Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roundhouse kick technique

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Typical response from a Canadian or from the English. Do you hold you little finger out also while you sip your tea? Soccer sucks. You run run and run the whole game and then the final score is one to zero. Or zero to zero. Thats exciting (not). Try a real sport like collage wrestling or even high school wrestling. Thats a rough sport.
    Don't recall anyone coming at me with steel "spikes" when I wrestled...

I played Rugby, Footbal, American Footbal ( well, canadian anyways) and of course Hockey.
    They all have their injury issues, but in my view, the most telling sport is full contact syncronized swimming !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    With out Motor nerve you cant move your leg so you are a sitting duck. KC
    As many times as you tell other to READ YOUR POst, I would think you would bother to read the post you are critisizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    ... Sensory pain may not be as long term disabling as motor nerve pain, but in a fight, long term is not the (only) focus....
    I'm not in the habit of maiming my training partners. With as much respect as you seem to draw around here, I'm a bit shocked that you seem to think seriously injuring others for training is acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Becca

Are we talking about training ??? Then pull the technique if not then go for it. You are the one that needs to read the post it was informative and said nothing about maiming a training partner. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Train to pull the technique and you'll pull it when you need to make it count. What's wrong with just being respectful of your training partners? Or in your case voluntary victims?
    Last edited by Becca; 02-07-2008 at 07:58 AM.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

?????

What is a Volutary Vicoms ?????? I personally can shoot holes in the old rumor that if you pull techniques you will pull them in a real situation. That is Bull #$@^.
    I have heard that for 35 years and know for a fact it is not true. It is a rumor started by those who want to kick or hit less experienced people. I dont think maiming is acceptable but I thought we were talking about fighting something you seem to know nothing about. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Wow, this thread degenerated nicely and you can't even blame me for it. I see a trend here.

Train to pull the technique and you'll pull it when you need to make it count. What's wrong with just being respectful of your training partners? Or in your case, volutary vicoms?
    DO you break a lot of arms during armbar drills? You have to pull just about EVERY technique to train it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    What is a Volutary Vicoms ?????? I personally can shoot holes in the old rumor that if you pull techniques you will pull them in a real situation. That is Bull #$@^.
    I have heard that for 35 years and know for a fact it is not true. It is a rumor started by those who want to kick or hit less experienced people. I dont think maiming is acceptable but I thought we were talking about fighting something you seem to know nothing about. KC
    Yes, you got me for not taking the time to write my post elsewere so I could spellcheck it, then copying it over here. Very good. I'm proud of you.

You personally don’t believe that pulling punches during training causes a person to pull them when it counts. I do. But is it still a rumor if it is scientifically proven? Or is it a case of you refusing to let go of opinions that have been proven wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    DO you break a lot of arms during armbar drills? You have to pull just about EVERY technique to train it.

I’ll go a bit further with my theory than “Train to pull a technique and you will pullit when you need it.”

Training to pull a technique will teach you to pull that technique when and if you ever need to use it “live". This is not a bad thing. It is not a good thing. It is a simple fact, with any inflection being added by the way we apply it to a situation.

Do I pull arm bars when I train them? Yes. But then, I can’t really think of a single actual situation where I would need to dislocate someone’s shoulder deliberately, either in training or real life. Not even in a self-defense capacity, since that would most certainly send be to jail for excessive force, even if they guy had been threatening me with a fire arm.

Do I train to pull punches or kicks? No, not unless I'm sparring someone who has never seen that technique. I train to use control when I throw out a technique, but that is not the same as pulling it. Pulling a technique limits the power of a strike, true. Control can also limit the power of a strike, but it also encompasses focus, speed and intent.

Very few people spar full contact on a regular basis, even pro boxers don't.
    hard contact yes, full, no.
    Sure you may have one or two session per week where you will, but the majority is contact that is hard enough to be realistic without trying to paste someone through the ring.

Training to pull a technique will teach you to pull that technique when and if you ever need to use it “live". This is not a bad thing. It is not a good thing. It is a simple fact, with any inflection being added by the way we apply it to a situation.
    Based upon what objective foundation? It may be a fact for you, but how can you say it is a fact for me, KC, MK or anyone else? You can say it, but it doesn't make it a fact (just an assertion based on your experience alone).
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Based upon what objective foundation? It may be a fact for you, but how can you say it is a fact for me, KC, MK or anyone else? You can say it, but it doesn't make it a fact (just an assertion based on your experience alone).
    I also stated that this was my theory. I even when on to explain a bit of the difference between "pulling a punch" and "using control" as it relates to my theory.

In the past I have had my ribs broken twice in sparring. While wearing a chest protector both times. The first time I finished my match, then sparred 2 more 3 minute rounds. The first instance I told no one in an attempt to test myself. The second it was only the one match. I learned a lot about myself in those few minutes.

Another thing I learned is the importance of control. I still wouldnt ask my sparring partners to pull their techniques, but I would certainly ask of them a larger amount of control.

I think it is important, in a free sparring format, to not pull our techniques, but to use control instead. Controled sparring however, especially regarding beginners, pulling your techniques can aid in the learning process. How many beginners do you know with good control, especially regarding kicks.

Again it comes down to there being a right time and place for everything.

The only time I consider pulling a technique of any use is when you are first learning to apply that technique in a sparring format. Once you become comfortable with the usage, and understand the technique, then begin with controlling yourself rather than pulling the technique.

1 stage at a time.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    In the past I have had my ribs broken twice in sparring. While wearing a chest protector both times. The first time I finished my match, then sparred 2 more 3 minute rounds. The first instance I told no one in an attempt to test myself. The second it was only the one match. I learned a lot about myself in those few minutes.

Another thing I learned is the importance of control. I still wouldnt ask my sparring partners to pull their techniques, but I would certainly ask of them a larger amount of control.

I think it is important, in a free sparring format, to not pull our techniques, but to use control instead. Controled sparring however, especially regarding beginners, pulling your techniques can aid in the learning process. How many beginners do you know with good control, especially regarding kicks.

Again it comes down to there being a right time and place for everything.

The only time I consider pulling a technique of any use is when you are first learning to apply that technique in a sparring format. Once you become comfortable with the usage, and understand the technique, then begin with controlling yourself rather than pulling the technique.

1 stage at a time.
    I can tell you this, there are probably more injures when you are padded than when you go with less padding, guys tend to drill harder when their is padding involved.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I can tell you this, there are probably more injures when you are padded than when you go with less padding, guys tend to drill harder when their is padding involved.
    I hear that.

NOW what about those guys, and we all know at least one, that never pull or control their techniques.

They come out from the beginning with full force and never slow down. What is up with those guy?

Do they simply never understand control, or do they just not really care? Combination of both? Or both depending
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.