Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Roundhouse kick technique

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    I pivot.

When you step into you don't get enough rotation of the foot, unless you’re freakishly flexible in the knee. And if you don't get enough rotation you place undue torque on your knee that can lead to problems.

My current teacher has us rotate our foot 180 degrees, which is I am not use to. I usually only turn ~135+ degrees, but I also usually pull my kick, so I don't need full rotation in those cases.

I have never had any balance problems with that method.

I also don't like the step in because it's a obvious visual "tell" for what your about to do, giving a perceptive opponent more time to set their defense and counter.

The step in...well... angle step, cuz you don't step straight in - has a dual purpose. One is to aid with power in the kick. The other - And MK mentioned it already, somewhat - is to avoid a counter. MK said that his favorite counter to the roundhouse was the cross. That is a devastating counter and you are wide open for it if you don't step offline when you throw the kick.

Also remember that the roundhouse, like anyother power technique, needs to be set up. Whether you step or pivot, any idiot can counter it if you throw the kick by itself. the step should be used in conjunction with something to set it up.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 02-12-2008 at 09:56 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by martialartspeon View Post
    I pivot. I feel that I telegraph less with pivoting compared to stepping in. Kicks are generally easy to see best take every advantage one can.
    a spinning backfist is easy to see. So is a cross. you have to set them up.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I pivot myself, it allows my kick to go alonger distance.

but the further the distance, the less power... that applies whether you pivot or not.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    when you turn the leg into the kick, you do a few things:

1. you are getting your sciatic nerve outta the way - you don't wanna get hit there and your leg get all numb...

2. you open your hips, which takes away the possibility of turning you. lift your leg straight up and have someone hit the outside of your leg. What happens? your body turns. quite obviously then, a hard strike can turn you far more than you would like it to. Now, turn your thigh or shin INTO the oncoming strike. What happens? your body doesn't turn.

3. by turning into the kick, the shin and knee are now shields. It hurts to kick those.

In muay thai, I have never been taught any other way. In TMA though, yeah, they just told us to pick up the leg. I prefer the former.
    what about picking the leg up AND turning into the kick.

Ive had some fun turning my leg opposite of the leg they are kicking at while picking it up. Unless the guys shins are conditioned you usually end up with a chuckle.

I know that leaves you comprimized, but its fun.

Ive also seen defenders break the attackers leg like that, in MT fights, though ive never trained MT.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    what about picking the leg up AND turning into the kick.
    of course. but the posts I was responding to were referring to just taking it on the leg.

Ive had some fun turning my leg opposite of the leg they are kicking at while picking it up. Unless the guys shins are conditioned you usually end up with a chuckle.
    yeah, we teach that also. Not as much though.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Question ??? if you wanted to kick the Sciatic nerve where exactly would you kick ??? You all seem to be talking about it. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well that isnt the front of the leg now is it. Nor is it shallow as a matter of fact the sciatic nerve originates in the Low Back and splits in the thigh area and sooner so again I ask where is the sciatic nerve the most vulnerable and most shallow?? And where would YOU kick it KC Hint I am going to kick your Butt haha
    Last edited by kwaichang; 02-12-2008 at 06:08 PM.

The original ????? Is what not blocking but when you get kicked on the supporting leg during the kick KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    The original ????? Is what not blocking but when you get kicked on the supporting leg during the kick KC
    Yeah well....things get lost in the shuffle
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

And to that, I submit that getting kicked on the supporting leg could, depending on what direction the check comes in from, get you in the sciatic nerve. And this su,cks - you drop like a sack of potatos, can't get back up and have no idea why because the pain don't start right away. That starts with horrible pins-and-needles. If you'r lucky, it didn't bruise the nerve, if not you are not going to be walking much for at least a week.

And yes, a MT trained fighter will go after the nerve. It takes repeted blows to the back/outer theigh to get it. Kung fu usually go after the sciatic in the calf area, AKA "being ham strug."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I've had my leg go numb from getting kicked in the butt. Weird sensation. It got better quickly, but I had to take a few moments to let it recover. It was like hitting your funny bone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I blocked a kick with my shin one time (was even wearing shin guards) and couldn't stand on it for about an hour.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I blocked a kick with my shin one time (was even wearing shin guards) and couldn't stand on it for about an hour.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, blocking always hurts if the strike comes in with power.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    no doubt. it can hurt.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter