Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roundhouse kick technique

Can you describe the Muay Thai RH Kick?

Youtube and do a search for Muay Thai Round kick.

A video is worth 1000 words
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I pivot.

When you step into you don't get enough rotation of the foot, unless you’re freakishly flexible in the knee. And if you don't get enough rotation you place undue torque on your knee that can lead to problems.

My current teacher has us rotate our foot 180 degrees, which is I am not use to. I usually only turn ~135+ degrees, but I also usually pull my kick, so I don't need full rotation in those cases.

I have never had any balance problems with that method.

I also don't like the step in because it's a obvious visual "tell" for what your about to do, giving a perceptive opponent more time to set their defense and counter.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

One thing, if you don't pivot, what happens to your knee/support leg, if you get counter -kicked there while your leg is in the air ( typical MT counter) ?

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

I also don't like the step in because it's a obvious visual "tell" for what your about to do, giving a perceptive opponent more time to set their defense and counter.
    It certainly can be. I will step in from time to time, but the step is disguised with other techniques. It's not the usual way for me to throw the kick, but it's in the arsenal.

I think the MT kick is easier for people with poor hip flexibility to execute than the other two methods that we've talked about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The RH kick as I teach it is dependant upon the persons hip flexibility I teach a side chamber for those flexible and a fron chamber with roll over for those not so flexible. The problem is the 2nd kick puts alot of stress in the hip and knee. It can cause laxity of the knee over time. I start by having the person do a tight chamber with the toes of the base foot pointing toward the target or in front. as the chamber and kick progress I teach the person to pivot approximately 100-110 degrees away from the target. I respect the MT and TKD kick but remember there are 2 types of power. Driving through and snapping I prefer to combine both. If I am kicking at the head I aim one head depth past the target or 8-10 inches then I reverse rotate to set up other techniques. With this technique a fake kick is easier and more snapping/follow through power is there. Its all biomechanics and use of technique along with Physics. The MT TKD kick cover more area much like some wheel kicks or hook kicks remember the power is a culmination of the entire body at one moment and then the shorter the contact time the more power is driven into the target. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Now This is a Forum

Coming from a Northern Shaolin Background, I have experienced value in
    MT and TKD methods, I admittedly do signature kicking warmups from these styles also because their approach adds much to my other practice- I won't go
    without it; each style seems to stress different areas and..he-hee.. They work
    great against those who use a similar system..
    I have been dying to get around such great mixed minds- Love your quotes, let me throw this out there-I disagree mostly about the "never" and "always" rules about chamber and not chamber because I know both will work great if the response is right- Concerning a spinning hook kick: what's your view on which is better, the chambered throw or the straight-leg-throw? I have seen both ways done lightning fast, and I have seen "strict rule" stylists slop their own rules and make it work. Imagine you have a choice; you have already looked over your shoulder and you can execute both with equal speed.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    One called kwaichang itdidn't work for you. O.K.

There are two types of round house as front support leg and rear support leg. I was referring to a front support leg Round house kick. One called kwaichang you mentioned getting pushed before finishing the kick--impact then balance will be hard to maintain...Then improve your Balance one might think.. And One called kwaichang mentioned it was a slower recovery. That makes sense. But I because of that have the variation of doing other than recover...go to a new kick from the support leg. Also, shift kick to, a block from one leg, if you are slower than to retract.

My pivot is completed before the kick. My knee aims. Aim passed the target to have more force and hit with follow-through before I lock-out--. Sweeps hitting the target If I get pushed I recover with a hop, my kicking leg is set to return to rear support. Or I ready for impact and chose how to recover/get-up or attack on the way down (to keep them back some more than to actually damage.

No_Know

One called kwaichang I find spinning on the heel is so close to center of the leg line to the hip, off-balance is much less.

Kicking to the air has one set of balance issues. Landing a kick has it's set of balance issues. What kick has No balance issues?

I hope you get the answers that help, on your topic.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

9. I pivot. I feel that I telegraph less with pivoting compared to stepping in. Kicks are generally easy to see best take every advantage one can.

Its all about set up but technically there are 2 types of RH kicks really, the follow through and the snapping I dont really have balance issues but some beginners might so the pivot allows for more support than not. The further the pivot the more reach and support. What one does should be tailored to that person over time, it might change, also I do not prefer the straight leg kicks they are too easily countered. KC

I prefer the front chamber because it is a "Fake out". They don't immediately know that a round house is coming. But I almost only use the Front chamber for RHK's aimed at the head, and I snap it.

For body and leg kicks I prefer the follow though method and chamber at an angle that allows me to really drive my hips into the kick. No more than 45 degrees off center.

I don't normally use RHK's to the body, because of the grab-ability factor.

Everything is conditionally to it's own proper time and place, there are no universal techniques that always work, under all conditions.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    I prefer the front chamber because it is a "Fake out". They don't immediately know that a round house is coming. But I almost only use the Front chamber for RHK's aimed at the head, and I snap it.

Everything is conditionally to it's own proper time and place, there are no universal techniques that always work, under all conditions.
    It is a good fake out, and with the front chamber you could also be throwing two or three different kicks with the same inital motion.

Also the front chamber doubles well as a leg check/block.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The problem with the front chamber is it does not have the power of the "side" chambered RH kick true one can throw multiple kicks from that chamber but if you do decide to throw the RH kick the angle of attack is not as sharp as otherwise . That said the kick itself can be jammed and no kicks thrown that in my Humble Opinion is the problem with that kick How do the so called "traditional Chinese Martial Artists throw a RH kick.???? KC

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One thing, if you don't pivot, what happens to your knee/support leg, if you get counter -kicked there while your leg is in the air ( typical MT counter) ?
    drop your center of gravity. you'll usually end up taking the counter on the meaty part of your thigh, with still smarts like he!!, but not damaging like taking it on a joint. You can also abort the kick and step in. Which can leave you open to elbows and knees, but it's fighting. You're bound to be open to something at some time.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    drop your center of gravity. you'll usually end up taking the counter on the meaty part of your thigh, with still smarts like he!!, but not damaging like taking it on a joint. You can also abort the kick and step in. Which can leave you open to elbows and knees, but it's fighting. You're bound to be open to something at some time.
    Hmmm. no I mean, what happens WHEN you take a kick on the supporting leg and your foot is not pivoted?
    If the toes are pointed AWAY from your opponent that is one thing.
    If they are pointed at a 90, that is another and if they are even less than 90, that is another thing too.
    I would think that the toes pointed away at 180 or as close as possible would be better, no?