Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roundhouse kick technique

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hmmm. no I mean, what happens WHEN you take a kick on the supporting leg and your foot is not pivoted?
    If the toes are pointed AWAY from your opponent that is one thing.
    If they are pointed at a 90, that is another and if they are even less than 90, that is another thing too.
    I would think that the toes pointed away at 180 or as close as possible would be better, no?
    Not quite getting what you meen? A step-in still has your foot turned 90` from you body, you just step into it rather than planing the suppot leg then pivoting. Your knee is very vulerable wile transfering your weight from the rear leg to the front leg, but once the weight is transfered, it's reletively easy to protect the support knee. A simple half moon jump will get your weight back off the exposed knee before damage can occure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

There are Two "typical" MT counters to a round kick:
    Kick the supporting leg on the "inside" which means you will be making contact with the supporting legs "back" and kick the supporting leg on the "outside", which would be the supporting legs "front".
    My question was the potential injuries and how the pivot foot effects that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I get that. The key to the step-in vs. step then pivot, is where you are when the counter connects. It's a' goin' a' hurt no mater what. That's the nature of a MT counter. But if it is comming from the outside, you can drop your weight and catching on the meaty, and tensed, outer thigh. This friggin hurts and the muscle could spasm, but it isn't as bad as a blown out knee.

If it's an inside counter you could either step in and risk the elbows or try a half moon jump. moon jumps are very good when they work, but that is only about 50% of the time in my experience.

In any of these senarios, the kick needs to be aborted or completed before the counter makes contact.

edit: as for injuries, you really, really don't want to get hit with only part of your weight on the front foot while it is at a 90` angle from you body. One of the suposedly "useless" stance exersizes, twisted stance, helps train you to sink fast if you see something comming for the knee of your lead leg.
    Last edited by Becca; 02-04-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    edit: as for injuries, you really, really don't want to get hit with only part of your weight on the front foot while it is at a 90` angle from you body. One of the suposedly "useless" stance exersizes, twisted stance, helps train you to sink fast if you see something comming for the knee of your lead leg.
    You mean there's hidden applications in stance work? Who would have thunk it?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I get that. The key to the step-in vs. step then pivot, is where you are when the counter connects. It's a' goin' a' hurt no mater what. That's the nature of a MT counter. But if it is comming from the outside, you can drop your weight and catching on the meaty, and tensed, outer thigh. This friggin hurts and the muscle could spasm, but it isn't as bad as a blown out knee.

If it's an inside counter you could either step in and risk the elbows or try a half moon jump. moon jumps are very good when they work, but that is only about 50% of the time in my experience.

In any of these senarios, the kick needs to be aborted or completed before the counter makes contact.

You should block kicks on the front of your thigh, not the outside meaty part, whether it's tensed or not. The nerve the attacker is aiming for (in Muay Thai/San Da) runs down the outer thigh--why give them a gift and expose it?

Turn your knee TOWARD the kick, not away from it. This works for both the inside and outside kick, and leaves you in a perfect position to counter with your hands.

I like to counter the roundkick with a hard right cross, but that's just me.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-04-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I know it's best to block with the front of the thigh. But I have never had anyone seriously counter my roundhouse slow enough to set up the block that way. If the front of my thigh was facing their check, it was because they caught me off balance, literally and figuratively.

dam... I need a camcorder to show you what I meen.

Injuries

I wouldnt turn my front of my leg into the kick you are asking for far more injuries than turning away from the kick. Most of the muscles and tendons are used to prevent Hyper extension. also I would rather have less than more weight on the leg also there is no superficial nerve in the outer area of the thigh , I think you are talking about the IT Band and some GB pressure points or other pressure points. Imagine stance training and pressure points while talking about fighting. What is this world coming to. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I wouldnt turn my front of my leg into the kick you are asking for far more injuries than turning away from the kick. Most of the muscles and tendons are used to prevent Hyper extension. also I would rather have less than more weight on the leg also there is no superficial nerve in the outer area of the thigh , I think you are talking about the IT Band and some GB pressure points or other pressure points. Imagine stance training and pressure points while talking about fighting. What is this world coming to. KC
    Both Cung Le and LKFMDC show this technique on their DVDs. I use it effectively and teach my guys to do it as well.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Ill do with and without stepping in. I generally pivot to 180 degree. Depends on the set up. My most successfull RH kicks have generally always been after a feignt of some sort.

One of my best track records with RH kicks to the body have followed a feignt with a left RH kick to the body, droping into a forward 45degree plant and snapping with the right (jumping into the kick as the left drops, saves time). probably 80-85% success ratio of all the times ive used it in sparring practices. Plus its super fun.

On average though I like to aim my RH kicks to your legs. Calf/thigh in sparring, with the intention of striking during a weight bearing moment on that leg, which in a more realistic scenario would be the knee.

Edit: I pivot on the ball of my foot.
    Last edited by Lucas; 02-04-2008 at 03:05 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Which technique do you speak of the kick or the positiopn of the leg in the kick/? There are no significant superficial nerves in the lateral thigh area. There atre PP's though aim approx 5-7 inches above the knee on the lateral thigh and see what happens KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Which technique do you speak of the kick or the positiopn of the leg in the kick/? There are no significant superficial nerves in the lateral thigh area. There atre PP's though aim approx 5-7 inches above the knee on the lateral thigh and see what happens KC
    LOL! I thought that, too... then I got a tattoo there. Trust me, there's lots of superficial nerves in the lateral thigh.

My main problem with catching a counter on the front thigh of my support leg is that the front of my thigh is on the flank stability-wise, if you know what I meen. I'm on one leg bracing for the impact of pushing through a kick. It's just not safe for the joints to allow a counter to connect cross wise to how your body is braced. You can injure your knee from the front/back as easily as from the side.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I like to pivot.

Bas Rutten says it's not necessary.
    Well we all know Bas Rutten is the authority so we shouldn't go against him.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Well we all know Bas Rutten is the authority so we shouldn't go against him.
    We can't all get our training techniques from old Kung Fu movies, now can we?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You should block kicks on the front of your thigh, not the outside meaty part, whether it's tensed or not. The nerve the attacker is aiming for (in Muay Thai/San Da) runs down the outer thigh--why give them a gift and expose it?

Turn your knee TOWARD the kick, not away from it. This works for both the inside and outside kick, and leaves you in a perfect position to counter with your hands.

I like to counter the roundkick with a hard right cross, but that's just me.
    Why would you block a kick with your thigh? Why not just not be there when the kick get to it's intended target. Simply put, just move.

Talking

No we can't but there are some techniques that are worth while in those old kung fu movies. Haven't you ever caught a broadsword blade with your chop sticks before?