Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Roundhouse kick technique

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Well that isnt the front of the leg now is it. Nor is it shallow as a matter of fact the sciatic nerve originates in the Low Back and splits in the thigh area and sooner so again I ask where is the sciatic nerve the most vulnerable and most shallow?? And where would YOU kick it KC Hint I am going to kick your Butt haha
    I'm lost now... who said it was in the front?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think he's confused. I mentioned that I didn't like to take hits on the front thigh of my support leg right after stating that there was plenty of superficial nerves in the lateral thigh. post# 41.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Ok Ok Ok Ok Ok

Here is the response I am searching for. I have never seen a fighter good enough in MMA or MT to kick the sciatic nerve. It is too deep in the leg to be attacked independently and damage done to it. The Sciatic nerve does not extend into the lower leg below the knee it splits prior to that and becomes the tibial and deep peroneal prior to that it becomes the Femoral and Obturator If you want to call it the Sciatic thats OK but you are wrong.
    The only one to "GET" it was JP the nerve is best attacked where the hollow of the glutes are at or below the sciatic notch. The nerve it self is so small in diameter that I feel what you are doing is traumatizing the surrounding Muculature and causing a charley horse effect . Also if you are fighting and you turn your thigh into the counter kick sure you will protect the IT Band but put your knee at jeopardy , your choice though. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Here is the response I am searching for. I have never seen a fighter good enough in MMA or MT to kick the sciatic nerve. It is too deep in the leg to be attacked independently and damage done to it. The Sciatic nerve does not extend into the lower leg below the knee it splits prior to that and becomes the tibial and deep peroneal prior to that it becomes the Femoral and Obturator If you want to call it the Sciatic thats OK but you are wrong.
    1. kicking below the knee is NOT what we are referring to.

2. the sciatic is used as a reference point. The heart punch I'd imagine was named with a similar idea in mind. the liver punch may have been also, since some of that is actually under the ribcage. Regardless, you feel pain.

The only one to "GET" it was JP the nerve is best attacked where the hollow of the glutes are at or below the sciatic notch. The nerve it self is so small in diameter that I feel what you are doing is traumatizing the surrounding Muculature and causing a charley horse effect . Also if you are fighting and you turn your thigh into the counter kick sure you will protect the IT Band but put your knee at jeopardy , your choice though. KC
    keep the knee raised or bent.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yOU CANNOT BEND THE HIP AND KNEE IF YOU ARE STANDING ON IT TO KICK WITH THE OTHER LEG. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I like to pivot.

Bas Rutten says it's not necessary.
    Bas has massive power in his kicks. I honestly think its a matter of preference. My round kicks suck so don't listen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Bas has massive power in his kicks. I honestly think its a matter of preference. My round kicks suck so don't listen to me.
    Where do you have trouble? Mine is maintaining control after execution of the kick. Leg just doesn't want to stop after the target.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    If you don't pivot the foot when doing that kick it appears to me that you would be putting undue stress on the leg because your twisting your leg from the ankle up to get that rotation needed to throw that round kick to compensate for not pivoting the foot. It looks like that it would hurt your knee in the long run. You have to have that rotation in order to get the correct angle for your foot for it to be a roundhouse kick. Am I explaining myself clearly.....lol???

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Where do you have trouble? Mine is maintaining control after execution of the kick. Leg just doesn't want to stop after the target.
    LOL I'm not even sure about the kick (so don't listen to me really).

Why stop after the target? why not just kick through it?

I have less pressure on my knee if I pre-turn my foot and don't use the balls of my feet.

yOU CANNOT BEND THE HIP AND KNEE IF YOU ARE STANDING ON IT TO KICK WITH THE OTHER LEG. KC
    Okay, we're back to the base leg now... I think that may be where confusion is. the discussion went from base leg to the blocking leg at various points... the kick to the sciatic is NOT kicking the base leg - it's a target for a leg kick on a leg that is planted. (Now I see why you mentioned kicking below the new a few posts up)

If you are doing any type of raised leg block, or even kicking above knee level you are putting that leg at risk for a cut kick to the base leg. From a CMA perspective, the golden rooster stance comes to mind. the base leg is wide open.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    If you don't pivot the foot when doing that kick it appears to me that you would be putting undue stress on the leg because your twisting your leg from the ankle up to get that rotation needed to throw that round kick to compensate for not pivoting the foot. It looks like that it would hurt your knee in the long run. You have to have that rotation in order to get the correct angle for your foot for it to be a roundhouse kick. Am I explaining myself clearly.....lol???
    When you step without the pivot (I think I mentioned this in an earlier post) you step outward at an angle. your foot will already be in the position it would be if you used a pivot.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    When you step without the pivot (I think I mentioned this in an earlier post) you step outward at an angle. your foot will already be in the position it would be if you used a pivot.
    Which is how I usually throw a roundhouse kick. It works for me because my flexibility is less than optimal and concealing the turn of the foot in a step (while using hands/other techniques as a set up) allows me to cheat my hips open and fire a kick faster without having to pivot during the motion of the kick itself.

From the way I was first taught to throw a roundhouse kick, I always thought this was "cheating" but it worked for me so I keep doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

so do I, unless I am throwing a lead leg kick.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

So what do you do if you dont have room/time to take that step...do you pivot then?

My pivot happens as the leg comes up for the kick, so its not telegraphing anything the leg isnt....

messing around in the office i noticed that:

when i do take a step forward i step at a 45 degree angle then pivot the rest as my leg leaves the ground.