garcia’s first MMA fight is on Combate’s April 12 card in her hometown of Monterrey, Mexico.

The 36-year-old Garcia is both an accomplished and controversial pro wrestler. First, the good: She was the first woman in history to win the Lucha Underground Championship, which is an inter-gender (meaning men can wrestle women) title. In addition to her squared-circle time on “Lucha Underground,” Sexy Star is a three-time Lucha Libre AAA worldwide champion.

Now, the not so great: Sexy Star upset many wrestlers and promoters in Summer 2017, when a AAA TripleMania XXV four-way women’s match turned into a bit of a street fight — at least, between two competitors. Garcia was accused by another woman who wrestles under the ring name Rosemary of intentionally trying to injure her with an arm bar submission hold.

Read more about the incident here. As you might imagine, the attention and press that match got didn’t help Sexy Star’s wrestling career.

Garcia was not under contract with AAA at the time, her attorney told us. She was doing per-appearance wrestling at the time.

Plus, Garcia left “Lucha Underground” before Season 3 because she wanted to box and pursue mixed martial arts, per her camp. The El Rey Network show/promotion wanted a two-year deal that wouldn’t allow for such flexibility, Garcia’s lawyer told us.

“Lucha Underground” is a 60-minute (extra-)scripted professional wrestling show/drama on the Robert Rodriguez-owned cable channel. It premiered back in 2014, and has since amassed 127 episodes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP King Kong Bundy

Wrestling Legend King Kong Bundy Passes Away At 61-Years-Old

POSTED BY: RYAN SATIN MARCH 4, 2019

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned wrestling legend King Kong Bundy passed away this afternoon.

Bundy’s longtime friend David Herro made the announcement on Facebook writing, “Today we lost a Legend and a man I consider family. Rest in Peace Chris. We love you. Thank you for believing in me.”

Herro tells us he confirmed Bundy’s passing with the wrestler’s family, who asked him to make a post on Facebook letting people know.

Bundy most famously wrestled in the main event of WrestleMania 2 against Hulk Hogan.

No word at this time on the wrestler’s cause of death.

He was 61-years-old.
    Who could forget King Kong Bundy?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oriental Wrestling Entertainment

There's an embedded vid that is worth clicking through for the view.

China Wrestling: Shaolin Monks turn entertainers
    In ancient China, students trained in martial arts to protect their communities from bandits and other and other enemies. These days, it is more of a hobby but these men say professional wrestling has given them a new way to turn their passion into a career.

5 hours ago

A professional sports company in China is trying to combine traditional martial arts with American-style pro-wrestling.

Oriental Wrestling Entertainment has trained Shaolin monks to perform in the ring. Not everyone is convinced with the East-meets-West experiment.

Al Jazeera's Katrina Yu reports from Shanghai.
    THREADS
    Professional Wrestling
    shaolin wrestling
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oriental Wrestling Entertainment

There's an embedded vid that is worth clicking through for the view.

China Wrestling: Shaolin Monks turn entertainers
    In ancient China, students trained in martial arts to protect their communities from bandits and other and other enemies. These days, it is more of a hobby but these men say professional wrestling has given them a new way to turn their passion into a career.

5 hours ago

A professional sports company in China is trying to combine traditional martial arts with American-style pro-wrestling.

Oriental Wrestling Entertainment has trained Shaolin monks to perform in the ring. Not everyone is convinced with the East-meets-West experiment.

Al Jazeera's Katrina Yu reports from Shanghai.
    THREADS
    Professional Wrestling
    shaolin wrestling
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips