Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Roundhouse kick technique

If you throw your hip into the kick and allow it to go "over", its almost impossible NOT to pivot with the supporting foot.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you throw your hip into the kick and allow it to go "over", its almost impossible NOT to pivot with the supporting foot.
    the dutch are pretty good at it. They (at least the ones I worked with) also hate it when you let the kick go all the way around if you miss.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    So what do you do if you dont have room/time to take that step...do you pivot then?

My pivot happens as the leg comes up for the kick, so its not telegraphing anything the leg isnt....
    you pivot as the leg is raising? seems like that will take away from the kicks power.

If you don't have room to take that step, you are not in proper range for the kick anyway. However, to answer the question, yeah, I would pivot. but I have a background in other MA, so I was taught to pivot. I am not sure what a guy who was never taught to pivot would do - he may just throw another technique. If you are in infighting range, do you throw a hook, or try to force a jab even though you are too close? same thing.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I suppose it would depend on where my foot is at when i throw the kick, but just messing around throwing fast ones, its a simultaneous accurance for me, as my kicking leg begins to lift weight my pivot happens. not to say once the leg is already off the ground...if that makes sense.

as to the rest, that make sense.

does make me wonder what would be taught to one who does not pivot without a step for that particular scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    you pivot as the leg is raising? seems like that will take away from the kicks power.
    I don't think it does. You do away with a lot of friction if you pivot on the ball of your foot as you raise the leg. The trick is the shoulder, hip, and standing leg all have to turn at the same time. Here's a good example:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/672/kicker2tk9.gif
    Jack Dempsey: "What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?

It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.

Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile when its bodyweight is set into fast motion."

Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx View Post
    I don't think it does. You do away with a lot of friction if you pivot on the ball of your foot as you raise the leg. The trick is the shoulder, hip, and standing leg all have to turn at the same time. Here's a good example:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/672/kicker2tk9.gif
    that guy is stepping and then pivoting as he kicks. That's normal. If that's what Lucas was talking about, then no, I don't think that would detract from the power of the kick. That's not what I envisioned when I read his post though. In the pic you posted, the guy doesn't pivot as soon as his leg raises - he steps, and when his leg is about hip height and he's ready to actually throw the kick, he pivots.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

The degree of picot is also effected by the height of the kick in some methods.

I think that most can agree that some pivot of the support leg is better than no pivot, and that in kicks thrown with full hip rotation that pivoting is ideal, wither one pivots as we kick or pivots before the kick becomes one of personal preference I think.
    We can probably agree that, in regards to kicking counters to the support leg WHILE the leg is up or while the support leg carries the weight of the body during the kick, getting kicked there hurts like heck.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

sounds like someone is trying to bring this thread to a close...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

To pivot, or not to pivot.

Is that really the question?

did you read the whole thread, or just the last page?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Aww, common 7*, you know any thread on this forum that is 9 pages long stays so true to the original topic that you only need to read the last 3 or 4 posts to get the gist of the whole thread.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    To pivot, or not to pivot.

Is that really the question?
    There are so many variations! Even in Muay Thai, (espacially in the old styles) depending on how you want to affect the target there are different degrees of pivoting. Angulation of the strike also plays alot into it. It is much easier to pivot on a low kick than a high one.

Untarai

www.muaythaiokc.com